InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Roses ❯ Welcome Back ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry this took so long. I… got distracted. Heh, heh. Disclaimer- I do not own YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, or Card Captor Sakura. They are the property of their respected owners.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
`Telepathy'
*- means yes.
 
Chapter 15- Welcome Back
 
Kikyo pushed her way through the brush, looking for a clear path. `How did Kagome manage to get through here? I get lost every time.' Sighing she looked up to check her bearings and nodded, walking into the clearing. She tilted her head up and stared at the mane of silver that was nearly hidden in the leaves of the sacred tree. “Inuyasha.” She called, watching as the boy turned and looked at her. Kikyo smiled up at him. “We just got word. Sesshomaru will be here in three days.” Inuyasha nodded and turned his head to look at something else. Kikyo didn't have to guess as to what it was. He was trying to look at the well through all the heavy brush. She sighed and shook her head. “Don't worry Inuyasha. She'll be back.” Inuyasha didn't move to look at her this time. “Yeah, but… Three months?” Kikyo smiled again. “Kagome keeps her promises. She'll return.” With that said Kikyo turned and walked away.
 
Inuyasha watched her leave. At some point he must have fallen asleep because the next thing he knew was the sharp burn around his neck. He winced, his hands grabbing the beads and yanking them off his neck. He stared at the glowing beads tangled in his claws for a moment before calming down and slipping them around his neck again. He was just getting settled down again when it hit him. He pushed himself up, jumping from branch to branch with ease. `Please let it be her.' He begged.
 
He landed in the clearing with the well and slowly walked toward it. His eyes widened as the well glowed a soft blue, signing that someone had come through. He watched as two girls floated to the top, landing easily on the ground. He stiffened, his hand flying to the Tessaiga. He relaxed slightly when one of the girls sank to her knees, obviously to tired and in no condition to fight. He relaxed completely when the other girl sat down across from her in worry, not even giving him a glance. Plus their clothes pointed to Kagome's time and she wouldn't be too pleased if he killed her friends. His eyes flickered back to the well when it flashed again and this time Kagome floated up. He frowned slightly, `Why is everyone floating?'
 
Kagome didn't look at him when she landed, immediately falling to the girls. Kagome stared at them and shook her head. “You okay?” The girl nodded and looked up at her. “That took more than I expected. And no one was floating.” The two looked at her in confusion, while the girl lifted her head and stared at Inuyasha. Kagome spun around to stare at him. “Inuyasha.” She whispered.
 
There was a bright flash of blue from the well and they turned to it. He watched as a young girl pulled herself up and fell out of the well. Slowly she stood and looked around. Her eyes stopped briefly on him and he was surprised when he saw tears in her eyes. She turned her head and looked over at Kagome. “Blue?” Her voice was weak and strained as she spoke. Kagome walked forward. “I can't go back, can I?” she asked. Kagome shook her head lightly and the first of the tears fell. The brunette stepped forward and promptly collapsed in Kagome's arms. The girls sat down around her, offering a sort of silent comfort that Inuyasha couldn't understand.
 
Slowly the tears dried and the brunette was sleeping in Kagome's arms. Inuyasha decided now was the best time to speak up. “Kagome.” He whispered, causing the girl's head to snap in his direction. “WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!” He shouted. The birds took off in a flutter.
 
Kikyo stepped out of the hut and scanned the village. “Is Inuyasha still not back?” A voice called from inside. Kikyo was about to respond when she caught a glimpse of the bright red of Inuyasha's outfit. She smiled and ran towards him. She slowed as she neared him. His head was bowed so she couldn't see his face and he was carrying what appeared to be a young girl in his arms. He was being followed by three other young women. She reached a hand out as he brushed by. “Inuyasha what's going on?”
 
He didn't answer, didn't even seem to hear her. She was about to ask again when one of the girls past by her, the facial features and way of dress clicking in her mind. “Kagome?” she breathed. The woman stopped and turned back to her. Kikyo froze as she stared into the dark brown depths of the girl's eyes. The top few layers were blank and void of feeling but beneath that was a deep sadness and even farther a dark anger and hatred that chilled her to the bone. As the girl turned and followed the rest into the hut it dawned on her that this wasn't the same Kagome that had left them three months ago. The same Kagome that everyone had been waiting for. That person wouldn't be coming back.
 
Sango looked up as someone entered the hut and she smiled at Inuyasha. The smile slipped away when she saw the girl he was carrying. She stood up and walked over, taking the girl from him and setting her down, checking her over for injuries. She heard Miroku and Shippo move over to help her when Shippo froze, his eyes locked on the door. “Kagome?” he breathed. Everyone in the hut stopped what they were doing and turned toward the well-missed time traveler.
 
Kaede sighed and looked over the girl once more. Her hair was a soft honey brown, cut at her shoulders. Her face was pale and she seemed slightly disturbed. She had been changed into a simple white kimono instead of the ridiculously hideous blue school uniform she was wearing- Tomoyo's words if she remembered correctly. Despite the fact that she had yet to wake the girl showed no sign of injury. It seemed that the girl merely refused to wake up.
 
Kaede sighed and stood, walking back into the main room of the hut. She frowned when she noticed the sitting arrangement. While she had expected everyone to be crowded around Kagome and her new friends the three girls had clearly distanced themselves from the rest. Kagome sat between the two younger ones, her back leaning against the wall. The youngest, Tomoyo, was laying spread out, her head tucked into Kagome's lap as the ebony-haired girl ran her fingers through the thick black strands. Hotaru was leaning against Kagome's side, her head resting against her shoulder. Kagome's free hand was holding on to Hotaru's as if she would disappear the minute she let go. The three girls seemed to be surrounded by an aura of sadness that not even Kagome's return could break through. The other five people in the room were sitting opposite them, looking at the girls with emotions ranging from suspicion to happiness, but the most easily seen emotion was the worry the coated the room like a fog.
 
Kagome looked up as she entered. “Is she okay?” Kaede nodded and settled herself down on the floor. “She's not hurt but she refuses to wake. Now tell me child, what has happened?” Inuyasha snapped his eyes back to the girls. “Yeah, I'd like to know that too.”
 
The girls shared a glance that seemed to say a million things at once. Nodding lightly Kagome turned her head back to Inuyasha. “Lets just say we could be here under better circumstances.” Inuyasha growled. “That's not good enough.” Kagome sighed and leaned her head back against the wall behind her. “Well it's going to have to be. I'm not saying anything more. Just know that this is the only place we've got.” Her words seemed bring in a cold silence that no one dared to break. “Blue?” No one but the disoriented.
 
Kagome's head shot up and she sprung to her feet, running towards the weak figure in the door way. Kagome grabbed her arm and slowly led her back to sit with the other girl's. Once the introductions were made Tomoyo looked up at Keiko. “What now?” Keiko smiled and wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulder. “Simple, we forget the past. We make a new life.” Kagome frowned and looked up at the ceiling. “I wouldn't mind my old job. That was fun.” She stated in a some-what airy voice. She finished the sentence in her mind, sending it down the link. `Preferably without dieing this time around.' Keiko smiled slightly. “Hai*. That sounds nice.”
 
Sango frowned at her. “What job?” Kagome grinned and looked over at her. “Wouldn't you like to know.” She whispered. And just like that the sadness that had been haunting the girl's eyes broke and shattered like glass, leaving their friend in its place. The others grinned and ran up to her, talking a mile a minute, even dragging the younger girls in to it. The only person who didn't join in was Keiko. Kaede watched her from the corner of her eye. The brunette had a sick twist on her lips that she couldn't really say was a smile. Her eyes were dull and sad, trying to hold in the grief that seemed to more from her in waves. Trying and failing. She watched as Keiko turned her head and looked out the small window in the hut with a look Kaede knew all to well. It was the look of a broken heart.
 
Keiko bit her lip as she stared out the window. Her hands clenched into fists and she felt the nails break the dry skin, a hot thick liquid pouring past her fingers and dripping onto the floor. `Yusuke…'