InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Father's Love ❯ Jewel Shard Discovery ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Inu Yasha or YuYu Hakusho. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi. I make no money off of this, nor do I intend to.

Chapter Six:
Jewel Shard Discovery

The morning light found the group slowly waking. Well, the group with the exception of Shuichi, who was nowhere to be found.

“Where’s Shuichi?” asked Shippo.

“I don’t know,” answered Kagome, looking around. “Miroku, you didn’t say something stupid to him, did you?”

“Of course not!” Miroku insisted, looking appalled at the very idea. “I apologized for my conduct, he accepted, then I went to bed at *his* insistence.”

“I hope he’s not lost.” Kagome had a worried expression on her face. If Shuichi got lost, it was her responsibility. If she didn’t find him, how would she explain it to Shiori, Shuichi’s mother?

“Heh. Who cares? He should never have been here to start with.” Inu Yasha just sat still, his arms crossed and golden eyes closed.

There was a rustle in the bushes behind them, causing everyone to go to battle mode. Kagome drew her bow back, an arrow at the ready. Miroku had both hands at the ready, should his Wind Tunnel be needed. Inu Yasha had Tetsuaiga drawn, standing in front of the group.

A red head of hair poked itself out of the bushes. “My apologies. I didn’t mean to startle you.” Emerald eyes looked at them apologetically.

“Shuichi!” Shippo leapt up and Shuichi, slightly startled, caught him one handed. “We woke up and you were gone! Why didn’t you leave a note?”

“I’m sorry, Little One. I thought I would be back before all of you woke. I went out to get breakfast for us.” He held up a string with fish on it with his other hand. “I found a pond further back in the woods. I thought fresh fish would be better than the instant food Kagome brought with her.”

“You still should have left a note,” pouted Shippo, looking at Shuichi accusingly.

“I promise I will next time, Little One.” Shuichi hugged Shippo and sat him down.

Several minutes later the fish were cleaned and cooked. “What’s the plan, Kagome?” Shuichi asked as he ate.

“We usually just walk until we find the shard. After that, we fight some random demon, maybe Naraku. If we do come up against Naraku, take Shippo and run.”

“Usually we just get a small demon, normally just a nuisance. Give it a shard of the jewel, though...” Inu Yasha trailed off there, the meaning hanging in the air among them.

“I understand.”

After making certain that the fire was out and all the supplies were accounted for, they set back out on the road. In order to keep up with the others’ pace, Shippo hopped into the bicycle basket Kagome had. “Shippo...” Kagome started.

“Yes, Kagome?”

“Why have you been spending so much time with Shuichi?”

“Should I not?” Shippo asked, a note of sadness creeping into his voice.

“I didn’t say that,” Kagome disagreed. “I was just curious. You’ve only just met him.”

Shippo turned to look directly at Kagome. “I like him, Kagome. He’s a nice person. And there’s something... comforting about him. I like being around him.”

Kagome smiled. “Yeah, Shuichi’s like that. All the kids in school go to him for advice. He’s almost the moral center of it all. Too bad all the girls won’t leave him alone.”

“He’s like Miroku?”

Kagome laughed. “No way! He’s the exact opposite! The girls throw *themselves* at him!”

“Oh.” Shippo was silent for a moment. “He seems... kinda sad. Like he lost something important.”

“Mm-hmm. Shuichi’s been like that ever since I met him. He looks like he doesn’t have a care in the world, and then, when he thinks no one is watching...” Kagome sighed and shook her head.. “I’ve seen him just stare at the sky for hours... with this sad expression on his face. Like he’s on the verge of tears.”

“Mm-hmm.”

They walked for several hours, the sun moving across the sky in its eternal chase for the moon, a chase that both moon and sun knew would never end. Sparse words were spoken, even when they stopped for lunch. As noontime faded into afternoon, Kagome stopped suddenly.

“Something wrong?” asked Inu Yasha.

“The shard I sensed... it’s moving this way... fast!”

“Damnit all... not Koga!”

Koga too?! Kurama remembered Koga well. Upstart wolf demon with a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Fuji.

And a fondness for any female on two legs.

Remembering suddenly how feminine looking he was at the moment, he drew the sword Hiei had given him the night before. No sense in taking chances, he thought. Sango had Miroku and Kagome had Inu Yasha, so they were protected.

As a small tornado approached, Inu Yasha drew Tetsuaiga. Air started to spin around it as he took a battle-ready stance. Seconds later the whirlwind dissipated, revealing a young man clad in furs, a sword at his side. His ears were pointed in a manner reminiscent of a wolf’s, and on his chest he wore a samurai chest plate. His dark hair was pulled back in a ponytail with a strip of leather.

At least Koga hadn’t changed, Kurama thought. Aside from his increased speed, he looked like the same demon who bragged once that he would lead the whole of the wolf demon tribe.

“Hello, Kagome. Are you finally willing to leave the mutt and be with a real demon?” he asked, taking Kagome’s hands in his own.

No, he hadn’t changed at all.

“Um... Hello, Koga.”

“Get... your... hands... off... of... her!” Inu Yasha drew back Tetsuaiga, ready to strike.

“Sit, Inu Yasha,” Kagome said calmly. Inu Yasha hit the ground hard.

“So... the jewel shard you sensed... was Koga’s?” asked Sango, sounding disappointed.

“Seems like,” agreed Kagome, slowly inching away from Koga. Suddenly Koga’s head snapped up.

“What’s that?” he muttered. He sniffed the air, then his gaze fell on Kurama. “Ah, yet another rival for fair Kagome’s hand?”

*Well, at least he didn’t think I’m a female,* Kurama thought, tightening his grip on the sword. “And if I am?”

“Well, since I won’t tolerate the insolent puppy, I’m afraid that I’ll have to kill you. You see,” he grinned ferally, “Kagome is mine.”

“I’m sure she is,” Kurama muttered. At that, Koga jumped towards him.

Kurama instinctively blocked the kick that came his way. What he had said to Hiei was true, he wasn’t as skilled with the katana as his mate was. However, he knew well how to defend himself.

Kurama immediately slashed at the wolf demon, missed and ran off to the side, knowing that Koga would give chase. He continued running and fending off his opponent until he was certain that Inu Yasha and the others couldn’t see where they had went.

Satisfied that he was at a safe distance from the group, Kurama sheathed the sword and pulled a rose from his hair. As Koga lunged again, the rose became a thorny whip, with which Kurama grabbed his leg in mid-kick, and flung Koga several feet away.

The wolf rose again, and seeing the weapon in his enemy’s hand, recognized him instantly.

“Heh. I knew it was you all along... Kurama,” Koga huffed out while trying to regain his breath.

“I thought you did.” Kurama placed his rose back in his hair. “I am surprised you remembered me, however.”

“Heh. As though anyone could forget the infamous duo of Yoko Kurama and Hiei the Forbidden One. How long have you been here?”

“Three days, no more. I’m still looking for Myoga. Does he still run away when danger is even remotely possible?”

“Of course. I’ve heard the insolent puppy complain about it enough. Say, now that you’re here...”

“No, Koga. I will not use my brotherly influence to make Inu Yasha give up Kagome. He does not know, remember? Why don’t you ask Sesshoumaru-niisama?”

Koga laughed heartily. “Please! Spare me! Sesshoumaru tell Inu Yasha to do something other than die?!” Kurama could not suppress a smile.

“I know. Sesshoumaru-niisama will not do something unless it suits him.”

“I have some news for you.” Koga pointed to a mountain. “There is rumor there of a fire demon with the markings of a fox demon. Sounded to me like one of yours.”

“Male or female?”

“Male, young. Twenty-five of our years, unless I miss my guess.”

“Possibly. I will investigate eventually.”

“That fox demon that travels with Kagome. He’s your eldest, isn’t he?”

“Yes. Yes, he is.”

“Have you finally returned for him?” Kurama arched an elegant eyebrow.

“Is our story legend among demons now?”

“The fox and the ice/fire demon hybrid who went to great lengths to not only be together, but to bear children, only to have to give those children up almost immediately upon their birth? Some called it the final fall of the great Yoko Kurama, others called it the most romantic and sad tale ever to come from demons. Only the young ones and Inu Yasha are unaware of it.”

Kurama shook his head. “Demons... the only gossips that are worse are humans. How many children do they credit us with?”

“Last count was... fifteen or twenty, I think.” Kurama turned paler than dandelion seeds in the wind. “Too many?”

“Far, far too many.” Kurama looked over his shoulder. “I should get back. Honokitsu worries when I stay away too long. Keep me informed if you hear anymore rumors, please?”

“‘Please’?” At the look Kurama leveled at him, Koga sighed. The emerald eyes were almost more intimidating than the gold ones. “Fine. If I hear anything, I’ll be sure to let you know.”

Kurama nodded his thanks, turned, then turned back. “You wouldn’t mind giving me one of your shards, would you? It would make Kagome happy.”

“Eh heh heh... no.”

“Didn’t think so.” Kurama took off, a small dust trail forming behind him.

“Hey, Kurama!” Koga called, causing Kurama to stop. “One thing the legend can’t agree on. Which one of you is the ‘mother’?”

The only answer Koga received was a laugh and a dust cloud.

~~TBC...~~

Author’s notes: I would like to thank my wonderful fiancé and beta, baiyu_dan, for writing the battle scene for me. I’m afraid I’m not that good at writing them. Thank you, dearest. Ai shiteru.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~