InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ It's Just a Show ❯ I'm Dead? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Ok, I don't own them. But I wish I did. I would hide Hiei and Sesshomaru in my basement and force them to wear slave clothing and they would be mine. ALL MINE. But that fantasy will never come true.
 
A/N: I do expect reviews for this chapter.
 
It's just a Show
Chapter One: I'm Dead?
By: Ethril Dragon
 
“Actually you're in a comatose state where your soul is detached from your body. I believe humans call it astro projection.” A voice said from the door way. It sounded a little to high and mighty, as if it thought it knew everything. Kagome squinted at the doorway and had to choke back a laugh at what she saw.
 
Floating there was a baby…or at least a toddler.
 
“I wouldn't laugh if I were you,” the girl called Botan warned her.

”Why? Is he some all mighty god or something?” Kagome snickered behind one hand. How could a little kid like that be a god?
 
Koenma's eye twitched and he coughed to keep from loosing his cool. “Back to the subject. Your current state is near death. Your physical form currently lies in a comatose state in a hospital in Tokyo.”
 
Kagome stopped giggling and focused on the small child. She watched him hesitantly. “So I'm not actually dead?”
 
“You were technically dead until the paramedics arrived and resuscitated you. Now your body is lying comatose, while your soul is here. Whether or not you die will be determined by your next decision.”
 
Kagome bit her lip and looked at the toddler. Everyone else showed him some semblance of respect. And well, the large blue ogre did seem rather imposing. Kagome blinked. `Wait…ogre?' She stared at the ogre for a second and then burst out laughing. “Oh I get it. This is all one big joke! Prank Kagome cause she plays a time traveling character on TV!” She held her head and continued to laugh.
 
Yusuke frowned and looked over at Botan. “I told you she wouldn't believe this is happening. Should have just let me handle it.” He sighed. It was bad enough when he had to explain things to his cousin, who actually was training to be a monk. Kagome on the other hand though, was one of the worst non-believes in the world. Things were definitely about to get interesting.
 
Hiei felt his brow twitch. This girl, she wasn't taking her situation seriously. He stood up from where he had been leaning against the wall and walked over to the girl. With each step he took, her laughter grew quieter and she finally fell silent when he stood before her.
 
“This is real girl,” He looked her in the eye for several minutes, of which she stayed silent. He then turned and walked back to where he had been standing before.
 
Kagome was quiet for a long time before she looked down at her hands in shock. So many thoughts ran through her head. If this was real, then why was there a giant blue ogre? Was she really about to die? What was this place anyway? “What decision do I have to make?” She finally asked after thinking for what seemed like eternity.
 
“I believe I need to speak to Higurashi Kagome in private.” Koenma said, eyeing everyone else in the room.
 
Botan was the first to leave, followed by Kuwabara and then Yusuke. The red haired man left, and the last to leave was the strange guy with the white starburst in his hair.
 
Hiei paused and glanced back at the girl. She was irritating, but he felt a small semblance of pity for her. From what he could gather, she had just been getting supplies when she had been attacked by a rogue demon. The demon hadn't even known her or of her television stardom. He would have said sorry, that he felt bad she was having the worst day of her life, but Koenma gave him a look that told him to get out now.
 
Kagome leaned forward, pulling her legs up into her arms. “How did I die?” she asked softly, her eyes wide and staring into nothing.
 
Koenma sighed. He knew this was going to be her first question. “Your attacker was a demon. Right after he hit you in the head, he grabbed you and started strangling you,” Koenma paused. “Are you sure you want to hear the rest of the details?”
 
Kagome nodded mutely.
 
“Well. He was using you as a shield to keep Yusuke and his team from sending the demon back into the Makai,” Koenma paused, expecting Kagome to say something. Seeing that she stayed silent, he continued. “The result of your death was unplanned and unpredicted.”

“In other words I wasn't supposed to die?” Kagome asked hopefully.
 
Koenma nodded sagely. “And that brings me to the decision you have to make.”
 
Kagome sat forward eagerly. She would make any deal if it meant going home. She paused. “But if I wasn't supposed to die, shouldn't you just send me back now? If my body is still alive then it should be easy for me to go back.” She said, trying to remember some of the nonsense she had learned from working on her television show. Some of it had to be based on reality.
 
Koenma shook his head. “It is not as easy as that,” he said as the hopefully look faded from Kagome's eyes. “With the return of your soul, your sleeping reiki will begin to develop. I cannot allow a human to wonder the world with uncontrolled reiki,” Koenma paused dramatically. “And so, to regain your life you must agree to be trained by Yusuke and his team.”
 
“That's all?” Kagome asked slowly. “I just need to agree to be trained?”
 
“Oh and do a few errands here and there. I understand that you're very busy what with the television show you star on and your college.” Koenma said with a negligible shrug. Of course, he thought mischievously, what he thought errands were and what Kagome thought errands were, were two very different conceptions.
 
Kagome frowned as she thought this over for a few minutes. “Just a few errands, to like pay off my life dept?” She wanted to make sure she wasn't being conned into anything she would never be able to get out of.
 
Koenma looked at the girl for a second. “The only way to pay off a life dept is to give up your life.”
 
Kagome growled in frustration. “Then what is it I'm really agreeing too? And don't play games with me; I'm getting a minor in Law!”
 
Koenma sighed. He had hoped this would be easier. “By returning to your body, you are agreeing to become an employee if you will. Your life will belong to me in a way. You won't actually owe me your life, but I can send you on errands in the human world. Your life won't be disrupted too much.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I suppose that's the best explanation you're going to give me?”
 
Koenma nodded and placed his hands behind his back. “You will get to choose who trains you at what time, as long as it doesn't conflict with their schedules.”

“And when you say they you mean Yusuke and his friends?”
 
“Precisely.”
 
Kagome thought for a minute and then nodded. Considering her situation, what Koenma was offering her was better then she could have hoped for. Once she considered all the ramifications and the possibility of staying dead. Who would take care of her parents and future sibling? “I'll do it.”
 
“Wonderful! If you will now follow me, I will have Botan take you back to your body.” Koenma started floating off in a hurry, forcing Kagome to jump up and follow him.
 
Right outside the door stood Yusuke and his companions. Botan was nowhere to be seen. “Botan is back at my office.” Koenma said as Kagome made her observation.
 
As they continued down the hallway, Yusuke caught up with her. “What'd he offer you?” He asked in a hushed voice. Hiei turned his attention to the girl and Yusuke.
 
Kagome looked at her friend's cousin closely. She remembered something Miroku had said about his cousin finally finding a job. “He said that to be taken back to my body I would have to be trained by you guys, and agree to do errands for him every now and then in the human world.
 
Yusuke moaned softly. `Great, she just got suckered into a deal like I did.' Sometimes he wondered what it would have been like if he had agreed to stay dead.
 
Hiei felt like chuckling. He knew what Yusuke was thinking, that Kagome was going to be stuck in a lifelong deal of following orders from Koenma. He frowned slightly. `What do you think of this girl fox?'
 
Kurama looked over at his shorter friend. `I have not made any assumptions yet. I feel sorry for her though.' Hiei nodded.
 
It wasn't long until the group was standing in Koenma's office. Botan stood off to one side with her ore.
 
“Alright Botan, go ahead and take Kagome back to the Ningenkai.” Botan nodded and sort of hopped onto her ore.
 
“Climb aboard Kagome. We'll be there faster than you can quote from the `Wizard of Oz'.” Botan said with a huge grin. Kagome hesitantly climb up after her. Before she even felt remotely comfortable, they were off. Kagome bit back a scream.
 
Yusuke watched them go and then turned to Koenma angrily. “I swear kid, if you mess with Kagome you're going to be in big trouble!” Kagome was his cousins friend, and thus made her almost family.
 
Koenma rolled his eyes. “For right now, all she has to do is train. Instead of sending her away for training, I've agreed to have you lot train her.” Koenma grinned from the shocked and angry expressions from the group.
 
`I thought she had been joking about that.' Yusuke thought in surprise.
 
“You'll each have a chance to train her,” Koenma continued, ignoring the looks he was currently receiving. “Hiei you'll be first once Kagome is back on her feet and recovered.”
 
Hiei didn't say or do anything, but Kurama could feel the anger rolling off his friend. `This will definitely be interesting.'
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I think I might stick to shorter chapters with this story compared to my other stories with longer chapters. Maybe when I get more into the flow of things I'll be able to write more. Meh. We'll see.
 
Thanks everyone that read the prologue and reviewed it!