InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Enter the Witch and the Miko ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Randi: Thanks for dropping me a line! It's encouraging to get nice feedback. Of course, constructive criticism is also accepted. Here's the next chapter!
 
~*~
 
As they approached Koga's lair, Inuyasha was silent again, reliving Kikyo's death, probably both of them. Kagome decided to leave him alone, and rode Kirara with Sango. Miroku was fascinated by her bicycle, and was having the time of his life trying to learn to ride it. “Kagome?” asked Sango, “do you really think that Koga will hand over the shards? After all, he could make his pack the strongest one in the area with just one, and he has two.”
 
“He already offered them to me earlier. I didn't want to take them because he needed them more than we did at the time. Look, there it is.”
 
The guard on duty recognized Kagome and called, “Sister Kagome, you've returned!”
 
Sango looked at Kagome strangely. “They only call me that because Koga claimed me as his `woman'. I'm not really related to them. Really.”
 
Kirara stopped, and Sango and Kagome got off. They all looked toward the cave entrance where Koga was coming to meet them. “Kagome,” he called, ignoring the rest of them, “so good of you to come again.”
 
“Koga, we need the Shikon shards in your legs. We're sort of in a hurry. I'm sorry, but we can't stay and chat.”
 
“Oh, no, that won't do. Stay, please, be my guests. And, Kagome, could you come with me for a second?”
 
“Sure,” she responded, ignoring the death glares sent their way by Inuyasha.
 
As the rest of the group was herded into the den, Koga and Kagome walked along the bank of the river. The waterfall sent a mist around them, cooling the hot air.
 
“Kagome, I have something to tell you,” Koga said.
 
“Koga, you know I can't stay with you,” began Kagome, but Koga interrupted her.
 
“It isn't about that. Well, it is, but I'm not asking you to stay.”
 
That threw Kagome off. “What?!”
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome. Ayame came, and I did promise her that I would be her mate. I wanted to stay with you, and there will always be a place for you in my heart. However, her pack and mine combined is an unbeatable force. She doesn't want me to give up the Jewel shards; she wants at least one for herself, but I still have both. I want you to have them, as an apology. I wanted to spend my life with you, but—”
 
“I understand, Koga. But I don't want you to get in trouble with your new mate because of me.”
 
“Don't worry about me. I'll be all right, just take the shards now and leave in the morning before she's up.”
 
“When does she normally get up? We've just fought Naraku, and we're still not fully recovered.”
 
“Normally, she doesn't get up until six in the morning.”
 
Kagome's jaw dropped. “Six in the morning!!!!! We can't get up that early! Even if I could, I know that Shippo can't, I'm not sure about Kohaku, and I know for a fact that Miroku and Sango are grouchy at eight in the morning, so I'm pretty sure that they won't be very happy to sneak out at four or five in the morning!”
 
“Don't worry. I think I can distract her so she won't be getting up earlier than at least noon.” He grinned at her. She sweat dropped, and backed up a few paces.
 
“Um, okay, you do that. I guess I won't be seeing you tomorrow morning, then.”
 
He held out his hand, and when she held out hers, he dropped his jewel fragments into it. “These are yours now.”
 
“Thank you, Koga, and I wish you happiness in your marriage. Do you think she'll forgive you for giving these to me?”
 
“She will eventually.” He gave that grin again, and she sweatdropped again. “Let's get back to the others, and let Dog-Breath know you're okay.”
 
“Oh, Koga,” she said. “Don't be hard on him. You remember that woman with Naraku, the one who wanted to kill him?”
 
“Which one?”
 
“The miko, the one Inuyasha had loved 50 years ago.”
 
“Yes, why?”
 
“She was killed by Naraku, and he's torn up about it. Please leave him alone.”
 
“Only for you, Kagome.”
 
They rejoined the rest of her group, and Inuyasha stayed by her side from that point on. They ate dinner with the wolves; Kagome made sure that the wolves cooked the food given to the humans, a foreign concept to the wolves (“It ruins the flavor of the meat, though.”). Kagome stayed on Koga's left side, while Ayame was on his right. Ayame kept throwing jealous glares at Kagome, because that was the human-HUMAN- that HER Koga had chosen over her only a little while ago.
 
After dinner, they were shown their guest caves. Sango, Kagome, Kirara, and Shippo would share a lair, while Inuyasha, Miroku, and Kohaku shared another one. After the guide left, Kagome told them that they needed to be out of the wolves' den by noon at latest. After agreeing to be out by eight the next morning, they said good night, and went to their respective rooms.
 
The next morning, they packed their things, said good-bye to the guard on duty, and ran before Ayame's wrath could reach them when she woke. They reached their village that night, since they didn't stop running all day. Kagome and Shippo had to ride on Inuyasha's back while he carried her bike, and Miroku, Sango, and Kohaku rode Kirara.
When they arrived back at the village, they all sort-of fell through the door of Kaede's hut, waking her. “Well, it seems that ye survived the battle with Naraku. And,” she looked at Kohaku, “ye picked up another companion.”
 
“This is Kohaku, Sango's younger brother. He was under Naraku's control. Which brings me to the good news we have. We destroyed Naraku, finally,” said Miroku tiredly.
 
“Are ye sure? Ye've thought the same before, and still he lived.”
 
This time I'm positive. His heart was destroyed by Kagome, and,” he paused for a moment before adding “my Wind Tunnel is gone.”
 
Everyone congratulated him. Miroku himself looked so happy that he could dance if he wasn't falling over from exhaustion. When things began to quiet down, Kagome was hit with a strong need to be with her family. I need to be with them. I don't know why, but I have to go home! “I need to go home,” she announced and stumbled toward the door.
 
“Are ye not exhausted, child?” asked a concerned Kaede. “Ye can return home tomorrow.”
 
“I need to be with them. Besides, I need to be clean! I'll come back tomorrow; I just have to be with my family right now.”
 
“Very well. Do ye need help getting to the Bone Eater's Well?”
 
“No, I can make it. Good night, everyone.”
 
After murmurs of “Good night, Kagome” were given in varying degrees of sleepiness, she began the trek to Inuyasha's Forest and the Bone Eater's Well. She jumped down, and was surrounded by the familiar purple glow. When the glow faded, she started to climb out of the well. It took five tries, but she finally succeeded in reaching the top. Hearing the patter on the roof of the well house, she sighed. Looks like I'm going to be wet and tired. How lovely. She used the walls to support her and pulled them to move forward. Glancing outside, she shuddered. It looks like a flash flood, except we live on top of a hill, and can't get swamped. She threw herself out the door, and fell on her face. Great. Just great. Now I really need a bath.
 
She knew she was near the giant Goshinboku, so she reached for one of its roots to pull herself up. Instead of a root, however, she found an arm. Surprised, she jerked her head up. She saw before her a girl about her age. She was badly injured, but she was still breathing. What happened to this person? she thought in concern. I can't leave her out here. She needs help. Kagome didn't want to hurt the girl, but if she didn't yank her along, she wouldn't be able to make it to the house.
 
It was her younger brother Sota who finally got them both in. He happened to look out the window and see them when a flash of lightening lit up the whole area. It was dumb luck; the Goshinboku was not near the house, and he had to be near the back window to see it. He yelled for their mom and grandpa to get Kagome and “a strange person”. Not expecting Kagome home so soon, they ran out and carefully took both girls inside.
 
“Thanks Mom, Grandpa,” said Kagome wearily. “I don't know how I could have gotten her in here by myself.”
 
“It's all right, dear,” her mom answered. “What happened? Normally you don't come home until more time has passed. Did something happen? And who is this?”
 
“That's right! I want to know who stays in this house, whether they're from the present or the Feudal Era!” said her grandpa forcefully.
 
“I don't know who she is,” answered Kagome, looking at the unconscious person lying across some wooden chairs. “I found her when I came out of the Bone Eater's Well. She was at the base of the Goshinboku. That's all I know.”
 
“Well,” her mom said briskly, “she needs to be washed, and it looks like she's hurt. Kagome, you wash upstairs, and I'll bathe her down here. Grandpa, do you think you could prepare a guest room for her?”
 
“Wait a minute, dear,” said Grandpa. “What if she's a demon? I don't want any strange demon in the house! But it's not safe to turn her loose, either. I must ward the room she'll be staying in, and I must give you charms to ward off her evil!”
 
“Oh please, Grandpa,” Kagome said crossly while rolling her eyes. “She doesn't have a demonic aura. She's not a demon.” Besides, your charms and ofudas don't even work.
Leaving a fuming Grandpa behind, Kagome went to soak herself, and her mom to wash the injured stranger. As Kagome sank into the tub after washing most of the grime and blood off with a quick shower, she sighed. This is Heaven. I might as well enjoy it now, since I won't be able to tomorrow. Oh! I need to restock on chocolate and ramen noodles. As the water began to cool, she got out, prepared to go to sleep, and fell onto the bed. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she was dead to the world.
 
~*~