InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost the Real Dream ❯ Shaken Perceptions ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of Sengoku Otogizoushi - InuYasha or Yuu Yuu Hakusho. InuYasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan, Viz Media, ShoPro Entertainment, and Shounen; while Yuu Yuu Hakusho belongs to Togashi Yoshihiro, Shueisha, Viz Media, and Shounen. No profit or money of any kind is made from this fan-created crossover.


* ~ * ~ *


Title: Lost the Real Dream

Chapter 11: Shaken Perceptions


* ~ * ~ *



She waited until it was almost time for her to leave to say something to Kaede and Inuyaska. After all the chairs had been put up and the counters and cooking implements had been cleaned, she approached Kaede. She wondered how they would take the knowledge of knowing she would be gone for a week. It almost made her feel like she was abusing their kindness, going on vacation after working for them for only half-a-year.

"Be there something ye need, child?" Kaede's question caused her to smile softly even though her guilt flared up all the more.

Steeling her resolve, Kagome nodded, "Yes. I just wanted you to know that next week, I'll be going on vacation for a week."

Inuyaska stared at her with curiosity as did Kaede, "Where're ya going?"

"I was invited to a tournament by someone who once knew me. He said he knew who I was and it would be better if he showed me instead of tell me about my past... I couldn't afford to pass up this opportunity."

Kaede and Inuyaska shared an uneasy look, one that unsettled Kagome. Perhaps accepting his invitation was not one of her better ideas. "What be that man's name?"

"H, he said it was Naraku," Kagome said.

They shared another look, one that held knowledge and displeasure. It almost seemed like they knew who he was, which would then mean that they possibly knew who she was. Which just didn't make any sense and caused her head to spin.

"Keh, do whatever the hell you want!" Inuyaska said before heading back into the back room.

Kaede sighed heavily, appearing too old for the news Kagome had just told them. "Alright, child. But be warned, not all who offer help are to be trusted, nor are all answers to be pleasant."

"What do you mean by that Kaede-obaasan?"

Yet Kaede only waved her off and out the door, "Head on home already child, before ye mother starts to worry. We shall see you back here in two weeks, ye will need this week to get ready for ye trip. Remember to have fun."

Before Kagome could utter a protest she found herself outside the little ramen shop and the door locked behind her. For an old woman, she sure moved incredibly fast. There was nothing she could do but use the extra week to pack up a few things and spend some time with Shiori and her fiancée. She never noticed the soft glow the bauble hanging around her neck had been giving off, and it soon faded as did the thoughts of Naraku and the mysterious reactions of Inuyaska and Kaede.

"This not be good," Kaede muttered as she watched Kagome walk off.

Inuyaska stood behind her, "Yeah, but there ain't much we can't do about it at the moment. We never expected something like this."

"Yet we should have," Kaede said. "Tomorrow, ye should get in touch with Shippou while I contact the others. We shall only step in at the last moment."

"Why? In case that bastard somehow grew a "kind and caring heart towards humans" while he was gone for five-hundred fucking years!?"

An one-eyed glare from the old woman had shivers crawling up Inuyaska's spine. "Speak to me that way again and ye'll soon find yourself stuck that way forever. I say that because sometimes the best way to catch a menace is to let it have what it desires."



* ~ * ~ *



She felt miserable after the boat-ride. There was just something so different and almost inhuman surrounding the crew and Naraku, but she couldn't put her finger on what. There was something deep inside her memories that was tugging at her brain and heart, trying to tell her something, but she had no clue as to what it was. Though, in truth, she did know what it was, however it clashed with what she thought she knew about the world. Demons couldn't exist, could they?

After all, they were nothing more than fairy tales and legends people like her Jiichan told others to teach them some sappy moral lesson. Yet everything was telling her that no, demons did truly exist. For some reason, it didn't sound as outlandish as she first thought and almost like she already knew it. Thinking about it all hurt her head more so than it already did. There was something in the air that caused all her senses and her entire body to be on edge, as if it knew something she did not.

For the third time since accepting the invitation from Naraku, Kagome told herself that this was a very bad idea. She wanted to go back home and wallow in her ignorance. Though if she did that, she knew she would never be able to live with herself. This was possibly the one and only chance she would get to reclaim her past no matter how bad a feeling this entire situation left with her.

That feeling only grew as she walked through the empty halls carrying only a small suitcase as she headed into the main arena. Naraku had told her that he didn't book her a room, only a seat for the rest of the tournament because she would find some very familiar faces among those participating. He didn't tell her who she would find, only that they would be more than willing to let her use one of their rooms.

"Sirs, please calm down! We're going to start the second part!"

Kagome breathed a sigh of relief at hearing the announcer's voice, finally having an indication she was heading in the right direction. However, the next words she heard caused her heart to be lodged in her throat.

"Urameshi versus Mashotsukai!"

Desperation seized control of her body as she ran blindly ahead, trying to make it to the arena to see what was happening. If Yusuke was there, then Shuichi probably was as well along with Kazuma and Hiei. What were they doing at a martial arts tournament like this?

"And here is the Mashotsukai team!"

She pushed open the doors separating her from what was happening in the tournament and soon found herself swarmed with knowledge and sights she didn't want. Everywhere she looked there were creatures of such size and appearance that she could find nothing human about most of them. Chants of death for the Urameshi team filled the air along with the scent of blood and death. Just what had she gotten herself into?

And down in the arena she could see her little step-brother, Yusuke, Hiei, Kurama and a masked fighter standing together. They all looked beaten and tired, with most of them exhausted. Though Kazuma was worse off, he was the only one of them unconscious. She didn't want to know what had happened, she just wanted them to live.

Her entire body shook from worry, stress, and some supernatural sense that surrounded her. It was almost too much for her to take, but she managed to endure it. The air changed as it was filled with shouts about a contender that had just appeared, a master of wind called Jin.

"Choose the rules of your combat!"

Fear gripped her heart as she saw Yusuke staring down the red-headed male...who had a horn in his forehead!? Words had been exchanged, she was sure, but she couldn't hear it above the shouts.

"Here we are, the rules have been decided! The body to body!"

Kagome walked forward, completely forgetting about her seat and headed towards the end of the tier she was on. She needed to see what was happening more clearly, she needed to see with her own eyes that they would be fine and walk away from this.

"Before the start," a different announcer came on to say catching everyone's attention, "we're going to proceed with a quick medical examination. The team is going to confront two opponents at a stretch. We must ask that you be patient while the examination is conducted. Thank you."

She wasn't the only one watching in confusion as a seductive young woman appeared and pulled Hiei and the masked fighter away. Something about that woman screamed deceit to Kagome, and she could only hope that someone else noticed it as well. It didn't seem luck was with them as it soon became apparent that they were held in the small medical tent by a barrier or some sort of spell.

Her hopes of seeing them all walk away were fading fast. They should have been alerted when she didn't even give Kazuma a second glance and he was clearly more wounded than any of them. Tears began to gather in her eyes as another announcement came on.

"After examination, Hiei and the masked fighter are declared unable to fight, they will submit to appropriate medical treatment!"

She couldn't bear to watch the arena anymore. Everything was starting to blur together. She had been so stupid to take Naraku's invitation! This was no place for her, and no place for her to remember any of her memories. Really, what had she been hoping to accomplish by coming here?

"Let's go! Kurama versus Gama!"

...Kurama? Wasn't that what Yusuke and Kazuma sometimes called Shuichi? Ignoring the chants of death towards Kurama, Kagome brought her head up to look at the arena. Though she didn't want to watch, she couldn't find the strength to look away at seeing her little brother, bruised, tired and wearing torn clothes standing up against a demon with paintbrushes.

It was with morbid awe that she watched the demon call Gama paint weird designs all over his body, pulling forth his aura and increasing his power. Her heart once again jumped into her throat as she saw him speed towards her little brother, fully intent on landing a deadly blow on him. Her knuckles turned white as she gripped the railing in front of her tightly as Kurama jumped out of the way, only to not see Gama also change direction and head towards him again.

At the last second, and with a feat only available to a martial artist, Kurama managed to dodge the punch Gama once again tried to land on him. As much as she hated fighting, she wished he would start to fight back and end the match soon. She didn't think she could stand watching him get hurt.

Kagome leaned heavily against the railing after Gama somehow managed to land an attack with his paintbrushes. She wasn't entirely sure what happened, but she knew something had. Kurama wasn't evading as quickly as he once had.

"Gama has cast a spell on Kurama! Kurama is in a critical condition!"

She closed her eyes tightly as she watched Gama rush towards her little brother with his paint brushes. It was too much for her to watch and she didn't think she was strong enough to see what had happened to him.

"Kurama is completely immobilized! Will it end soon?"

Despite how much she didn't want to look or to know, she found herself once again looking upon the arena to see Kurama immobilized and his opponent closing in for the kill. Kagome held her breath in trepidation and tried to find the strength to steel herself against what seemed to be inevitable. Yet no one was expecting what happened next.

A deadly looking whip appeared in his hair and managed to cut Gama before he attacked. She had never seen her little brother look so cruel and unforgiving before, and she would be lying if she said it didn't terrify her. Her sweet, polite little brother was proving everything she thought she knew about him wrong. But she couldn't hate him. She just couldn't. If she had been him, she would have said nothing about this other life because it had no place in the world they lived in.

Her minute relief was soon destroyed as she saw Gama continue on with his attacks. How could anyone want to win a battle so badly that they would continue fighting on despite the life-threatening wounds and despite the blood that fell all the more freely with each movement? And when he fell from the blood loss and the announcer started the count, she felt about to relax. Her trembling had stopped at some point, but her fear and anxiety caused cold sweat to cover her entire body. Now she only trembled from the cold. Even though it all seemed like something from her dreams.

When Kurama didn't move and even more strange seals appeared on his body, her fear came back. What had happened down there? Why wasn't he getting off the platform? His opponent was dead, the paint seals should be gone! Yet they weren't, and Kagome's breath came in panicked pants as she watched another opponent get on the platform to face off against her sealed brother.

"No.. Please, Shuichi... This can't be happening!" she whispered as her vision began to blur. There was too much happening, far too much stress and anxiety. So many things felt familiar to her, yet she didn't know why. Why did she even accept the invitation!

Her grip loosened on the railing as she crumpled to the ground. So much was happening that she didn't want to ever see. She didn't even want to consider the possibility that she might possibly lose another brother. And that would truly break her already broken heart. As the second match started, Kagome slipped into unconsciousness where most people were comforted with dreams. Only her dreams were hardly ever comforting.



~ * ~ * ~


She watched as a silver-haired man was held immobile in a field of flowers. A monk stood before them, his face revealing his black heart to her eyes. While she didn't know what he had done to her friend, it caused fear to grip her heart. It seemed even in her dreams she couldn't escape the feelings she felt while awake.

"Just as I thought... Your soul is deteriorating."

Kagome shivered at the cruel voice. She didn't want to know what that meant for the half-demon she loved.

"Your pain was transmitted to me... Through the vines and pollen. She's dead, isn't she. The woman you loved most in all the world."

Those words tore at her heart. She would've cried if she had any tears left to cry. On the night Kikyou died, she cried her last tears. But it still didn't lessen the pain in her heart at hearing those words. She loved him, but his heart would always belong to her.

"So depressing, isn't it. That you'd wish to die just to follow after her."

"Shut up!!"

The vines tightened around his legs and her fear and pain gripped her heart even tighter.

"Your soul will have the finest flavor."

She ran forward as her friend was pulled into the field of flowers, his silver hair and ears the last things to disappear.

"I-.."

She bolted upright, moaning in pain when her hand connected painfully with the metal railing. The demons around her looked at her strangely, not wanting to mess with an obviously mentally unstable human woman. Not to mention they would be unable to kill her, humans could only be killed in the matches. They didn't want to test their luck especially with the news that KoEnma was watching the tournament.

With tears falling freely from her eyes at the dream she could barely make sense of, she picked up her suitcase and ran back out. She didn't want to be there anymore. She just wanted to see her little brother and know that he was fine, along with Yusuke and all her other friends.



* ~ * ~ *



I was so glad to read the reviews the last chapter got. I truly enjoyed them as they let me see how much you all were really into this story! I know many of you know that Naraku is going to pull a few tricks and you would be correct, but I'm not going to reveal exactly what he's going to do or why he invited Kagome to the tournament because that would spoil the fun (well, my fun at least). And I am so glad to know so many of you enjoyed the previous chapter, and I hope this one is just as good!

And I am so terribly sorry about the incredibly long wait for this chapter... I mean, I know exactly what's going to happen -- I have it all planned out! -- but the whole brain-to-hand thing just wasn't working for this chapter. I just couldn't figure out how to write the scenes I wanted to write... (Sigh) This is why I need a beta/co-writer/someone who will help me write out/talk about scenes I have issues with... But I did warn that this may happen sometimes (quite) a few chapters ago.

Also, I have decided that instead of putting up a sequel to this story, instead I'm just going to separate it into two parts. Part I is Lost the Real Dream, Part II will be called Beyond the Dreams, and they will be separated by the prologue to Part I: Behind the Dream. They will all be one story, not broken up into three.

Reviewer Responses:

HeartStar: Yes, Naraku is definitely very slimey. And he will be incredibly evil in this story, I'm sure most people will absolutely hate him in a couple of chapters. And thank you for the review!

yusukekuramasgirl: And you would be correct. Trouble is definitely coming with a capital T and an exclamation point! Oh, I know. I'm being so horrible to Kagome in this story with everything I'm throwing at her. I'm sorry this chapter took so long to get out. Also, thanks for reviewing!

SKnFS: I was starting to wonder if maybe you didn't like my story anymore, but I'm glad that wasn't the case! I'm glad I surprised you with Naraku's appearance, I was kind of hoping to surprise people with him appearing and being falsely concerned. I can't answer most of your questions because it'll spoil the coming chapters, but most, if not all, of them will be answered within two to three chapters. Inuyaska/Inuyasha and the others will definitely make a much greater push into the story, once again within a couple of chapters but that it all I'll say on it. I hope I managed to meet your expectations for this chapter, and I was glad to see you updating some of your stories as well! I hope you manage to get more done on them before heading off, and I wish you the best of luck heading off to Iraq. That really can't be easy. And thank you for the wonderful review.

LadyNorth76: I'm glad to hear you love this fanfic! I hope I didn't make you wait too long for this chapter, and that you enjoyed it. Thanks for reviewing!

loretta537: Thank you, I'm glad to know you think it's good so far. And her memory will most likely be returning soon. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reviewing!