InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Enter the Witch and the Miko ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kurama'sFoxyMiko: I got an alert that said you wrote a comment about this story, but my computer isn't showing me what is said, so I can't reply. I am so sorry about that. Hopefully it'll fix itself soon.
 
~*~
 
They were all talking in the other room while Robin lay sleeping in “their” room. Inuyasha was convinced that something was wrong with her story, and the others were inclined to agree with him on that point.
 
“That girl isn't strong enough to pick up a heavy stick, much less beat up a demon with one,” he stated. “She barely has any strength at all.”
 
“Yes she does, Inuyasha,” Kagome shot back. “I've seen her working at my home. She lifts things over ten times her weight.”
 
“I think he has a point, Kagome,” said Miroku. “She doesn't seem to have the capability of destroying a lizard demon. They say that those kinds of demons have hypnotic eyes and voices that lure their prey into complacency. Then they either eat their prey or rape them. They don't tend to just attack their victims. And I've never heard of one being able to transport things unless it was extremely powerful. In that case, she wouldn't have been able to bash it with a stick, even if she is strong enough to pick one up that was heavy enough. It would have been too fast, and too strong. I agree with Inuyasha in that she doesn't look very strong. There's something missing in her story.”
 
They turned to Kohaku, who was also falling asleep where he sat. “You were there. What happened?”
 
He shrugged. “She wanted to wash off the dust of the road, and asked where the river was. I offered to go along to protect her from demons, but she declined. I was asleep when she returned. She didn't say what happened while she was washing.”
 
Sango spoke up then. “Kohaku, you're exhausted. You go sleep. We can carry on this conversation with you getting rest.”
 
He threw her a grateful look and stumbled to the bedroom. She returned her attention to the conversation. “I'm sorry, Kagome, but I'm more inclined to believe that she's not very strong. Now I know what you saw,” she said when Kagome opened her mouth angrily, “but there is no way she's strong enough to kill an incredibly weak demon, much less one that's strong enough to take her to a different place without her knowing. I don't think we'll find out the right answer unless she's here to verify that it's correct. I say we sleep on it, and then see what happens in the morning.
 
They followed the path Kohaku took earlier, all except Kagome and Inuyasha. She stared into the fire while Inuyasha looked at her from across the room. “You know there's something not right about her story,” he whispered. Walking over to her, he sat down and put his arm across her shoulders. “I know you think she could have done in that demon, but it wasn't because she was swinging a big stick around.”
 
“I know you're right. There's something that doesn't match. But I don't want to call her a liar. After all, she's been very helpful to me. I don't want to alienate her.”
 
He pulled her into a hug. “We'll find out what happened. But I know she's lying. Her scent changes when she lies, just like an ordinary human's does.”
 
“It could be that Robin doesn't tell a lot of things. I don't really know what her past is like; she only says things in bits and pieces, and very little of that.”
 
He started nuzzling her neck. “Maybe she doesn't want to think about her past.”
 
She held him tighter. “I know she was shot at by some people she used to work with, but I don't think she would want to forget them.” She got the feeling that Inuyasha wasn't paying much attention to where the conversation was going. For that matter, neither was she. The hanyou started to nibble and kiss her neck. “I think we had better start looking for the last shard soon, Inuyasha.” He didn't answer. His lips moved up and met hers. When they broke apart, she said, panting slightly, “I think we'd better stop at that, before it goes on to something we're both not ready for.” Reluctantly, he followed her into the room where the others of their group were already asleep. She settled into his arms as she did the night before she left and met Robin.
 
She woke up a little later than she normally did, but Sango, Miroku, and Kohaku were still asleep. Slowly, she turned and saw Inuyasha watching her with love in his eyes. I guess he feels like it's okay to let his feelings show when we're alone.
 
“Good morning, sunshine,” he greeted her warmly before kissing her tenderly.
 
He acts very differently when there aren't other people around. Or, other people aren't watching. “Are we going to look for the last jewel shard?” she asked quietly, not wanting to wake the other sleepers in the room.
 
“Yeah, the sooner the better. Are we taking Robin?” he asked, his voice low.
 
“I think we should. She's helpful, and I'm really the only person she feels comfortable with.” Not to mention the fact that there's still more she can teach me.
 
“That figures.” He started to get up.
 
She shivered at the coldness that replaced his body heat. “What's wrong with her?” she asked.
 
“I don't know. I get the feeling that she's not telling something important.”
 
She stood and they walked out into the main room. “We have to take her, Inuyasha. I won't leave her.”
 
“For you, Kagome, we'll take her.”
 
The door where Robin was staying swished open, revealing a very disheveled Robin. “Good morning, Robin,” said Kagome with a smile.
 
“Is it really good?” asked Robin, still half-asleep.
 
“We're going shard hunting,” Kagome informed her.
 
All she got was a blank stare. “The shards of the Shikon Jewel. It broke because I hit it with my arrow, so we're looking for the missing shards. We're only missing one now.”
 
Robin said nothing, just went back in the room and emerged a few seconds later with Kagome's huge bag and her own not-quite-so-huge bag.
 
Now, three days later, they were looking for a sign of the shard, except they had Shippo stay with Kaede again. Kagome could sense it was close, but she couldn't tell where it was, exactly. So they kept moving, and so did the Shikon jewel shard.
 
~*~