InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Crossing Paths ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The old woman led the Spirit Detectives and co. through InuYasha's forest to a small, ancient-looking villate. The four boys stopped as they stepped foot into the village, smelling the stench of human blood. “Something's wrong here,” Yusuke said, trailing behind the others with the still unconscious InuYasha. The old woman, Kaede, gasped and headed straight for her small hut, an unexpected scene before her. She pushed past the villagers crowded around the girl, Kagome.
 
“What happened here?!” she exclaimed. The villagers hung their heads in sorrow.
 
“We're sorry, Lady Kaete. We couldn't stop it,” one said. “A demon came and started attacking the village! Lady Kagome tried to help us drive it away, but her sacred arrows didn't even pierce the monster's skin…” The old woman knelt by the dying girl's side, brushing strands of hair out of her face.
 
Kagome struggled to open her eyes; everything was blurry. She turned her head slightly toward the old woman. “Kaede…” she whispered. “The… jewel…” Kaede shushed her. Kagome tried to lift her hands up to the old woman's face. “It… only got half of the jewel… Take care of this half, okay…?” She gasped and winced, bleeding uncontrollably from her stomach. Kaede took the half of the jewel.
 
“With my life,” she replied. Kagome, the only one to harness the true good power of the sacred jewel, was gone.
 
Another villager spoke up, offering his knowledge on the situation. “Lady Kaede,” said the villager. “Methinks the demon was sent by a stronger being. Its strength wasn't even half that of InuYasha's. The demon, he said that `Naraku' will be back for the other half. It was injured badly when it escaped.” He bowed his head at the old woman. She thought for a moment before thanking the man for his honesty.
 
“Which way did this demon go?” she asked, following a few of the villagers outside. They looked strangely at the group waiting just outside the hut. “They're others like Kagome,” Kaede explained.
 
“It went South,” said a villager, pointing in that direction. The old woman nodded her thanks.
 
“We must get that other half back!”
 
Yusuke raised a brow. “What's the big deal with this jewel thing?” he asked. InuYasha's body had a spasm, causing Yusuke to yelp and drop him to the ground. Kaede sighed. This would be a long night.
 
 
“So lemme get this straight,” Yusuke started. “There's some sacred jewel here, in Japan, 500 years in the past, that you want us to get back before a demon uses it to enhance its powers and take over the world?” He sounded incredulous. Here they were, again, being asked to save the world for nothing in return. Kaede nodded. Yusuke sighed and leaned back on his elbows. “I dunno lady, it's barely been a year since I last saved the world. Dunno if I'm ready to do it again just yet.”
 
Kuwabara nodded, adding, “Yeah, plus you got dog-boy over there lookin' for it already, don'tcha?” InuYasha growled, being awakened from his slumber.
 
“You wanna die, human?!” he asked. But before he could even stand completely up and jump over the bonfire to attack Kuwabara, Kaede commanded `sit boy!' and he fell flat on his face. Everyone laughed.
 
“That will be fun to use later on,” Atsuko commented, still laughing. InuYasha glared at her as he sat back up, sulking. He sniffed the air and caught a familiar scent… Only it was mixed in with blood. His eyes widened and he rushed to Kaede's hut. Something lay underneath a brown cloth. It couldn't be, could it? He knelt by the lump and slowly lifted up the fabric.
 
“Kagome!” he said, leaning his ear to her chest. There was no heartbeat. “No…” He felt water coming to his eyes but would not let the tears fall. He covered her back up and stormed out of the hut. “Who did this?” he asked menacingly. Everyone sat in silence; Yusuke and the gang didn't know their relationship well enough to feel sorry, and Kaede was reluctant to tell him the truth.
 
“A demon,” said the old woman. “A demon sent by Naraku did this to Kagome.” InuYasha looked down, hiding his eyes. He turned around without saying another word and stormed off into his forest.
 
Kurama, who had been almost completely silent, finally spoke up when the half demon was nearly out of sight. “Should we stop him?” he asked Kaede. She shook her head.
 
“Let him go,” said Kaede. “He needs time, but he will be back.”
 
Kurama nodded, then continued. “Lady Kaede,” he said calmly. “We have our own mission in the present world to take care of. Perhaps, we can tell our superiors your story and if granted permission, we will return to your time and help your cause.” Hiei snorted.
 
“Koenma would never approve of this, you know that Kurama,” said the grumpy three-eyed demon. “Besides, he knows exactly what I would do if I got my hands on that jewel.” Kuwabara laughed awkwardly at Hiei's brutal honesty, then came up with an idea.
 
“Why don't we just use Urameshi's compact to call Koenma and see what he says?” he suggested. Yusuke smacked him on the back of the head. “Ow!!!”
 
“Hey, good idea Kuwabara! You're finally at least somewhat useful.” Kuwabara stuck his tongue out at the Spirit Detective for that last comment. Yusuke took out his communicator and pressed the green button. “Hey toddler,” he greeted. “Funny thing happened…”
 
 
After they briefed Koenma on the situation, the little prince ordered Kurama and Hiei to escort Kai and Atsuko to Spirit World while Yusuke and Kuwabara did some more snooping in the village. Hiei wasn't happy about having to babysit two little demon girls, but it was mandatory for him to follow Koenma's orders. Kai and Atsuko looked nervously at one another. “Don't worry,” Kurama said as he smiled. Kai blushed at how handsome he was; she hadn't noticed it before. “Koenma isn't all that bad.” Hiei smirked.
 
“He's a child,” Hiei said. The girls laughed a little.
 
“So how do we get to Spirit World?” Atsuko asked as they followed Kurama back through InuYasha's forest and to the well.
 
“Our companion, Botan, is a guide to the River Styx. She'll be taking you there by oar. Hiei and I will meet you there later, but for now, we have some business to attend to.” The fox demon smiled again. “She has bright blue hair, so you can't miss her. Good luck.” Kai shrugged and carefully made her way down the well. Atsuko stayed back for a moment; those two were up to something… But she put her thoughts aside for the time being, and followed Kai down the well. Once the girls' spirit energy was no longer detectable, Hiei turned to Kurama.
 
“What was that all about? You heard Koenma, we were ordered to escort them,” he said. Kurama suddenly fell to the ground, clutching at his chest.
 
“Since we're in the past, Youko has awakened and…” Kurama groaned. “I believe I'm returning to my previous form.” To prove his point, his bright red hair began to grow longer and turn silvery white; fuzzy fox ears grew from his head and a tail sprouted as well. Youko Kurama was back. The demon stood up, its piercing golden eyes traveling around the forest. He inhaled the fresh air. “Home,” said the fox demon, in an exceptionally deeper voice. Hiei smirked.
 
 
Botan paced around the well, wondering what was taking the detectives so long. She hoped it wasn't anything apocolyptic - that would be more than a disaster! She sighed and sat down on the stone wall. “Oh, my, what am I thinking?” she asked herself. A strange sound came from the well and Botan shrieked, jumping away from it as she grabbed her oar to defend herself. She saw two girls climb over the edge though they seemed harmless. “Who are you?” she demanded. “I won't let you take over the Human World! What have you done with Yusuke?!”
 
Kai and Atsuko looked at each other and then back to Botan. “Um, we're the people that Yusuke and the others followed down the well. But we mean no harm - they called someone named… Koenma, was it? And he told Hiei and Kurama to take us to Spirit World—” Kai said, though Atsuko cut her off.
 
“But those two were up to something fishy and sent us up here to go to Spirit World with you,” the fire demon finished. “I mean, you're Botan, right?” The grim reaper blinked a few times, confused, but then smiled.
 
“Yes I am! Botan, at your service. And if I may ask, what are your names?” Botan replied. Kai and Atsuko introduced themselves. “Okay then! I think we can all fit on my oar…” She set the oar in the air and hopped on, patting behind her. “You should hold on tight, though!” she added with a smile. The two girls laughed but got on and held tightly onto the oar beneath them. “Here we go!!!”
 
 
Kuwabara looked up from his drawing in the dirt as he sensed something different about Kurama's spirit energy. His eyes bulged out when he saw that he was in his fox demon form. “Whoa, Kurama! What happened?!” the tall teenager asked.
 
“Hn,” said Hiei. “We're in the past of the Demon World, causing Kurama to revert back to his rightful form. I thought you'd at least be able to figure that out, dimwit.” Kuwabara made a face but chose to ignore Hiei, for now.
 
“Nice tail, Kurama,” Yusuke joked. “But weren't you guys supposed to take those girls to Spirit World?” The fox demon nodded.
 
“Yes, we were,” he said. “But we have some important matters to discuss. They were only half demons. Yet there is a stranger power within them, I cannot yet tell exactly what. They may be of some use to us, Yusuke.” It was weird seeing their friend in his demon form. They were only used to seeing it during battles.
 
Yusuke thought for a moment and then nodded. “Yeah, I know they can help us. Besides if we're stuck here in the past helping this old hag, the more people we have the better. There's something weird about this place… It kinda creeps me out.” He looked around at the darkening skies. “I sure hope Koenma calls back soon…”
 
The ride to Spirit World was a bit unnerving, but the girls had survived. They now stood in front of a gigantic palace, taller than any skyscraper they had ever seen in the city. It was breathtaking and a little bit creepy. “Botan here, I've got the girls with me!” the blue-haired girl said into a small intercom. The tall, stone doors caused a rumble as they slid open. Kai and Atsuko looked to one another before following Botan down the long, dark halls of the palace.
 
“So this is the palace of the great King Yama,” Kai murmured. “I never thought I'd be here of all places.”
 
“Me either,” Atsuko whispered. They stayed close to one another, scared of what awaited behind the doors that they were approaching.
 
Botan pushed open the doors and bowed. The two girls walked in but saw no one. They looked at each other, confused, then saw a small toddler standing in front of Botan.
 
“Um… I didn't know King Yama was a baby,” Atsuko whispered to Kai.
 
Koenma fumed. “I am NOT King Yama, nor am I a BABY! I'm Koenma, prince of the Spirit World,” replied the small prince. Kai and Atsuko made an “ohhh” sound and laughed it off.
 
“Uh, sorry!” Kai said, bowing. “I'm Kai Mizuno, and this is my friend Atsuko Hino.” Koenma nodded.
 
“Yes, I've read through your files as well as your demon fathers' and human mothers'. Your fathers' files are far worse than your own, but to my knowledge you yourselves have not committed any demonic crimes and have proven yourselves very strong and dependable.” He paused for a moment, seeing if they had anything to say.
 
Atsuko spoke up. “What about our fathers? Can you tell us any information on their whereabouts?” she asked. Koenma sighed.
 
“Well, all of Spirit World's files are confidential. However…” He looked from Atsuko to Kai, feeling their anxiety for revenge against their horrible fathers. He closed his eyes for a moment. “If you agree to help my Spirit Detective, Yusuke, on this mission to close the hole that leads to Demon World - in the past or in the present, it doesn't matter - then I will give you the files you so desire.” Kai thought for a moment, briefly glancing at Atsuko.
 
“I guess it won't kill us to help,” Kai said. “But you swear to King Yama that you'll give us the files?”
 
Koenma flinched, letting out a long breath of air. “Yes, I swear on my father.” He made the sign of a cross, hoping that just saying those words wouldn't curse him for eternity. The girls smiled and bent down to shake on their deal with the little prince.
 
 
Kurama grunted as he climbed over the top of the well, now back on the side of the human world. His silver hair shortened ever so slightly and the fox ears and tail disappeared. Soon he was back in his normal, human form. Hiei made a “hmph” sound. “Shall we?” Kurama asked, leading Hiei back out toward the shrine. They had barely made it out of the forest when Hiei stopped.
 
“I assume you felt that too?” asked the fire demon. Kurama nodded. Hiei jumped to the left as the root of a large tree shot out from underneath where he was previously standing. Kurama tried to move but found that he had been paralyzed. `Hiei! Find who's behind this,' he sent his thoughts to Hiei. The fire demon heard a very quiet chanting of words and disappeared. The chanting stopped, the attacker confused and not knowing where the other demon had gone. Hiei reappeared behind the stranger, kicking her out of the tree onto the ground. He held his sword to her neck, pressing lightly. Kurama, free of paralysis, walked over to the two.
 
The attacker had long, black hair and angry blood red eyes. She looked young, maybe 13 or 14 years old. Hiei narrowed his eyes. “Who are you?” he asked. She looked away.
 
“Give me back my friends and maybe I'll tell you,” she said coldly, wincing when Hiei pressed the blade just a little more into her neck. Kurama put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Wait, Hiei,” he said. “Are you speaking of Kai and Atsuko?” The girl nodded. “You have no need to worry. We haven't harmed them.” She scoffed.
 
“Then where are they?” she spat. Kurama thought for a moment.
 
“We can take you to them, only if you tell us who you are and what you just did. There is no demon energy around you, only spirit energy, though you showed some other kind of power just now.” The girl shook her head. She obviously didn't trust them.
 
“I know that you're demons,” she said. “I don't trust demons.”
 
Hiei smirked. “Well, your friends are demons, too. Do you trust them?” The girl pushed herself off of the ground.
 
“They're different,” she said. “They're not bad demons that harm humans like you do. I know all about both of your pasts.” Kurama was starting to become suspicious of this girl. “You, you're an ancient fox demon. And you're a fire demon banished from his home land.” Within half a second Hiei was already at her throat with his sword, once again.
 
“How do you know this?” Kurama asked, his eyes wide. He had no idea what this girl was.
 
She smiled. “Witchcraft,” she replied. The fox demon raised an eyebrow. Hiei smirked.
 
“Don't make me laugh,” said Hiei. “You're not the only one who can read minds, Maeko. I can see farther into your soul than you can in mine.” The fire demon slid off the cloth covering his third eye. The girl, Maeko, gasped. She felt paralyzed as the demon intruded her mind, through her past and how she became a practicer of witchcraft, how she met the other two girls - everything. She groaned, falling to the ground when he released her. Hiei replaced the cloth around his forehead.
 
“Come with us,” Kurama said, helping her up. “We were just on our way to Spirit World. I assure you, that is where your friends are.”
 
Maeko held her throbbing head as Kurama helped her walk with them. Hiei made a disgusted sound; he didn't like the idea of having another human on their team. Maeko didn't struggle to get away, but she was reluctant to go with these two demons. She knew their strength far exceeded her own so she didn't try to fight back anymore. She was just lucky to have caught them off guard when they got out of that well. She sighed and looked up at the bright blue sky. `I hope they're okay,' she thought.