InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ AGainst All Odds ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha, nor any of their affiliated characters. They respectively belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Rumiko Takahashi. Full credit for these wonderful characters and worlds, belong to them! I am however using Naruto, Sakura, Bankotsu, and Kagome {along with various others} for my own twisted enjoyment. The plot line of this story and all of its little twists however, I do take full credit for!

A/N: Okay so a new year has begun, and I have decided that this year I’m going to ‘broaden my horizons’ by doing more crossover fics. This will be the first.

I’m fairly new to the Naruto fandom of writing, so kindly bear with me while I slowly familiarize myself with this new universe- Thank you in advance for your patience! XD

--

Key

‘thoughts’

“speaking”

~Random thoughts~

{Demon thoughts}

--

Terms used throughout this fic:

Alabaster- smooth and white

Sulpherous- bright yellow

Sanguineous- bloody; of, like or pertaining to blood; blood-red

Atrous- jet black

Haori- Japanese style kimono shirt

Hakama- Japanese style kimono pants tied at the waist

Obi- Japanese type of sash or belt that is worn around the waist over a haori

Fondushi- Japanese style of underwear worn by warriors back in the Feudal times.

--

Prologue:

It was a beautiful sunny day and since everyone was resting up, Sai decided to take his pastel colors outside and work on one of his abstract drawings. It was the only time that he allowed himself the luxury of relaxing.

Art was the one weakness in which Sai allowed himself to indulge. It cleansed his mind and left him more able to focus on his missions without any distractions when the time came.

Being one of the Anbu’s special operatives- the ‘root division- for him to have feelings of any kind was strictly forbidden. He’d even had no feelings when his own older brother died, to prove his loyalty to the Anbu. So to Sai, feelings were unnecessary and were never allowed.

He barely paid attention to the soft breeze brushing past his colorless face as he concentrated on his artwork. It was mostly dark colors swirled together in a mass of unending abstract designs. He didn’t even use bright colors; he preferred the dark ones. They fit his demeanor and moods better.

He did, however, register the soft footfalls coming from behind him as Sakura walked up, stopping only a few feet away.

He slightly angled his thin body to look at her. She smiled with her hands clasped behind her back and said conversationally, “So you draw, huh?”

He watched carefully as she walked over, and he asked, “Is there something you want?” staring at her with blank, empty eyes.

She bent over and looked at him sideways, observing, “You’re foul-mouthed but have a sensitive side, huh?” Giving him one of her fake smiles, she added, “That’s a surprise.”

He stared right into her eyes and returned her fake smile, saying, “That fake smile again… So, you’re still not done hitting me yet, huh?”

She became serious and replied, “Not quite.” He stared at her stoically. She smiled, admitting, “I’m kidding! I really just came over to look at what you were drawing.”

“I see,” he replied in a monotone voice and returned focus to his drawing. His fingers brushed the paper with light strokes as the dark colors took their intended places across the paper.

Sakura watched Sai as his long slender fingers carefully stroked across the page with the pastel secured between his pale fingers. She said, “At first I thought maybe it was a landscape because you were drawing it out here.”

Her eyes lit up as she said, “But it’s an abstract, right?” Sai remained silent and continued working as his art took shape before her very eyes.

She watched, a little impressed by his unexpected talent and asked curiously, “So what’s the title of this drawing?”

He stopped and just stared at her a minute and then began drawing again as he replied crisply, “I never title my drawings.”

She frowned and repeated, “Never? Really?” with sadness and a bit of confusion filling her sea green eyes.

Sai informed her seriously, “I’ve drawn thousands of pictures, but not once have I ever titled one. I feel nothing, and so they have no titles.” sending her another false smile.

She was about to say something when Naruto walked over and huffed, “Figures you’d say something callous like that.”

Adding grumpily, “Captain Yamato sent me to get you two because it’s almost time to leave for our mission.” yawning as he scratched his head and tried to wake up.

He walked over and barely inspected the drawing before scoffing, “This picture is nothing special.” Feeling a bit slighted by Sakura’s sudden growing interest in this guy and his art.

Sai smiled and said, “Just like your equipment, huh?” before turning his back to a slightly blushing Sakura and a sputtering Naruto to begin calmly placing his pastels back inside his bag.

After getting over his eyebrows twitching from the insult, Naruto challenged, “Hey you! If you’ve got a problem with me, then just come right out and say so! I’ll take you on anytime, anywhere.” with annoyance blazing in his blue eyes.

Sai closed his drawing pad and said calmly, “I have no problem with you.” before turning to add, “I don’t care about you at all,” with his patented fake smile, leaving both Sakura and Naruto completely speechless as he began gathering his belongings.

Naruto stood there wide-eyed with his jaw dropped, unable to believe what Sai had just said.

His eyes clouded over and his past began replaying in his head, the days where he had been lonely, and branded an outcast.

Briefly he felt like that lonely little boy again as the words rang inside his head. The air was sucked out of his lungs as the words hit him much like a fist slamming into his gut.

“I don’t care about you at all.”

Naruto had to focus on breathing as he tried to calm his rapidly beating heart and remind himself that he wasn’t that lonely kid without anyone to care for him anymore. He wasn’t in the dark, cold, lonely place anymore. Nowadays he had friends and had even begun to earn the respect of his elders. He’d even managed to impress Granny Tsunade- the current Hokage.

“I don’t care about you at all.”

But as those word’s rang in his mind again like an unwanted mantra, he felt all of the warmth and happiness slowly leave his body and began to fill with the same cold loneliness that he’d been subjected to far too often as a child, when he watched the other children playing happily together, while he stood off alone, unwelcomed in their games, let alone in their presence.

He’d been called names and even kicked around the few times they even bothered to acknowledge him. It had been a dark, desolate time for him and waking up every day had become a chore. The only thing that had kept him going then was his strong determination to someday become the Hokage.

It had seemed like forever before the village finally showed him a brief stint of kindness and allowed him to attend Ninja training with the other kids, thanks mainly to the generosity of the now deceased third Hokage.

Sensing Naruto’s momentary relapse and growing depression, Sakura placed a firm hand on his shoulder, causing him to snap out of the cold place his thoughts had taken him to and look at her.

She sent him a genuine smile as if to reassure him, without even a word, that he was okay, before removing her hand and walking over to help Sai gather his things.

Naruto’s coldness melted almost instantly at Sakura’s warm smile. The vice-like grip of fear that had taken root was quickly shoved away as the warmth of her smile and friendship washed through him. She always made him feel better.

The warmth returned to his body and forced all of the coldness and sadness away, filling him once again with a happy warmth. A goofy grin crossed his face as he thought, ‘I’m not alone anymore, and I never will be again. I have Sakura and the others.’

Instantly feeling better, he watched albeit a tad jealously as Sakura bent over to help Sai. Naruto sighed and thought petulantly, ‘Why does she have to be so nice to him?’

Sakura’s hand reached out and landed on a small book which could almost fit in just one hand. The cover had a childish drawing of a person with white hair on it.

‘Hm, what’s this?’ she thought, picking it up for a closer look. Her sea green eyes widened as she realized it was a book. ‘This isn’t published either.’ She thought, staring at the childlike drawing.

She handed it to Sai and asked, “Did you draw this too?” staring at him while he continued putting his things in his bag.

He glanced sideways and snatched the book, replying, “Yes.” before taking it and shoving it neatly into his bag.

Sakura jumped to her own conclusions and said, “Wow, a picture book. That’s so cool!” grinning.

Naruto watched from his position still several feet away and thought sourly, ‘Why is she so interested in his stuff?’ He harrumphed and looked away, slightly jealous.

Sakura asked, “Say, do you think I can take a look at it while we walk?” with excitement in her voice, causing Naruto to open his eyes and stare in their direction again.

Sai said, “I can’t let you see it.” Adding seriously, “It’s not finished yet.” as he closed his bag and slipped it onto his skinny back. He wasn’t muscular, but he was athletic; even with a lanky body you couldn’t miss the flat abs he wore.

Sakura frowned a bit, but decided to let it drop for now. She smiled and asked, “Well then, shall we get going?” as she started walking off to follow Naruto, though staying far enough back that Sai wasn’t completely alone either.

Naruto huffed and began leading the way over to Yamato, who was waiting behind one of the large trees, eavesdropping in on their conversation to make sure that everything was okay since there was still some tension between the new group of teammates.

--

In the other Universe:

Kagome had just returned from another grueling session of her tests. They seemed to be increasingly difficult now. She huffed and pushed her large sulpherous bag, which as usual was stuffed full to the point that it was bulging, over the aging wooden rim of the Bone-Eater’s well.

It amazed her time and again how something that looked so old was actually quite sturdy.

Her bag landed on the ground with a heavy thud. She grunted and used her arms to pull herself up onto the rim and then fell over, causing her tiny green skirt to flutter in the breeze as she fell toward the dirt with a soft ‘oomph’. ‘Well that was fun,’ she thought sarcastically, rubbing the slight ache from her backside. She sat up panting slightly as she waited to regain her breath.

‘Stupid bag is getting heavier and heavier.’ She thought, mildly annoyed while staring at the bulky bag.

Inuyasha and the others weren’t expecting her to actually return for a few more days, so they were off trying to see to things like repairing Sango’s Hiraikotsu, and preparing for their next trip out. Miroku, of course, was off flirting with some village maidens. Shippo had gone to visit his father’s grave.

Kagome sighed and stared up at the sunny sky wearing a small smile, thinking, ‘At least the weather is decent here today.’

As soon as she regained her breath, she stood up and slipped the bag onto her back before slowly making her way over to the sacred tree where her bow and a quiver of arrows lay waiting for her.

She dissolved the thin barrier around her weapons and went to retrieve them when she spotted a note pinned to the tree above her bow.

--

Kagome,

We’ve gone to prepare for our next trip out. Kaede said these would be safe here.

We should be back by the time you return.

Sango.

--

She muttered, “They left me behind again.” Adding, “Well I am a few days early, so I guess it’s not so surprising.”

She slipped the bow over her shoulder and slipped the quiver of arrows over her other shoulder and thought, ‘Now what should I do?’ as she began walking back towards the village.

About halfway there, she heard a familiar and unexpected voice, which sent shivers of apprehension running down her spine.

“Well, well, if it isn’t the little miko.” He drawled, amused.

Her eyes widened and she spun around demanded, “How did you find me?” glaring at him, as she dropped the heavy, bulky bag to the ground in case she needed to fight.

Bankotsu licked his lips as excitement entered his eyes before replying, amused, “I just happened to be passing by and thought I’d see if I could find any new victims to play with.” as he lazily tapped Banryu against his broad shoulder.

He grinned at the look of horror that entered her eyes at his statement and added, “So where are your little friends?” enjoying the fact that he’d caught her alone. He knew that he could easily overpower the girl anytime he chose to, so he decided to toy with her a bit first.

She drew her bow and notched an arrow, slightly afraid, though trying hard not to show it. She spoke as bravely as she could, “I won’t let you hurt or kill innocents while I’m around.” staring at him down the shaft of her arrow as she took aim.

He was pleased by the note of fear that he heard in her voice. ‘Good. She should be scared.’ He thought, highly amused.

Smirking, he lowered Banryu to the ground, standing it up with the curved blade of the handle resting on the ground as the blade stood upright next to him. The fear in her eyes intensified and his smirk widened. “Do you really think you stand a chance against me alone?” he queried, raising a brow.

She licked her dry lips and replied with false bravado, “Yes.”

He purposely tightened his grip on the handle just to see that look of fear in her eyes increase yet again and asked, “Really?” with laughing eyes.

It amused him for some reason that she tried so hard to hide her fear. She was failing, however, because he could practically smell it rolling off of her slender body.

Kagome shook a bit and squeaked out another yes. Bankotsu chuckled and said, “Give it your best try then, Miko. I’ll even let you have the first shot.” challenging her with his now cold and serious eyes as he held Banryu in front of him, pointing the blade towards the frightened girl.

Kagome’s eyes widened and her fingers shook as she took aim, thinking, ‘All I have to do is aim for the shard in his-‘ and abruptly gasped. “What happened to the shards?”

His deep chuckle rumbled through the air and he asked, “You’re just now realizing that they’re gone?” laughing at her.

She stomped her foot and yelled, “Hey, I’ve been a bit preoccupied, keeping you from slaughtering innocents, okay?”

Bankotsu lost all humor and said, “You’re becoming impertinent and annoying.” He grinned evilly at the shocked look on her face.

“I didn’t think you knew any big words like that,” she said, grinning.

The smirk fell from his face, and he said, “Time to die, miko,” intending to strike Banryu towards her. At the same time a wide eyed Kagome went to release her arrow, the sky opened up with a fierce powerful wind that flew around them, causing both combatants to stare around them in confusion, wondering what was going on as a deafening roar invaded their ear drums, causing them to wince.

In the sky beside them, a large vortex began to form. The crackling, sparking clouds seemed to tighten around them. As the storm and vortex swirled around them, growing larger and stronger with each passing moment; the air began to sizzle, pop, and crackle. The ground pitched and rolled with rumbling shudders.

Kagome could only manage a squeak of surprise before the pain registered. They felt as if their bones were being crushed and the fierce wind seemed to suck the air from their lungs.

Finally, after what seemed like several minutes, the ominous vortex reached its maximum strength, and it began to create a greater wind that began to suck in whatever it could.

A horrified yell ripped past Kagome’s lips as the enormous and ominous-looking portal opened up directly beside them, and she was immediately lifted high into the air. She used one hand to frantically try and keep her skirt from flying up while her other clutched her bow and quiver of arrows to her like they were her only lifeline.

Before he knew what happened, Bankotsu felt himself being lifted from the ground by the fearsome winds with the edges of his haori fluttering in the wind despite the heavy armor strapped over his back and chest. His hand tightened around Banryu as he tried to fight the pull of the wind to no avail. "What the fuck is going on here?!" shouted a clearly baffled and angry Bankotsu.

Kagome’s terrified screams ripped through the air and her slender arms tightened to have death grip on her bow and her quiver of arrows, which she was crushing against her chest. Her skirt flew about wildly as the winds grabbed her and sucked her into the portal with her atrous hair blowing about so hard that it stung her cheeks each time it hit her in the face. Her eyes were squeezed shut as she tried not to be overcome by panic.

Bankotsu’s heavy braid whipped against his face, annoying him a bit, and his eyes widened in fear, as he too was captured by the winds and dragged into the portal. The portal almost instantly closed behind him.

--

A/N: I am aware that the Naruto part closely resembles one of the episodes from season one of Shippuuden. Keep in mind that I did that merely to give everyone a sense of the time frame where everything will be taking place. It is not my intention to copy the cannon plot, but I needed somewhere to start this from so that everyone would know about the time frame for which this story takes place in.

Okay so that’s it for the prologue. I hope everyone will enjoy my newest fic. I’m really excited about where this is headed. As always, opinions on how I’m doing and what you think of this idea are both widely encouraged. I also gladly welcome constructive criticism. It helps me to improve my own writings and grow as an author! XD