InuYasha Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Urusei Yatsura Fan Fiction ❯ The Official Fanfiction University of Rumiko Takahashi! ❯ Building a dormitory pt- II ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter seven

*****


Cait, Lenore, and the other hurt students were healed by the next day, thanks to Dr. Tofu's Insta-heal. Since most of the building they had been using to sleep in was destroyed, the students were told to get their stuff out of it so they could reconstruct the building. However, when they surveyed the building's damages, it turned out that it would cost less just to build a new one. So, after all the students had gotten their belongings out, the construction began.

Unfortunately for the students, whoever was in boss had deemed that the students needed a little exercise, and that constructing large structures built character.

"Hey Cait, can you help me with these bricks?" Kisa frowned, and struggled with the weight of the wheelbarrow she was carrying, loaded with large concrete slabs.

Cait got up from where she had been painting part of a wall that had already been partially constructed. "Here," she said, picking up several, and taking them over to where Nate was laying them sloppily.

"Nate, what are you doing? You have to make them even! This is your new dorm room, not mine." Sango was walking around, checking to see that the students were working and not talking and lazing around.

Nate muttered under his breath. "It's not your, that's for sure. You get to stay in a 5 star hotel downtown!" It was true. A unanimous vote from the faculty had deemed necessary the requirement of adequate residences of the staff during emergencies like this. Now they were all livin' it up at a nearby 550$ a night hotel, being paid for by, that's right, the student's tuition money.

"I didn't know we had to pay to go here!" Cait whispered to Nate, evading Sango's watchful eye.

"We didn't have to until the other day. Now they'll be billing us monthly, or at least that's what I've heard. Who knows. Maybe we'll get out of it! I mean, it's not like we're here by choice."

Cait thought about that for a while as she helped Nate lay the bricks. Glancing at her watch after a bit, she noticed it was almost time for lunch. Kisa and Zeppo, tired from applying wallpaper to the partially completed lobby, walked over to where they were talking together. "I wonder what we're going to get to eat for lunch."

Lenore popped up from nowhere. "Maybe they'll get pizza!" she said brightly.

They all turned suddenly, as Sango's loud voice boomed through a mega-phone. "Can you hear me, students? Good. We're about to break for lunch. Please put all equipment before eating, or every single one of you will have detention." She glared at them to let them know she wasn't kidding. As they all quickly put away all the materials and rushed over to where many picnic tables were set up, and seated themselves. A wooden buffet table was set up nearby, laden with coolers and cardboard boxes. Several students got up to see what was in it, and get some food, but suddenly fell down, twitching. The rest noted several metal poles standing around the table, labeled clearly "invisible student fence."

"If any of you want to eat today, you will orderly line up and come up one at a time to get your food!" Sango barked. "Because of you, I'm missing the all-you-can-eat buffet special that the rest of your teachers are going to!"

After eating, it was back to work. Cait worked with Kat to fit and secure two door frames in the lobby, which currently was the only room anyone could agree on.

"We need to have at lest six elevators, and twelve floors!" Argued Zeppo. "We all need plenty of room! This way, everyone will have two rooms all to themselves!"

"Like that'll ever work. What we need is two large, wide stories with four sets of stairs. That will be plenty for all the students, as we don't know how to build elevators or many, many floors on top of each other." Kisa countered.

Cait nervously inquired "So what are we going to build if you don't agree on something? Kisa's made more sense, but I like the sound of Zeppo's building, though it is a bit improbable... let's just flip a coin! Kisa, tails you lose. Zeppo, heads I win. OK?" They both nodded. Cait produced a penny, and proceeded to flip it. "Oh, looks like heads! Sorry, guys, I win."

Kisa and Zeppo looked at each other. "How did that flipping thing work again?"


Cait pulled out her plan for the building.

******

******

"That's it! A little to the left for the second spiral staircase, though!" Cait shouted orders to the students building, while designing plans for the third and fourth floors on a table she had set up. "This is going to be the best building, especially since the school is paying for the costs of materials! Should I make the steps marble with brass railings, or carpeted with crystal?"

The students took shifts between construction and leisure. Someone had bribed Sango to leave them alone, and she was off with the rest of the staff at a bowling alley. Since there were no classes (they had been postponed until further notice) they could goof off all day while the students worked on a new dorm room for them all.

The two-story building was beginning to take shape. It was more wide the tall, and the concrete blocks were being currently being covered with marble coating. Columns were placed around the edges of the steps leading up to the front double-doors.

Cait wondered to herself "How did we build this?"

Kisa pulled out her copy of "Putting together big mansions and dorms 4 dummies" as she tested out the stair case's hard wood banister. "This says we should apply three layers of varnish, not two. Make sure it's in hard enough to stay, also."

After taking a shift on laying bricks for the second story, Cait put up wall paper until it was time for 8:00 break. Everyone was so tired from working all afternoon, that they forgot the teacher had to come back and check on them before they went to bed.


"WOW!" a visibly shocked Kagome exclaimed, looking at the partially completed marble dormitory. "I want to live here! Good job, students!"

"I couldn't have believed they could have made anything worth living in, but it turns out I'm wrong." Kikyo looked unkindly at the students. "Well, it's better than anything I could have made... I guess it's an satisfactory dormitory.."

Not everyone was as enthusiastic about it as Kagome and Kikyo were. (Well, Kagome at least)

"YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE YOU BUILT THIS... this dwelling... in one afternoon?!" An irritated Ataru was gaping up at the gigantic partially completed marble structure. "I demand we have a staff meeting!" The entire faculty huddled together, muttering furiously. After almost half an hour, Kaede called attention to her and proceeded to speak to the students.

"The faculty of the Official Fanfiction University of Rumiko Takahashi has deemed this building unacceptable for a student dormitory."

Cait gasped. "No way!" she blurted out "Not after all the work we did on it!"

Kaede glared at her. "Do not interrupt. As I was about to tell you, we will make sure your building does not *ahem* go to waste. Once you finish it, we will use it as a new dining hall and theater. Several students nodded their approval, saying things like 'That sounds ok...'

"However." Kaede continued once more. "It will be a staff building. Yes, that means..."

"NO STUDENTS ALLOWED!! HAHA!" Ranma was skipping everywhere, doing a happy dance. "Finally! Some peace of mind!!!!"

"Pigtailed goddess! I lo--" *pound* *kick*

"RANMAA!" Swarms of girls from the audience were rushing forward to him.

"AAAGH!" Ranma started running, with about 50 girls following in rapid pursuit.

Kaede sighed, annoyed by being disturbed once again. Motioning to the students to follow her, she led them away from the commotion until they were behind the half-done building.


"You will have only one class a day while you are building your new dormitory. Today is Myoga's class. It is 'Why you shouldn't just use Spell Checker/Grammar Correction/Thesaurus to make your writing good instead of proofreading.' Good luck." with that, Kaede left them sitting on the ground, and Myoga popped up out of no where.

"Welcome, students, to 'Why you shouldn't just use Spell Checker/Grammar Correction/Thesaurus to make your writing good instead of proofreading.' class. Where shall we start? I am sure you are all tired from constructing the staff's new lounge and bar, but you must compose your self for class." More students moaned, while Myoga ignored them.

"Shall I give you an example? Yes, that would be good, considering how tired you all are." Myoga popped a chalk board out of no where, and proceeded to write a paragraph on it. "There. A paragraph full of errors I'm sure." On the board was written the following paragraph:


One day in Nerima, a strtanger was wakling to the tendo dojo. it was a prety yong Girl wth purpel hair and a long dres. she nocked on he doar and soun tendo ansered. 'why... i'ts Riko1! COme in, Come in rIko. rAnma hass ben ecpecting yuo."" riko smild and wnt in to were evryone was sittng ni hte dojo and sid hi t htem. This is Riko, she si also ranmas' finace and wi'll be styng her fore a wile. akanee, yuo are no lnger ranm's finace. aKAne ran away n teras wile ranma was entrancd in his new gilr's beautie.


"As you can see," Myoga cleared his throat while the class stared at the board, wondering how someone can write something that bad with so many errors-was it possible? "Full of errors. But, what if, instead of proofreading, the author instead just used Spell Check, Grammar Correction, and the Thesaurus? Let's see." Myoga typed the paragraph up in Microsoft WordPerfect, and then clicked one after another, Spell Checker, Grammatik, and Thesaurus.

A/N- Using WordPerfect Spell Check and Grammatik, this is what I got:


One day in Nerita, a strangler was walling to the tends the dodos. It was a piety yong Girl with purple hair and a long dreg. She necked on hate Doran and soon tended angered. 'Why . . . I's Rito1! COMES in, COMES in Rito. Rama mass ben expecting Yup."" Rico smelled and want into where everyone was siting an a Ni hate dodo and sided hi t haem. This is Rico, she si also Rama' finances and ill is stung her fore a wile. Achaean, some yaps are no lager the ram's finance. Achaean ran away n Texas wile Rama was entrained in his new gill's beauties.


The class was gaping at the passage when Myoga spoke again. "It turns out even worse if the author tries to sound smart and uses Thesaurus for big words they don't understand."


One era in Nerita, a throttler was partitioning to the cultivates the dodos. It was a devout yong Girl thanks to purple whisker and a prolong dreg. She necked on abominate Doran and momentarily minister to angered. 'Why . . . I's Rito1! MARCHES in, PROGRESSES in Rito. Rama accumulation ben requiring Yup."" Rico whiffed and neediness into whereabouts one and all was locating an a Ni abhorrence dodo and sheathed hi t haem. This is Rico, she si to boot Rama' subsidizes and inauspiciously is inflamed her fore a wile. Achaean, approximately squeals are no lager the ram's funds Achaean administrated aside n Texas maneuver Rama subsisted entrained in his innovative gill's distinction.


"Holy crap..." Cait murmured.

Myoga nodded. "Have I convinced you that proofreading is the way?" The students nodded. "Spell Checker and Grammar Correction and Thesaurus are useful, but if used without caution, can lead to disaster. Please, when you use them, look at the choice selected before clicking replace. Thank you. You may go now." Myoga and his chalk board and his computer disappeared into nowhere.

Cait and her friends went back to the tents they were camping out in to go to sleep. Cait was sharing one with Kisa, Kat, and Lenore. After they shut off the lights, Shinobu ordered everyone to go to sleep. Cait thought about the day they had just finished, and the half finished building nearby. She smiled sneakily as she fell asleep.

Did the staff seriously think they would make the building half as nice, now that they knew it wasn't for them?


*****