InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Roses ❯ Memories in Rain Drops ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Special thanks to disneyrulz23. My first reviewer and subscriber. Thank you!
 
Warning- Tomoyo does act slightly depressed for most of the chapter but it's necessary for the plot. It will get better, I promise. And my reason for using rain will be explained later. Disclaimer- I do not own YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, or Card Captor Sakura. They are the property of their respected owners. Well here's the first chapter. Thank You!
“Talking”
`Thinking'
`Telepathy'- this won't come in for a while
 
Chapter 4- Memories in Rain Drops
 
Tomoyo stared at the dark clouds, her amethyst eyes as dark and unreadable as the sky. Briefly, out of sheer boredom, she looked around her. Even in four years things hadn't changed. Sakura still sat across from her, eyebrows drawn together and lips set in the rare frown as the teacher tried to explain some sort of math problem to an uninterested class. Behind her sat Syaoran, who had come back after the Void Card. Feeling eyes on him he looked up and smiled at her before acting like he was choking himself. Tomoyo laughed lightly, placed her hands together, and rested her hands on them, pretending to be sleeping. He chuckled.
 
A hand came up and pointed to Sakura. Tomoyo however followed the hand up the arm and into mischievous navy blue eyes. The newest member of their little group, Eriol Hiiragizawa. It had been hysterical when he'd just popped up in class one day last year. She watched as he brought his hand back up and knocked lightly on his head before tracing his hand through the air, dark blue magic flowing from his fingertip. On a normal occasion she would have yelled at him for using such displays of magic in public but right now she was too bored to care. They snickered when Eriol finished, leaving the word `hollow' written across the air. Sakura turned slightly in her chair, curious and Eriol raised a hand and brushed over the letters, the magic easily disappearing. Sakura blinked at them but shrugged and turned around but instead of paying attention she started to draw.
 
They laughed lightly, they didn't mean to be cruel, but they just didn't care right now. She watched as Eriol spun small designs in the air, adding small jokes as he went. It was only for an instant but for a few seconds she envied him, able to wield a power she could only dream of having so easily, taking for it for granted. Then she forced herself to remember the pain he had to go through to have that power, forced to use his powers by Clow when he just wanted to have a some-what normal life. She almost felt guilty about the thought, almost. She'd never forgive him-them- for taking such a gift for granted. Not that she'd let them know, of course, she'd promised herself never to be as selfish as her father had been when he was alive. That however was a different story.
 
The current scene-one where Kero-chan and Yue were beating each other up when the sun guardian tried to set Yue's hair on fire- vanished when a loud ring pierced through the room, startling everyone. Unlike others who rushed from their seats and ran out the door the group of four magicians took their time. `Three magicians,' Tomoyo corrected herself, `I'm just the tag along.' A role she was being increasing reminded of. Like now as Sakura talked about her date with Syaoran, a blush staining her cheeks. Surprisingly, Tomoyo didn't feel the urge to pull out her camera and record the cute scene. When she didn't, nobody noticed. “Really, where are you taking her, Li-kun?” Eriol asked.
 
Syaoran blinked at him dumbly before narrowing his eyes. “It's a surprise.” He hissed. Tomoyo smirked lightly, “Which means you have no idea and never did.” She shook her head. “You poor, poor boy. It's a good thing Eriol asked, I can just imagine you trying to explain why you can't tell Touya-san where you're taking his sister.” She said a cocky tone in of voice. Oh god, she'd been hanging around these people for far too long, she was either picking up Eriol's twisted sense of humor or Yue's dry wit.
 
Syaoran glared at her even as a blush appeared on his cheeks. “No I just don't want tell her where we're going,” he waved dramatically at Sakura. “And I don't want him to know,” he pointed an accusing finger at Eriol. “Because then he'll pop up there with some weird excuse that doesn't make any sense but we'll end up believing.” Tomoyo and Eriol laughed at the boy's expense. Eriol looked up at him, a smirk playing across his features. “Why Syaoran, what a wonderful idea. But unfortunately I promised Ruby that I'd help make a cake for Kinomoto-san.”
 
Tomoyo snickered. “More like promised Touya-san that you'd make sure she didn't poison him with too much sugar.” Eriol laughed, “Yes, that to.” “Tomoyo-chan, your rides here.” Sakura whispered. Blinking, Tomoyo realized they'd reached the front gate of the school and a black limousine sat waiting for her. Tomoyo walked over to it, waving goodbye to her friends. She stopped at the door and watched as they walked away, chatting easily. But she could tell from the look in their eyes that they were talking about something she couldn't understand, they were talking about magic. Of course, they'd wait for the only member of their group with-out magic to leave before they talked about it. `Who am I kidding?' she thought. `I'm not a part of that group anymore.' It was true, that's what hurt the most. That this wasn't some random thought in the middle of a brief depression, it was fact. No one had noticed but over time the fact that she didn't have magic had slowly but surely separated her from the others. The feeling sank deep and she popped her head into the window, talking with the driver. “I'm going to walk home today.” She nodded and gave Tomoyo a pleasant smile.
 
Tomoyo walked quickly away from the car, trying to bury the new realization. She made a split-second decision to take the long way home, the one where she wouldn't run into Sakura. Sakura…she realized with a start that the normal warm feeling she felt when she thought about the card mistress was gone. Had the distance even changed her feelings toward Sakura? That was another piece of fact she didn't want to notice but forced herself to anyway. She loved Sakura, yes, but she wasn't in love with her anymore. The crush she'd thought she had for these past few months had merely been her hanging on to something that wasn't there anymore. She'd been an absolute idiot lately. The truth had been lying right in front of her the whole time but she'd refused to see it until it would hurt her the most. She didn't love Sakura and she felt like a stranger in front of her closest friends. “You Idiot!” she shouted and her pace quickened until she was running down the streets.
 
As if sympathizing with her the sky opened up and the rain was let loose, soaking her to the bone. She ran, flat out, as fast she could and kept her head bowed. But she didn't cry, not even when she slipped and fell, hitting the ground. Slowly she sat up and looked down at herself. She was a mess, dripping wet, freezing cold, and she didn't care one bit. That was until the rain just stopped falling. She looked up, surprised to find an umbrella being held over her head. “Catching a cold like this doesn't suit you Tomoyo-san.” A smooth voice whispered from above her. She didn't need to look to know who it was. “Hello Eriol-san.” She greeted in an emotionless voice. She really didn't want to talk him right now. “What are you doing here?”
 
Eriol winced slightly at her tone but with her back turned toward him she didn't notice. “I'm heading home.” Tomoyo blinked and looked over her shoulder at him, her hair wet and sticking to her face. “But your house is-” “Torn down.” She had started to tell that he lived on the other side of town when he cut her off. She stared up at him. “Oh.”
 
He smiled down at her. “What about you? I thought you were being driven.” She nodded. “I was, but then I decided to walk.” He nodded, his smile becoming almost cocky. “And walk in the completely wrong direction while getting soaked and ending up on the ground.” Tomoyo huffed and turned back around so her back was facing him. “Oh, shut up.” She growled lightly and was surprised to find she was rather good at it. “I wanted to take the long way.” He nodded although he didn't seem to believe her. “And avoid any chance of meeting Sakura.” He said it like he was a book, and knowing him he very well could be. “Well, come on, let's get you home.”
 
She blinked lightly and turned to face Eriol fully. “What?” He smiled down at her. “I'll walk you home.” He whispered and held out his hand. She sighed and took it, letting him pull her up with ease. Once she was on her feet he muttered something under his breath and she felt the water evaporate from her hair and clothes. In a second she was completely dry. She frowned but didn't mention his careless use of magic. After all that would be selfish and more than the tiniest bit jealous. And she didn't want him to realize how far apart they'd grown.
 
As they walked they talked about the little things and compared the then to the now. Eriol was quite surprised by the changes but Tomoyo wasn't, she was trying to deal with two of them right now, after all. After awhile they stopped talking and Eriol tilted his head in such a way that he could look past the umbrella and at the sky. He smiled lightly, a wistful smile that she noticed almost immediately. “I take it the rain is very important in magic.”
 
Eriol looked over at her and nodded, laughing softly. “Yes it is said that out of all the elements rain is the most likely to tell the truth. It's said it can also tell a past life to those willing to listen. Because rain falls in a constant cycle it remembers everything and because of that knows lying only beings more pain. So it will always, always tell the truth, even if you don't like it.” Tomoyo gave a grim smile, `Sounds like me.' She thought, feeling the self-loathing build in her.
 
She blinked when the boy stopped suddenly. “Eriol-san?” She called. He smiled at her, “Isn't that your house?” she turned her head and stared at the mansion in front of her. She nodded slowly, surprised. Eriol smiled lightly at her. “Good night, Tomoyo-san.” He whispered. She watched him walk past her and a smile tilted her lips up. “Thank you.” She whispered, her voice lost on the wind. She turned and ran into the house so she wouldn't get to wet, not after Eriol had taken the time and magic to dry her so she didn't catch a cold.
 
Later that night she found herself laying on her back, staring blankly at the ceiling. She turned her head to the balcony door, watching the rain fall. Sighing she stood up and unlocked the door, stepping outside. She closed it behind her and walked over to the railing the smooth stone wet beneath her hands. She bowed her head and closed her eyes, praying softly. “I don't know what I'm doing but I want to know. I don't care if the truth hurts I can handle it. I want, no, I need to know if all I am is just a timid little girl that's trying to be too much to fast or if in some weird twisted world I used to be someone. I just need to know if at one point I was selfish and didn't care who my words or actions hurt. I need to know if some cared…” she trailed off, finding hard to speak. `What am I doing?' she thought in surprise and slid her eyes open with the intent to walk away. She didn't even have the time to turn before images and scenes spread though her mind with such force she was sent reeling, the air coming out of her in a rush.
 
I was sitting in a forest by stream, water held in my cupped hands as I stared at my reflection. Grayish black hair fell around a pale face and framed dark purple eyes. I sighed and let the water drip between my fingers. I was starting to think that this was a bad idea.
 
I didn't know why I was hesitating, I wanted to say yes. But something held me back, made me think about it for a second. If I chose this path I couldn't go back. Oh who was I trying to fool? I couldn't go back now even if I wanted to. Which I didn't, I told myself firmly. Besides, my plan wasn't working. I looked up, a bit slowly, at the leader, a young human-looking redhead. Know that I thought about it they all looked surprisingly like human teenage girls, which meant they were very strong. “Okay. I'll do it.” I whispered.
 
This wasn't good. I couldn't use most of my powers because of the wards the idiots wore and Black was being bound tightly by seals. Violet looked okay and Blue didn't have a scratch on her. At least until that bomb took a part of her leg out, poisoning her in the process. At least I wasn't the only one injured now. Bad move, very bad move, I thought as someone grabbed my kicked me behind one knee, forcing me down. I winced when I felt a hand weave itself through my hair none too gently. A scream tore itself from my throat when some of the locks were pulled out. A hand gripped my chin, forcing me to look into malicious blue eyes. Out of the corner of mine own I saw Violet ran towards me to help, she'd never make it, everyone knew that. The hand on my chin pushed my head to the left then snapped it to the right. I just heard Violet release a horrifying scream before I fainted, dead to the world. Literally.
 
Tomoyo toke in ragged breaths, trying not to let the memories overwhelm her. Shaking, she stood and entered her bedroom, changing in to some dry clothes before lying down in bed, not bothering to dry her hair. She sighed and thought about it, the images had been slightly frightening but the majority of it had given her a soft warm feeling. Before she was killed, of course. Now the only question was what to do with the memories. She didn't think the rain would answer her this time. `Oh, well. If I don't like it I can blame it all on Eriol.' Smiling she let herself fall asleep.