InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Miko in Makai ❯ Chapter One - The New Case ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I own nothing but the plot I created, bending the characters to my will.
 
PLEASE ENJOY!
 
Chapter One - The New Case
 
Kurama and Hiei were waiting patiently...well, at least in the fox's case, in Lord Koenma's office awaiting their missing team members so they could all be briefed on this new mission.
 
'And it was turning out to be such a quiet day,' Kurama thought with some regret. As if on cue, a familiar portal opened and unceremoniously dumped Yusuke and Kuwabara on the floor.
 
"Detective, you need to learn how to land on your feet," Hiei remarked from his position against the wall. Ruby eyes opened and pinned the Prince of the Spirit World in place. Noticing Hiei's mood, Kurama smoothly intervened while Yusuke and Kuwabara stumbled to their feet and looked sourly at the toddler behind the desk.
 
"Lord Koenma," the fox began, "why did you call us here? Is there a problem that requires the attention of all of us?"
 
Koenma looked the only member of the team in his employ that treated him with any level of respect and shot him a grateful look as he nodded. "Yes, that is exactly why you are all here. There is a problem in Makai---"
 
"What the hell Koenma?! I thought we settled this crap," Yusuke interrupted. Koenma just sighed and continued as if he hadn't been rudely cut off.
 
"There is a problem in Makai, specially in the lands past the Forest of Ages. These lands are the only ones not under Enki's rule because they were never ruled by Yomi, Mukuro, or Raizen. The lord of these lands has a long-standing treaty with Reikai stating that as long as there is no demons spilling into Ningenkai from these lands, then Reikai cannot and will not interfere with these lands. The lord has contacted me with a problem recently. His representation should be arriving soon to explain the details. As far as I know---"
 
Koenma was interrupted again, but this time by a few knocks on his door. It opened enough for Botan to enter with a serious look on her face for once. "Lord Koenma, the representative from the Western Lands is here. Shall I show her in?"
 
"Yes, thank you Botan." Koenma glanced over at his team and continued, "Looks like our answers are here."
 
The blue-haired grim reaper bowed out and a few seconds later came back with a young woman following her. Botan turned back to leave the office when she was stopped by the guest's hand on her arm, holding her in place.
 
"No, please stay Botan. Since I'm sure that you'll be filled in later, I see no reason why you can't stay and listen now." The woman smiled at the ferry girl and turned her bright blue gaze to the rest of the group, her eyes snagging and stopping on Kurama. Her smile grew as she stared at him and he smiled as he recognized her as well.
 
"Hello Youko. You've changed a bit I see. Was my Shippou your inspiration for this new form," she asked. She walked towards the grinning fox and pulled him into a tight hug. She laughed as he picked her up and swung her around in circles; she was still smiling when he put her down.
 
"My dear friend, you have changed as well," Kurama said to the representative as his eyes turned gold. "Since when have your eyes been blue? Though I have to say, I love the change." The fox leaned in and kissed her cheek, mischievous grin still in place.
 
The blue-eyed woman laughed and kissed him back. "Careful you sneaky fox or you'll make your lover jealous. Shippou sends his love and can't wait to see you. Fluffy would too, but," she shrugged, " you know how he is."
 
Taking a deep breath she stepped away from Kurama, whose eyes faded back to green, and looked over the room's occupants again; with a solemn look on her face, she turned the full force of her stare on Koenma. Bowing the Reikai prince, she then straightened and introduced herself, power pooling around her and in the force in her words. "My name is Higurashi Kagome. I am here today as the representative of the ruler Western Lands. I am here to honor the treaty between Lord Sesshoumaru and Reikai, upheld since it was first written approximately 490 years prior when the first Kekkai Barrier was put into place. Per the condition of aide in the treaty, I am here to request the help of Reikai; this request concerns only the Western Lands and Reikai in accordance with the elimination of demonic traffic from the Western Lands into Ningenkai. Lord Koenma, Prince and current acting ruler of Reikai, do you here acknowledge me, Higurashi Kagome, as the representative of Lord Sesshoumaru of the House of the Moon, ruler of the Western Lands of Makai, the lands beyond the Forest of Ages? Do you agree to honor the treaty between our lands by dispensing aide to the Western Lands to resolve this issue?"
 
Koenma solemnly nodded, never breaking eye contact with Kagome. "I, Prince Koenma of Reikai and the current acting ruler, so do swear to dispense aide to the Western Lands to be used by the ruler, Lord Sesshoumaru of the House of the Moon, and thereby fulfill the treaty between our lands. I also acknowledge you, Higurashi Kagome, as the representative of the Western Lands, the lands beyond the Forest of Ages." After Koenma finished the formal reply, the power that had been gathering around the blue-eyed representative dissipated along with her serious expression that melted into a smile.
 
"Good, now that everything legal and formal is taken care of," Kagome began, "Prince Koenma, will you please introduce these men?"
 
Koenma nodded his head and started to introduce the group of disobedient employees. "You know Kurama, or Youko," he gestured to the redhead and Kagome received another hug. "Yes, you will explain that association later I presume. Next to him is the leader Urameshi Yusuke---" Once again, Koenma was interrupted.
 
"Yo. Call me Yusuke pretty lady," the delinquent leader said with a cheeky wink in Kagome's direction. To everyone's amusement, she looked over at him, raised an eyebrow and turned back to face Koenma; Kurama's arm was slung over her shoulder and he squeezed it gently in amusement while he smirked over at Yusuke's shocked expression.
 
Koenma cleared his throat and pointed to the tallest of the group. "That is Kuwabara Kazuma. He is the only full human on the team and has incredibly high spiritual senses." Kuwabara puffed out his chest and attempted to go down on one knee in front of the representative, but settled for standing and looking manly when Kurama looked over at his and gave him an amused shake of his head. Koenma waved his hand over at the apparition still leaning against the far wall, "And that is Hiei."
 
To everyone's surprise but Kurama, Kagome stepped away from the redhead and up to Hiei and hugged the short man; everyone could see her whispering in his ear, but not even the demons could hear what she said. Kuwabara's jaw dropped when Hiei hugged Kagome back; Yusuke reacted a bit more vocally, "What the hell?! I get shrugged off and the shrimp gets a hug?!" Hiei smirked over Kagome's shoulder at the detective. The blue-eyed woman released the fire apparition and, after raising both eyebrows at Yusuke, turned away and walked over to Koenma's desk.
 
She bowed to all of them and said, "Please, call me Kagome. Unfortunately, my brother insists on formality, so you might want to let Youko do the talking for you all."
 
"Brother? Who's your brother," Kuwabara asked, scratching the back of his head. Kurama laughed heartily at the question and everyone's gaze turned to him.
 
"She means Lord Sesshoumaru," the fox explained. Eyes swung back to Kagome and once again, Yusuke seemed unable to keep his opinions to himself.
 
"Uh, you're not a demon, you're not even half demon. How the hell are you the lord's sister?"
 
"Hn. Detective, listen first. Ask questions after," Hiei interjected before Yusuke could go on further.
 
Kagome smiled brightly in Hiei's direction. "I was adopted by Sesshoumaru as his little sister some time ago. That is also why I was chosen as his representative, despite me being human." Her smile turned sheepish as she continued, "Well, the fact I'm his sister and that I harassed him until he agreed so I would shut up."
 
"Who was his original choice," the fox wanted to know.
 
"You mean aside from trying to handle it himself and not asking for help at all? His first choice was Akihito, the commander of his elite soldiers. I convinced him it was a bad idea, not only because I wanted to come, but because communicating often works better if the communicator doesn't have a 'kill now, ask later' outlook on life and diplomacy."
 
"So, how do you know Kurama," Kuwabara wanted to know. Kagome looked over at the man in question with an inquiring look on her face; she received a nod in response.
 
"Well, that is actually a long story. I met Youko," she interrupted herself and looked wryly at Kurama. "I suppose I should start calling you Kurama now. Anyway, I met Kurama when the Land of the Three Kings was being formed and some demons were settling in Sesshoumaru's land for various reasons. Kurama's reason was because the Forest of Ages, while ruled and inhabited by no one, is more accessible on the side of the Western Lands. All demons who wished to live in the Western Lands had to be accounted for and their names taken down to stop the movement into Ningenkai so that the treaty could be written; I happened to be in charge of checking the canines and found him trying to sneak through without giving any information. After fighting each other a bit, I found out he was my Shippou's cousin of some sort; naturally we saw each other more often and became close friends. It's hard not to after nearly five hundred years of friendship." Before Yusuke could open his mouth again, Kagome continued, "The Shippo I keep talking about is my son. He is a red fox demon. Obviously, the species difference means I adopted him," she added with another amused glance at the men in he office. "Shall we get down to business?"
 
Koenma spoke up, "Please explain the situation."
 
Kagome looked thoughtful, then addressed the silent Botan. "Botan, do you think you could create a portal to the Forest of Ages and Enki's land borderline? As we walk through to Sesshoumaru's current residence, I'll explain the problem."
 
"Aw man! We have to walk? Why can't Botan just make a portal go to the place we ant to go," Kuwabara wanted to know.
 
"I can't create portals anywhere except in the lands ruled by Enki," Botan explained. "It's part of the treaty."
 
"Don't worry, it's not that long of a walk," Kagome reassured. "Sesshoumaru and his court are housed at my place actually; it's the closet to the Forest of Ages. Koenma, you are welcome to join us." Koenma nodded his acceptance and, with a pop and a puff of smoke, he transformed into his teenaged self.
 
"Open the portal Botan," the Reikai prince ordered. The ferry girl cheerfully saluted her boss and promptly opened a portal. Within a few minutes, the office was empty and a new adventure was on it's way.
 
END
Yu Yu Hakusho was written by Yoshihiro Togashi.
InuYasha was written by Rumiko Takahashi.