InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Left Behind ❯ Does Anyone Care? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't Inuyasha, Evanescence: Solitude, nor Johnny Depp. This story is mine though.
 
Last Time in Chapter Two
 
Last Time
 
 
Botan sat behind Kagome having a silent panic attack as she held down the young woman the best she could. What could you be dreaming about? Whispering into the young woman's hair she made a promise to herself and the stranger. “I promise that I won't hurt you ever.”
 
 
Kagome eyes shot open instantly as sobs wracked her body. Frightened of the arms that encircled her, she laid as still as she could. Noticing the difference Botan stroked the other female's hair in a loving matter hoping to calm her.
 
 
Chapter Three: Does Anyone Care?
 
 
Better to have and not need than to need and not have. One can only want so much but need so little. When a reason to move on arises she'll push to continue on.
 
 
Inuyasha waved her over to him, but as soon as she was in arms reach he snatched her by the neck and lifted up into the air.
 
 
“Don't you ever talk about her like that, ever.” Squeezing her neck to get his point across to the person he had once said he `loved'. The thing that terrified her most was that he was calm. Tears fell as freely as rain as she was tossed aside like yesterdays trash.
 
 
“Stupid Copy.” He left her crying and stunned only to go back to a mere image of a woman.
 
 
Jolting up in pure terror she let out a tormenting scream of angst. Everyone ran into the room only to discover Kagome in a fetal position sobbing. Yusuke's rough voice broke through the unnerving silence, “Well she definitely not mute.” They stood there quietly watching as sobs turned to hiccups until sleep demanded her presence in a restless sanctuary.
 
 
Botan blew out a soft breath while making her way to the bedside. `If I could I'd even protect you from your nightmares, but how do you protect a person from themselves?' Threading her fingers throughout the woman's long hair she glanced up at Koenma and the Spirit Detectives. “How do you protect a person from themselves?” Her soft-spoken question fell upon deaf ears.
 
 
Coughing in his hand Koenma acquired everyone's attention. “This is the young woman you must protect. Apparently she has ghosts from the past, memories or not they're there.” It was creepy. He wasn't lying. The evidence before them was clear as untouched water.
 
 
In Kagome's Dream
 
 
Two people were sitting by a river watching the fish dart by. Kagome watched them concealing her scent with whatever little power she could muster hiding behind a bush.
 
 
The two people remained oblivious to her presence as they continued to talk. “I'll kill the stupid whore when the jewel is completed.” Inuyasha's distinct jagged voice tore through her. Her heart constricted with held back sobs that wanted to shake her body. How could her friends turn on her? She backed away from the scene before her.
 
 
How many times have you told me you love her
As many times as I've wanted to tell you the truth
How long have I stood here beside you
I live through you
You looked through me
 
 
Standing in front of the God Tree Kagome tried to convince Inuyasha of the up coming trouble. “Inuyasha please listen to me, I love you. Can't you see that? I would never purposely hurt you, but Kikyo is lying to us …. to you. She says that she wants to destroy Naraku except she has been meeting with Kagura these past two weeks.
 
 
“I'm telling the truth Inuyasha and you know it! Everyone is making a change for the worse. Don't let this change complete itself.” Tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of how it used to be here.
 
 
Inuyasha waved her over to him, but as soon as she was in arms reach he snatched by the neck and lifted up into the air. “Don't you ever talk about her like that ever.” Squeezing her neck to get his point across to the person he had once said he `loved'. The thing that scared her most was that he was calm. Tears fell as freely as rain as she was tossed aside like yesterdays trash. “Stupid Copy.” He left her crying and stunned only to go back to a mere image of a woman.
 
 
Nothing but mere mishap of a copy that was all she was. How could she ever compare to Kikyo. The very thought was ludicrous. She wasn't strong, beautiful, and confident like Kikyo.
 
 
All she was….
 
 
She was just a….
 
 
Unwanted creation by Kami.
 
 
How many times have I done this to myself
How long will it take before I see
When will this hole in my heart be mended
Who now is left alone but me
 
 
Out of Kagome's Dream
 
 
Kagome was shivering violently under the heavy blankets. With every second that past her skin began to pale and breathing was faster. Kurama's eyes widened when he finally noticed what was happening to her. “We need to help her and fast.” Running over to the woman he checked her breathing and pulse.
 
 
“Botan where is your restroom?” Botan's hand shook with emotions as she pointed beside her to the cherry stained wood door on the far left. Kurama looked upon everything in her room. “Kuwabara go get a cold wet a towel. Yusuke please go check for an type of fever-“
 
 
“Fever medication won't work Kurama.” Koenma's cold voice stopped the next command from leaving Kurama's mouth.
 
 
Hiei looked on in morbid amusement as Kurama and Koenma stared at one another with unsuppressed annoyance. Flaring golden eyes studied Koenma's face looking for a sign of emotion. “You want us to protect her, yet you won't allow us to help her?” He asked.
 
 
Kuwabara handed Botan the wet rag. “She's still dead, Youko. Yes, that is her body and it is moving, but its all imitation. It's the souls natural reaction to try and live.” Jr. explained.
 
 
The room had remained silent, everyone trying to grasp onto what he had just said. Yusuke punched his right hand in frustration. “That makes no sense, Koenma.”
 
 
A groan of aggravation escaped Koenma's lips as he leaned himself against one of the powder blue walls. “To put it simply as possible, she's a mere illusion that doesn't even know she is. Because of that she and the mind think that they must breathe to survive.”
 
 
Worried faces glanced at the young woman hoping for the best, except Hiei. Tears glittered the rim of her eyes causing Kagome to look like a defeated Goddess of Peace. Ready and willing to shed her last tears and return to the heavens in death.
 
 
In Kagome's Dream
 
 
Kagome sat on the outskirts of Keade-babas village watching the clouds go by. Hearing one of the messengers yell she turned her attention to the village below. The message was undecipherable at first, but as soon as the message was understandable she wished she never heard it. “Lady Kikyo and Inuyasha are mated! Lady Kikyo and Inuyasha are mated! Lady Kikyo and Inuyasha are mated!” they yelled.
 
 
Her mouth tasted bitter and salty. Something was running down her lip. She wiped her hand across her face hoping to get rid of it only causing it to spread. Pain encased her mouth. Air came in short pants. An unforgiving hand squeezed her fragile heart.
 
 
The words echoing in heart and mind, “Lady Kikyo and Inuyasha are mated!” Words spoken with such joy caused such a massive outburst of angst within her. The yells of congratulations filled the air taking misplaced hope away. Her misplaced hope of a future with Inuyasha.
 
 
With an instinct born of animalistic fear she ran. Visions of Kikyo and Sango's earlier taunting assaulted her mind; blinding her from the pain of being scratched, cut, and bruised while running. She stopped in her tracks collapsing onto a bed of soft grass. Eyes throbbing with the pain of a thousand bee stings, lips cracked and bleeding, and nose clogged she shook her head wildly trying to get the words to get out of her head.
 
 
Did she really deserve all this pain? Was she paying for the sins of her past life? But it didn't make since shouldn't her other be paying for their own sins? Maybe she did deserve all this. She was the one who shattered the jewel and the others made sure she'd in no way forget that. Kami hated her. He didn't know why he even made her. `That's why all this is happening to me!' She yelled in her mind.
 
 
She was hyperventilating. Her small figure trembled violently as her emotions got the best of her. With the biggest intake of air she could get she screamed.
 
 
No one loved her. No one cared. If she died right now no one would cry over her grave. And it was true, her second family had forsaken her, even Keade-baba favored Kikyo. She may not have said it but she showed quite clearly. Someone who she thought of as a grandmother abandoned her. Dull spots of gray invaded her vision until whatever it was that kept it back collapsed leaving her in a void of pain.
 
 
Out of Kagome's Dream
 
 
“How is it than that she can cry as well as produce those type of tears?” Kurama asked.
 
 
“Yeah, you say she's dead and I kind a get the whole illusion thing, but you were just holding onto her tears a second ago.” Kuwabara said.
 
 
“This is why I say to you all take this assignment seriously or you might just doom all of all of the living.
 
 
Much to the surprise of everyone Kagome's hands sparked to life grabbing the arm beside her. Through all the pain in her she squeezed one name out her parched lips. “Inuyasha”
 
 
What they didn't hear or know was that there was more to be said than just a name. Chaos is just one of the many words that could describe the young woman's mind. Memories collided with nightmares creating a playground that the Devil himself would be proud to claim.
 
 
Kagome's Dream
 
 
She continued to close her eyes and pray that they would forget about her. All the cruel and demeaning words encased her in a large cocoon of despair and self-loathing.
 
 
Inuyasha: If you weren't so stupid the jewel would have never been broken.
Sango: It's your fault that Naraku has become so powerful.
Shippou: I wish I would have never met you.
Kikyou: All you do is cry. It's pathetic, but than again you're pathetic.
 
 
And the list continued in an unfaltering loop as her cocoon closed in on her. Her friends' voices selfishly consuming what little air she had. In less than a minute she was being squeezed and suffocated to death.
 
 
Everyone leaves me stranded
Forgotten, abandoned, left behind
I can't stay here another night
 
 
What was her reason for living again? If she died would anyone miss her? It was all her fault after all. Who could care for a person who was responsible for so many people's hardships or deaths?
 
 
Sango: Kagome it's your entire fault!
Shippou: You're such a loser.
Inuyasha: Who could love a whore like you?
Miroku: Maybe if we ignore her she'll go away.
 
 
With The Others
 
 
Nothing seemed to be working.
 
 
Her trembling stopped moments before color left her cheeks.
 
 
Seconds ticked by and color washed away from her skin. Lips once soft red took on the chilly blue of a frozen ocean. Her limbs lay motion list except for the slow beating of her heart. The scent of fresh rain was thick in the air by her tears. She was close to death and no one could do anything. What could any one do if a person chose to hold onto death? Wait and see if death took the offering.
 
 
`Pathetic ningen.' Hiei thought to himself. (AN: That was kind of random, but in character of Hiei.)
 
 
Kagome's Dream
 
 
`I'm sorry. I wish I could help you guys out more. Maybe I am more useful dead.' She shut her eyes wishing she could do something. The voices were unmerciful and unceasing to the unfortunate miko.
 
 
Sango: Go back home all ready!
Inuyasha: You're nothing but a crummy excuse for a copy.
Shippou: Every time I look at you my stomach wants to heave.
 
 
`Does anyone care?' A picture flashed in head to fast for her to make it out. The only thing she could get was of the color blue. `Why the color blue?' It flashed again of a blue haired woman. `Does she care?' With that a full-blown picture of a blue-haired woman appeared. (AN: Guess Who?)
 
 
Ooh, Can't you see
All along it was me
How can you be so blind
As to see right through me
 
 
“Kagome.” A soft whisper came to her ear going unnoticed though as the voices became louder and more scornful.
 
 
The Others
 
 
Her body temperature is almost nonexistent. Skin that was soft and porcelain matched now clammy, cold sweat cover, and could only match the dead. Rose blush turned to blue ice.
 
 
How ironic is it that the Grim Reaper sat next to her wishing for life for a stranger at death. Holding onto her tightly to the well-made illusion, Botan desperately discharged her powers into Kagome's soul. She only hoped that the extra energy would allow enough time for the young priestess to.
 
 
She felt useless the only thing she could do was keep her Kagome's energy up, but how long could she keep this up? The only way that she would survive would be to want to live. What reason was that though?
 
Oh the irony, The Grim Reaper weeping over the loss of a soul soon to become merged with the dead.
 
 
Kagome's Dream
 
 
“Kagome.” It was still soft yet louder than before. She turned her head to look for the person but no one was there.
 
 
Opening her mouth she tried to call out to the person. Nothing came out of it. Scared she held her throat attempting to take a breathe but failing. Franticly search for help in the black abyss only to find no one. Was her mind playing tricks on her? Did she herself give hope only to have it backfire?
 
 
“Kagome!” Something snapped. Just like that she could breathe. `What was going on? Who was doing this to her? Who was calling her! Who was that blue-haired woman! Why was this happing to her!!!'
 
 
Screaming as loud as she could she say the one thing that she knew for sure. “ALL I WANT TO DO IS JUST GO HOME!!!” Everything went blank. Her cocoon dissolved. Leaving her where she sat crying. Feeling completely exhausted both mentally and physically. A hand gently rested itself on her shoulder startling her.
 
 
“Kagome.” Jerking her head to the unexpected calling she looked at Mordiko. The woman swooped down engulfing the young woman in a warm embrace. “Child you had me scared there for a second. I thought I had lost you again.” The woman who seemed invincible sounded scared. So did that mean she cared?
 
 
The young woman wrapped her arms around the other drawing comfort from her. “What happened?” Kagome asked.
 
 
Mordiko withdrew herself from Kagome grabbing her hands as she went. “They were the demons who hunt you from your past. My child I must tell you something.” She seated herself straight across from her looking her in the eyes. “You will have to deal your past and move on. But Kagome those from the past were foolish to believe all that glitters is gold. They were consumed with greed making up a fool's paradise with fool's gold. If you don-” The floor gained all of Kagome's attention.
 
 
Mordiko took her chin in her hand gently lifting up Kagome's face. “If you don't confront your demons soon Kagome you'll have allowed them to ruin all good things that would have come your way. There won't be another second.”
 
 
Giving away at the sigh that longed to come out of her mouth she traced the lines in Kagome's hands. Their background had changed into a beautiful orange and blue sunrise.
 
 
`All that glitters is not gold. Kagome, child you have the support that you need you just chose to not see it.' Mordiko thought. “It wouldn't be fun if life was so easy. Now wake up and see your family. Until next time my child.” She leaned over kissing Kagome's forehead.
 
 
With Kagome in Reality
 
 
Kagome stirred from her sleep as water gently rained down on her face. Where am I? Opening her eyes she came face to face with the woman from her dream. Did she care? “Do you care about me?” Botan bit her tongue nodding her head to the question.
 
 
Peeping around the room Kagome found herself being gazed at by everyone. Paranoia grasped onto her. Hastily she pushed closer burying her head into Botan's stomach. Fear of the strangers that surrounded her and the woman holding her caused her body to quiver. She knew that two were demons, one human and fox, one high-spirited, and the others unknown and wanted nothing to do with them.
 
 
Unnoticed to her she was in a pool of crystal tears with hollow fillings. Eyelashes sparkled with crystal chips on them. Her eyelids tented a well-nigh subtle blue. Lips transformed into a look of blue lip-gloss cover. Gentle sky blue tipped her nails.
 
 
Koenma knew what that meant. Despite the fact that she is strong by herself it's still impossible for a soul to maintain human form without showing some signs of death. The color blue symbolized that she was still not officially living. Just by being able to touch her showed that she is immensely powerful. He would have to hand over the jewel to the young woman soon.
 
 
Death had a tug a war with her soul and another. He was sure it had to do with Mordiko. She wouldn't be happy if he hesitated handing over the jewel. There probably be hell to pay if not and he wasn't about to gamble with that. It'll have to be handed to her in the next twenty-four hours.
 
 
A low whisper made route to Botan's ear. “I want to go home, please.” Without even knowing it Kagome had given herself a reason to live.
 
 
END OF CHAPTER THREE
 
AN: Hope you all enjoyed the update. I apologize it took so long, but classes started back up today. Please Review!