InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Crossing Paths ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kuwabara stayed back, though his curiosity got the better of him. He looked behind him and all around to make sure no one was looking before he jumped over the stone wall. He looked down the well. “Wow, that's pretty deep,” he said.
 
“Watch out, you might fall!” said a high-pitched voice. Kuwabara jumped up and turned around, spirit sword forming in his hand. “Hey! Watch where you swing that thing, Kuwabara!” Botan said, stepping away from the spirit sword.
 
“Botan, what are you doing here?” he asked, dispersing the sword. “Oh, right, you're gonna go with Urameshi and them right?” Botan nodded.
 
“Well I thought you were supposed to go too,” she replied. “I think you should go with them, Kuwabara. I'll stand watch up here. I can reach Koenma faster than you can anyways.”
 
Kuwabara started sweating. “Uh, no thanks Botan, I'll stay up here. I mean what if a demon tries to attack you?” Botan made a hmph sound.
 
“And me going to Demon World would be much safer?” Kuwabara opened his mouth but realized that she had a point. He sat on the edge of the well. Botan got an evil idea… “So I guess we'll just both stay up here.” She inched closer to Kuwabara until she was leaning over the stone wall, arms length away from him. “But you really should go! Be careful, Kuwabara!” She pushed the redhead down the well, giggling when he yelled out at her.
 
“Damn you Botan!!!” The grim reaper giggled and sat back on the stone wall. `I hope this turns out well,' she thought.
 
 
Kai and Atsuko screamed as they roughly fell to the bottom of the well. Atsuko pushed herself up, groaning in pain. The fall had left the two girls with scratches and bruises all over. Atsuko stood up slowly and once she felt that she had steady footing, helped Kai stand up. “What a drop,” she said, sighing. “That's worse than the dropping feeling on roller-coasters! I wonder if they'll follow us down here?”
 
Kai shook her head. “I don't see them up there,” she replied, squinting into the bright opening. “Hello!!” she shouted up the well. She waited a few minutes, and when no one answered, began to climb up the well. “I think they left.”
 
Atsuko hesitated. “Are you sure?” She waited a couple more minutes and shrugged, following closely behind her friend. She heard Kai curse as she lifted herself out of the well. Atsuko followed, asking her friend, “What's wrong?”
 
“I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto,” Kai murmured. She pointed to a tall tree a few hundred feet away from the well that she was sure wasn't there before. Atsuko shook her head.
 
“No way,” she replied, laughing. “We were running through a forest, Kai. You probably just didn't see that tree before we jumped down the well.” The tree towered above all the others in the forest. She had to admit that it was pretty noticeable now that they weren't being chased.
 
The two hopped off the edge of the well and surveyed the area. It looked similar enough, although the stone wall surrounding the well wasn't there. Maybe they just imagined it? But before they had time to think, their eyes caught a glimpse of red rushing toward them. “Damn! Why didn't we stay down there longer?” Atsuko asked. “They probably just hid and waited for us to come out!”
 
Kai positioned herself in a fighting stance. “But there's only one person now,” she replied. “There were four earlier, remember?” The figure in red came quickly at both of them, slicing at the two girls with a sword almost the same size as him. They dodged as quickly as they could, though it was cutting pretty close.
 
Kai, a water demon, formed a liquid sword in her hand that froze into ice. She blocked a few of the strange demon's attacks with her sword, trying to get on the offensive. She hit his sword away for a brief moment and noticed something on his head - “Are those dog ears?” she asked, her eyes wide.
 
The demon jumped back and scowled. “Well I am a dog demon,” he replied.
 
Atsuko giggled. “Only half, apparently,” she said, angering the dog demon. She gasped and jumped away when he attacked, shocked to see the large indent in the ground where she had just been standing. “What kind of sword is that?” The demon smirked.
 
“Tetsusaiga,” he replied. The two girls looked at him, confused. He rolled his eyes and leaned on the hilt of the sword. “Of course two stupid demon girls wouldn't know what Tetsusaiga is.”
 
Atsuko growled in her throat, a ball of fire surrounding her right hand. “Take that back you half-demon mutt!” The two glared at each other, though neither attacked. It seemed they would rather have a battle of name-calling instead.
 
Kai melted her ice sword and relaxed her muscles, sensing the tension dissipate. “Calm down you two,” she said, turning to the dog-demon. “Look, we're not here to harm anyone. We don't even know where we're at, so if you could just tell us how to get back to Unakami Junior High, we'll be out of your fluffy dog ears in a jiff.” The demon's ears twitched at her joke.
 
“What the hell is `Unakami Junior High'?” he retorted, struggling with the last three words. The two girls looked at each other wondering if he was being serious.
 
“Um, it's the middle school right down the street from the shrine here,” Atsuko answered. This time, the dog demon looked confused.
 
“What shrine? There's no shrine here and the only thing sacred is that damn tree,” he replied, pointing to the tall tree the girls were looking at before. “Goshinboku.” They had no words for what was happening. “Now tell me. Who are you?” He lifted his sword again to intimidate them.
 
As Kai started to answer a large burst of energy came up the well, followed by three of the four people that had been chasing them before. “Oh, no,” said the water demon. Her body once again poised itself, ready to defend if necessary.
 
“There's more of you?” asked the dog demon. He growled and ran at the group that had just come through the well, slashing at them with his sword. The shortest of the group, who had strange spiky hair, disappeared, confusing the dog demon. Hiei reappeared behind him, whacking him in the head with the hilt of his own katana. The dog demon knocked out, falling hard onto the ground. The two girls stood frozen in their places.
 
“Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way,” Yusuke said as he cracked his knuckles. “If you tell us who you are and what you're planning then we might just let you go.” He smirked. “But if you don't cooperate, then… Well, I can't guarantee you'll come out in one piece.”
 
Kai blinked and asked very angrily, “What?” She glared at the Spirit Detective. “Look, I don't know who the hell you think you are but we're not causing any trouble. And with that cocky attitude you're the last person I'd cooperate with, so bug off pal!” She turned around and motioned for Atsuko to follow, although the third boy who had long red hair blocked her way.
 
“I suggest you listen to Yusuke,” he said. Something in his eyes seemed dangerous. Kai didn't make a move to run again, although she still refused to answer. Atsuko was getting worried and decided to spill the beans.
 
“Alright, we'll tell you who we are,” the fire demon said. Kai elbowed her in the ribs. She winced and rubbed her side. “It's not like we have anything to hide.” Kai rolled her eyes.
 
“So? We shouldn't answer them because they're rude! First they chase us and now they threaten us if we don't tell them who we are? I will not answer to a big bully like him!” she shouted back, pointing toward Yusuke. The Spirit Detective held up his hands in defense.
 
“Hey, now, what makes you think I'm a bully?!” he asked. Kai began telling him how he was using violence to threaten her and Atsuko into telling his group what they wanted to hear and such. Hiei sighed and jumped up into a tree, lying on a branch.
 
“Wake me up when the fight starts,” he told Kurama. The fox demon laughed and was somewhat glad the tension was fading.
 
“Well, if you have nothing to hide then why not just tell us who you are and why you were in the Human World?” Kurama looked from Kai to Atsuko, expecting an answer this time.
The two girls shrugged and Kai finally gave in though she let Atsuko talk. "I'm Atsuko and this is Kai," said the fire demon, pointing to herself and then to her friend. "Yes, it's true that we're demons from Makai, but we came to the Human World to escape the Demon World. We don't live there to harm humans. Actually…" She paused and looked away. "Um… Our fathers came through the kekkai barrier and raped our human mothers… And once we were born, they abandoned us." She took a deep breath to keep any tears from falling. Kai patted her shoulder, though she too looked hurt. "We were forced to live in Makai, but it's really scary and dangerous there. Kai and I only had each other. You know how it is, two young demon girls…" She trailed off with a half-smile. Yusuke scratched his chin.
“Okay, well then why did you jump immediately down the well that leads back to the Demon World? Is this where you came through to the Human World?” The two girls shook their heads.
 
“No, we came through the Kekkai barrier. We're barely considered B-class demons,” the water demon said with a half-smile. Kurama smiled back.
 
“Don't worry, Hiei's just barely a B-class demon as well,” the redhead replied, pointing up in the tree.
 
“That's a relief!” They laughed for a moment before a grunting sound from the well came to their ears.
 
“Look who decided to join us after all,” Yusuke said, smirking as Kuwabara stumbled over the edge of the well onto the grass. “Demons scare you back home too Kuwabara?”
 
The tall redhead glared at his friend. “Shut up, Urameshi, Botan pushed me down!” he replied. Yusuke laughed.
 
“I knew you wouldn't come on your own, you big scaredy cat!” The two continued to argue, which eventually led to a fist fight and of course, Yusuke once again knocked Kuwabara to the ground. He brushed off his hands and walked back to the two girls. “So do you guys mind telling me where we're at?” He looked around. “This place doesn't look too familiar.”
 
“Actually…” Atsuko began to say, until an old woman walked toward them from the tallest tree, Goshinboku.
 
“Ye are in the year 1500 in Japan,” said the old woman. “Another girl, Kagome, has come from your time. Come, we will explain everything.” She turned to lead the group back into her village before she turned her head to say something else. “And bring InuYasha with you. He's harmless, really.”
 
Yusuke's eyebrows lifted up, but he sensed no evil or strange energy from the old woman. He bent down to pick up the passed out dog-demon and said, “I guess he's InuYasha. What a weird name.”
 
Kuwabara pushed himself up and Hiei rejoined the group as they followed the old woman to her village. The Spirit Detective had a strange feeling that what the old woman said about being in Japan 500 years in the past was true.