Howl's Moving Castle Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond the Indigo Veil ❯ Chapter 4: Lord of Ice ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Beyond the Indigo Veil: Part I of the Wallmaker Saga
Chapter 4: Lord of Ice
After the Wizard Agyrus' arrival, it took some time to get the castle settled back down again. Granny Witch refused to go back to bed, peering fretfully from behind her curtain at the two wizards who gazed at one another impassively over the kitchen table. Heen was hiding under her bed, wheezing a gurgled growl from time to time. Thankfully Markl had not woken; Sophie did not want to expose the warm little boy to the icy man that had intruded into their home.
Calcifer had obliged to boil some water, making very loud and nasty comments about their visitor. Sophie had wordlessly served the two of them tea. The fire daemon spent the rest of the icy wizard's visit crackling loudly and blowing huge plums of black smoke up the chimney. Every so often the silver-haired witch caught sight of the spark making faces at Howl's uncle. Unfortunately, his antics did nothing to cheer the mood.
“You keep odd company, nephew.” Agyrus finally spoke, his deep voice resonating like a brass bell. Obviously he disapproved, his voice made that plain in spite of his frozen face.
“I am proud of my family,” Howl replied evenly, his handsome face an emotionless mask.
“Yes,” Agyrus replied, but his eyes wandered over Sophie. The silver-haired woman felt pinned in place by the intensity of his stare. She felt exposed before him, like the north wind was blowing through the window of her soul.
“I will thank you not to harass my wife,” Howl's voice took on an edge of anger; he unfolded his arms and placed a hand on her own.
“I am merely curious, Howl. Her circumstances are… unique.”
Agyrus spoke through her, as though she were some interesting trinket he had found in a shop. Sophie felt an immediate surge of sympathy for the childhood Howl had endured with this chunk of ice as his only family. She saw him note the sapphires jewels at her ears and his gazed lingered a long time on the pendant around her neck.
“Her name is Sophie Hatter, uncle. It would please me greatly if you would be considerate to my wife while you are in our home,” Howl's words were gracious but his tone was not.
“Yes. Your castle. Is that not what you call it? How quaint.”
Agyrus turned his stony gaze to take in the kitchen. Sophie would not have been surprised if the ceiling and the rest of the room had frosted over under his gaze
“What do you want, Uncle?”
“I came to see for myself how far my brother's son had fallen from his destined path. I find he has fallen far, pretending to be what he is not by living a common life.”
“Uncle, if you are not going to be civil I will have to ask you to leave,” Howl's tone became darker.
The shadows in the kitchen deepened but Agyrus was not impressed. Instead he turned his gaze back to Sophie, who met his eyes without flinching this time, in spite of the color that climbed into her cheeks. She looked back hard, trying to see past the ice and catch sight of the man. She received a startling flash of the scorched plain. Quickly, Agyrus' gaze moved back to Howl as the younger wizard shifted angrily.
“You brought this visit on yourself by not attending to my summons. Suliman was always lenient with you. I, however, shall not be so indulgent.”
“I will thank you to leave Suliman out of this, Uncle. It is unbefitting of you to speak ill of the dead. However, I dare say your presence was not missed at her funeral,” Howl's eyes flashed dangerously.
“Don't be pert with me, boy. You will be held accountable for your responsibilities. You will lend your support to the Reckoning. I have returned to see to that,” Agyrus' voice echoed strongly, punctuating each point sonorously.
“And if I refuse?”
“I will come to collect you myself. I warn you not to let it come to that. Good evening, nephew.”
With that the elder wizard stood quickly, wrapping himself in his cloak of sky. His formed dissolved into shadow and wind as the front door burst open. The great shape flew backwards out into the night, slamming the door closed after him.
“Oh, what a sad, sad man,” Granny witch murmured and let her curtain fall back.
For a long while there was only the gentle sound of Calcifer's fire. The little daemon gave a great snort of black smoke and hunkered down into the ashes.
“I can't BELIEVE you wanted him to come to the wedding, Howl,” Cal snapped and crackled crankily, “What a grump!”
Howl let out a long gusty breath and leaned forward, hiding his face in his hands. The shadows in the kitchen lifted, and the gentle starlight outside ushered in the feeling of home that had fled a minute before.
“I was hoping he had changed,” Howl murmured, “I was fool to think so. I'm sorry if he scared you, Sophie. He's really not a bad person.”
“That man is your uncle?” Sophie still could not see how that pillar of ice was in anyway related to Howl. She placed a consoling hand on his shoulder and pushed his tea a little closer to him encouragingly.
“He is only blood kin I have left. But don't think too harshly of him, dear one,” Howl murmured between sips of his tea, “Like greed consumed the witch of the wastes, uncle Agyrus let himself be consumed by his sorrow. I did so want to spare you from this, Sophie,” he said plainly, leaning forward again to place his face in one of his hands.
“Please, Howl, don't keep things from me. Won't you please tell me what is going on?”
Sophie took in the tired expression on her husband's face with worry.
“Whatever the trouble is I know I can help you. We need to work together, but I can't do that if you keep me in the dark. I know you want to protect me, but we need to work together, as a family,” Sophie replied firmly, but lovingly.
Her earnest eyes managed to catch his as he glanced sideways at her. He seemed afraid for a moment, but that passed quickly as his look melted into love. Reaching out he gathered her to him, tucking her head under his chin. Pressing her ear against his chest to listen to the quick beats of his heart.
“How did I manage to marry such a wonderful witch?” He murmured as he stroked her hair.
“I'm a blessing and a curse. Don't change the subject,” she listened to him chuckle, not releasing him from her arms.
“Calcifer, do you remember what our original bargain was?”
The little spark flew over and settled on a special trivet they kept on the table just for him. Looking up at Howl, the fire daemon blinked solemn eyes.
“Yup. I fell from the sky as a star, but I didn't want to die. You gave me your heart so I could live in exchange for my promise that I would stay with you always. We were both pretty lonely back then.”
The little spark blew a ring of smoke then looked up at them shyly, turning a rosy pink, “As much as I complain I still think it was the best deal I ever made.”
“Thank you, Cal. We're glad you're still with us.”
Howl smiled kindly at the flame, which looked away bashfully. Settling back into his chair, the raven-haired wizard began an unexpected tale.
“Both of my parents' died a long time ago in a great battle between opposing sides of sorcerers called the Mage War. I have heard the story told so many times so many ways I'm not sure who was right and who was wrong. All I know is it was a pointless war, like all wars are. But it was made all the more hideous because of the magic used to fight it.
“Unfortunately magic is a fickle thing, prone to the whims of those who wield it. All the hate and all the suffering of the Mage War made the magic of the otherworld begin to turn against the mortal world. You've seen the aftermath of that magic gone wrong on the scorched plain in the otherworld.
“Remember what Suliman said? Sometimes the best of intentions can cause the worst tragedies.
“Uncle played a large part in bringing about the end of the Mage War. He somehow managed to show both sides that their conflict was going beyond the mortal world and was destroying the otherland as well. He convinced them that if they did not stop, the darkness would seep through and consume everything.
“The otherworld is a sacred place to sorcerers. I think the fact that their battle had reached beyond the indigo veil shook he Mages to their bones. The remaining witches and wizards banded together and built the Dull Wall, which holds back the Dark. It was a difficult achievement and many lost their lives in its making, my parents included. However, the Dull Wall is mortal magic and erodes quickly under the winds of the otherworld.
“The survivors of the Mage War knew this, so they formed a council that would meet whenever the wall thins and the Dark begins to seep through. These meetings are called The Reckoning. It is the responsibility of the council to deal with the Wall in order to ensure that balance is preserved.
Howl paused here to take a sip of tea and seeing that he held the rapt attention of his audience he continued.
“Before I met Calcifer I was a very lonely child. Going home to my uncle made things worse because he always ignored me. Probably because I remind him too much of my dead parents. Back then he was not so unfeeling to ignore that his absence hurt me just as much as his presence; hence he gave me the cottage above Star Lake.
“I was far enough into my apprenticeship at that time that I could care of myself. Suliman knew my parents very well, and I think it was out of respect for their memory that she let me get away with more than I should have.
“I do know that I greatly disappointed both her and my uncle when I made my bargain with Calcifer and ran away from the royal academy. Once they discovered my curse, they had to put aside their hopes that I would join the Council. To them I had become the very thing they worked to prevent.
“However, I never had any intentions of joining with them. The Wizards on the council have become self important, loosing sight of the real reasons for their vigilance. It's rather ironic. They have fallen prey to their own personal daemons and are blind to that fact.
“Dear Suliman's daemon was pride. She was convinced that she had the answer to everything and that it was within her power to fix things. Agyrus' daemon is sorrow. He has lost so much that he decided to save himself from pain by ceasing to feel at all.
“I think that my curse was self inflicted as well. It had nothing to do with the fact that I gave away my heart to save the life of a falling star. I fell before my own daemon: fear.
“I feared that I would never be loved, so I gave my heart away thinking I would have no use for it. My sorrow slowly consumed me, turning me into the monster I felt I was inside. And yet I discovered that I still desired to be loved, even with an empty chest. So I filled that hole with the pursuit of empty pleasures.
“Until I met you Sophie,” Howl gave his wife another squeeze and kissed the top of her head, “Before you I don't think I've ever truly loved or been loved.”
He paused, staring at the front door as though divining some distant secret.
“I don't begrudge my Uncle or the Wizard's Council their personal failings. Of all people I have no right to that. But I cannot abide by the way they meddle in the lives of others and I simply refuse to let people tell me how to live my life.
“Despite all that has happened, they think they know what is best for everyone. They think that magic is the solution to everything. They think that they are infallible. But the fact that Suliman stood by and permitted another War to be fought with magic is proof that they are wrong.”
Calcifer crackled in the silence that followed and the little fire daemon regarded Howl with a strange look.
“I've never heard you tell that story before, Howl.”
“I don't like to dwell on unpleasant things, especially the past,” the wizard replied loftily, “It's distracting and it makes me moody.”
Howl's story had plunged Sophie deep into thought. It had brought about several revelations, both about the scorched plain and her husband's past. True to his way, he had managed to give her answers without responding to any of her questions. But Sophie didn't want to think about that anymore. All that matter was being with her family. She vowed that not even Wizard Agyrus, the great Wall Maker of the Mage War, could come between them.
“Sophie?” Howl murmured after a moment, looking down to find Sophie had fallen fast asleep in his arms.
“I think she's asleep, Howl,” Calcifer crackled.
“Indeed. Good night, Calcifer,” Howl smiled at the small spark as he tenderly gathered his sleeping wife into his arms and carried her off to their room.
 
xXx
 
“Howl?” Sophie murmured sleepily, reaching for her husband in a half waking state. Her hand found a face, which smiled beneath her palm. The face began to kiss her fingers as she peeked an eye open. Merry blue eyes sparkled at her from between her fingers. Rolling over, Howl tucked her head under his chin and yawned.
“Morning,” He mumbled into her head.
“Do we have to get up?” Sophie asked softly and Howl laughed. Normally it was the other way around.
“Not if you don't want to.”
Sophie was quiet for a moment, listening to the various chimes and bell tones of the many somethings in the room. Great eyes battered their lids lazily, to ward of bad spirits Howl had once told her. Lifting her hand she batted at one of the mushrooms that dangled from a bunch of dried roses.
“What are we going to do, Howl?” She asked finally.
The raven-haired wizard grabbed her to him as she tried to sit up.
“None of that this morning,” he mumbled into her hair, which elicited a giggle from her because it tickled horribly, “I demand that we simply lay here and pretend like its still night and sleep all day long.”
“As you wish,” Sophie finally gave up squirming and let herself be held. But even as she in his arms she could hear the wheels turning in her husband's head. But she did not press the matter; Sophie knew better than that.
 
xXx
 
After a late breakfast Howl asked Calcifer to land the castle.
“What's the good of sticking wings on a flying castle if you're going to have it muddy about on the ground with skinny legs!?”
Calcifer crackled irritably, puffing smoky rings, but acquiescing to Howl's request none the less. The fire daemon made use of the castle's legs and sent them bumbling into the mists of the wastes.
“Come give me a hand, Markl,” Howl called cheerfully as he handed his apprentice three pieces of colored chalk.
“What are we doing, Master Howl?” Markl asked curiously, putting aside the great book he had been reading.
“It's been a long time since we renewed some of the wards on the castle. Even magic needs a spring cleaning,” he replied sagely.
As the wizard and his apprentice proceeded to cover every inch of the castle in chalky markings, Sophie retreated trying not to mutter about the fact that she had just mopped. The silver-haired witch did not know what the markings meant but the visceral feeling she experienced while looking belied their protective nature.
As Sophie brought the laundry out onto the deck to string up in the wind, she watched the green steppes whisk by while pinning up their clothes. As she clipped the last sock from her basket, the castle gave a rollicking bump, a contralto hiss, and clattering sigh and she noticed they had come to rest by Star Lake. She paused staring out over the glassy surface through the thick mists drifted by in shifting veils.
Her witchy sense of intuition told her that Howl had brought them here because of the mists; they would conceal them as well as any spell. The Wastes were enchanted place, heavily steeped with magic. Seeking spells did not work very well out here among all the echoes of magic that had been and would be again.
As she picked up her basket, she caught sight of Howl and Markl on the grass below as the fog shifted by again. They were drawing a magic circle on the ground with the chalk bucket. Rather, Markl was drawing the circle under Howl's supervision. She noted again how big the sandy haired apprentice was getting. His clothes were beginning to show a great deal of wrist and ankle.
Whatever they were doing was beyond her, she had no idea what the circle was for. But Calcifer would.
Coming down stairs, Sophie selected one of the shirts Howl wore the least from the cavernous closet in their bedroom. The thick cotton would be well suited to a garment for the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. But she would have to make Markl another outfit out of something thicker for winter. Going into her room she snagged her sewing basket from the shelf and paused as she caught sight of Suliman's staff.
They almost always slept in Howl's room, mostly because he had a bigger bed. Sophie also believed it was because Howl didn't like being in the same room with his former master's stick. Suliman had passed into the otherworld more than two months ago, but Howl still mourned her.
Glancing up at the silver box that stood above it on a special shelf, she frowned as she found the lid was open. Reaching up, Sophie flicked it shut and locked the box reverently hoping Granny Witch hadn't been pocking around in it.
Sophie carried the shirt and sewing basket downstairs to the terrace, trying to ignore the multicolored smudges on the walls and floor. She looked to where the former witch of the wastes sat in her rocking chair, petting a gloomy Heen. The little dog hadn't been the same since the funeral, but Granny seemed to console him.
“Nice doggy,” She murmured happily and Heen wheezed softly.
Sophie settled into the thickly cushioned couch in front of the brazier Howl had set into the center of the veranda. The little spark was pretending to be asleep, but the she could always tell from his color what he was up to.
“What are the boys doing, Calcifer?”
“What makes you think their up to something, Sophie?” Cal crackled innocently.
“He asked you not to tell me, didn't he?”
“I'm not a liberty to say,” he replied loftily, giving a great poof of smoke as Sophie chucked another log onto him. She turned her attention to ripping the seams out of the shirt and tried not to wince as the front door burst open, heralding the entrance of muddy feet.
“You really think it will work, master Howl?” Markl's voice was full of excitement. The little boy nearly ran circles around the tall wizard, who laughed merrily, dusting the white chalk off of his black pants.
“Of course it will work, Markl! You helped draw the circle yourself,” Howl replied confidently.
“Wipe your feet!” Sophie called menacingly and the two of them made a great deal of noise stomping and rubbing their shoes on the mat to please her. Markl wandered over in her direction and watched her draw and quarter the shirt while Howl dug around in the cabinets for some odd bit.
“What are you doing, Sophie?” Markl asked inquisitively, peering over the arm of the couch as she tore at the seams.
“Mmmm… I could ask the same of you two. Come here and hold still.”
Markl obediently stood before her, letting her take his measurements with a piece of knotted string. He began to fidget and she ruffled his hair.
“All, done.”
But Markl lingered as he watched her carefully measure the fabric and make little notations on a piece of paper.
“Why don't you use magic to do that, Sophie?”
“Because I don't need to. Just because I can use magic to do something doesn't mean that I should use magic to get it done.”
“But won't it take you a long time?”
“You need some new clothes. Besides, I like making things using my own two hands.”
Markl seriously consider her words for a moment with a confused face, “You're a funny witch, Sophie. You know that?”
“Come'er, you,” she grinned swiping Markl to her and ticking him mercilessly. The not so little apprentice shrieked and giggled, easily wriggling away.
“That'll teach you to call me funny!” She called after him and caught Howl watching her with a gentle look in his eyes.
Apparently he had been listening in on their conversation. Sophie colored, realizing she hadn't asked if she could use the gutted shirt that lay in her lap. Apparently he didn't mind. Howl still loved to gussy himself up when they went out, but the raven-haired man had lost much of his need for vanity. However, he did love to stink up the house with various fragrances, mostly hyacinth and roses.
The wizard turned his eyes back to the vial of silver liquid in his hand, which caught both Markl and Calcifer's attention.
“Wow, Master Howl! Is that really Amaranth tears? Can I see it?” Howl handed the vial to his student, who carefully examined the small bottle. The slippery silver substance whirled within the glass tube, shifting among the many colors of the rainbow.
“That's some mighty powerful stuff, Howl. I hope you don't expect me to eat that?”
“No, Calficer, it's not for you. It's a component for the invisibility spell Markl and I are working on. We were working with rocks and trees, but the little scamp upped the ante. He asked me if we could turn the whole castle invisible and I couldn't pass by the opportunity.”
Sophie knew there was more to the story than that, but she didn't begrudge Howl his secrecy. Markl didn't need to be burdened by fear at such a young age.
“Move the castle three steps to the north, would you Cal?” Howl called as he stooped and began scratching a magic circle onto the kitchen floor.”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah…” The fire daemon grumbled from the hearth and there was a moment of jostling, then the familiar hissing and creaking that signaled they had settled onto the mark.
“Oh, what a pretty fire,” Granny Witch smiled at Calficer, who blushed rosily and looked away.
Sophie put down her work and watched her husband step into the center of the magic circle. Sensing that he had an audience, Howl made a gracefully flourishing motion with his hand. A fey grin crossed his face as he uncorked the vial and let a single drop fall onto the chalk patterns below. The floor shimmered for a moment and the markings glowed silver, casting a flood of light upward onto Howl. The familiar smell of roses and hyacinth filled the room as the otherwind whipped upwards out of the light, lifting the wizard into the air. Beneath him the floor seemed to dissolve, showing through to the ground below.
Whipping his other hand out to the side, Howl snapped his fingers and swept his palm skyward. The emptiness below him pulsed outward and up the walls like a ripple from a stone dropped into still water. There was a disorienting moment where Sophie could see through the band of magic to the world outside as it raced up the walls, disappearing the roof. For a moment she was staring at the misty grey sky, small breaks allowing sun to filter through. Then the magic was gone and the roof had returned.
“Oh, what a handsome man!” Granny witch gushed.
“Show off!” Calcifer smoked moodily, rolling over into the ashes.
Wind gone, chalk erased, Howl's feel touched back to the ground and he corked the vial. Markl made a frogfish face and looked down at himself and peered hard at Sophie over his shoulder.
“But I'm still here, Master Howl. I can still see all of us!” Markl frowned in confusion.
“That's because the spell only works from the outside. Come on out and take a look for yourself.”
Howl winked at his apprentice and turned on his heel, nearly flying out the front door in such a good mood.
“Come on, Sophie!” Markl grabbed a hold of her and dragged her off the couch and down the steps with him.
Outside the mists were thick and wet. Sophie could barely see the thin outline of Howl in the distance. Markl pulled her down the hill to the edge of the water, and the two of them burst from the mist into clear air. Howl stood on the shore with the sinking sun behind him with one hand on his hip; looking for all the world as though he had posed himself.
“Well?” He grinned, blue eyes flashing merrily, “What do you think?”
Sophie and Markl turned to look back the way they came, but they could only see the mists.
“I can't see the castle because of all the clouds, Howl!”
“Well, let's fix that!” He grinned and clapped his hands. The emerald jewels he wore flashed for a moment, then as he drew his hands apart the clouds split before them revealing: nothing!
“Wow! That's amazing, Master Howl!”
Markl crowed with excitement, jumping up and down and turning in circles. Howl preened for a moment happily and Sophie had to laugh too, clapping in spite of herself. He never ceased to astound her when it came to magic. But as she smiled at him, she had mixed feeling.
He had managed to protect them again both from the world and from the truth by making their trouble into a game. Some would call such behavior childish, but she didn't care. She accepted Howl for who he was, and loved him unconditionally none the less.
“Hey, Master Howl… What's that?” Markl called. Peering into the distance on the edge of the water, the ginger haired apprentice pointed at a shape in the sky far on the horizon.
Turning, Sophie peered into the light of the sun, which obscured the figure in the sky. It appeared to be heading towards them. Howl shielded his eyes with his hand and stared hard into the distance. Suddenly, the figure swooped high and emerged from the glare of the setting sun, resolving into several distinct shapes. A great red bird wheeled and thrashed in the air, harried and attacked by several dark shades that ripped at its feathers and slashed at its breast.
“Sophie, take Markl inside,” Howl's face was serious; a frown pulled at his lips.
“What is it, Master Howl? Is that a bird?” Markl moved over to his master squinting at the swooping and diving figure.
“Now!” Howl commanded brusquely.
Sophie whisked the boy up into her arms and dashed back into the mists, which had sunk back into place.
“What's going on Sophie?” Markl asked anxiously a she set him down on the front step of the castle.
“It's alright, Markl. Go inside and don't come out no matter what, okay?”
“Okay,” the little boy replied hesitantly, clutching handfuls of her skirt. It reminded her of the same movements Howl had made when she returned from the otherworld after smashing the cursed mirror. She seized him in a rough embrace and kissed him on the head.
“Don't worry, Markl. Howl and I will be right back.”
Setting him down, she opened the door and pushed him through.
“What's happening, Sophie?” Calcifer called anxiously.
“Stay inside, Cal! Make sure no one comes in unless we say so!” Sophie called, and then pulled the door shut.
Charging through the mists she burst out onto the shore, discovering the fight had come closer still. The familiar red bird was screeching in pain as the shades clawed at its wings.
Barimus! She saw him clearly in her othersight. The red wizard tucked his wings and plummeted towards the surface of the lake pursued closely. At the last minute he snapped his wings open and pulled up.
As the crimson bird wheeled towards the sky, a great liquid hand shot from the water and closed around one of the dark figures. It dissolved into vapor, taking the shade with it. Sophie caught sight of Howl suspended above the water's at a distance with his hand held out at his side. She could see a piece of the banishing mirror between his fingers; it seemed to absorb the vanishing light of the sun like a cold point of doom.
The shard split into three pieces as he cast it with inhuman strength towards the threads of Dark that pursued Barimus. The glinting splinters pierced the shadows with deadly accuracy and they faded into nothing. The red bird began to loose speed as it reached the apex of its upward flight, shedding feathers along the way. It hovered for a moment then plummeted towards the lake, loosing its bird shape as it fell.
Sophie screamed and reached with her hands as though she could stop the wizard's fall, but he slipped through the fingers of her magic and crashed into the lake. But Howl was already there and dived in after his apprentice brother. Long second passed like minutes and she could not drag her eyes from the spot where the two had disappeared. At last Howl burst from the lake, gasping in a great breath of air, a slack red form slung in his arms.
Howl dragged himself most of the way to the shore by pure will alone. Sophie scrambled out into the icy water when they drew near, taking up the other arm of the unconscious red man when Howl foundered. Barimus was trapped between his human and bird forms, his limbs were still feathered and clawed. Evil wounds oozed dark ochre on all parts of his body. His pale face was slack, eyes closed.
Together, she and Howl managed to get him into the castle among screams from Granny Witch and clamorous calls from Markl and Calcifer.
“Hot water!” Was Howl's only answer.
They lost another door to the bathroom to their struggle, although by whose hand was unclear. The witch and wizard managed to get Barimus into the tub and Howl flashed Sophie a desperate look, unspoken words passing between them.
The witch turned and tore down the stairs, tumbling into the herb closet. Casting her eyes about in the dark, she reached up and ripped a bunch of Agrimony from the ceiling. Snatching a silver knife from the shelf she smashed a ceramic jar on the floor and fished a bone out of the fragments.
The ground flew beneath her feet and she was back in the bathroom. When she returned Howl had his friend's hand in his own, the feathers floating on the surface of the hot water heralded that a man had emerged from beneath the bird.
She handed Howl the agrimony, which burst into flame as soon as it touched the wizard's hand. He smeared the ashes over the prone man's face.
To ward the daemons from his soul and cleanse the poison from his blood.
Howl's calm voice sounded in her head, giving her instructions even now as their friend lay dying. Casting her eyes over the man, she could see the many evil mars were the threads of dark had burned and slashed the man. Without thinking Sophie gouged her finger with the knife and smeared the blood on the bone; it turned to silver instantaneously.
Howl took the bone and placed it on the surface of the water. It should not have floated, but it did. The black blood seeping from Barimus' wounds drew to the bone like iron to a magnet, leaving behind only the red of true blood.
Mirror!
Howl reached out his free hand, never letting go of his friend with the other but Sophie had none. Turning, she was about to smash the bathroom mirror for a piece of the glass when Barimus let in a great gasp of air. His brown eyes flew open wide and he slapped the bone out of the water. The silver article landed in the sink with a clatter. Somehow he had managed to keep the Dark from his soul. He was lucky.
Barmius heaved in several breathes, his face white as a sheet beneath the corn silk hair that plastered to his head.
“Howl…” He rasped in a weak voice.
“It's alright, Barimus. You're with us now,” Howl replied soothingly, gently squeezing his brother's hand. The red wizard nodded weakly, and his head lolled to the side.
“Barimus!” Howl called in dread, but Sophie could still see the life in the red clad man.
“He's alive, Howl. Help me get him out of the water.”
They had him out and onto the bed in Sophie's room. She snatched the drying power from the bathroom and emptied the entire contents onto all three of them. Once dry, the silver-haired woman was able to really get a look at the wounds on the Royal Sorcerer. The fact that his clothes were scarlet did not help. After stripping him to the waist, things did not look good. Deep wound crisscrossed the sorcerer's arms and chest, oozing red blood that did not seem likely to stop. His skin was cold and clammy, but his head was hot and pale.
“Can you heal him?” Sophie's voice was tremulous.
“I'm not a healer, Sophie. My magic can only do so much,” the wizard muttered bitterly.
Howl's eyes were lost beneath the bangs of his long black hair. Sitting beside the bed, he still held his brother's hand in his own. Sophie flew to the bureau and immediately began tearing up sheets for bandages. Her mind turning furiously. Martha! She and Mrs. Fairfax were renowned healers. If anyone could help Barimus it would be them.
“Use these to staunch the bleeding,” Sophie dumped the torn sheets into Howl lap and the wizard stared at her blankly.
“Oh, for heaven's sake, Howl, he's not dead yet!” She regretted speaking so harshly, seeing the pain plain on her husband's features. But her words seemed to jolt him out of his grief.
“Calcifer!” She shouted out the door and the little flame appeared above Markl who was already waiting in the hallway.
“We need to keep Barimus warm,” She spoke quickly to the little flame, who nodded.
“Markl, go find as many clean sheets as you can. Rip them into strips like the ones in Howl's lap. Help him staunch the bleeding,” the boy nodded and went to raid the linen closet.
“Where are you going?” Cal crackled timorously seeing Sophie snatch her shawl off the wall.
“I'm going to get Mrs. Fairfax.”
“Are you crazy?! You can't go out there! There might be more of those things!” The little flame wobbled anxiously in the air turning sickly shades of green and blue.
“If I don't go he might die!”
“Be careful,” He pipped, cowed before her vehemence. Markl dashed back into the room with an armful of sheets as Sophie withdrew.
As she dashed down the stairs, the silver-haired witch cast a glance at Granny Witch, who stood anxiously by the hearth with Heen in her arms.
“Are you going, dear?” The old woman queried with worry.
“Yes, granny. Stay here and don't let anyone into the castle but me. I'll be back soon.”
Sophie hurried down the front steps and slammed the door behind her. The mists enveloped her immediately and the young woman threw her hands out sprouting feathers the color of starlight. A great silver bird burst from the clouds into the night sky, stirring great zephyrs with its wings as it wheeled north toward Folding Valley.
The wastes blurred beneath her and she lost all sense of time, her keen eyes searched the sky for signs of trouble. Someone had sent those shades after Barimus, someone far more powerful than the Royal Wizard. The thought chilled her. Howl must have had a premonition. Something had prompted him to place the invisibility spell on the castle and take a piece of banishing glass from the silver box in her room.
Finally, after what seemed like ages, she caught sight of the familiar farm below. Warm yellow lights glowed in the windows and her heart gave a leap of relief. The horses in the field whinnied in fear as the great silver bird dropped from the sky and landed with an awkward tumble. A barking dog ran from her with whimpers of fear and she screeched at it impatiently. Sophie struggled to the house, still halfway between a bird and a woman, reaching with a clawed hand to hammer the silver ring that hung on Mrs. Fairfax's front door.
After what seemed like ages, Martha opened the door wearing a shawl and her nightdress. Although all the boys had always fawned over Lettie; Sophie secretly thought Martha was prettier. Her pale face was angular and her dark hair long and straight. It gave her a severe quality that made her look regale.
But at the moment Martha was red nosed and sleepy-eyed. The look of annoyance on her sister's face melted into horror as she caught sight of the creature at her door. She backed against the wall and grabbed a vase of lilies making ready to hurl it at Sophie when she recognized her sister's face amongst the feathers.
“Sophie! What has happened to you?”
“No time! Is Mrs. Fairfax home?” Sophie's voice was lyrical to her own ears, chiming softly with the magic that kept her between forms.
“She's gone! Went to the witches' solstice fair in Marda with Mr. Fairfax. She left me to mind the shop.”
“You must come, we need a healer!”
“I'm just an apprentice. What can I do?”
“A friend is close to death!”
The urgency in her sister's voice seemed to galvanize the young hedge witch. She dashed into another room and returned with thick wool coat and a large basket full of multicolored bottles, pots of herbs, and other magical paraphernalia. Pulling on her coat, Martha dragged an ugly, shapeless pair of boots from a chest beside the front door. Sophie recognized the seven-league boots immediately.
“Where is your friend?” She asked pulling on the magic shoes.
“North shore of Star Lake.”
“I'll meet you there,” Martha replied as she stood with her heavy basket. Taking a step southward, the dark haired apprentice vanished in a whirl of color. Closing the door, Sophie sprang once more into the sky and speed after her.
 
xXx
 
Star Lake shone beneath her wings as Sophie wheeled downward. A small figure stood on the shores waving at her frantically, a pair of ugly boot clutched under her arm. Once again the silver-haired witch landed heavily and tumbled to her feet between bird and woman.
“Sophie, where is the castle!?”
Martha cried anxiously, searching the empty shores. Sophie could not see the great shape of her home and took solace in the fact that no one could either.
Holding up her left hand, Sophie gazed at the red jewel on the enchanted ring Howl had given her. It glimmered and cast a thin red light into the mists. Sweeping an arm-like wing around her startled sister, Sophie ushered her through the mists. Reaching a hand out into the swirling clouds, her clawed hand found solid purchase on the front door. Feeling for the latch, she pushed the door open and glided inside.
At the top of the stairs Granny Witch held a broom menacingly with a growling Heen at her feet. The startled old woman fell back at the sight of Sophie, a look of wonder on her face. The silver-feathered witch swept her sister through the kitchen and up the stairs on a magic wind, their feet never touching the floor. The bedroom door burst open before her, startling Markl and Calcifer who were peering anxiously at the unconscious Barimus. Howl had not moved.
Martha bustled forward with a frown of concentration on her forehead, depositing her brimming basket on the side table. The young herbalist assessed the prone red wizard with a face that showed she meant business.
“You, bring me a basin of hot water,” She commanded Markl, who gave a start and dashed past Sophie. Rummaging through her basket, she pulled out a squat green candle carved with blue runes.
“Light this,” Martha barked at Calcifer, who crackled indignantly but spit a tiny ember at the wick, which bust into flame.
The room began to fill with earthy smelling smoke as the dark-haired girl began unloading bottles and bundles of gauze. Markl came back in being careful not to slosh the water out of the basin he carried. After setting it on the table, Martha turned and gave them all a level stare
“The rest you get out! That includes you, Wizard Howl.”
Sophie took hold of her husband and pulled him to his feet. He gave her a surprised look, taking in her birdish form and was about to protest when Martha stamped her foot.
“Out!” She commanded, and they fled before her, turning to only have the door slammed in their face.
“I can see the family resemblance,” Cal crackled mildly.
They retreated downstairs to the kitchen to wait, where Granny Witch peered at Sophie with wonder from her corner under the stairs.
“Oh, what a pretty bird!” She exclaimed peering out from behind her curtain.
“I like you in feathers,” Howl smiled at her as she looked down at herself and turned beet red.
With a bit of painful wiggling, Sophie managed to shed her feathers and Markl climbed up into her lap on the couch where she and Howl sat. When the raven-haired wizard shivered and sniffed, Sophie wrapped her shawl around her husband, who leaned into her heavily. Cal peeked open an eye at the wizard from his grate and nonchalantly grabbed another chunk of wood, crackling a bit larger.
By the time Sophie had carried Markl off to bed, her husband was in the midst of a full blown cold brought on by the icy waters of Star Lake. He bundled up on the couch under a blanket Sophie brought him with his long legs propped up on the spare chair beside the hearth. Howl sniffled miserably as he rested his head in his wife's lap, shivering from time to time. Sophie knew it was useless to try and convince him to go to bed. The wizard would stay up all night waiting for word of Barimus.
Sophie sang softly as the hours of the night ticked by and Howl dozed fitfully, jolting awake everytime the castle ceiling creaked. The silver haired woman began to snooze lightly, but jerked awake at the sound of feet on the stairs.
Martha trudged over to the hearth wearily, a satisfied look on her pale face. Sophie and Howl wilted with relief and the raven-haired wizard snatched his feet off the spare chair. The herbalist's apprentice settled on it in front of the fireplace and warmed her hands appreciatively over Calcifer.
She cast a suspicious eye at Howl when she caught him sniffling. Fishing in her pocket with a dour frown, Martha thrust a lozenge wrapped in wax paper into the wizard's hand. The stern glower on her face made it clear that he had no choice, and Howl popped the tablet into his mouth expecting the worst.
Mrs. Fairfax was a dear old woman, round as an apple and twice as sweet. She was a notorious gossip and had more words for any subject than any person Sophie knew. Martha was a stark contrast to the sunny hedge witch. Although she was quite lovely, Martha had inherited the quiet severity of their father. She could say more in a look than a thousand words, which worked out quite well at the Fairfax's shop.
Sophie knew from Martha that the Mrs. Fairfax was easily flustered by argumentative patients. Apparently her young apprentice had made herself indispensable to the old witch, dealing with querulous children and cantankerous customers through a single glance. Martha always had an quiet aura of authority and could boss anyone around, even kings if she had to. During their childhood Martha had reigned over their family with her moods, although her power was second before her eldest sister.
However, Sophie knew that Martha's vinegar almost always predicated the sugar of her true intentions. Howl was surprised to find the pastille was mostly honey and lemon, and then settled back onto the couch smacking his lips softly. Martha rolled her eyes and slouched into her chair, her face softening in the firelight.
“Can I speak with him?” Howl queried suddenly, crunching the lozenge audibly.
Martha made a face without opening her eyes and she crossed her arms. Her body language making it clear that her patient was not to be disturbed. Calcifer snorted and blew a ring of smoke.
“She's worse than you, Sophie,” the little fire daemon crackled impishly, then dwindled to a peeking ember as Martha opened an eye and glowered at him.
“Perhaps in the morning,” The herbalist's apprentice spoke with authority that made it clear she was not to be questioned.
Sophie grinned to herself, quite sure that her younger sister was becoming an excellent healer. Morning is where they found themselves as Markl shook them awake.
“Wake up, Sophie! Wake up, Master Howl! Barimus is up and he won't listen to me!”
Howl had tried to stand, but Martha was already on her feet and halfway up the stairs to where the red wizard was weakly trying to descend. The dark-haired herbalist fit herself under his shoulder and helped him down the rest of the way. Sophie and Howl jumped up from the couch as the royal wizard sank weakly into the cushions.
Barimus still looked awful, but his color had returned with the self-effacing smile on his face. His bare chest was crisscrossed with white bandages, but no blood seeped through. Martha lay her hand on his forehead and seemed satisfied that he was not feverish. She then turned and peered at Howl intently, who made a started face. Seeing no lingering chill in him, she relieved him of his blanket and wrapped it around the red-wizard.
Barimus smiled at Martha tenderly, submitting wordlessly to her ministrations. Sophie noted the color that climbed into her frowning sister's cheeks as the dark haired girl stonily tolerated the full brunt of the royal wizard's attention. But the gentle look in Martha's eyes belied her softer feelings.
The silver-haired witch wondered what God had written into their family's fate that the Hatter daughters were destined to fall for wizards. Or was it vice versa? Sophie wasn't sure.
“Tea!” Martha commanded, shooting a look at Calcifer. The little fire daemon flared up indignantly and made horrible faces at the herbalist's back as she went for her basket. But the little spark reached out a thin hand to pull the kettle closer to his flames.
“I'm not a slave, lady! What's a daemon got to do to get some respect around here!?” He called after her, snapping and crackling nastily he set to making the water boiling.
Howl sat beside his apprentice brother and at first both were silent. Sophie ushered Markl away from the wizards to give them privacy. She went to get Granny Witch out of bed with thoughts of breakfast on her mind.
“I'm a fool, Howl,” Barimus began suddenly, a fierce look of self disgust on his face.
“Barimus,” Howl spoke soothingly, placing a gentle hand on his brother's shoulder.
“No. I have failed you by falling prey to my own arrogance; my pride blinded me to the truth. I thought you a coward, Howl. But I understand now why you shunned the Wizards Council and broke with the academy,” Barimus continued in agitation, clenching his fists as a look of anguish crossed his face. He continued in a quiet voice meant only for Howl.
“The Wizard's Council thinks so highly of their cause that they justify any means. He enticed a group of lesser wizards to come to the Reckoning with promises of greatness. But they were just bricks to be exploited in the mending of the Wall. He used them, Howl. He stripped them of their powers and used their magic to strengthen the Dull Wall.
“I objected and spoke out against the council openly when I realized what they were doing. Once Agyrus realized I would not be turned he saw no further use for me. He tried to consume my power as well. I escaped only to be pursued by threads of the very Darkness we are trying to combat.
“The Wall isn't broken, Howl. It's Agyrus. The Wall Maker has become the Wall Breaker. He had fallen prey to the very daemons we seek to keep from this world. With every brick he lays he fuels the Dark and allows more of the noxious magic to slip through the cracks into the mortal realm.”
“What of the other sorcerers on the Council? Surely they can subdue him?” Howl's face was series, his dark eyes flickered the furious emotions within him.
“They are powerless before Agyrus. He rules them with fear.”
“What of King Ferdinand?”
“He knows nothing,” Barimus paused here and cast a bitter look at his brother, “I should have trusted your instincts; but pride kept me from you. How I hated you when you left us. Suliman grieved for a long time and I hated you because it proved she loved you best. It was wrong of me. I should have come to you, Howl. Perhaps she would still be a live if I had.”
“You are not to blame for anything that has happened, Barimus,” Howl spoke with gentle affection, tilting his head to catch the red-wizard's eyes, “Even wizards are weak before their daemons, including dear Suliman. The pain you have endured is penance enough for whatever guilt you feel. You are here with us now; together we will work together to make things right.”
Barimus seemed spirited by his brother's words and they smiled warmly at one another, sadness gone.
Martha appeared at the hearthside with a mug full of lemony smelling herbs, deftly interjecting herself between the two wizards with her back to Howl. The young herbalist shot a look over her shoulder at the raven-haired man that promised she would box his ears if he upset her patient. Pouring hot water from kettle, Martha blew on the mug until it was cool enough to drink. She handed it to Barimus' and stood with crossed arms, wordlessly making it plain she was going to stand there until he drank it all.
The red-wizard obliged and handed the cup back to her with a sunny smile. Martha absorbed his charm stonily and left the blond wizard to stare after her with gentle eyes.
“Geez, what a bully!” Cal whispered conspiratorially to the wizards, making sure Martha was out of earshot. They chuckled to themselves and Barimus held his side with a wince of pain.
Although breakfast was a simple affair, Howl and Barimus made it a grand occasion with stories of their youthful antics. Sophie particularly enjoyed the story of how Howl had managed to tangle himself in a chandelier at the Royal Palace while learning to fly. Suliman apparently had left him there as a lesson for not studying hard enough. Not to be undone, Howl made it rain in the study for two whole hours, ruining the floor. Barimus was almost in stitch when he described how all the servants had to bustle about in slickers with umbrellas to save the rugs and furniture.
On numerous occasions Sophie caught Martha smiling at Barimus and Howl caught his wife catching her sister. The witch and wizard eyed each other knowingly but left that to the hands of fate.
“I really must be going,” Martha said and stood with a reluctant finality.
“Permit me to show you out, Lady Martha,” the red wizard smiled charmingly as he carefully rose to his feet. Earlier the dark-haired girl had borrowed one of Sophie's dresses, stating plainly that it wasn't proper to wander about in a nightdress.
“That's not necessary, Wizard Barimus. You should save you strength,” she replied as she pulled on her coat and reached for her seven league boots.
“I insist, allow me,” He replied sunnily turning on the full lamp of his charms as he took her basket. Taking her arm, he walked her down the steps to the front door. For once in her lifetime, Martha didn't argue.
“Honestly, you two must have gone to the same charm school,” Sophie muttered as she politely ignored the exchange between her sister and the red wizard. Howl winked at her over his tea as the front door closed.
“Do you think she'll be safe?” Barimus asked no one in particular as he hovered at the top of the stairs.
“Quite safe, Barimus!” Howl beamed and ushered his reluctant brother back to the couch. At times it was hard to remember who was older than whom.
“I'll fetch you a shirt so you don't need to wear that blanket like an old lady,” Howl disappeared off upstairs and Sophie clattered about the kitchen cleaning up after breakfast. Barimus settled back into the cushions with a sigh until he realized he was being watched. Peeking open one eye, he caught sight of Howl's apprentice Markl watching him with large brown eyes.
“Did you and master Howl really study together?”
“Yes. Wizard Suliman took him on as an apprentice about two years after she had accepted me as her pupil.”
Markl frowned at him for a while, almost having trouble thinking of his master ever having been a student. Indeed, the red wizard had trouble thinking of his apprentice brother as a teacher.
“When did you begin your studies with Howl?” Barimus asked back in a distracted way once he realized the boy was just going to stare at him.
“About two years ago. I'm just turned seven in May,” Markl puffed with pride.
“That makes you almost a man,” Barimus replied in amusement before a red shirt dropped onto his head. Howl flopped down beside his apprentice brother and grinned at his young pupil.
“I see you're interrogating Wizard Barimus. Has he spilled his guts yet?”
Markl gave a small start and blushed furiously, “I think I'll go study, Master Howl.”
The raven-haired wizard watched him attempt dragging a huge volume off one of the shelves in the kitchen. Sophie went over and helped him, between the two of them they managed to carry it to the table.
“You're teaching them both magic, I see.” Barimus noted as his head emerged from the collar of Howl's shirt.
The blond wizard had difficult getting his injured arm into one of the sleeves but managed. His hair was a great deal shorter than Howl's and he smoothed it back carefully. The red wizard watched his brother gaze over his shoulder to where Sophie and Markl read together from the gigantic tome.
“I'm quite proud of my family,” Howl replied sincerely.
“Married life suites you,” Barimus replied cryptically.
“Could you stand a walk in the garden? Now that Martha's not hovering about I can get a word in edgewise.”
“What's that supposed to mean?” Barimus frowned as he followed Howl out into the backyard.
 
xXx
 
The two wizards sat on the stone banister as the clouds enveloped them. Gazing back at the castle, Barimus peered at the great looming shape, his othersight picking out the invisibility magic due to the fact that he was within the boundaries of the spell.
“That's a strong piece of work you've cast over that hulking heap you call home.”
“Manners, Barimus. One man's junk is another man's Castle,” Howl replied.
“Still. You should probably move the castle. Those shades may have told Agyrus where I was headed.”
“You weren't even sure where you were headed when you came here. You got lucky is all. Uncle won't find us here, not in the wastes. Besides, if we move the invisibility spell will break.”
The two sat in silence for a while, listening to the distant whisper of the mists as they filtered past into the vast heavens above.
“What will we do, Howl?” Barimus spoke after a long pause.
“Why does everyone keep asking me that? You all seem to think I know what to do. Go ask Sophie! She's the only one that really does any thinking around here,” Howl muttered angrily, his mood turning as quickly as the clouds overhead.
“You love her very much, don't you?” Barmius smiled at his sulking brother.
“Yes, as a matter of fact I do! And I will thank you not to flirt with my wife, Barimus. Don't think I haven't forgotten your behavior on our wedding day.”
The red wizard laughed sincerely, throwing Howl even more out of sorts.
“I'm sorry, Howl. I was being a rotten brat by trying to provoke you. I must admit that I'm very envious of you.”
“Don't start with that again, Barimus.”
Howl was about to continue but the jewels at his ears glimmered softly and he held up his hand. In the mists above a dark shape materialized and hovered for a moment then passed on. Both wizards watched it with a strained look on their faces. Wordlessly they stood and went back inside.
 
xXx
 
Markl and Sophie had gone around the castle and shut all of the windows. The grey weather outside thickened and gave no indication of lifting. For that the silver haired witch was glad. She had complete faith in her husband's magic, but the thick clouds were reassuring none the less. Their day was spent cheerily none the less.
Barmius had produced a deck of cards from one of his pockets, and they had spent the rest of the morning gambling for rice candy. Naturally, they let Markl win every hand. But that did not stop Howl from pilfering a few candies from his apprentice while Barimus distracted the young boy. Sophie gave them away several times because of her inability to contain her giggling.
“Great, that's just what this house needs. Two Howls,” Calcifer crackled from the hearth, in a bad mood because of all the moisture in the air.
Sophie noted that Granny Witch had been restless all day. She kept wandering from her chair and peering out of various windows. Heen followed after her and wheezed apprehensively each time she stood.
“Is something bothering you, Granny?” Sophie asked after ushering the woman back to her chair for the fifth time in an hour.
“There's a young man out there that wants in, dearie. Can't you hear him?” She replied distantly, her eyes still glued to something outside.
“There's no one out there, Granny. You should rest now. Would you like some tea?”
“Yes, tea would be lovely,” the old witch replied her eyes still glued to the window.
Given the dark shape Howl and Barimus had seen earlier, what former Witch of the Wastes just said disturbed Sophie. She kept an eye on the old woman as she pulled the kettle closer to Calcifer, who was sleeping in the grate.
“Cal, would you go see what the boys are up to?”
“Do I have to, Sophie?” The little fire spirit wasn't feeling well due to the mists outside. He always got cranky when the humidity went up.
“Please? Granny Witch is acting strangely. She keeps looking at something outside. She just told me someone is out there who wants in.”
That seemed to rouse the little spark, who frowned and then shot off up the stairs. Going to the sink, Sophie almost dropped the cup in saucer in her hand as Heen began circling her legs, wheezing and jumping frantically. She did indeed drop them both when a gust of wind blew through the room from the front stairs. Casting her eye at Granny's chair she saw that the witch was gone.
“Granny Witch!” She screamed and shot out the front door after the old woman. The thick mists sprung up all around her and the young witch cast her eyes about madly.
“Over here, dearie!” The witched familiar voice called from the distance, and Sophie hurried towards it.
“Granny! We've got to get back inside right this minute,” she cried, catching sight of a shape in the mists ahead of her.
A fey tickled shot across Sophie's skin the moment before the pale blue lines of a magic circle burst into life beneath her feet. The witch found herself rooted in place, paralyzed in both limb and voice. The clouds parted before her as though cleaved by a great knife and shadow fell over her heart. The Wizard Agyrus towered over her, his great cloak of midnight sky whipping about in the wind as his icy eyes bore into her soul. Granny Witch stood not far off, smiling up at the Wall Maker. With her othersight Sophie could now see the magic strings attached to the old witch, a puppet daemon hovered like a dark rain cloud over her head.
“I found him, dearie!” The old witch laughed merrily.
Agyrus moved closer, filling her vision with his arctic presence. The wizard held out his hand and a crystal cube appeared on his palm. Sophie saw her reflection mirrored in the object and experience the strangest feeling of falling.
 
xXx
 
Howl felt the magic barrier around the castle breech just as Calcifer shot into Markl's room. A moment later the ring on his finger gave a sorrowful thrill.
Sophie!
The bedroom window threw itself open as the raven haired wizard shot through it like an arrow of magic. A thunderclap shook the heavens above as the mists cleaved in two, revealing the castle and the two figures that stood before the front door. As Howl hovered an inch above the ground in front of the Wall Maker, his face was livid.
Great sparks of blue fire sprung around him as the otherwind buffeted the grass, sweeping back the trailing edges of his uncle's cloak. The raven-haired wizard flicked his hand to his side and the puppet daemon above the old witch expired with a shriek. The old woman sat down hard, whimpering fearfully as she cast her confused eyes at the scene before her.
“Where is my wife!” Howl snarled, clenching his fists which erupted into purple blue balls of flame.
Wordlessly, the Wall Maker held out the crystal cube. Within it a tiny figure with silver haired pressed her hands against the walls. Behind Howl, Barimus and Markl appeared with Calcifer hot on their heels. The red wizard swept up the young apprentice with his good arm and stepped into the air narrowly escaping the circle of magic flickered weakly beneath them. Calcifer burst into a huge purple-white flame and made forward towards the old wizard.
Agyrus' face was a perfect mask of ice as he clenched his fist around the crystal prison. Sophie's screech of pain echoed audibly through the walls of the prison. Everyone froze in place.
“Stop!” Howl screamed in desperation, the magic in his hands smothering, “I'll do whatever you want, just let her go!”
Agyrus stared impassively at his nephew, releasing his grip on the prism. The cries from within ceased, but the Wall Maker continued to hold it out meaningfully.
“Take care of them Barimus,” Howl spoke hoarsely, “Tell Sophie I love her.”
With that the raven-haired wizard sank to the ground, a circle of magic springing to life beneath his feet. There was a blinding flash and where the raven-haired wizard once stood lay Sophie's prone form. Within the Wall Maker's crystal prison Howl's tiny form could be seen. Agyrus' began to dissolve as he drew back into his cloak of sky.
“Master Howl!” Markl screamed, struggling within Barimus' grip. But the Wall Maker had gone, taking Howl with him.