InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ AGainst All Odds ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha, or any of their affiliated characters. They respectively belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Rumiko Takahashi. Full credit for these wonderful characters and worlds, belong to them! I am however using Naruto, Sakura, Bankotsu, and Kagome {along with various others} for my own twisted enjoyment. The plot line of this story and all of its little twists however, I do take full credit for!

Chapter One:

Kagome woke up feeling a bit groggy and moaned as she tried to open her eyes. Her body felt as if she’d been hit by a semi or put through a meat grinder and then pieced back together again. She had aches in places she didn’t know a body could ache.

Her fingers tightened of their own accord, and her mind slowly registered that something was in her hands. She looked down at her hands, and her eyes widened as she saw the wooden, priestess bow and the quiver of arrows she’d been clinging to.

‘At least I have these with me,’ she thought, slightly relieved, knowing that she wouldn’t be completely weaponless. She forced the pain from her mind and worked at slowly getting to her feet.

Though the pain was still there, she tried really hard to ignore it, breathing through the worst of it to find her balance. After several minutes, she managed to kick start her brain a bit faster.

‘All that I can clearly remember is that I was facing off against Bankotsu, and then the sky opened up and - ‘ her eyes shot wide and began scanning the area. She froze as she recognized the massive body laying only a few feet from her.

Instinctively scooting back a few paces on her rear, she thought shocked, ‘Bankotsu.’ She wasn’t sure if she should wait for him to wake up or just leave. She also didn’t know if he’d immediately attack her or not.

She chewed her bottom lip nervously and thought, ‘Do I run and risk getting lost wherever it is that we have ended up? Or do I stay and risk him being angry when he wakes up?’

What a dilemma she faced right now: run and face the unknown head on, or stay and face the monster that she at least had some knowledge of what to expect with…

She debated both sides and sighed, thinking, ‘At least with Bankotsu I do have some idea of what to expect.’ So she resigned herself and waited.

She didn’t have very long to wait. Within minutes, he began to stir.

Bankotsu’s eyes opened and he too felt a bit groggy. One hand went to his aching head, and his other hand automatically clenched tighter around Banryu’s handle in order to reassure himself that his weapon was indeed with him.

He released an audible sigh of relief at the familiar press of the cold steel against his palm. He slowly pulled the large weapon closer to his chest, almost hugging it, and forced his mind to clear from the hazy state it was in.

Slowly he became aware of the intense throbbing as his entire body pulsed with pain and ached horribly, but he called on his warrior training and ruthlessly forced the pain into the back of his mind, locking it away. He silently commanded his body to move, and much to his delight, his body immediately obeyed his commands.

One of many advantages being a warrior afforded him.

He climbed to his feet and began scanning his surroundings. His eyes widened a bit as he noticed the raven-haired miko. She looked just as lost and confused as he felt. He thought grumpily, ‘Oh great she just had to be here too. What am I, a damned babysitter?’

Sighing heavily he rubbed the back of his head and began scanning his surroundings again, asking sarcastically, “I don’t suppose you happen to know where we are?” He frowned as he failed to recognize any of their immediate surroundings.

All that he was able to make out was that there were some trees around them, dirt under their feet and… the sound of running water? He huffed thinking, ‘At least that’s one necessity covered for now.’

Kagome demanded testily, “How the hell would I know?” glaring at him for his rudeness, and wincing when her head pounded more in retaliation of her glaring.

He heaved a heavy sigh and thought sarcastically, ‘She’s a real sweet one, huh?’ snorting in response to his inaudible question.

He focused his sharp blue eyes on their surroundings and scowled. He’d never seen this place before, so he knew damned well they had to be somewhere he’d never been before as he always remembered every placed he went to.

It was part of his training as a mercenary- knowing your surroundings so that you could quickly determine whether you lived or died in an intense situation.

Kagome sighed and muttered, “Looks like trees, so at least that much is the same.” as she knelt down to run her hand in the dirt. “This feels the same too.”

They hadn’t time-traveled; she knew what that felt like. This…. This was something different. Time travel never left her feeling completely disoriented like she was feeling right now. She felt entirely out of place. None of this place seemed familiar, minus the trees and dirt. No, this… whatever it was that had happened to them, was something very different, and it puzzled her.

Bankotsu snorted at her snippy attitude and strange actions about the obvious. Without a word or a thought for the miko, he started walking in the direction he heard water coming from.

Realizing that he intended to just abandon her, Kagome felt a momentary panic seize her heart. She quickly jumped up and squeaked, “Hey, don’t just leave me here,” as she hurried to catch up to him.

‘I mean really, the nerve of this guy! Does he seriously think that he’s going leave me here all alone? Wherever the hell here is exactly,’ she thought perturbed.

Bankotsu rolled his eyes and warned, “Listen well, little miko, you either keep up or else I’ll leave you behind. Doesn’t matter much to me either way.” lifting his broad shoulder in a careless shrug before placing Banryu to lean heavily on his shoulder in its normal place.

She grit her teeth at his callous mannerisms and huffed, “My name is Kagome, not miko! Say it with me now, Ka-go-me.” Staring at him clearly annoyed. He chuckled, slightly amused by her spunk and simply smirked before walking off again. She stomped her foot in frustration before walking with him silently down the path.

Her quiver was filled to the brim with arrows that were luckily somehow unbroken. She slung it on her back, and the wooden bow rested comfortably in one hand, as they continued walking down the path.

After several long moments of strained silence, she chanced a look at her very reluctant companion. His eyes were scanning their surroundings for any plausible dangers. His jaw was firm and obviously clenched, judging by the slight tick of the skin beside his mouth. He looked very intimidating and strangely that somehow reassured Kagome.

At least with him around, she wouldn’t be facing everything alone. She had her bow and arrows, sure, but she also had no idea what she might end up facing. Bankotsu was strong enough to stand against Inuyasha; she’d witnessed that with her own eyes, so she knew that he’d more or less be able to stand against pretty much anything here.

Kagome sighed. ‘I never would have thought that I’d be even the least bit grateful for Bankotsu’s presence…at least until now.’ Her fingers tightened on her bow and she sighed heavily.

Bankotsu grit his teeth trying to keep his cool and remain focused on his surroundings. But the constant sighing of the chit beside him was seriously beginning to grate on his already frazzled nerves.

A few steps later Kagome sighed again, and Bankotsu finally lost it. He spun on the ball of his foot and quickly slammed her into one of the trees. He got directly in her face and warned with a dangerous growl, “If you don’t stop that annoying sighing right now, I’m going to cut off your damned head!” glaring hard into her wide eyes.

Aware that she’d gotten the message from the trembling of her body, he huffed and shoved himself away from the tree and began storming down the path again.

After calming her racing heartbeat to a normal pace again, Kagome ran to catch back up with him and made sure not to sigh again, thinking, ‘Wow, talk about touchy.’ as she tried to distract herself by taking in their environment.

The trees were thick and well… normal. But the feel of this place was very different. In the Feudal Era things had felt… different. There was always an air of danger everywhere around. Demonic auras were spread over large spaces.

Here wasn’t the same. The tension in the air was very thick, as if opposing forces were all around her. Now, so far at least, she didn’t sense any demonic auras here, which also puzzled her.

By the look of things, Bankotsu had also picked up on it because his face was frowning and his eyes were clouding over with confusion. Knowing that she was a miko and that all mikos picked up on auras fairly quickly, Bankotsu asked, “Does something seem a bit… off to you?”

She nodded replying, “Yeah, I don’t seem to sense anything demonic anywhere.”

He stopped as his eyes widened, and he turned to face her, agreeing, “You’re right.” Adding, “Although, the tension in the air is still thick.” which only served to add to his confusion.

She nodded and he used his free hand to rub his chin, pondering what their discovery could mean. She bit her lip and said, slightly anxious, “Bankotsu, I don’t think we’re in the Feudal Era anymore.” staring into his blue eyes.

The crease between his eyebrows deepened and he stared back at her, admitting, “I think you might be right.” before heaving a heavy sigh and continuing down the path they had started on. Right now, his first priority was getting to that damned water. She quietly kept pace beside him.

--

A/N: Yay! The first chapter is done. I can’t say for sure yet exactly how often updates will come on this one, but I can promise at least one every two weeks, until I finish my other story {Small Youkai Lovers.} Once that is finished, I’ll be able to dedicate myself to this one full time.

Here’s a preview for the next chapter of Against All Odds:

Bankotsu and Kagome begin traveling together and end up sharing their knowledge with each other, realizing that, at least for now, they must rely on each other for survival, while exploring and learning the dangers both obvious and hidden of this strange new world.