InuYasha Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ When then boys are away ❯ when the boys are away ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
When the boys are away . . .

I do not own any of the characters in this story . . .

A Kagome and Akane adventure . . .

Summary . . . Kagome, at her first archery tournament, and Akane, who has been drafted into the archery club, meet and have an adventure. Somebody gets kidnaped . . .

Chapter 1


Furinkan high near the girls locker room . . .


"Get the Freak!" "Pervert!" "Dirty Old Man!" The girls of Furinkan are chasing Happousai again.

But this time . . .

"Argghh . . . " Tripping on one of the weapons that missed him, a girl falls down. She hits the ground hard, twisting her ankle and wrist trying to stop her fall as she lands. "Ouch . . . "

Akane and a few other girls stop and help her. "You, ok?"

"My wrist, my ankle . . . " She moans.

"Let's get her to the nurse."

"Happousai . . . " Akane growls out as she easily picks up the girl.

Later at the nurses room . . .

"Well, she's got a twisted ankle and a sprained wrist, some scraps on her knees and elbows. Nothing serious, but it'll be a couple of weeks on crutches and having her wrist wrapped." The nurse says to the waiting girls, including Akane.

"OH! That's bad . . . " One of the girls says.

"Akane! You've got to help!" another girl begs her.

"Help?" Akane asks.

"She's the captain of the Archery club and there's a tournament this weekend! We need somebody to replace her!" the girl replies, excitedly.

"Yeah, Akane can use a bow and she'll be great at it!" Another girl says to the group in general.

"Yeah, Akane would be great!"

Akane, grimaces, she can see she's not going to have much choice here. She sighs, and thinks, 'It was Happousai's fault and he is a, a, I'm not going to call him a guest in our house, but, this is somehow, I'm sure it's my fault too, so . . . '

"Ok, girls. I'll do it." She says with resignation in her voice.

"Yeah!" the girls yell.

'Besides, Ranma and his father are off chasing another, probably fake, cure and it is boring now. Probably the reason Happousai was here anyway, to relieve his boredom.' Akane thinks.


By the well in the feudal time . . .

"Inu-yasha, please understand, I'm trying to help and I need to spend some extra time on my side of the well . . . " Kagome begs with the beginning of tears in her eyes.

"No, Wench. Three days is it." Inu-yasha growls out.

"Inu-yasha. I've joined the archery club, so I can get better. And they are participating in an archery tournament this weekend. I need to attend, please, Inu-yasha." She begs.

"NO. You can't stay that long."

"Inu-yasha . . . please. I don't want to use the word . . . but, I would have thought you would have liked me getting better with the bow." Kagome finishes with tears in her eyes.

Inu-yasha's face twists, she's got a reason that he's finding hard to refuse, and he's having to think about an excuse to deny her.

"Please, Inu-yasha, I promise I'll be back right after the tournament." She wipes the tears from her eyes.

"Feh. Do what you will." Inu-yasha turns around to walks off.

Sigh . . . 'I wish I knew what goes through his mind sometimes . . . ' Kagome thinks as she jumps down the well.


The day of the tournament . . .

Author's note: I will be using Olympic rules, not traditional Japanese rules. And I will be using them only as basis for the structure of the story. If I change or make a mistake with the rules, it is to improve the enjoyment of the story. I am not trying to be totally exact on the rules.

I'm doing this for a couple of reasons, but the main reasons, I could find rules for Olympic contests, but what I could find on traditional Japanese contests, were somewhat vague. The rules are 64 place single elimination tournament. (64 start, 32 next round, then 16, then 8, then 4 and finally 2) Best score after a number of arrows win. The number of arrows varies depending on the round. Women use 15kg pull bows.

The tournament is being held an indoor stadium, so there are bleachers with fans sitting in them. The contestants will wear a traditional white Gi.

"First Tournament?" a girl asks Kagome as she looks around.

"Yes. I just joined the archery club." Kagome replies.

"Good, I'll help you." And Kagome and the girl talk about the rules and what normally happens.

Kagome shoots a few practice arrows. 'This bow is weaker than the one I use on the other side of the well. But, that's probably a good thing. I need to learn more about trajectories, wind allowances (not that I'll learn that indoors), and a stronger bow, isn't as affected by that.' She thinks as she practices.

She's beginning to get comfortable, when a disturbance attracts her attention. A young woman, a year or two older than her, has entered the arena. One of the bleacher sections starts to chant and wave signs. They shout, "Akane!" and the signs say "GO AKANE!"

She waves, somewhat slowly at them. A tall, thin young man wearing very traditional clothes, is leading the cheers. Once she appears to acknowledge him, the young man charges her, pulling out a huge bouquet of red roses as he runs, and he yells, "My Love, My Akane!"

As he is about to engulf her in a hug, Kagome sees the young man suddenly fly many meters in the air and land, heavily, against the wall. "Kuno! Stop it!" the young woman yells as she lowers her fist.

Kuno gets up, and he says, "that did not hurt." He staggers a bit, but then goes over to the judges pulling, out of somewhere, a huge bowcase.

"Hi! I"m Tendo Akane. Sorry about that." Akane says as she approaches Kagome. "It looks like we'll be shooting next to other." She goes over to position next to Kagome's, but not on the side of where Kagome's competitor is standing.

"Hi! I"m Higurashi Kagome. Yes, Although, it doesn't look like well shot against each other." Kagome says.
"Nope, you two girls, unless for some odd reason you reach the finals, you two will not meet in the brackets." A passing judge says.

"Good, then, we can talk and not have to worry about shooting against each other, since there's no way I'm going to make it to the final." Kagome says smiling.

They are about to start talking, but Kuno and several judges come over. They start arguing and yelling about what bow Akane will use.

Kagome is trying to follow along but, her three friends come up and start talking to her. "Kagome, do you know who that is?" Eri aks.

"Yes, her name is Tendo Akane. What's so special?" she points to the arguing crowd.

"Yes, from Furinkan High. Kagome." Ayumi says. Kagome gets a puzzled look on her face.

"Furinkan! Kagome, I know you've been absent a lot, but, you have to have heard about all the fights and damage there." Yuka says with expiration in her voice.

'Furinkan, hmmm . . . Now I remember. The last time I talked with my math teacher about my grades, he warned me, unless I shape up, I could be sent there . . . ' Kagome thinks as she remembers.

"You mean, she's . . . " Kagome says to her friends.

"Yes, she's one of those martial artists you hear about." Eri says.

"Yeah, I'm not too sure which stories are real or not, but she's involved." Yuka says.

"SO, Kagome, don't get on her bad side, who knows what might happen . . . " As Ayumi says this . . . a yell and the sound of Akane's fist uppercutting Kuno's jaw occur. Kuno flies out of the crowd around Akane and lands in front of the Furinkan bleachers.

"You . . . you . . . Idiot! I wanted this . . . " Akane pushes her way through the crowd, grabs up a random bow and a couple of arrows and shots them at Kuno. They hit the sleeves of the clothes, pinning him against the bleaches. "Stay there! Don't interfere any more!" Akane yells as she hands the bow back to the stunned girl she took it from.

Kagome and her friends exchange glances . . .

Akane returns to her spot carrying a new bow. It is much larger and just looking at it, it is obvious that it is much more powerful than any of the other bows.

"That . . . Kuno. I really wish he'd leave me alone." She mumbles under her breath, squeezing her fists, trying to get the anger down. She looks around and sees the expressions on Kagome and her friends faces.

Akane sighs, and she says, "I'm sorry, but Kuno has used his influence to alter the rules. I have to use this bow." She holds up and shakes it. "And I had hoped . . . " she shakes her head. Sigh. "It's not going to be fair to everyone else, but. Once he's used his families' influence . . . "

There is a delay as the judges and the team mangers get together to talk and argue about Kuno and his influence. After a short, but loud discussion, Akane's bow is approved and she will use it.

While this is going on, Nabiki approaches Kagome's three friends. "I noticed that you three are friends with her." She is pointing at Kagome, who is standing several meters away getting ready to begin to shoot her first arrows. "Want to bet on her matches?"

They look at each other, and "Well, I suppose. She is our friend and we should support her . . . " Ayumi says.

Nabiki smiles, and thinks, 'more suckers, I mean this is that Higurashi's girls first tournament, she'll lose the first time. I've never heard about her.'

After that, the tournament starts. In between rounds, Kagome and Akane do start to talk and begin to make friends with each other.

Kagome points out and waves to her mother, grandfather and little brother, who are watching. "My family, see"

Akane points out her father, and two sisters, who are here as well. "Mine's there."

"What's up with that Kuno person?" Kagome asks.

Sigh, "He's an idiot, a major idiot. He wants to take me on dates and such." Akane says with disgust in her voice.

"But the roses?"

"Oh, he always has them, and other gifts."

'That doesn't sound that bad, I mean, what would I give for Inu-yasha to hand me some roses and ask me to go out on a nice date.' Kagome thinks.

"Why then are you refusing them? I mean, if my . . . a friend of mine would do that, I'd be happy." Kagome asks.

"He just will not take 'no' for an answer. I've told him over and over again. I've pounded him into the ground. I don't know how many times and still" That last word in a very angry tone. " He doesn't listen." Akane finishes with an angry expression on her face.
Kagome looks for Kuno and finds him on the bleachers. He's apparently yelling at one of the students sitting there for not cheering Akane's name loud enough. 'Hmm, like Miroku, perhaps, though, why is she getting that upset. You say no, or slap him and he goes away, right? Oh, well, if he's like that, then I'd take Miroku over this Kuno. Besides, he does seem to be an idiot. We just treat people differently, I suppose.' Kagome thinks as she turns to look at Akane.

'I really need to calm down, if I'm going to shoot well, perhaps, if I change the subject, she did seem a bit hesitant about that friend.' Akane thinks.

Akane, after a short pause, says, "What about you, Kagome, do you have a boyfriend?"

Kagome pales, 'I can't talk about Inu-yasha . . . ' she thinks in a small panic.

Kagome looks around, Hojo's supposed to be here, but she doesn't see him, so she says, "Well, I do have, I suppose. His name's Hojo."

"Is he here?"

"I don't see him."

"Is he a good boyfriend? I mean does he take you on nice quiet dates. No funny business, I mean." Akane asks with a slight smile. She can see Kagome beginning to sweat.

"Oh, Hojo? Yes, the few dates we've been on he has been the perfect gentleman." Kagome says with a slight blush.

'He sounds like a nice guy. What I would give for a nice quiet date with Ranma . . . ' Akane thinks, then she asks in a soft growl. "No extra girlfriends or finances?"

"Huh? Hojo? You're kidding. Nothing like that." Kagome replies in surprise. 'What an odd question . . . ' she thinks.

Kagome, sighs, looks around one last time, still no Hojo and her three friends are busy talking with Nabiki. She says in a soft voice, so just Akane can hear. "He's just a very boring guy, ok. I keep wishing he'd find someone else to bore to death."

"Oh. I see." Akane says. 'I've meet guys like that. Sigh. It would be boring and I'd walk all over him. He'd just agree to whatever I say. And boring . . . I've never liked boring...'

"Girls. Stop Talking. The next match is starting." One of the judges announces.

"Sorry, sir." "Sorry, sir." they bow to him.

Kagome makes it to the quarter-final round of eight, but loses in a close match.

"Rats, Eri, why did you tell that Nabiki to let our winnings ride. We could have walked away with a lot money."

"Yeah, from the stories I've heard, that's a hard thing to do with her." Yuka adds.

"Come on girls, we have to support Kagome. And she doing a lot better than anyone thought she'd do." Eri explains.

'Yes, I wonder where she got the time to practice, I mean with her illnesses and such.' Eri thinks as the three friends argue among themselves.

'I almost lost a big one, there. If I hadn't conned that girl into letting their winnings' ride . . . I've got to recheck my sources. They never said anything about this Higurashi girl. She's good, very good and somehow that slipped by.' Nabiki thinks as she watches Kagome. 'And, those sources are going to pay for being wrong . . . '

Once Kagome loses, she can look around and pay closer attention to the techniques of the other archers.

But, as she looks around, an old man in a wheelchair, being pushed by a large, muscular man, catches her attention for a second, but she dismisses the dark forbidding feeling she has when she looks at him. 'This is the modern age and it's the middle of the afternoon, in a crowded building, not the other side of the well. I'm just tried from all the arrows I've shot.' She thinks as she looks past them.

'I am learning by coming here.' She thinks. 'Many of the girls know more about how to use a bow than I do and watching them is educational. Even though, I did much better than I thought I would . . . '

After she drops out of the tournament, Kagome asks to try out Akane's bow. Akane hands it over and Kagome tries to use it.

'The bow I've used in this tournament is half, maybe only a third, as powerful as the one I normally use. This, on the other hand, is at least three times as powerful as what I use on the other side of the well.' She thinks as she pulls on the bowstring.

She hands it back to Akane, "Too powerful for me, I'm afraid."

"Yes, though, you did better with it than I thought you would." Akane replies as she takes back the bow.

The captain of Kagome's team makes it wins her quarter-final round, but loses the semifinal to Akane.

Kagome concentrates on Akane's technique as Akane wins her semifinal round. 'That bow and her strength . . . there's no technique, just raw power. I never thought I'd meet any regular human that would come close to Sango's strength in my time. But . . . I wonder what a sparing match between the two of them would be like . . . ' she thinks.

Akane makes it to the final round and meets the Kolkhoz highschool captain.

The Kolkhoz captain is a master with the bow. The zen saying about a warrior being one with your weapon fits her perfectly.

Akane, on the hand, well . . . Her powerful bow allows her to ignore any subtly and just shoot arrows as straight as a laser beam.

The Kolkhoz captain fires her last arrow and for Akane too win, she'll need to hit the bulls' eye.

Akane pulls back on the bowstring, her face twisted as she concentrates on the target, pulls the string back, back passed her ear, back . . .

"Crack!" Suddenly Akane is holding pieces of wood in her hands. She's broken the bow . . .

"I've got to win! Get me another bow! I'm not going to let Ranma make fun of me for coming in second!" she yells in frustration as she throws the broken bow down.

There is a scramble around Akane as people hunt for a bow. Kagome picks up hers and is about to hand it to her, when . . .

Two big meaty hands grab her and throw her against a wheelchair. "Huh! What you are" Thump! Kagome collapses unconscious over the chair. The large man that she saw earlier has grabbed her and knocked her out.

"What!" "Stop that!" "Who do you think you are?!" "Security!" the people around Kagome scream.

'What! A kidnaping! And . . . I'm not being kidnaped, how odd . . . ' Akane thinks as she pushes her way to front of the crowd.

"OK, Idiot! Put my friend down and I will not hurt you!" Akane yells as she goes into her standard attack position.

The crowds, including the security guards, quickly move away from the wheelchair, the large man and Akane.

Akane and the large man start to fight. He is skilled. But, it's his much greater reach causes the most problems for Akane. (Think Ranma vs. Mouse, the first time) But after a couple of exchanges, Akane thinks, 'I'll let him hit me and get under his guard that way. I can take it. He's not that strong. And once I'm close . . . ' she smiles nastily.
But while the two of them are fighting, the old man in the wheelchair has removed the necklace from Kagome. He places the shard on his forehead and as he does that, things change . . .

The wheelchair, it is one of the new futuristic looking ones with plenty of electronics, changes shape. It moves around him, like body armor. It changes into some sort of mecha-armor as it grows around him. The mecha looks similar to some of the pictures from the old american Aliens movies, but more mechanical in appearance.

"Got You!" Akane's fist hits the large man in the pit of his stomach. His body folds over her fist and collapses onto the ground, spewing vomit as he falls unconscious.

Akane smiles, the black eye she'll have tomorrow is a small price to pay for winning, and she looks for Kagome.

By this time, the mecha is standing up, with Kagome slung over one shoulder. It is starting to move away.

"Stop right there! You! I do not know what going on, but! I'm going to stop you!" Akane yells as she jumps over the mecha and lands in front of him. She quickly goes into her attack position.

She attacks, but the mecha sweeps with his fist and knocks her into the wall. Akane falls to the ground unconscious.


End chap 1

Writing combat scenes is not my strength... but hopefully I'm getting the idea across.

Reviews and/or comments would be appreciated.

on my profile page, I have a list of story ideas, that I'm thinking about doing. Getting additional opinions on which stories to do would be appreciated.

Ch 2 might take a couple of weeks, before I post it, but we'll see.


thank you for reading
jeff shelton