InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Enter the Witch and the Miko ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, I've been away for a while and couldn't update, but I'm back now, so here's the next chapter!
Kurama'sFoxyMiko: I think that you're right. Yu Yu Hakusho will be playing a big role after this.
 
~*~
 
Robin stared at the stone again. It was so pretty, and none of the others would look at her strangely if she only looked at it while they were asleep. It seemed to help her think, too. I need to get back and call them. It'll take a lot of talking of how they'll profit off it, but I think I can do at least that. Then there's Kagome. Her family won't leave without her. If only I had Michael to help me! But he can't, and there's nothing I can do about that. Poor Hiei will be torn apart when Kagome has to leave. She can't take him with her, and she can't stay here. Well, maybe she could, but then what's the point of me trying to get them to buy the place? The fire crackled, breaking her concentration. Looking at the sleepers, she wished she could be that peaceful. But it's too late for that. When Amon hunted her, that ended.
 
She looked back into the fire and once again got lost in her musings. She didn't even notice Inuyasha get up and come over. She was staring at the stone, like it would tell her what to do. Inuyasha also looked at the stone, and froze. He stared at it, then her, then back to it.
 
“Robin?” he asked in a strange voice.
 
“Hm? What?” she responded.
 
“How long have you had that stone?” His voice was really strange now.
 
“I found it when the lizard demon was blown away. Why?”
 
“Do you mean to tell me that we have been out here for two months, and you've had it the whole time?” Now it sounded like he was being strangled.
 
“Had what?”
 
“THE JEWEL SHARD!!!!!” he yelled.
 
“Oh.” She looked at the stone in her hand. “This is the thing we've been looking for?”
 
He facevaulted. “YES, THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!”
 
“Um, oops?” she said, looking sheepish.
 
~*~
 
Inuyasha told the others the “good” news in the morning. Robin had had the shard the entire time. Kagome didn't really blame her for not saying anything; after all, she didn't even know what the jewel looked like. She had never seen it, or a shard of it. She kept apologizing, and eventually the others forgave her. What she couldn't figure out was why she couldn't see it when Robin had it. She asked Robin about it as the made their way back to the village. “Well, my Craft may have prevented you from pinpointing it,” Robin surmised. “I could be wrong. In fact, I probably am, but I don't know how else to explain it.”
 
It took them another three weeks to get back to the village, where and ecstatic Shippo greeted them. “You're finally back!” he cried. “We were beginning to think that you had disappeared.”
 
They told Kaede what had happened, and introduced their new companion. Then they unloaded their things into the room. Robin took Kagome aside and whispered, “I'll try to call them.”
 
It took Kagome a second to figure out what she meant, then said, “I'll take you to the well.” The two girls, plus Hiei, went to Inuyasha's Forest, where the well was located. Since Kagome didn't want Hiei knowing about the well just yet, she said, “Follow the path; it leads to where you need to go.”
 
They watch as Robin left them. “Where is Robin going?” asked Hiei.
 
“She's looking for something. She'll be back later, or at least I think she will.”
 
~*~
 
Robin wasn't exactly sure how the well worked, but she figured that if they jumped down the well to get here, jumping down would bring her back. She jumped, and was surrounded by the same purple glow that had taken them to the Sengoku Jidai. Looking up, she saw the roof of the well house. Taking out her phone, which she had picked up at Kaede's, dialed their number. One of the maids answered the phone. “This is Robin Sena. Can you let me talk to the master of the home?”
 
“Just a moment,” said the maid. A few seconds later, a man answered.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hello, this is Robin Sena.”
 
This started the long conversation. At first, he wanted nothing to do with a Shinto Shrine in Japan, since he would never see it, as he lived in Italy. But, she managed to get him to see how much he would make with this place as a tourist site, and she would do all the work. Just buy it, she would stay in it, and work in it.
 
The man was generous, though. He knew Robin since she was a baby, and said that as long as most of the profits went to him, the place was hers. She would have to go to school, of course, but she would run the place and basically own it. Most of the profit went to him, mind. But he would buy it as soon as possible. She thanked him and hung up. Now I can tell Kagome the good news, she thought happily. She crawled halfway up the well, and jumped back down to be taken back to the Feudal Era.
 
They were already asleep by the time Robin got back. Well, everyone except Hiei. He was sitting by the fire with Kagome and Inuyasha, who were asleep behind him. He looked up as she entered.
 
“What are you doing up at this hour?” she asked. He should be in bed!
 
He stumbled over to her and fell into her arms that were ready to catch him. “I wanted to wait for you,” he mumbled.
 
“You're falling over. You need to be in bed,” she said with mock sternness.
 
He only yawned and snuggled into her arms. This is new, she thought. Normally he would be jumping back to Kagome. But he didn't fuss when she walked into the room where the others were. She had gotten used to sleeping with them around, and figured it would be okay. He was already asleep, his arms still around her neck. She lay down, careful not to crush him, and fell asleep.
 
~*~
 
When Kagome woke in the morning, she realized two things. One, Hiei wasn't with her, and two, Inuyasha was. He was already awake, looking at her.
 
“Do know where Hiei is?” she asked.
 
He sniffed the air and said, “He went with Robin when she came in. And they are both with the others. I guess this means that he doesn't have to stay with you anymore.”
 
“I guess it does,” she agreed. She would have gotten up, but he stopped her by grabbing her arm.
 
“We haven't been like this in a long time,” he said.
 
“No, we haven't.” She would have said more, but a stream of kisses sealed her lips, making talk impossible. He finally stopped, much to her disappointment. He smiled when he saw her reaction, and said, “We can continue that tomorrow.”
 
She sighed, but got up too. “I need to take Robin's jewel shard. Then we can make the wish, and it'll disappear.”
 
Just then Hiei hesitantly entered the room. He was wary, since they had come at night, and didn't really get a chance to see what was in there. He walked over to them, but it was Inuyasha that was asked to hold him this time. He complied with the child's unspoken request, and asked if he was the only one awake. Hiei nodded yes.
 
“When did Robin get in?” asked Kagome.
 
“It was late. You had been asleep fore three hours before she came back.”
 
Then Robin herself entered the room. “Well, speak of the devil,” said Inuyasha.
 
Robin looked at them in confusion. “Did you need me for something?”
 
Kagome answered, “Yes, we need your jewel shard. Can we have it?”
 
Robin fished around in her pockets for a second before producing the shard. “This is what you wanted, right?” she asked.
 
“Yep, that's the one.” Kagome took out the Shikon Jewel piece that they had, and fused the two together. “Now we have the complete Shikon no Tama.”
 
“What will you do with it?” Robin wanted to know.
 
“Me? Nothing.” She presented it to Inuyasha. “It's yours. Make your wish.”
 
“I can't.” He pushed her had away.
 
“But I thought you were going to use it to become a full demon,” she said in confusion.
 
“I was, but now I think that Miroku or Sango will have better wishes to make than that.”
 
They sat there and Kagome made breakfast for them. They ate as they waited for Sango and Miroku to wake up.
 
Kagome noticed someone else missing, or two someone elses. “Where's Kaede and Shippo?” she asked.
 
Shippo wasn't the hard one; he came bounding in as soon as he smelled the breakfast cooking. Kaede wasn't seen, though.
 
Miroku was the first to come in. He sat down next to his food and looked at it without realizing he was supposed to eat it until Hiei, deciding that Miroku needed to be fed, tottled over to him and, putting the food in a spoon, put it in front of his face. He took the spoon after thanking Hiei for looking out for him. And then there was Sango. Apparently she had a rough night. She snapped at Inuyasha for asking if there was anything the matter. She scared Hiei, and he buried himself into Kagome's arms, once again not allowing her to eat, so Inuyasha had to feed her, Hiei, and himself.
 
The disaster was when she was turned, and Miroku felt her rear end again. She roared, making herself 10 feet tall, and proceeded to bash him around with Hiraikotsu. The others ignored it, and Kagome covered Hiei's ears and Inuyasha blocked his view of what she was doing.
 
“Um, I don't think that today will be a good time to ask them about their wishes,” Kagome said, a sweat drop forming as she watched their progress.
 
Inuyasha only nodded. He was busy trying to block Hiei's view and feed him at the same time; not easy when Hiei's head is moving this way and that, wondering why Kagome had blocked his ears.
 
Sango didn't calm down for the rest of the day. She went into the woods to get away from them, so they wouldn't annoy her and they wouldn't get shouted at. The others cleaned up the hut, wondering where Kaede was. Kagome was pulled aside by Robin, who took them outside.
 
“What's going on back in the present? Are they buying?” asked Kagome anxiously.
 
“It gets better than that. Not only have they agreed to buy it, it's going to be under my name, so it's mine! Well, they're paying for it, and most of the profits are going to them, but I stay there, I own the place, and I get to keep some of the money coming in. Not much, but it's something. They'll pay for anything the place needs.”
 
“Wow! They must really like you.”
 
“They've known me ever since I came to Italy as a baby. They sort of took a shine to me. They're the ones that paid for my learning the Craft.”
 
“Learning?”
 
“Well, you have to have the potential, and they'll show you how to use it. Of course, Father Juliano, the head priest of the cathedral where I was raised, had to agree to it.”
 
“So that's how you knew so much about my Craft,” Kagome said, finally understanding.
 
“That, and I studied the witches we caught at the STN-J.”
 
Kagome looked down the road and saw a familiar figure coming towards them. “Kaede!” she cried, running to meet her. The old miko greeted them with a smile and a basket each.
 
“I was at a neighboring village, where they needed my assistance,” she said in response to their queries. “The gifts in the baskets are their way of thanking me.”
 
She was introduced to Hiei, who was hiding behind Kagome's legs. He quickly got over his shyness when she didn't yell or treat him like an inferior. The old woman had to go to bed because she had insisted on walking back here. “They couldn't afford to send a wagon or a horse,” she had said.
 
They all went to bed soon after she did. Hiei had opted to stay with Robin again, giving Kagome a chance to be with Inuyasha. While sleeping, she dreamed she saw Midoriko. She sort of floated over to the old warrior-priestess and said, “The Shikon Jewel is complete. You can rest now.”
 
Midoriko smiled. “You did a marvelous job remaking the jewel. But I think that the legend has warped what actually happens when it is complete. I will rest now that the jewel is complete, but since you have part of my soul, I won't be able to completely be at peace until your soul rejoins mine.
 
“Now, about the Shikon Jewel. It won't disappear once a wish has been made on it, I'm afraid. If it did, then the demons trapped inside it will be released into the world once again. It will continually grant wishes, and remain in this world. When we cease to exist, my soul and the demons' souls will vanish from the jewel. It will still grant wishes, but it will be safe to destroy it then.”
 
“We can't destroy it while I'm alive?” asked Kagome.
 
“No, I'm afraid that you will have to look after the jewel for the rest of your life. It won't be destroyed until you're dead. And you now have a long time to live. It lengthens the life of its protectors so that you will not age beyond a certain point. I didn't mean for this to happen, but it was a last resort to trap my soul in a jewel.”
 
She started fading. “Wait, Midoriko! If I age more slowly, what about my friends?” cried Kagome.
 
The priestess kept becoming more transparent. “If they also protect the jewel, then their lives will lengthen to match yours. That is all I can tell you.”
 
Kagome woke after this was said. Everyone else was gone, and light was streaming in the window. Oh, great, I overslept. She groaned. Now I have to look after the Jewel for the rest of my life. How lovely. Not bothering to groom herself, she walked into the main room. There was no one there, but they had thoughtfully left her breakfast. After finishing her eggs, she found Kaede weeding her garden. She told the old miko about her dream. Kaede nodded, and said sagely, “Yes, I suspected something like this would happen.”