InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Misconception ❯ Decisions ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







Thoughts

Flashbacks
< br> ~~*~~*~~*~~

Kagome gathered what few items she had and slammed the door on the way out. She had two options: move very far or agree to help him. Silently she was praying that it wasn't going to be the latter. She slipped the key in her land-lord's apartment. Either way, she decided, she wouldn't be coming back, at least she hoped not. How did he even find out about her? Kagome's thoughts dwelled on the fact that she hadn't bee careful enough. Some one found out. She had to fix that.

Her steps were fast and her shoes clacked along the sidewalk. School's out. Can't go back. I may have to get rid of those who know me. Aw hell! I should of just stayed in the fuedal era! Kagome silently berated herself. The Sohma estate was visible now. Should she use the front door or back? Back. She smiled. Quickly she walked to the far wall and listened for anyone on the other side. It sounded clear. If Akito thought he could toy with her then she could toy with him.

Kagome crouched and jumped up on top of the wall. She rolled off and landed on all fours. The yard was all quiet, silent as the grave. She slunk along the houses pausing when ever voices or footsteps drew near. Kagome stopped under a window when she heard Akito's voice.

"Hatori I'm expecting a guest some time soon, tell the maids to prepare a room."

"As you wish."

Everything was quiet again. His footsteps started toward the window. As soon as she decided he was close enough she jumped in. He fell backwards in shock but caught himself on a low table. Akito stared up, wide eyed, at least until he realized he was staring at Kagome.

"Did you think I would use the front door?"

"Actually, yes."

"Surprise." She hissed.

Kagome backed up to give him room to stand. Akito fixed his robes and brushed the hair out of his face. Kagome walked out to the porch and sat to face the gardens. Akito leaned in the door way looking at her silently.

"Where did you get the picture?"

"I traveled to East Tokyo yesterday. Wasn't I surprised when there were missing person flyers with your face all over them. Of course you don't look exactly the same but after I saw them enough times..." He trailed off.

Kagome turned to lean against a wooden beam. A small white bird landed on Akito's shoulder and chirped happily. Kagome shifted slightly to look back in the garden. She was never really a big fan of rock gardens but there was nothing else to look at.

"What do you want?" Kagome asked.

"You to work for me."

"In doing what exactly?"

"As I told you, we are cursed. I want you to break that curse."

"Why?"

"I told you that I was born as the god," Akito sat down. "In exchange for all the others living I must die. I don't want to die, but until the curse is broken I have no choice."

"So how am I supposed to break this curse."

"I mentioned how we transformed and how you could bypass the curse. So, what are you?"

"You may have found out who I am, but you'll never find out what I am."

Kagome knew the dangers of people knowing she was a demon. That if other people found out she would become hunted. And that was not a future she was looking forward to. Shigure was the exception. He wouldn't tell for fear of his life.

"You will reside here from now on. We will, however, send you to a different school."

"I do not wish to return to a school. Not until I'm free at least."

"What do you mean? You are free."

"Depends on if you look at the glass as half empty or half full." Kagome grumbled.

Akito shrugged and turned away.

"Hatori will show you to your room when it's ready. Don't try to run or you will have even less freedom." He whispered the last part.

"As if you could stop me.” She smiled.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Hatori came in about half hour later, or at least that was Kagome's guess. She didn't have a watch and there wasn't any clocks in the room. This place, she thought, seems timeless. Her thoughts wandered back to the feudal era and how this estate was so much like some of the old palaces. Just the layout and style screamed the feudal era. He led her silently to her room. It was much like her much her apartment but furnished. Kagome tossed her stuff on the bed in the other room.

"The couch is also a pull out bed."

Kagome just nodded at him. The room was fairly nice, as was the furniture, but it was cold. Not in the sense of temperature but something else. Empty. Lonely. Lost. It felt like that all wrapped into one tight bundle and stuck into the pit of her stomach. This place was...tolerable. Kagome slumped down on to the couch. Sitting in a place like this gave her time to think. Well...not really think, more like remember. Remember everyone from the past, her mom, grandpa, Souta, and even Buyo. Remembering was never good. It made her regret just up and leaving like she did. But the memories just wouldn't stop.

Kagome held the whole jewel in her hand. The soft pink glow was a small light in the darkness. She clutched it tight as if trying to crush it.

That's right.
Kagome reminiced. I had to make the decision about what to do.

She looked around wondering what was going to happen. How would they get rid of the cursed jewel that ruined so many lives and caused so many deaths. In the back of her mind was the small voice. That voice cried out its wish. The wish to be better, stronger. The wish to be a demon.

Who could have guessed that was what I wanted.

The soft pick glow enveloped her. Kagome screamed in pain at the fact that her human blood was being ripped out of her. Teeth lengthened along with claws. Eye sight sharpened. Even her hair gained a slight sliver undertone in some spots so that when the moon hit it just right it looked like stripes. Muscles spasmed because of the rapid growth. Last but not least the tatoo felt like it was branded into her arm.

I can remember the pain. So terrible. Pure agony. But I wanted it.

Kagome fell to the ground in a heap. It hurt to move anything, even blink. Yet she stood and looked at her hands. Instantly she knew. Knew what happened. Knew it was wrong to wish such a thing. Knew her friends would be disappointed. Not angry mind you. With that knowledge swirling like a cyclone through her mind she left through the well.

I couldn't even stay and face them. I was such a coward.

Quickly and silently she snuck into the house, careful of the loose boards that would creak. She pulled her small black bag out of the closet. That was about the only black thing she owned. After shoving clothes in and zipping it up, she left. Just as she was walking down the shrine stairs she heard the well house doors open.

Yeah, that's right. He was practically right behind me.

Panic of being caught took over and she ran down the stairs. Her form was a blur to the people who passed by as she raced to find a hiding place. Even at night the streets were pretty crowded. She ducked into an alley that was packed full of garbage. Kagome almost couldn't breath and it took all of her will power just to stop from gagging on the stench. Inuyasha walked past the alley. She could hear him sniffing. Thankfully he kept walking.

He couldn't smell me over the garbage. Heck I couldn't even smell me over the garbage.

Kagome wandered the streets for a few days. It was easy to survive. There was a abandoned home a few blocks over. She shared it with a few other homeless, and they gave her the space she requested. In exchanged she often provided food and water. Then the one day she was sitting outside enjoying the wonderful weather. Her eyes rolled down the street. She froze when they landed upon a familiar silver haired man. InuYasha. She threw herself backwards into the barely alive bushes hoping he didn't find her. InuYasha paused at where she had been for a moment, but other than that brief pause he left.

That was when I knew I had to leave. To get away.

As soon as he was far enough away she told her house mates that she would not be returning. She left and while walking down the street she spotted the missing person flyers. So many of them were her face. It was an old school photo. She walked by not even pausing. Then she found the apartment and that was when the new story began.

That's when I first ran into this family. And how I royally screwed up my life...a second time.

Kagome sighed. Her stomach grumbled in complaint. She'd need to go hunting soon. Strangely enough if she ate fresh raw meat it kept her sustained for weeks at a time. But human food...well...let's just say she would have to go through quite a bit of it to even make a dent in her hunger. She walked out into the hall and came face to face with Akito.

"Where are you going, Kagome?"

"Hunting. I will return shortly."

"Hunting?" He questioned.

"Yes. I like fresh meat every once in a while. Is there a problem?"

"No. No problem at all."

He continued walking down the hall. She left and headed toward the direction of the mountains. She would be gone for a few days. Although if she really tried it could be brought down to a single day. But where's the fun in that. Akito turned to watch her leave and gave a small malicious smile.

“Soon they will be mine forever.”