InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ No Need for Apologies ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 10: No Need for Apologies
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Note: Sorry for taking so long to post.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
The past is the past. There is nothing that can be done to change it unless there are other wells I don't know about so why worry about it?
 
Chapter 10: No Need for Apologies
 
Koenma walked around and pretended to search for Kagome. He had no need to actually try since he could sense her. She had her energy masked but as a demi-god he had a more heightened spiritual awareness that enabled him to sense more then the former spirit detective team. The pretense was for his sake so he could try to sort through his jumbled emotions without Yusuke laying into him again. Koenma knew he needed to apologize and he really wanted to but wasn't sure how because he wasn't sure why he was acting the way he was. Koenma was only sure of one thing and that was he had made her cry. He could feel her sadness and he cursed himself for being the cause.
 
No, he needed to stop lying to himself. He knew why and it was because he was jealous. All these years they had been taking care of his mate while he was unable to do anything but make her family's records disappear.
 
&&Flashback&&
 
Koenma felt numb as he walked towards the counsel. He had been looking through the latest report from demon realm when Botan informed him that his father was bringing Kagome in and was planning to put her on trial. He wanted to rush to her side, stand up to his father, and take her away to safety like in all those lame movies but Koenma knew that there was much more at stake here than just the life of his mate. If he did that he would anger his father and cause judgment to fall on the living realm and since he would then be considered an enemy there would be nothing to stop King Yam. He had to stay calm and logical because his duties to the lives in the living world must come first.
 
If only he was completed this would not be a problem because she would then become off limits even to his father. He needed to become complete so all this would stop and he wouldn't have to choose, but how? What was the key to completion? Koenma did not know. It was a highly guarded secret even to those who would go through the process because knowledge of it would interfere. It wasn't anything simple like a kiss because that would go against the law that his kind cannot have any intimate touch with their mates until after the completion. Was it an emotion or an event? What was it?
 
Kagome… no he couldn't let this happen, he had to step in…but the living world. His emotions raged within him, getting louder and stronger the closer he got to his destination. The voice in his head yelling to save Kagome was winning when Koenma turned a corner and saw the Kami of Redemption, the brother of Fate, leaning on the wall staring in his direction as if he was waiting for him. Koenma felt strangely intimidated by the kami and had a hard time meeting his stare.
 
When Koenma was almost up to him the kami spoke, “It will be handled. You will do nothing because there's nothing to do.”
 
This caused Koenma to stop and look directly into the kami's eyes, “This is Kagome yet you want me to do nothing?” he said sternly.
 
“Fate and Protection are in control here. Your interference would only cause greater harm. You will do nothing,” the kami said before leaving quickly in a matter that left no doubt he was a demon hunter in life.
 
“Do nothing?” Koenma said to himself before continuing on his way. He entered the trial area and saw Kagome in the middle of the room on her knees with her hands bound behind her back. His heart ached to see her like that.
 
Kagome turned her head and looked straight at him. He could see her emotions were as conflicted as much as his. She wanted him to save her but she knew what that would mean for the living world. He wanted to save her. Do nothing. No, he couldn't just sit here. Do nothing. No.
 
Then the choice was taken out of his hands. The Kami of Protection known during life as Inuyasha put a stop to the proceeding and then she was gone.
 
&&end Flashback&&
 
It was irrational but he was jealous. He was jealous that it was Inuyasha that saved her and not him. That it was those demons that have watched over her the last few years and again not him.
 
He turned to walk in the direction he had been avoiding for most of the day. It was time for him to talk to Kagome. He may be a demi-god but he was going to have to get over himself to fix this. She was right after all. He needed her and no one but her.
 
As he walked closer to where he knew Kagome was hiding he heard something that made him realize he was going to have to deal with another problem. Kurama was making her laugh. Rational or not, Kurama suddenly seemed like an enemy but then jealousy has never been rational.
 
He approached them trying to ignore certain violent thoughts and spoke directly to Kagome, “Kagome we need to talk.”
 
“Yes we do but after I finish my discussion with Kurama,” Kagome stated directly but with kindness.
 
“No we can finish this at a later time,” Kurama said. He knew he was on unstable ground.
 
“Okay then could you please stop the search for me and tell everyone we will come inside in awhile?” Kagome asked.
 
“I don't think…” Kurama started but Kagome cut him off with a wave of her hand.
 
“Go, please. We need to talk alone. It will be fine,” Kagome said.
 
“Alright,” Kurama responded before walking back towards the temple.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Kagome was the first to speak after a few moments of silence, “I'm sorry I really shouldn't have said that you were responsible. I don't really believe that.”
 
“You're sorry? I'm the one who was acting like a complete jerk,” Koenma said surprised.
 
“Yes you were but you're forgiven, now let's move on,” Kagome said with a wave of her hand.
 
“I'm forgiven? How can you just…” Koenma started before Kagome cut him off.
 
“The past is the past. There is nothing that can be done to change it unless there are other wells I don't know about so why worry about it?” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“O…Okay then… now what?” Koenma said confused. He expected to be groveling by now.
 
“For now we do nothing. At least where we are concerned. Since we have no idea how completion actually works we should focus on things that can be controlled like getting you that meeting with the kami counsel,” Kagome said in a way that told him she thought this was the most obvious thing in the world. She wasn't mad or at least not showing it. Koenma's soul suddenly felt lighter and he decided if she could act like everything had always been fine he could do the same.
 
“Yusuke told me about his meeting with you. I suppose it is because of Shippo that you seem to have become a master of illusions?” Koenma asked teasingly.
 
Kagome laughed and said, “Yeah, he set traps in the surrounding forest to keep unwanted people out and test those coming in. He also taught me enough to hide my appearance. It's not that great though because anyone with high enough spiritual awareness can see right through it but since you sent Yusuke I just had to have some fun.”
 
Koenma for the first time in days laughed. Kagome then continued, “Can we please go inside now so I can explain where I sent my baby brother and what I think we should be doing or are you going to go all crazy again when I mention certain demons?”
 
He gave her a small smile before saying, “I'll try to control my temper and not make a fool out of myself but I make no promises.” Kagome gave an exasperated sigh before turning to signal her demon cats to follow them back inside.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
When they got inside they found everyone gathered together waiting. Yusuke looked over Kagome as if he was looking for signs of damage. When he saw that she was smiling Yusuke relaxed. This greatly annoyed Koenma and he was about to say something when Kagome gave him a look that stopped him.
 
“Okay here's the deal. I use to travel back into time to before the barrier was put up and I met a lot of people, both humans and demons. I could tell you my whole story but that would take too much time at the moment so this is what you need to know. I met three demons that are still alive today and are very powerful. I sent my brother to them to inform them on what is happening here and to be prepared for our group to be coming into their territories,” Kagome explained.
 
“What are these demons names?” Yukina asked.
 
“Their names are Koga, Shippo or Sesshomaru,” Kagome answered.
 
“I've never heard of demons named Koga, Shippo or Sesshomaru. How strong can they be?” Hiei asked skeptically.
 
“Stronger than anything you guys have encountered. The reason you haven't heard of them is they don't care enough to make themselves known,” Kagome responded.
 
“Sesshomaru? Is he the son of the great dog demon of the former western lands?” Kurama asked.
 
“Yep that's him. His territory is the western part of the demon realm. Shippo's is to the north and Koga's to the south. We will be going to them because each controls a sacred object of Gaia. They use them to create a barrier around their territory and, though I would have no trouble getting through it, the rest of you would so it would just be a lot easier if they were expecting us,” Kagome explained.
 
Seeing that everyone understood, she continued, “As for the human world I only know of one sacred object of Gaia's location and that is because my family owns the shrine that it is located at. So while I train Kuwabara I need the rest of you, excluding Koenma, Botan and George, to find the other two. Will this be okay?”
 
She waited for everyone to give their agreement before saying, “Good. Kuwabara lets go. We will train through the night.” They started to walk out but Kagome stopped and said one more thing, “Please no interruptions unless it's urgent or if it's to tell me when my brother has returned.”
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
The next morning they decided to divide themselves into teams to go in search of the remaining sacred objects of Gaia. Kagome and Kuwabara had not been seen since the night before so they assumed they were still training.
 
Hiei went off on his own so it was decided he would be considered his own team. They decided the rest of the teams would be: Genkai and Mitarai, Kurama and Shizuru, Yusuke and Kayko, and Kido, Kaito, and Yanagishawa. Yukina decided to remain at the temple and wait for Kuwabara. With this decided they left to once again begin their search.
 
 
 
&&Please Review&&