Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ The Assassin's Assasin ❯ Secrets x Bandits x Blood ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Come on, guys. Please review. TToTT I don't know if people like this stuff.
 
Disclaimer: Think about it. If I owned HxH, would I be sticking Mio in a fanfiction, or even be writing a fanfic at all? O-o Besides, there'd be blunt shonen-ai in HxH if I owned it.
 
I hope you guys have studied up on your Nen, `cause you're gonna be seeing a lot of it in this fanfic. D:
 
`….' = Thoughts
“…..” = Flashback (Or rethinking what others said.)
“….” = Speech
 
----Chapter 2, Secrets x Bandits x Blood----
 
After Mio's attempted attack on the two boys, both of them had easily adopted her into their group. They were all uneasy, each one suspecting that the other would randomly jump that at any moment. While Killua still wanted to tie the girl to a train track, Gon insisted on keeping her with them. He had no clue as to the reason.
 
The walk had been silent for the fifteen minutes they had been together in a group. Mio hadn't even asked where they were going or what they were doing.
 
Mio officially felt like she had been taken prisoner. And outclassed? The boys didn't look older than her, nor did they look strong. Killua's Nen Lightning looked pretty dangerous, though, and she wasn't about to ask how he obtained the ability. Gon looked ordinary and rather immature. He seemed too.. happy, for lack of better word. It was actually pretty creepy.
 
The rest of the walk went by with not a word between the three. Odd. Killua and Gon often chatted away, but Mio didn't know this. At the time, she would think of the silence as normal. The lack of speaking gave her the impression that them being together was a one-time thing, and that she'd have another chance at an `ambush' once the black-haired Nen-User made his way back home.
 
`But what could they be partners for?' She asked herself silently. Killua's lightning stuck the image of Hunter into Mio's mind, but Gon didn't have much to show. Both of them weren't dressed in a way that made them stand out. In fact, you'd never even know they did jobs like this at all. The two of them looked like ordinary teens out for a Sunday stroll.
 
Killua suddenly stopped. Gon and the group's new “Pet” stopped as well.
 
“Gon, get over here.” Killua whispered. Gon quickly obeyed and was at his friend's side in an instant. Killua crouched and pointed down the steep hill at a camp to the bottom. Thirteen lightly dressed men and women moved around in random patterns about the camp, which was centered around a large bonfire that had recently been put out.
 
“They're so obvious. Why didn't the townsfolk just ally together and take them out?” Killua asked himself and the others. It made no sense. Was there something the townspeople didn't mention? Surely over 500 people could take a small thirteen man group.
 
“Hmm, I don't like this. Something's not right.” Killua said, standing back up. “Can't you feel that?”
 
“Feel what-“ Mio started. Killua made a gesture to request silence. Mio shut her mouth and silence followed.
 
“…I think I feel that. That evil-feeling Ren?” Gon asked, not taking his eyes from the camp. Killua nodded. “They said there weren't any Nen-users.” The Zaoldyeck stated, turning around.
 
“Killua, we should be able to handle it, right?” Gon asked, following.
 
“I'd think so, but let's go down and make sure.” Killua said. He looked at Mio. “You might want to stay behind. Your previous attempt at stealth didn't exactly work too well.” Mio glared in response but decided to obey.
 
`And if they decide to not come back, that means I have to track them all over again.'
 
Not that she could effectively track anything in the first place. Chances are, she'd be the prey instead of the Hunter.
 
Although the two boys did their best to keep their mission confidential, the female hunter managed to overhear a few parts and conclude what was going on.
 
“I know what's going on. They must be mercenaries!” Suddenly the unlikeliness decided to make a special appearance. She sighed. “Gah, who would be a mercenary at that age?”
 
The sun blazed overhead. Almost twenty minutes had passed since the boys went on their adventure, and Mio was still waiting for them to return, huddled under a tree in it's dark, cool shade.
 
“What am I doing?” she asked herself. “I should have followed them.”
 
“Your previous attempt at stealth didn't exactly work too well.”
 
Pfft. Like he could do any better.
 
But if they knew how to utilize Ren or Zetsu, then they must have some skill. Mio wasn't a master of everything. She still practiced Ren and Ten every day, but despite her master's repetition or “Doing this will make you stronger..” if never seemed to work.
 
Mio remained the same boring skill-less Mio.
 
She fell over on her back to stretch in the shade. `What now?'
Killua's eyes glowed purple as he concentrated his aura into the pupils. Gon's eyes glowed a dark yellow color. Both boys eyed the camp left to right, scanning every rock, tree and tent. Auras popped up everywhere, but distinguishing a human aura from a plant aura proved to be tedious and difficult.
 
“Ne, Killua, can we move any closer?” Gon whispered. The bandits went about their daily lives, not noticing the boys at all.
 
“This is as close as I think we can get.” Killua replied. “Damn, look at their auras.” `Their abilities aren't that bad. They seem to have firm grasps of the basics.' “They are sloppy, though.”
 
“Now's not the time to be criticizing, Killua.” `It's apparent that our job descriptions had some missing details now. We have no clue what we're up against other than the fact that they can use Nen.'
 
“So what do we do, Killua?” Gon asked softly.
 
“Hold on, I'm thinking.” The Nen in his eyes had faded and he could no longer see the auras of the bandits. “From what I've seen, they aren't too good at using Nen. But that doesn't explain why the villagers couldn't take out the thirteen of them.”
 
“Killua, why don't we go back and get Mio-“ Gon was interrupted by noise from behind him. A bandit picked his head up and looked around.
 
“You don't need to go get me!” Mio said happily in a whisper.
 
Gon yelped and moved away as Mio crawled into the space between them. Killua looked at her angrily. “You idiot, you could have gotten us exposed. We have no clue how strong these guys are.” He semi-yelled.
 
Mio didn't flinch, nor did Gon. “If that's the case, the three of us should go and see what they're made of.” Mio suggested.
 
“But they left that part out of the job descriptions. No one told us that they could use Nen.” Gon explained. None of them noticed the footsteps that were coming. “It's suspicious.” Gon crossed his arms. Why would someone just flat-out lie about something this serious? The Pro Hunters turned away from the job, but when Hunter Kids came along that were willing to do the job, they just lied about it.
 
“It's like sending us to our death. They probably don't care.” Killua stated. “We don't look like Hunters, and they probably decided that the licenses we have are fake.”
 
“Wait, you mean to say that you're hunters?” Mio gasped.
 
Killua nodded. “Yeah, we are. Gon's been one longer, though. He passed the test about 3 years ago. I took the test the year after.”
 
“Ooooh… I didn't think you were Hunter's at all…” Mio said unhappily. The boys signed.
 
“Heh, no one does. That's exactly how we got into this mess. Now, I suggest that we go back to town and confront them about it. We need more information before we charge in blindly.”
 
“Yeah. I agree.” Gon said. Mio nodded her agreement.
 
There was a sudden rustle in the wall of their hiding spot. “Guys, WATCH OUT!” Mio yelled, scooting back and shielding her body with her arms. The man that looked in on them was holding a long curved knife, and before the boys could even move, the knife came down.
 
Crimson blood splattered the ground and leaves.
 
----End Chapter 2----
Yes. A cliffhanger. So what? Don't these always come with surprising twists in the next chapter?