Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Third Wheels ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A few nights later on Usui, it was completely moonless, and almost eerily still. That is, until a pair of headlights and the sound of a motor shattered the silence, as the SilEighty gradually slowed down and parked on the gravel shoulder. Inside, Mako turned on the light. "So, how did we do?"

Sayuki folded her arms and huffed. Mako rolled her eyes, now a little irritated herself. "All right. What's the matter?"

"This is the matter," said Sayuki, frowning and thrusting her stopwatch forward. Mako took one look and felt her heart sink.

"God, that's even worse than last time…"

"We're in no shape to take on Takahashi Keisuke. What are you doing wrong?"

"Me? Are you sure the problem isn't on your end?"

"Mako…" Sayuki placed her palm on her brow and shook her head. "I feel all right. Sorry to say it, but when something's gone wrong, it's usually been on your end."

"Hey," said Mako, with flashing eyes and a low voice. "Part of what's expected of a team, is to share responsibility when things go wrong."

"Mako, I say that because I care. I care about you, don't get me wrong, but I also care about the success of Impact Blue. I've been your co-driver since high school, and I know when something's eating you. That's most often why we lose, because your emotions get in the way-wait, I'm not finished yet." She raised her hand to silence Mako, who had opened her mouth to protest. "…But right now, it seems that something's eating you worse than usual. Are you all right?"

"I'm fine."

"You can tell me what's going on," said Sayuki. "I'll hear you out."

"Nothing is going on."

"Come on, Mako. The other day you went from happy to sad in three milliseconds. And when I mentioned my trip, you were like, 'get me out of here'. I know you can be a moody person, but still."

Mako bit her lip and gazed at her lap for a moment. This is so pathetic… "Okay, I admit it. I'm jealous of the fact that you have a boyfriend. Again. I'm jealous of the fact that love seems to just fall into your lap, time and time again, while I get diddly-squat-"

"Toshizo and I aren't in love."

"You're not?"

"No. We like each other, but… I can't say it's love."

"It must be something if you're already planning winter vacation with him!"

"I would have invited you!" said Sayuki indignantly. "You would have been more than welcome to come, if you'd only said something. You can still come, if you want."

"No, I can't. Because this trip is just for you and him. It's for you as a couple-that's the way you planned it. I'd get in the way." Mako cast her eyes downward for a moment before saying, "Especially if you're going to a love hotel-aren't you?"

"No, we're not going to a love hotel, we're going to a little ski cabin but, Mako, next time I go on a trip of course you're invited. We could even go just us girls. All you have to do is say something." Sayuki looked right into her friend's eyes as she said the last sentence.

"It wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't be… romantic."

"Well…" Sayuki pondered for a minute, "If you absolutely must go with a guy, there is an alternative I have in mind, but I'm not sure…"

"You're not sure what?"

"Not sure that you'd do it."

"Do what?"

"Well… I was thinking we could double date. Me with Toshizo, and you with… well…"

"Who? You're not thinking of fixing me up with Shingo, are you?"

"Shingo?" Sayuki threw her head back and laughed. "I wouldn't fix a dog up with Shingo!"

"Is it Nakazato, then?"

"No… it's not Nakazato… but he's not a bad choice, come to think of it."

"Well, if it isn't him, who is it?"

Sayuki continued to look a mixture of amused and deep in thought. Her expression made Mako guess the answer in an instant. "Not Ryousuke."

"Yes."

"Not Ryousuke."

"Yes!"

Mako flushed beet red. "Are you kidding?! I can't go out with Ryousuke. He's… he's… he's Ryousuke."

Sayuki sighed. "Well… I knew you probably wouldn't take my suggestion…"

"Sayuki," said Mako, turning even redder. "This is Ryousuke you're talking about. I can't ask him out. Girls aren't supposed to ask guys out. (Screw that, thought Sayuki) It's like… it's like… it's like asking Koyasu-san to serenade me!"

Sayuki couldn't help giggling a little.

"Hey, I don't like it, okay?" said Mako, finally feeling assertive. "I don't like the way you tease me about it. I don't like how you keep implying that Ryousuke and I would make this great couple. And to pull that stuff in front of your boyfriend… God, do you know how embarrassing that is?!"

"Maybe," Sayuki gulped, trying to stifle her chuckles. "But I also know how long you've carried a torch for that guy."

"I don't need you to be a yenta!"

"I'd say you need somebody."

Mako's eyes flashed again. "Sayuki, Ryousuke's out of my league. Plain and simple. That was just a crush I had for him. A schoolgirl crush. He's got enough girls to last him for years."

Sayuki tried not to let it show on her face, as she said to herself: I've heard rumors, actually, that he's involved with a guy. But those are just rumors.

After a long pause, Mako continued, "Besides, he's never even talked to me."

"So, you do the talking first!"

"He'll think I'm unladylike. It doesn't work the way it works for you, Sayuki… it just doesn't."

"It'll work. Trust me. Just nicely introduce yourself and talk about… talk about racing! It's what you have in common. Look at it this way, you and him actually have something in common. That's more than I can say for those little bimbos on the sidelines," said Sayuki, making a face.

"That's the kind of girl he's going to marry. Some cute little bimbo who'll give cocktail parties while he's out racing. Or, he'll marry some beautiful actress or model. He's not going to go for a girl racer and a plain Jane like me. That's just how a Mister Popularity like him is."

"I was only making suggestions. You can take or leave them however you like. But I really hope you at least talk to him. Hey… even if he doesn't turn out to fall for you, you can at least pick up some new drifting tips."

"I'll think about it," said Mako.

"See that you do. Please?"

"All right, but… I feel nothing that way for Ryousuke. Not anymore." Mako stuck the key in the ignition. "How do we get to your house from here?"

"Just keep going. Remember that restaurant we passed? Make a left there and it'll go straight to my house."

"Okay." Mako started the car and coasted down the road, following Sayuki's instructions. And just as in their racing, Sayuki's sense of direction was spot-on, and Mako pulled into her friend's driveway in less than ten minutes.

"Mom turned off the lights again," Sayuki grumbled as she grabbed her purse and unbuckled her seat belt.

"Don't worry. I'll keep my lights on."

"Thanks."

Mako watched her friend until she unlocked the front door and slipped inside, and then she turned around to head for her own home.

What makes her think I could get Ryousuke interested in me anyway?… she thought, a little forlornly, as she drove away. If I did feel anything for him, that is…

Inside the house, Sayuki watched the SilEighty's taillights stretch farther away before turning a corner and disappearing from view altogether. Poor thing. She won't admit it, but she's still in love with him. Absolutely, head-over-heels in love. And she won't even try to figure it out for herself.

*~*~*~*

"It's no use," said Takumi, tossing and turning on the couch. He turned so his face was touching the cushions, and he buried his nose in them. "How am I gonna get up for the deliveries tomorrow…"

"Here," said Ryousuke, pulling up a chair right next to the couch, "Let me see if I can fix that." With those words he reached out and grasped Takumi's shoulders, feeling that they were very tense.

Takumi stirred at the firm, yet soothing pressure of the other man's hands. "Mmm… Ryousuke."

"Just relax." Ryousuke's voice had suddenly grown low and velvety, as soothing as the touch of his hands. It made Takumi feel as if he were soaking in warm soup. Or wrapped in a velvet blanket, lined with fluffy down, that caressed his every sore muscle.

One of Ryousuke's hands left his shoulders to squeeze and stroke the back of his neck. When this hand's work was done, its fingers skittered down his back, and all the way down the curve of his spine, brushing only with the fingertips. Then Takumi's shirt was pushed up, and Ryousuke's hand repeated the same motion on his bare skin. His other hand ran lazily up and down his side.

Then both hands coasted down Takumi's sides to rest on his hips. Takumi shuddered as he felt warm breath, then soft lips, then nibbling teeth on the back of his neck. One hand moved from his hips around to his chest.

"Ryo-" Takumi's voice was harsher, deeper to his ears as Ryousuke found one nipple and teased it in circles.

"Hmmm?" Ryousuke said, nuzzling against soft skin.

"I thought you wanted me to relax."

"I do," Ryousuke drawled as he gently turned Takumi onto his back and removed his shirt. "I want you to just lie down." He captured an earlobe between his lips as his unbuttoned his lover's jeans and pulled down the zipper.

*~*~*~*

Ryousuke spread a large blanket over a half-asleep Takumi on the couch. "Thanks," said Takumi as he snuggled into it.

"You're welcome. I'm glad to see you're comfortable now. How much longer is Tachibana supposed to be staying here anyway?"

"Until his pipe gets fixed. That'll be a few more days at least." He turned on his side. "He and dad will probably be out barhopping until it's time for me to get up."

"Well, you have a good night's sleep," said Ryousuke as he knelt down and gave Takumi a quick, soft kiss on the lips. "See you tomorrow."

"See ya." They kissed once more, and Ryousuke stood up, slid on his coat, and slipped downstairs and out the door of the tofu shop.

He took a minute to recall what had taken place as he opened the door on his FC and climbed in. How he enjoyed their little interlude tonight-how he enjoyed his young lover, the briny, earthy taste of his skin and the other, saltier taste of him. It had been relaxing for himself, too, just the thing he needed at this moment. Now he could wake up in a good frame of mind for the Usui race-the last race as the old Red Suns-

*~*~*~*

Finally, the day of the race with Keisuke arrived, and at five minutes after nine, Mako was pacing up and down, her eyes darting back and forth between her watch and the mountain pass.

"He's late, Sayuki. He's late."

"Not by very much," said Sayuki. "Don't get so worked up already."

"I'm trying, but it's not working," said Mako as she gazed down the pass again, trying to tune out the galleries as she suddenly heard a faint, strange noise. Cupping her hand behind her ear, she fixed her eyes on the road, until the sound grew in volume-unmistakably to the whine of a rotary engine.

"He's coming."

Several minutes later, the squealing of young girls in the galleries heralded the arrival of the number two Red Suns driver. Takahashi Keisuke stepped out and gave Mako the once-over. His eyes were penetrating-full of challenge and pride, and not without a little pugnacity. "Haven't met you properly. Takahashi Keisuke," he said, roughly. "And you?"

"Satou Mako. Impact Blue." Mako gave a slight bow.

"Well," said Keisuke, "Let's get this show on the road." He turned away, rather abruptly, and climbed into his FD. The engine started seconds later with the same horrible whine.

So short with me, thought Mako. He's probably angry, like all the others, at having to race a girl.

"Don't get worried," admonished Sayuki as they climbed into the SilEighty.

Damn her again. "I'm not worried." Mako buckled her seat belt, her hands tense. "I'll teach this guy that I'm no creampuff just because I'm a girl." She wasn't sure she believed her own words-just trying to give herself a pep-talk.

Luckily, Sayuki seemed convinced. "That's the spirit, Mako," she said with a smile. "Let's go," she continued as she buckled herself in.

An orange Silvia pulled up along the side of the road, and a short, tanned young man burst out, holding a stopwatch. "Sorry," he said, out of breath, as he made it up to the tarmac. Then he caught his breath and began the countdown as both drivers revved their engines. "Five… four… three… two… one…"