InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mirai He ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 5
The Chunin Journeyman Ninja Selection Exam
“Part One”
 
~*~
 
The Chunin Journeyman Ninja Selection exam
Rules for Part One
 
Each Applicant begins with a perfect score of ten points. There are ten questions worth one point apiece. A point is subtracted for every incorrect answer. The grading system is entirely based on a principle of penalization.
The exam is a team event. What matters is how close each three ninja cell can come to retaining its initial 30 points.
Anyone caught attempting to cheat or aiding and abetting a cheater will lose two points for each offense.
Anyone who has no points left at the test's end-whether due to being caught cheating or to an inability to answer any of the questions correctly-will automatically fail;if a single individual fails, the remaining two members of that person's cell will be failed as well.
 
Ibiki glared at all of them. “You have one hour…starting…now!” The sound of pencils scratching on paper filled the air as students clenched their fists and read over the difficult questions.
 
~*~
 
Sakura thought, This could be a no win situation…please Naruto…say it isn't so…try to hang on to at least one of your points!
 
~*~
 
Naruto thought heh…heh heh heh… this is funny… Here I am again…Facing the worst kind of enemy! Teachers didn't call me the all-time dunce for nothing! I earned that name on the field of battle.
 
He leaned over his paper and scaned it quickly. The trick is not to show any fear. Tests can smell fear! “hmm.hh-hh-hmmm…” he hummed. Remain calm… Don't do everything at once. Look each question square in the eye. Try to find the weakest link… The easy one. Separate it from the herd, and take it down.
 
~*~
 
Sasuke stared at Naruto's back. This isso not good. Naruto is an idiot… I just hope he dosen't panic.
 
He glanced down at the fist question. Whoa. First up is cryptography. They want us to work our butts off!
 
Chuunin Journyman Ninja Selection
“Exam Part One”
 
Question No.1
 
Decode the following cipher and summarize its meaning.
 
~*~
 
Naruto grinned at his paper. Next!
 
~*~
 
Sakura glanced at Nauruto. I wonder how Naurto's doing…
 
But I've got to concentrate on my own work! I've got to hang onto all of my points to make up for him.
 
Um… Number Two…
 
“The Parabola marked B represents the greatest effective distance the enemy shinobi, A, could throw a shuriken star from the top of a 23.3 foot tall tree…
 
“Calculate the specific features of the scenerio and deduce the range of the shuriken's effectiveness, assuming a consistent speed for shinobi A's assult upon any enemy shinobi operating within the arc that the flight of the shuriken describes. Show your work.”
 
This…This is …To solve this, you need to hypothesize under very uncertain conditions… and then apply the laws of kinetics to whatever you come up with!
 
There's no way Naruto could solve something like this!! Of course, neither can most perople here. It's a killer…
 
~*~
 
Naruto stared at his paper with a smile that soon turned into a disbelieving frown.
 
~*~
 
Hmf. Sasuke thought, his lip curling up into a smile as he watched his team mate's disbelief.
 
Heh…heh. Well, well…I don't know how to answer a single one of these questions. He sighed nervously. And what's the deal with number ten?
 
Qustion Number 10
 
This question will not be provided until forty-five minutes into the exam. At the time, please answer the proctor's question to the best of your ability.
 
~*~
 
Naruto groaned. Aw… Man, am I screwed here. Totally. Seriously. Fatally Screwed! What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?
What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?
 
“Craaap! Grrrr… I've got to be sly… sneaky…,” he growled, clutching his head in an effort to finds answers. Hinata smiled at him, a faint blush on her cheeks.
 
~*~
 
Sasuke glanced over at the “teachers” who were watching to see if one of the even made the slightest of moves tthat indicated cheating. They're watching us. Like cats watch mice. Like they expect us to cheat. Those rats!
 
~*~
 
Sakura sweated nervously. Rule number 2…Makes it pretty clear that we're competing against each other. Obviously, only the teams that keep the most points will be allowed to pass.
 
I just wish I knew where the cut-off lies-How many of the top teams can pass… Not that knowing would change anything… But uncertainty is driving me nuts.
 
The girl sitting on her right stood up suddenly. “You know…the one thing I keep wondering… is how many of the top-ranking teams they intend to pass.”
 
Sakura remained silent and Ibiki laughed. “Knowing that isn't going to help you, it is? Unless you're hoping to fail.” “I-I'm sorry.” The girl sat down, ashamed of her actions.
 
I thought so! If only about ten of the fifty onr teams here can pass…All thrree of us have to retain as many points as possible. The system is set up so it almost forces you to cheat. I just hope Sasuke and Naruto dan't panic and try to take that way out.
 
But the wouldn't. They couldn't . Not even Naruto is that stupid…is he?
 
~*~
 
Naruto took deep breaths. Remains calm… Above all, proceed with caution. My only hope is to cheat so well they don't catch me!!!
 
Oi, Have fun reading? Great!
 
Love ya,
 
Ame