InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Enter the Witch and the Miko ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

New chapter! I don't have a lot to say today, so I'll just go right to the chapter.
 
~*~
 
Robin flopped onto her bed. Why me? This girl has a combination that I've never heard of. But I can't let Solomon get to her. I'll die before I allow them to have her! She glared at the candle, and it burst into flames. Feeling much better, she continued to think about how she was going to teach her “pupil”. How do I do this? Maybe Nagira knows. I know it's dangerous, but I need some advice. She picked up her phone and dialed his cell phone number. She heard it ring a few times, then he picked it up.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Nagira! It's me, Robin.”
 
“Oh, hello, Robin.”
 
“I have a problem, can you help me?”
 
“Sure. But first, where are you?”
 
“I thought that you didn't want me to say over the phone because it was being bugged.”
 
“Yeah, but this is not my house phone. They can't bug it.”
 
“Yes, Nagira, they can. You don't know Michael like I do. He'll do the impossible just to prove that he can.”
 
“Just trust me, Robin. There is no bug on this phone. Now where are you?”
 
This set off the danger alarm in Robin's head. “Nagira, I think there is. As much as I trust you, I'm going with my experience for this one.”
 
“All right, then, since you won't tell me where you are, what's your problem? I can't do much, since they're keeping tabs on me, but I'll try to help.”
 
“Well, I think Solomon's catching up to me. I haven't seen them, but I feel them. What should I do?” she lied.
 
“Stay where you are. Chances are that they'll pass you by.” Now she knew he wasn't on her side anymore. Before now, he would have said that she should move to a new location, and order her to not tell anyone.
 
“Nagira, I'm in a bit of a spot. I don't know where I am. I left Japan, so I'm not familiar with anything around here.”
 
“It'll be fine, Robin. I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I know you'll be fine.” Yep, definitely lying.
 
“Thanks for talking. It's nice to hear a familiar voice in the middle of strangers.”
“Anytime. Call me back, okay?”
 
“I'll try. I don't know if I can, since I can't talk very long; long distance, you know.”
 
“Your phone isn't affected by long distance calls.”
 
“I lost it when I ran for it. I meant to keep it, I really did, but it slipped somehow.”
 
“Okay, well, it's in the middle of the night here, so I have to say good night.”
 
“Good night, Nagira, even though it's ten o'clock in the morning here.”
 
She hung up and stared at her wall dumbly. They got him. Amon wouldn't let them do anything to him, so they must have convinced him that I'm a witch. Deeply saddened, she decided to sleep it off.
 
When she got up that morning, she started doing her chores mechanically. She had already eaten breakfast and was starting to sweep up the inside of some the buildings that she was allowed in when Kagome came running towards her.
 
Panting, she asked between gasps, “Are we going to start today?”
 
“If that is what you want,” Robin replied, still sweeping. “I still have chores to do, but I can talk you through what you have to do if you're willing to move when I have to clean a different place.”
 
Kagome nodded her head vigorously. “Okay. Sit down.” Kagome sat down. “Now you have to find your center. If you don't stabilize yourself, then you have no control over your power, and it will have terrible results.”
 
“What does a center look like?”
 
“It should just be a purple fire inside you. It might take a while to find it, so take your time.”
 
It did take a while. They had to move through three buildings before she found it. “Hey, Robin, I think I found my center! It's exactly like you described it.”
 
“That's good. That's half the battle. Every time you need that power, picture that fire, and that will summon it. Eventually you won't even have to think about it; it will happed naturally.”
 
“You sure do know a lot about these powers.”
 
“Like I said, I studied witches more than they knew. I probably know more about them than anyone else does.”
 
“By the way, who exactly are `they'?”
 
“`They' are Solomon. It's an organization that hunts and kills witches. The branch that was training me only wanted to catch them, not kill them. It was more humane that way.”
 
“Oh.” She was silent, then asked, “Now that I have my center, what's next?”
 
Robin thought for a moment, then said, “You need experience. For healing, try healing cuts and small injuries, then work towards the harder ones, like sickness and broken bones. I think if you combine your ghost- and healer- powers, you could heal someone on the brink of death, and bring them back to full health. This is only theory; I have no idea if it will really work.”
 
“So I need to use it. Okay, I can do that.”
 
Robin finished the final building and walked with Kagome outside. “That's really all I can do for you. There's only one thing left, and that's defensive. If you want a wall between you and some else, or you and a group of people, witches can make a kind of barrier that nothing can penetrate except special bullets made for that reason.”
 
They rounded a corner and saw Mrs. Higurashi going to greet a man coming up the long stairs to their home. Kagome froze when she saw her mother embrace the man and kiss him. “Who is THAT?” she hissed. “What is he doing with my mom?”
 
Robin looked at the man, but they were too far away for her to see any details. “I don't know. I've never seen him around here before.”
 
“I know for a FACT that she wasn't seeing anyone a month ago,” spat Kagome, her hackles up. “How could she get that far in one month?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi and the man were walking towards the house, and Robin could finally see what the man looked like. She felt like a bucket of ice water had been dumped on her head. Her eyes widened and she gasped. It's Kendal! Tai Kendal wasn't there the day she was marked as a witch, but he probably knew by now. “Kagome, I do know that man. He works for Solomon. I can't let him see me; he'll recognize me.”
 
“Okay, don't panic. Hide in my room and I'll tell mom that you were out for groceries. I'll find out if Sota and Grandpa know anything about this.”
 
Robin nodded and sprinted towards the back door. She ran up the stairs to Kagome's room and waited with bated breath for Kagome to come with the news.
 
~*~
 
So this guy works for Solomon, the one organization I have to avoid at all costs. Kagome ran towards the house after her mom and the man entered. She opened the door and her mother turned and said, “Kagome, I wanted you to meet someone special. This is Tai Kendal. He lives in England, but was visiting Japan because of business.”
 
“Hello, Kagome,” Tai said. “She's told me a lot about you. She's very proud of you, you know.”
 
“Oh, I see,” said Kagome faintly. This guy's from England? Robin said that Solomon branched out, so he must be from the one in England. “It's nice to meet you. I don't remember you. Did you meet after I went to the U. S.?”
 
“Kagome was on a school field trip to America. I told you that, right?”
 
“Yes, that's right. Did you have fun?”
 
Kagome answered, “Yes, it was fun and I learned things there.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi looked around and asked, “Where is everyone?”
 
“I don't know; I just got back.”
 
“Oh, drat, I wanted them to meet him.”
 
“It's fine, Misako,” Tai soothed her. “I can meet them later, can't I?”
 
“That's true,” she agreed.
 
“Um, Mom, I'm going upstairs to look for the others, okay?”
 
“Okay, sweetheart. If you find them, tell them I want them to meet someone.”
 
“Yes, Mom.”
 
Kagome charged up the stairs when she couldn't see them anymore. First she went to Sota's room, where she found him playing one of him video games.
 
“Sota, did you know mom was seeing someone?” she demanded.
 
“Yeah, she only met him a month ago, though,” he said, not taking his eyes off the screen.
 
“Do you know what he does for a living?”
 
“No, Mom never said, and I've never seen the guy.”
 
“Well, he's downstairs, and Mom wants you to meet him.”
 
Sighing dejectedly, he turned off the game and walked slowly out the door. “Do you know where Grandpa is?” she asked his back.
 
“No, I think he left for something.”
 
“Thanks, Sota,” she called. He waved a hand to let her know he heard her. She then went down a different hall where her room was. She opened the door and Robin leaped up and was in a defensive position before she saw who it was.
 
“Well, who was it?” asked Robin.
 
“His name is Tai Kendal from England. He came to Japan on business, and my mom's been seeing him for a month.”
 
“So I was right. Kendal came to the STN-J from England to see how the Japanese did things. His superiors wanted to see if using the Orbo was more efficient than plain bullets.”
 
“Wait, what is STN-J?” asked Kagome in confusion.
 
“That's what we call the Japanese branch of Solomon.”
 
“How do you know all this? Surely they don't tell all this to trainees, and not even to regular staff.”
 
“Like I said, I learned more than they knew. I didn't find out all that by myself, I had lots of help.”
 
Kagome felt like she was hiding something, but ignored it for the moment. After all, I'm not telling the truth about the Bone Eater's Well. I'll eventually find out. She just said, “I don't know if he's staying, but if he is, then you can share my room. We'll move your stuff, and I'll tell my mom.”
 
“Thank you, Kagome. We haven't even known each other for a day, and we're already in trouble.”
 
“Don't mention it. I don't want you to get caught, because even though you say you can't teach me any more than you have, I might come across a problem and you might know the answer.
 
“You probably don't want to go down to dinner, do you?” Robin shook her head. “Then I'll bring you some food. Just to be on the safe side, I'd move your stuff in here.”
 
“Okay,” replied Robin.
 
“I'll see you in a bit, then.”
 
She went down and saw her mom in the kitchen. “Hey, Mom, how long is he staying here?”
 
Her mom turned and said, “He's staying here for the rest of the time he's in Japan.” Seeing her daughter's look, she laughed and said, “No, it's not that long. He only has a few weeks left. But, I wanted to ask you and Sota something.”
 
Kagome warily asked, “What is it?”
 
“Well, I'll ask you since you're here, and I'll ask your brother tonight. Well, what do you think of Tai?”
 
This sounded like the start of a very awkward conversation. “Um, he seemed polite enough. Why?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi looked down. “He's asked us to move back to England with him.”
 
Kagome looked at her mother in shock. “Mom, you know I'm not going to move to England because of you boyfriend.”
 
“Now, Kagome,” said her mother uncomfortably, “he's not exactly a boyfriend.”
 
“Well, what else is he?” Kagome demanded, preparing for the worst.
 
“He's going to be your new father.” It was the worst.
 
“MOM! You've only known him for a month, and you're already marrying the guy? Aren't you rushing it just a LITTLE bit?”
 
“Kagome, he's a nice man, and I'm sure he'll be a good father. He's promised to marry me as soon as I want. I just wanted to see what you thought of him before I said yes. I know Sota likes him. They were getting along very well when I came in here to fix dinner, so I don't think he'll object.”
 
“What about Grandpa? He isn't home!”
 
“He came in soon after you went upstairs. He said that Tai was a nice man, and while he could never replace his son, he would accept him into the family.”
 
Kagome was speechless. “But Mom, how old is he?”
 
“He's thirty-eight. And don't say that's old or young, since I'm only thirty-seven.”
 
My mother is getting married. How is she going to react when I tell her I'm engaged myself? Instead, she asked, “What will happen to the shrine? We can't keep it if we move.”
 
She sighed and said, “We would have to sell it. Grandpa is quite attached to this place, but he can be convinced to sell it.”
 
Okay, that's going too far! “And what will I do? I wouldn't be able to go back to the Feudal Era.”
 
“Well, dear, we, your Grandpa and I, decided that you spend too much time there anyway. This will do you good, too. You need to spend more time here, and selling this place will keep you here in the present.”
 
“Mom, you can't do this. He seems to be a nice guy, but this is the first time I've met him, and if you sell this place, I will permanently stay in the Feudal Era.”
 
Her mother's demeanor hardened. “You will not, and you know it!”
 
She knows I won't. Geez, it's hard having a mother that knows you this well. Kagome glared at her mother, and said in a voice that would freeze ice, “I'll help you take the food to the table.”
 
She was silent throughout the meal. Tai tried to be nice, but since he was the reason that her mother was making them leave, she just stared at him coldly until he turned and spoke to another person. Surprisingly, Robin's name was never mentioned.
 
When she had finished all she was going to eat, she excused herself and went to the kitchen to steal some food for Robin. I can't believe they're basically engaged! What am I going to tell the others? What am I going to tell Inuyasha? I promised I wouldn't leave him, and I don't break promises. She knocked on the door and said quietly, “Robin? Can you open the door? My hands are full.”
 
The door opened, and Robin took some food from her and set it on the floor while Kagome slammed the door shut. Startled, Robin looked up and asked, “Was it that bad?”
 
Kagome then proceeded to tell Robin everything, omitting the Feudal Era part of the conversation.
 
Robin agreed with her completely. “It was too fast to know if it's love. How long is he staying, and are you going with him when he leaves?”
 
“He's staying for the rest of time he's here, and we're supposed to leave with him in two weeks.”
 
Robin lost her calm composure, and started packing her things as fast as she could. Her sudden flurry of activity confused Kagome. “What are you doing?” she asked.
 
“If he's staying here, then I can't. He's hunting me, and will either take me back the STN-J or kill me. I'd like to thank your mother for taking care of me, but I have to go.”
 
“Wait! You can't leave. What am I supposed to do?” wailed Kagome.
 
“That's right, you're a witch now.” Robin slapped her head. “It's not safe around here anymore. We have to leave. Right now.”
 
“Why do I have to leave?”
 
“He may not know you're a witch yet, but eventually he'll find out if you stay under the same roof as him.” She started muttering to herself while she paced. “Stupid, stupid, stupid…” she said under her breath over and over. “You knew they would eventually find you. Stupid, stupid, stupid…”
 
“You didn't know they would find you this soon, or even at all,” Kagome said, trying to get her out of her guilt. “You know what, I'll tell my mom that we're going on a trip for a while, and hopefully, they'll be gone.”
 
“I don't think that will work,” said Robin doubtfully. “Besides, don't you have to try and convince your mom to stay here and not sell the place?”
 
“Yes, but she won't sell it while we're gone. Trust me,” she added, seeing Robin's skeptical look. “I have to talk to her right now, but we'll leave tomorrow morning.”
 
Robin started to prepare a mat to stay on for the night while Kagome went to talk to her mom.
 
As usual, Mrs. Higurashi was found in the kitchen. She turned when she heard footsteps and saw Kagome.
 
“Is there something you needed?” she asked.
 
Kagome sat down and said, “Mom, you're jumping in too fast. You know we all need to get to know him before we live in the same house for the rest of our lives.”
 
“Kagome,” her mother sighed as she sat facing her daughter, “you don't understand how I feel about Tai. He's caring, loves children, and is willing to adopt you and Sota as his children. Sota doesn't mind; he thinks having Tai for a dad is a good thing. Why can't you see it that way?”
 
“Mom, even if I liked the guy, I would never call him `Dad'. I'm sorry, but I can't accept him just yet. I need more time. And another point against him is Robin.”
 
“What does Robin have to do with this?” Mrs. Higurashi asked in confusion.
 
“You know how she was shot when we found her?” Her mom nodded, so Kagome continued. “He works with the people that shot her. He wasn't there when she was shot, but if he was then he would have tried to kill her too.”
 
Shocked, Mrs. H stared at her daughter. “I don't know what to say!” she exclaimed. Kagome thought that she had finally convinced her mom to drop him, when Mrs. H kept talking. “I thought I raised you not to tell lies!”
 
Kagome's jaw dropped. “I'm not lying!” she shouted.
 
Mrs. H's face hardened. “I know you don't like him, but making up stories like that is unforgivable. I want you to apologize to him right now!”
 
“He didn't even hear me!”
 
“That doesn't matter. You apologize or--”
 
“Or you'll what?” Kagome interrupted her. “You'll ground me? I'm sorry, Mom, but I won't apologize for saying the truth. I don't like him, and if this is what it does to you, then I'll just stay away from now on. I'll stay in the Feudal Era, and there's not a single thing you can do about it!”
 
Her mom took a deep breath, trying to lessen the anger in her. It didn't work. She looked at Kagome and said slowly, each word hot with anger, “I have to go with him now. I don't have much choice.” Her hands were clenched into fists around her stomach. “We are now attached to each other by something.”
 
Suddenly it all clicked. Her mom's different aura, her not eating, and now this. “Mom,” she asked quietly, “how long have you been pregnant?”
 
She sighed and rubbed her still flat stomach. “It was after the second week. We had too much sake, and we woke up in his apartment. I went to the doctor, and he confirmed it. When Tai found out, he apologized, and later that week, he proposed. I wanted to wait for you to come home before I said anything. So you see why I have to marry him.”
 
“Mom, I see why you think you have to marry him. But what's wrong with him transferring here to work?”
 
“He doesn't want to leave his home behind, and I don't blame him. If he wants to us to move to his home, then I will.”
 
“And what about me? What if I don't want to live with your new husband?” Kagome knew that she sounded selfish, but if she went away, the Inuyasha would kill himself.
 
“He is going to be your new father, and I will follow my husband to the ends of the earth!”
 
What about me? You're trying to prevent me from being with MY husband-to-be. “I'm sorry, but I won't let you keep me away from the Feudal Era.” She turned to leave. Tossing over her shoulder, she called, “Oh, by the way, Robin and I are going on a little trip.” They both knew what that meant. “Don't expect us back anytime soon.”
 
“Kagome, don't you dare,” her mother warned, but it was too late. Her daughter had run up the stairs and was stuffing her backpack with Robin's help.
 
“I have to take everything this time,” she panted as she tried to stuff her books into the already overloaded bag. “I'm not coming back, so I might as well take everything.”
 
Robin looked at her in concern. “Are you sure you won't be coming back? They'll miss you, especially Sota.”
 
“He'll have a younger sibling soon enough.” She told Robin about the conversation, still omitting the well. Robin understood why Mrs. Higurashi was staying with him once she found out she was with his child.
 
They managed to stuff all of the portable stuff into the bag. They took one look at the heavier stuff, and shook their heads.
 
“Where are we going?” Robin wanted to know.
 
Kagome was thinking hard. I could take her to the Sengoku Jidai. I think that would be the best choice. Out loud, she said, “We're going to the well house.”
 
Robin shook her head and said, “I'm sorry, my hearing must have been gone for a second. I thought I heard you say we were going to the well house.”
 
“I did.”
 
Robin still looked confused, but didn't say anything. She followed Kagome to the well house and looked at her expectantly. “Now what?” she asked.
 
“Now we jump.”
 
“Jump? Down the well?” Her tone was skeptical.
 
“Just trust me, jump.”
 
“Okay.” Together they jumped out of the present and into the Sengoku Jidai.