Infinite Ryvius Fan Fiction ❯ And Also Love ❯ To Be Near You ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
And Also Love by the Black Rose

AN: This is the 2nd of 3 chapters total. Currently, this idea is giving birth to baby plot bunnies, so a second Ryvius fanfic may happen in the future. For now, it's my intent to complete this story, and then see what else comes up.

In the meantime, it is my mission to infect all my friends with Ryvius and drag them into writing Blue x Juli fanfiction cue evil laughter (I think it's working so far wink). Thanks to all my fellow Infinite Ryvius fans who took the time to read this. Much love, Rose.

PS - The first 2 paragraphs are again, Neya's POV. Thanks for reading!!!

To be Near You

Emotions are brilliant, dazzling colors. I can feel them; I can name them, but this time, they seem different. Many of the colors have changed. Like how light blue becomes navy, or purple becomes lavender - they are still the same hues with as much intensity as before. But different.

The colors no longer seek to overwhelm the others just to live. Instead, these feelings strike a certain harmony inside me. There is still sadness. There is still fear. But more than last time, there is excitement, longing, friendship, camaraderie, peace…

And also love.

"Our first mission is to the Uranus region." Juli trudged down the hallway to her room after a long shift on the Ryvius's bridge. Her steps echoed against the metal floor, her heels scraping the surface as she walked.

"That's where our last mission ended." She turned the corner and entered the corridor that led to the officer's quarters. "And the last time I saw him."

Her grip tightened on his bandana. "I want you to stay here with me."

Blue turned around and leveled that ice-cool glare directly at her. "Is that an order?

She sighed and entered the passcode to raise the door. The panel slid open and she stepped inside.

The room was gigantic. Metal floors covered in tan, short-haired carpet met metal walls painted flat ivory. It was a somewhat sad attempt at something considered 'homey', but the Orbital Security Bureau had at least tried. And compared to the last time they were onboard the Ryvius, it was a palace - or maybe it just seemed that way since Juli didn't have to share it with two other girls.

And Pat.

Her heart thumped and then fell into her stomach.

He has his mom, and he's just too young right now.

But then again…aren't we?

Juli pulled the dress off the hanger and slipped it over her head; she secured the halter strap at the base of her neck. Silky emerald fabric slid easily down her body and then over her hips to stop at her ankles. She peered at herself in the mirror; her hair down, it flowed over her shoulders.

The door shushed open and she heard him step onto the bridge. "Aren't you attending the party?" Blue's voice sounded mocking.

"I'm not in the mood for a party right now," she said and stood up. Juli pressed the button to reveal the large, flat-panel screen at the front of the bridge.

"Take a look at this monitor, the Vital Guarder's battle caused such damage on Mars it likely affected its axis. Come on, you're a pretty intelligent guy, Blue, you must have known that this damage was a real possibility, and yet you--"

His hand tore the tie from her hair.

"Wear this when you go to the party." Blue dropped a lump of fabric on the desk.

"But I'm not--"

"That's an order."

"I was such a fool, then. I didn't realize…" Juli sat down and picked up her brush. She ran it a few times through her hair. "Well. I still don't know how you felt about me, or if you remember me at all. But I'd like to think that at least, when you gave me this dress…." She stared down at the brush in her lap. "That maybe, you felt something for me. Even for just a little while."

She placed the brush back on her desk and closed her eyes.

"Will you participate in the beauty pageant, Juli?"

"Me?"

"Someone anonymous nominated you."

Juli laid her head down on her arms on top of her desk. She opened her eyes and stared at the metal wall. "I felt beautiful that night. I can even admit, now, that I would have liked it if you had gone with me. Though at the time, I still thought I hated you." She sat up and glanced at her reflection in the mirror again.

"Why? Why do I feel this way about you?" She let out a long breath. "Why can't I get you out of my thoughts for even a moment? The whole time we were away from the Ryvius, I couldn't get you off my mind." Juli stared down at the countertop. "But I couldn't find you, either."

The cathedral brimmed with hundreds, probably thousands of people. It would be hard to locate him in the crowd, but certainly the son of a government official would have a special place at the ceremony. Not that seeing him was the only reason she was here…

"I don't know what kind of relationship you had with your family; you said enough that I suspect it wasn't always a close one, but still… It's your family, and I want to be here to pay my respects."

Her eyes scanned the crowd as the pastor came up to speak to the congregation. And still, the telltale blue hair belonging to the son of Hyperion's Vice-Minister of Defense was nowhere to be found.

She shook her head, then picked up the brush to run a few more strokes through her hair.

Airs Blue… I just want to know where you are. If you're all right.

I'm sure you're--

"Ju-uli." A sharp knock sounded at the door to accompany the familiar, pompous voice. "Can I come in?"

"Oh. Lucson." She stood up and crossed the room to open the door. The panel slid up to reveal the Ryvius captain. "Of course."

He wore a dark-colored suit to match his deep-brown hair and eyes. He was a good four inches shorter than her, but broad-shouldered and, in an other lifetime, handsome. "I thought we could go together to the party." He rubbed the back of his head with his left hand. "I know it's not a good idea for fellow Zwei members or crew to date, but--"

Juli stepped out into the hallway. "I'm sure we can stick to just being friends, Lucson."

The muscles around his eyes sagged.

"F-for the good of the ship," she said and gave him a smile.

"Of course. For the good of the ship." He nodded as if to emphasize the words, but he still looked disappointed.

She leaned forward and hugged him. It took a moment for Lucson to respond, but his arms came up to wrap around her back.

"I know you care about me, Lucson. And I'm grateful. You were always there for me - as my friend. And my mentor."

"Juli…" His voice was low and flat.

She drew away. "But I 'm afraid if I don't tell you how I feel, you'll only end up being hurt worse."

"I know you don't feel that way about me. I can face that."

"I love you, Lucson. As a friend."

He visibly winced. "I understand. But tell me. Tell me you're over that hooligan, Juli. You're better than that." He shook his head. "You're better than him."

"Thank you for being concerned." She glanced up and met his gaze. "As for 'that hooligan', if you're referring to Airs Blue, then I'm afraid--"

"Don't." He glanced away. "I can understand, but I don't have to accept it. You could still change your mind and fall in love with me." He put his hands on his hips and took up his captain's stance. "Especially after you see how dashing I am as captain of this ship."

Juli giggled.

"I'm serious." Lucson stuck out his lower lip in a small pout and dropped his pose.

"I know." She took his arm and steered him towards the center of the hallway. "And I would be very honored to be escorted to the party by the captain of the Ryvius."


Dark green satin hugged Juli’s figure in absolutely all the right places. She showed up at the party wearing the dress Blue had given her. It hadn't been anything special, just something Crif had been willing to part with at the time - but she made the dress look anything but hand-me-down. It seemed almost as if it had been made just for her.

She looked like a woman in that dress - not the soldier she pretended to be in her Zwei uniform, and definitely not the girl she maybe still wanted to be when she wore that ridiculous, pink jumpsuit with the red heart on the front.

Probably a virgin.

Blue leaned back against the wall. Shadows overtook the lighting in this corner of the room, and he figured it would obscure most partygoers' view. It was where he belonged. Everyone else mingled in the center of the room. Crowds of regular, normal people who hadn't carried the burden he had faced. He’d seen far too many of them before, but didn't really know their names.

In his mind, with his eyes closed, he saw her in that dress.

"What are you doing?" Her face was red; her eyes swam with tears. "Why would you broadcast that to the entire ship?"

"I figured people would want to know." He continued to face the front monitor and contented himself with watching her out of the corner of his eye.

She stepped forward. "But the students were having a good time for once." She continued to approach him. "Couldn't you have spared them until tomorrow? Discussed this with--"

He turned to face her. "This isn't fantasy-land. And the people onboard ceased to be students when all the instructors died. I ain't here to protect them from reality. They should have to deal with it like the rest of us." He bent over the control station and flipped the switch to raise the screen.

The bridge was quiet except for the sound of the motor raising the panel. It was his fault the Orbital Security Council was calling them terrorists. At least, she would blame him – if she didn't already. He should have known the Vital Guarder could cause that kind of damage…

"But it just--"

"Dammit!" He clutched the controls tighter. "Why did they have to call us terrorists? It doesn’t matter what I do–"

"Don't start doubting yourself, now." Her voice sounded quieter than before.

He released the controls and stood up.

"This job isn't so easy, and most people couldn't do it." She came another step closer. "Most people would have already crumbled by now. But, as much as I disagree with your methods, you're a strong person, Blue."

Something clutched at his throat and he had to swallow to loosen its hold. His eyes burned in the light, and he had to close them.

"I…I don't think we'd have made it this far without you." He felt her hand on his forearm, and the air in the room turned cold.

"Hm." He exhaled the word. "Spoken by someone who hates me, and wanted to be rescued by now; that doesn't sound like much of a compliment." He wrenched his arm from her grip and turned away. "Go back to your room."

"I don't hate you."

He snarled. "Of course you do. All you Zwei members. You hated me before I took over this ship, even after I rescued your guys from the instructor with the hostage. And where--"

"I didn't know you before." Her voice sounded soft, and was he imagining…a bit regretful?

"I…don't feel like I really know you, now; but I don't hate you. I've never hated you."

Airs opened his eyes and found her again in real life. A chandelier sparkled overhead – one of the new additions to the cafeteria. Guys turned to stare wherever Juli went; she seemed to blush beneath the weight of their eyes.

Definitely a virgin.

Blue watched as that ninny Lucson placed his hand on her back - an area that Airs knew was bare skin. Juli glanced at him over her shoulder with lowered lashes and a slight smile; she didn't pull away.

Blue snarled. "I hate that guy."

"You're planning to go to your father and give him the Ryvius as a gift." She glared up at him. Her eyes flashed blue-green in the light.

He shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not."

"Did you plan this?"

"Don't be ridiculous." He stepped around her to continue the trek to his room.

"How many people have lost their lives?" Her hands clenched into fists. "I will never forgive you for this. I won't!"

Blue dug both hands into his hair, and fell back against the wall. Why can't I get her out of my head? He gasped for air, and felt his chest heave with the effort. Airs shut his eyes again, but she was there, too.

"But all of that has gone blank."

Shut up.

"There's only one thing left for me."

Shut up!

"Juli…"

No! STOP IT!

"Bahana."

Why?

Blue banged his head back against the metallic partition. He brought his hands down and slammed his right fist into the wall.

Why? I don't understand.

Her laugh bubbled over the noise of the party; he opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling.

"…was more than responsibility. There were…people I cared about…" Bits of conversation floated across the room and wriggled into his ears.

Blue stood up from the wall. She was in the center of a small crowd - some, he recognized, others he didn'tHer eyes glanced from Lucson to someone else in her immediate vicinity. More joined their circle, while some others who had been standing awhile left.

I shouldn't have bothered.

The room moved in a blur and he found himself standing in front of the door to the hallway. Airs threw a last glance over his shoulder. Juli smiled and nodded as someone spoke to her in an excited tone. He turned away.

Blue stepped out of the room and into the darker, cooler air of the hallway.

I don't belong here.


Light swam around the room; the chandeliers swayed slightly in the path of the centralized ventilation ducts. Juli craned her neck and glanced from face to face, but… He's not here. I guess I shouldn't have expected him to be.

"Would you care to dance, Juli?" Lucson offered a stiff bow.

Juli brought her attention back to her 'date'. "Ummm, of course, Lucson."

He took her hand.

"And then after this dance, I think I'm going to go back to my room." She bit her lip and glanced away. "I'm very tired."

She felt Lucson lean closer. "I'd be happy to walk you back, Juli."

"Oh." She took a half-step back and met his gaze. "You really don't have to." Juli tried to smile. "And besides, the captain should stay until the end."

Lucson grinned. "You're probably right." Lucson pulled her out onto the makeshift dance floor and slid one arm around her waist.

His cologne smelled crisp and clean, and his hand felt warm around hers. Juli struggled against his effort to bring her closer. "Lucson…"

He relaxed his arm. "I'm…I'm sorry."

A soft, slow melody floated up into her ears; as she glanced around, Juli saw several couples embrace and begin to sway in their own, fairly chaste, declarations of affection. She looked at Lucson, but couldn't meet his gaze.

The Ryvius captain stepped to one side and then forward, to begin leading them in a dance. It was only slightly more than swaying, and he wasn't very adept at it, but then again, she hadn't had much experience herself.

"You. You look really beautiful tonight, Juli." Warm brown eyes peered up at her; his face appeared flushed.

"Thank you, Lucson."

"Do…do you think--"

Cool air hit her skin, and she felt beads of perspiration at her hairline. "Lucson…"

"Do you think I'll do a good job as captain this time?" His brow furrowed into deep lines. "I…I know I made some mistakes last time around."

A lead weight dropped off her chest. "We all did the best we could under the circumstances. I don't think anyone blames you for what went wrong."

"I know. But do you think--"

"You'll do a great job as captain, Lucson. I'm sure of it." She gave him a smile. His whole face lit up in response.

"Thanks, Juli. It means a lot to--"

"Hey!" A loud voice interrupted, and Lucson's embrace relented. Their dance ground to a halt.

"I'm cuttin' in."

A red shirtsleeve held Lucson's arm away from her body. The captain turned, and Juli caught sight of the dark-haired, scowling Yuki Aiba. He appeared to be the one responsible for pulling the appendage off Juli's waist and was using it as leverage to repel the captain of the Ryvius away.

"Excuse me, but I am--"

"You heard me. I'm cuttin' in." The dark-haired boy grabbed Juli's hand and pulled her into his own loose embrace. He spun her away from Lucson and towards the far end of the dance floor.

"Uhhhh. I uh…didn't know you--" Juli's head swam a bit with Yuki's faster-paced movements. And all that spinning.

"Yeah. I'm not here to dance." His eyes roamed over the room, but would occasionally dart back to her face. "I was asked to give you something." He released her hand, and reached behind him. Juli couldn't keep the beat he had started after he let go. He grabbed her again, and slowed down their pace.

"Wh-what is it?"

He hugged her close, his right hand let go of her left, and then he pushed her away again. Yuki pressed a thick piece of cloth into her palm. Her heart pounded in her ears.

Juli glanced at the fabric in her hand; it was dark maroon in color, and… She pulled her fingers from Yuki's grasp.

"Where? Where did you get this?"

Yuki pulled her back into their dancing position. This time, he held her closer. "He gave it to me." His voice was deep and low – like they were discussing something highly secretive.

"When?" She tried to twist from his grip, but he held her tight.

"A few hours ago."

She stopped dancing and tried to push Yuki away. "He's here? He's onboard the Ryvius?"

"Yeah." He spoke into her ear. Little shivers ran up and down her spine. "Keep dancing."

He began to sway with her pressed tightly against him. Juli gazed up into his face, but Yuki wouldn't look at her.

"There's something you're not telling me."

He scowled. "You shouldn't get your hopes up. That's not why I delivered this to you." The music swelled around them, and he finally met her eyes. "I lost the fight, fair and square, but I'm going to beat him next time."

"I…I don't understand." Why would Blue give Yuki his bandana?

"He didn't say who to give it to - just to deliver the message. He may be trying to say he's watching you Zwei members, I don’t know."

"Oh." She looked down at his chest. Where his shirt was unbuttoned, she caught a glimpse of the musculature beneath it.

She found herself looking directly at the skin above his collarbone; Blue had her caged against the wall, and he was so close she could see the day-old stubble on his chin, and smell the faintest trace of woodsy cologne. "And stop wearing that uniform around."

"So, don't go thinking it means something and then get your feelings hurt." Yuki's voice sounded harsh, almost like he was barking an order at her.

"Wear this when you go to the party. That's an order."

Her head shot up, but Yuki had stopped looking at her. Lines formed around his eyes and crevices dug into his forehead.

"That's not why I agreed to deliver it."

"I…" His hold on her was rigid, uncompromising. So much like… "I understand." She relaxed into his embrace.

"Good. So, now that that's settled, do you want me to get rid of that annoying guy for you?" His voice rumbled in his chest; the sensation felt strange against her ear.

"Who?" She raised her head. "Lucson?"

"Yeah." Yuki still wasn't looking at her.

"No, he's mostly harmless."

"Mostly." His voice grew angry, and his grip on her waist tightened. "I can't stand him, and I know Airs Blue can't either. If he wants to stay alive--"

"He should leave me alone?"

The music stopped. Yuki dropped his arms and pulled away. "Remember what I told you, and don't…" He spun on one heel and turned to go. "Don't get hurt."

"Thank you."

He paused, glanced at her over his left shoulder and nodded. Then Yuki Aiba disappeared into the crowd.
Converting /tmp/phphKo9qz to /dev/stdout