InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Said the Joker to the Thief ❯ Heavenly Bodies ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AN: As I've mentioned before, I'm telling this story in non-chronological one-shots, so while the chapters are part of the same timeline, they did not necessarily happen in the order they are posted. I wanted some freedom to write on my whims with this one. Also, I explained in the last chapter of my other story Soul Magic that I use a lot of ideas that were put forth in fan fiction that I read way back in the day, and a lot of elements of this fic in particular were borrowed from Deviant Nature's "By Any Other Name." My Kimi is inspired by her portrayal in ImaniJoain's "Second Alliance." I don't like to use ideas without acknowledging their source. I hope you enjoy this cheeky installment, and I love hearing your feedback!

Heavenly Bodies

'Where is she?' Youko growled, squirming anxiously in Kurama's mind. They sat alone at a secluded table in the corner of an upscale restaurant in the Taito district of Tokyo.

Relax, she's only a few minutes late, Kurama tried to soothe the old fox. He wasn't worried; they knew how to find her.

Youko, however, had been chomping at the bit to see her again since they'd seen all of her at her son's courting petition. That was just over a month ago. 'She's twenty four minutes late! We need to get her a cell phone.'

Slow down Youko, this is our first date. It's a little soon to be thinking about extravagant gifts.

'Perhaps we'll wait until the third date for that… But it's such a bother to travel all the way into Makai just to talk to her. And a cell phone won't even work there, damnit.'

You seem pretty sure this won't be our only date. And long distance relationships aren't really our thing, are they? Don't "we kitsune" need consistent physical affection and all that? Kurama asked mockingly.

'Of course this won't be our only date,' Youko said as though he were explaining something obvious to a child. 'And she is interesting enough to cross the distance.'

Interesting? You've talked about nothing else for a month. Why are you so obsessed with her?

'Obsessed?!'

Focused, then, whatever you'd like to call it. You've never been like this with any other woman we've dated.

'We've never dated any quality women, Red. This is a gem of a female we have stumbled upon, and a fascinating puzzle as well. You can't blame me for pouncing on such a high-caliber woman. We meet so few in the human world,' Youko sniffed, still insulted by the accusation that he was obsessed with a human woman.

That's not fair, Kurama insisted, What about Ruka-chan? From accounting? She was intelligent, attractive, engaging…

Youko cornered his gold eyes at his counterpart. 'Ruka had twelve dogs and every one of them hated us.'

She was considerate enough to put them out in the yard when we were over. 

'After one of them bit my ankle! Little shit was lucky I didn't feed him to one of my carnivorous swamp vines.'

Youko! Please tell me you're not growing one of those things in our apartment building! We had an agreement! Kurama sounded desperate.

The silver fox sniffed indignantly and crossed his arms. 'How would I do that? It needs standing water and room to stretch. Do you know of any swamps in the building?'

Kurama narrowed his eyes suspiciously on the fox. He hadn't really denied it… He shook his head, tiring of the line of conversation. He switched gears. I wonder why she asked to meet us in this area of Tokyo where we first saw her. She must have some kind of ties here. Perhaps it's where her human family is from?

Youko nodded. 'It would make sense. Koenma did say she was born in the 21st century. Of course, that's a wide range of years. We're only in the first quarter of the century.'

That's true. But Koenma also said she had just started crossing over recently. Something had to have changed for her to return to Ningenkai. 

Youko was about to expand on that when he suddenly became very still. Kurama lifted his nose subtly and inhaled. Damp, sun-warmed hydrangeas. Steamy jungles. In unison, they thought, 'Kagome…'

Their eyes found the front of the restaurant where their date stood talking to the maitre d' while an attendant took her coat and scarf. As usual, she was stunning. She had outdone herself again in a long-sleeved midnight blue dress that hit mid-thigh with a wide neckline that exposed a tantalizing span of collarbone and thin, kissable shoulders. Her long, dark hair was curled and pinned back with little jeweled berets away from her face to tumble freely down her back. As she moved closer, he could see a myriad of randomly arranged tiny gems reflecting pinpoints of light all over the lacy bodice of her dress so that it looked like she was clothed in a sky of stars. If it wasn't her lithe, curvy body or the graceful way she moved across the dining room that drew every eye in the room it was her easy, open smile and her sparkling blue-gray eyes.

An attendant had led her to the table but Kurama rose and sweetly pulled out her seat for her. She smiled appreciatively at his appearance, admiring his form in khaki slacks and a jade green button down and sat in the offered chair. Youko grinned at the view the gentlemanly gesture afforded them of her backside. 'My little miko, where do you find these dresses?' Youko voiced in the privacy of their mind. Kurama hummed in agreement.

When his date was seated comfortably, the avatar leaned down to put his lips at her ear. He said in a low voice, "You are lucky you are worth waiting for, my little miko; I was beginning to lose hope."

Kagome staved off a shiver at the feel of his warm breath on her jaw and silken strands of deep red hair that had fallen over his shoulder onto the bare skin of her collar. Before she could respond he had stood and moved around the table to his own seat. She gave him a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry I'm so late, Kurama. I hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long."

Kurama shrugged and smiled easily back at her. "It gave me a chance to peruse the menu. I've never eaten here before."

"Really?" Kagome asked. "My- friend recommended it. She said it's very popular in the area."

Kurama caught the hesitation, but didn't comment on it. "I live just outside of Kyoto, I'm not that familiar with the restaurants here." 'Oh that's good, Red. Let her know how far we have come to see her.'

The miko blinked owlishly. "Oh! You drove six hours just to meet me for dinner?!" Her blue eyes were as big around as saucers.

Kurama, although his counterpart would have liked to let her believe that, showed her his palms. "It was no inconvenience, I assure you. I must travel to Tokyo quite regularly for business. I was going to be in the city for the next four days in any case," he assured her. She looked relieved, but he had to tease her. "But just so you know, I would have taken a plane to see you if I had to."

The young woman's cheeks reddened and she averted her eyes. No one had ever said anything so… sweet to her, and certainly not a potential suitor. Although, she had strong suspicions that sex was not his only goal. As was usually the case with kitsune, she was sure he had ulterior motives. "I'm glad I didn't put you too much out of your way."

Some time while they were admiring the way her dark lashes fluttered against her blushing cheeks as she looked shyly away Youko had taken the reins. He smiled and leaned back in his chair disarmingly. "Ah, still, I'm sure I didn't travel as far as you did to get here. You look ravishing, especially to have just come from Makai."

Kagome sat up straighter in her chair, suddenly on guard. Ah, there it was. "You don't waste words, do you, Kurama-kun?"

Easy, Youko, you're going to scare her off. She told us she dropped her last name to protect her human family. If she is coming back into Ningenkai for family, she's not going to want to tell a youkai she's only just met.

'Relax, Red, I'm just testing the water.'

"Kitsune never do. But you know that," he grinned and winked playfully to soften his approach.

She smiled in return, but her eyes were still on him, searching, weighing.

The waiter approached the table with a bottle of white wine and broke the silent standoff. He began by introducing himself while flipping over their wine glasses and pouring them each some wine. "Good evening. My name is Toshi and I'll be your waiter. Miss, what can I get you to drink?" he asked Kagome, having already brought Kurama water earlier.

"Water, please," she answered.

"And are you ready to order?" Toshi asked.

Kagome looked questioningly to her date who nodded and gestured for her to go first. Having forgotten to look at the menu, she waved her hand towards him, "You order first, I'll know what I want by then."

"I'll have the flank steak, rare, with vegetables, please," Youko said smoothly.

Kagome snapped her menu closed, having made a quick choice while he ordered. "The sashimi platter, please."

The waiter said he'd have it out to them soon and left with their menus to put in their order. When he walked away Kagome took a sip of her wine, savoring the flavor on her lips. "Mm… I like dry. Chardonnay?" she guessed, turning the bottle the waiter had left by their table in the ice bucket so she could see the label.

"Very good. You know your wine," Youko complimented, letting her change the subject. He took a sip of his own.

"Just a good guess," she said. "Shippo has me try a lot of different kinds with him. He makes his own wine, actually," she told him, unable to keep the shade of pride out of her voice.

"Oh?" Youko asked, genuinely interested in the insight into her's and her son's life. "What kind?"

"Peach wine," she said. "We have an orchard. He trades it to a family friend, a merchant. It's very good! Apparently in high demand, too."

"Your son seems to have many talents. Tell me what you do, Kagome," Youko said, sliding his hand across the table to brush his fingers across her knuckles.

Kagome didn't seem to take notice of the casual contact, but the fox didn't miss the way she averted her eyes briefly. "Oh, I don't have to do much."

"Tell me about living in Makai. It's been many years since I lived there. I don't get to visit as often as I'd like to," he prodded.

Kagome crossed her ankles, repositioned herself in the chair, took a sip of wine. "It's not very interesting, really. We have a garden and we hunt deer, boar, fowl… There's a stream up the mountain where we fish and swim when we want to. It stays pretty hot most of the year." She smiled and looked up through her lashes, gazing out the frosted window behind their table into the cold February night lit by the lights of Tokyo. "I missed the snow and the city," she said softly.

"It is beautiful," he agreed, keeping his eyes pointedly on her. It brought her attention back to the table.

"You said you were in town on business. Are there so many Reikai criminals in Tokyo?" she asked him, turning the question around on him.

He chuckled. "No, my dear, for my day job. I work for my step-father. Boring, typical human job. But one must keep up appearances."

Kagome tilted her head as though it had never occurred to her that he would have human parents and a desk job. A smile slowly spread across her face as she pictured the legendary Youko Kurama, arguably the greatest bandit Makai had ever known, sitting in a cubicle typing and drinking his morning coffee. She chuckled to herself and Youko looked a little offended. She shook her head and waved it away. "Nothing. I just didn't expect your life to be so… ordinary."

Here he grinned. "Only appearances, as I said, darling. I can assure you I am extraordinary, when you get past my human guise."

I am your human guise, Youko. Don't throw me under the bus. 

The old fox waved off his concern. 'She can't know we are two separate entities; relax, Red.'

Across the table, Kagome was still looking at him as though seeing him in a different light suddenly. "So," she began curiously, "You actually grew up here in Ningenkai with human parents and everything? Did the whole school thing?"

Youko didn't care for the way the conversation was going. He wanted to talk about her. But, as he'd learned in his years on the modern human dating scene, most human women required a personal intimacy that youkai women tended to curl their nose at when it came to matters of sex. It hadn't been that way in the past when he was a free-roaming kitsune. Before the barrier was erected the humans had been dumb and easily awestruck and manipulated. Allowed to flourish without the oppressing presence of youkai, they were somewhat smarter and more confidant. They required finesse.

He smiled indulgently. "Yes, I grew up just outside of Kyoto. I was an only child."

Kagome gave him a slow, sweet smile that made talking about his human life worth it. "You mentioned a step-father?"

He nodded. "My mother married when I was seventeen. Her husband has a son also, my step-brother."

"I see," and she looked thoughtful. "And do they know…?" she gestured vaguely.

He chuckled. "No, they don't. As far as they know I'm just like any other human, only exceptionally attractive and intelligent."

His date couldn't help the burst of laughter that escaped her. "I could almost forget you're a kitsune until you go and say something like that," she laughed.

"We are known for our honesty," he insisted innocently.

She grinned. "Is that what you call it?"

Youko very much liked the playful turn the conversation was taking. Playful was second nature to a fox. "We are also known to be excellent companions."

Her reaction was immediate. A blush crept up her neck and over her cheeks. Youko didn't miss the fluttering of her lashes or the way her lips parted just slightly.

Don't you think you're coming on a little strong, Youko?

Ah, his voice of reason. 'She's a grown woman, centuries older than any other woman we've dated. Don't forget that, just because she looks eighteen.'

Kurama inwardly rolled his eyes. Whatever you say. Just you don't forget she's also human, and if you press her you're going to scare her off. 

'Red, she raised a kitsune. You don't know what we're like at his age, but trust me, she can handle what we dish out. She's not as innocent as she plays it.'

You're convinced of this? 

'Absolutely,' Youko answered earnestly.

Across from them, the miko cleared her throat and took a drink of wine, her face still touched pink, but seeming to have recovered from his remark. "Kurama, I don't want to mislead you, so I'm just going to tell you outright. I'm not looking for a relationship. I very much appreciate what you did for us," here, she couldn't help but avert her eyes, remembering the last time they had seen all of each other at Shippo's courtship appeal, "but I've got- a lot on my plate right now and I just don't have the time to devote to a relationship that a… person of your quality deserves," she finished anxiously, looking apologetic.

Shocked, Youko could muster no more appropriate response but to blink owlishly, brows hidden somewhere in his bangs. 'Is she-?'

Rejecting us? Yes. Artfully, too, I might add. 

Inwardly, Youko's ears flattened as he considered this unexpected turn of events. Sure, he knew she was still suspicious of him because of his affiliation with Reikai, but he didn't expect her to outright reject him so early in the game. Even with secrets to protect, she was still an attractive, vivacious, unattached woman in her prime. Whatever she was protecting… it was bigger than herself. Bigger than her own needs and desires. That would be a difficult obstacle to get over…

But he was a kitsune, and he would adapt his strategy to the situation. He allowed a small, disarming smile to quirk the edges of his lips. "I appreciate your candor, Kagome. And I want to be honest with you, as well. I am my own entity and Reikai does not own me. We have, in fact, been ordered to cease and desist any investigation we might have been conducting concerning you or your past, but what I do in my own time is none of Koenma's business. You intrigue me. You are exceptionally attractive, intelligent, and interesting. I do not have to hide what I am from you, and furthermore you are accustomed to dealing with kitsune in particular, and I'm sure you understand why that appeals to me," he grinned, showing her a little fang and pressing his tongue against one sharp, white point suggestively. He leaned in closer and lowered his voice to impart a sense of intimacy and avoid being overheard. "And ever since I saw those long legs in that tiny dress that night, trying their best to get a shot at my head, I've been able to think of little else but getting them wrapped around my head."

By the time he finished this careful explanation his voice was reduced to a husky growl that set the hairs on the back of Kagome's neck on end. Her eyes briefly found his lips and she took in a shaky breath before quickly returning her gaze to his warm golden eyes. "You're right, I do know kitsune better than most. And I won't fall for that kitsune manipulation… But, being as familiar as I am with your type…" she eyed him suspiciously, just to make clear that she didn't trust him, "I think it's entirely possible you really do just want sex."

Youko made a show of looking offended. "My dear, you make it sound so crass…" he pouted, wanting to maintain the levity of the conversation, despite the heavy subject. Then he grinned wickedly. "I want to bring you to the brink of ecstasy and make you beg me to push you over the edge… I want to make you cry out for me when you wake up lonely and cold in the night… I want to make you come so hard that you never come again without remembering me moving within you."

A middle-aged woman with her husband at the table closest to them choked on the wine she'd been sipping and dissolved into a coughing fit at that very moment. Youko inwardly preened when the woman shot a look of sheer jealousy at the back of Kagome's head.

Throughout his little speech, Kagome's jaw had fallen progressively further in shock and she was sure every inch of her skin was flushed with embarrassment and… well, arousal, if she were being honest. Because, damn, but it had been a long time… She found that her mouth was suddenly dry and she couldn't tear her eyes from his.

Just then Toshi arrived with their food and the spell was broken. Kagome cleared her throat and thanked him sheepishly, averting her eyes from the kitsune across from her who had not forgotten their conversation, if the way his eyes never left her as he accepted his plate was any indication, despite the momentary distraction.

That's what you call 'adapting' your strategy? Kurama prodded him, disbelief coloring his voice. You just went from subtle suggestions to bashing her over the head with it. It's just your regular unabashed seductive strategy times ten!

Youko spared his counterpart a look of annoyance within the safety of their mind. 'She needs to be reminded of her own desires. It's some unidentified feeling of responsibility that's holding her back; in order to bypass that, we need to take advantage of her own undoubtedly neglected needs. Then after she gets comfortable with letting us satisfy those physical needs, we can work on being trusted with more sensitive material,' the fox explained to him matter-of-factly.

Kurama, although slightly disgusted with the youkai's line of reasoning, couldn't deny the logic of his approach. Even so, You are a deviant, he countered stonily.

'Hm,' the fox responded, shrugging. Whether that was an admission of guilt or not his other half couldn't begin to guess.

When the waiter left Youko did the poor little miko a favor and dropped the subject for the time being, letting her take a few bites of her seafood and recover from his suggestive remarks. He decided to back off and return to safer subjects while they enjoyed their dinner, give her time to ruminate on his proposal. By the time they were done eating, Kurama had taken over again and was charming her with stories of the complications that came with being an ancient kitsune in public school. They sat talking for more than an hour while they finished their bottle of wine. After he paid the bill (which Kagome objected to, but lamented after some words about kitsune pride), he came back to the table with his date's coat and helped her into it.

As he walked with her down the steps and out onto the cold street, he leaned in close to her ear to be heard over the noise of the Tokyo night. "How about drinks? There's a lounge at that hotel across the street," he pointed to indicate the building. "They have a skilled pianist."

Kagome looked across the busy street to the hotel and hesitated. It was getting late, after all, and she had to be up early. Plus, Shippo would be waiting anxiously for her back home, worried about her being out with this kitsune… Or, maybe not, considering it was equally likely he was sneaking out to hang out with Souta and his college friends again… "Ok, that sounds nice," she consented and let him lead her to the crosswalk and into the grand, modern hotel with the name "Tsukino" in large letters over the arched entrance. Somewhere in the back of her mind that rung a bell.

The inside of the building was as grand as the facade, a large, welcoming lobby in marble and glittering gold, lush red carpets covering the walkways. They stepped across the lobby and through an archway which opened up into a lively lounge decorated in aubergine and gold, the centerpiece of the room being a glossy baby-grand piano manned by a young gentleman in a tuxedo. They chose a small table around the edge of the room and ordered a couple of glasses of chardonnay, per Kagome's request.

For a while they sat sipping wine, chatting about one thing or another and enjoying the piano. Kagome, for reasons the avatar couldn't fathom, seemed to be fascinated by his school experience.

"So did you play any sports? Volleyball? Soccer? I'll bet you ran track!" she gushed, good humor and good wine making her blue eyes sparkle.

Kurama gave her an indulgent smile. "I played intramural tennis," he admitted. It was actually something Youko had encouraged when he was a young teenager to improve what he had called his piss poor coordination and balance skills. But, Kurama also hadn't missed the distinct feelings of pride and pleasure from the ancient fox's soul when they played well.

"Ah, that suits you," she nodded, enjoying picturing a young Kurama dashing back and forth across a tennis court pitting his skills against other human children, just your every-day ancient kitsune in a teenaged boy's body. "I played volleyball," she said. "I was never any good at tennis."

'Now that's interesting,' Youko said thoughtfully, considering the woman beside them.

That she said anything specific about her schooling? I thought so too. Kurama said.

'I know,' Youko answered distractedly.

Kurama looked annoyed. Can you at least pretend that we have some measure of privacy from one another like I do?

'No; it's stupid and human not to accept your own nature for what it is and use it to its full potential. Now don't get sidetracked. Get her talking more about school, but don't bring attention to her slip-up…

"And why do you say that suits me?" Kurama asked, smiling with good humor and taking a sip of his wine.

Kagome grinned. "Oh, because of your superiority complex," she said matter-of-factly. My, but the wine had her lips quite loose this evening. She couldn't stop herself, enjoying the look of consternation that came over his handsome features. "You wouldn't want to have to rely on and cooperate with other normal humans on a team sport, you'd rather play one-on-one. Oh, don't look at me that way. Youkai always have that superiority thing going on, especially the ones living amongst humans."

'Jackpot.' 

How many youkai does she know living amongst humans?!

Just then, Kagome's eyes went round as saucers, staring at something over his shoulder. "Oh, shit,' she cursed.

Kurama, immediately on alert, turned to find the source of her sudden anxiety. A woman was quickly, and with inhuman grace, making a beeline for their table. The fox and avatar took a long, silent moment to drink her in. She looked older than Kagome, though Kurama would struggle to label her middle-aged. She was about his height in her black pumps and her sequined gold dress clung to her slender, womanly form enticingly as she moved and left the full expanse of her milky, lean legs to view. Her hair was cut in a stylish asymmetrical bob and was snowy silver, the exact color of the unusual, oversized boa she carried hooked over her elbows. She was grinning and clearly set on his date.

Kagome looked like she wanted to crawl under a rock, or possibly just sling that rock at a window. How could she be so stupid?! Tsukino! It was right on the front of the damned building! …How the hell had they planned this?!

"'Gome-chan!" the newcomer called cheekily as she arrived at their table. Kagome, looking resigned, stood to receive the woman with an air of respect. Bypassing a polite bow, the woman swooped in with open arms and pulled the smaller woman against her, strangely rubbing her cheeks against Kagome's.

'Who the hell is this woman?' 

Their date unconsciously provided the answer. "Kimi-sama!" she laughed nervously. "I didn't expect to see you this evening," she said, giving the woman a meaningful look that Kurama couldn't decipher.

"It's my building, dear," the older woman answered, winking unabashedly.

"Of course," Kagome said.

Kimi, as Kagome had called her, turned her eyes on him then. They were an unusual color for humans in this area of the world. Light, almost honey brown. But something about her didn't seem human at all. Youko couldn't put his finger on it. Kimi eyed him up and down and sniffed delicately in his direction. "The fox," she stated simply.

Ah, yes, there it was. So, she was a youkai disguised as a human. They recalled what Kagome had said just before this woman had arrived about youkai living amongst humans. How had she escaped detection long enough from Reikai to own a hotel building? And what was she to Kagome?

Kurama stood then to receive the strange youkai. Youko urged him to be diplomatic but assertive right off the bat. So, he dipped his head casually and introduced himself. "Youko Kurama," he said simply.

Kimi grinned and there was something feral in it. "Kimi Tsukino. Your reputation precedes you, Youko."

"I prefer Kurama," he answered blandly.

"Ah, that's right. You aren't a youko anymore."

Kagome hissed, "Kimi-sama, please!"

The woman smiled innocently, taking a seat at their table without invitation and arranging the boa around her arms. "Please, sit down," she commanded with the air of someone who was accustomed to people in her presence taking action only when she instructed it.

'This bitch!' Youko was indignant.

It is true. 

'…She doesn't have to throw it out there like it's an insult, first thing.' Youko complained. Kurama suspected he was just irritated at being interrupted on his date.

Taking a seat with his anxious date, Kurama kept his expression cool. "You seem to know a lot about me, and I know nothing more than your name."

"You know me," she said ambiguously. "Perhaps by another name, but you know me." With no more warning than that she turned her face up to him and for a split second he saw an image of another face flicker over hers, almost as though he were seeing a projection skip. She had two magenta stripes across her delicate cheeks and a violet crescent moon upon her forehead like they were tattood there at birth. Her eyes were red and menacing and her lips curled back over sparkling white fangs. In the same instance, a terrible, oppressive presence seemed to shake the room and press down on them, making the air thick like water and a shock to breath in. Instinctively, Kurama's youki surged to the surface, responding to the perceived threat. Kurama had to concentrate to tamp down the sudden overwhelming urge to let his own youki overtake his human body and confront her in his Youko form.

As soon as it had come, the presence receded. The startled lounge patrons erupted into clusters of nervous laughter and talks of earthquakes. Kimi casually flagged down a passing waiter to order a rum and coke and turned back to the them with a pleasant expression. Kagome remained quiet, but glared daggers at the woman.

After the moment had passed and their instincts had settled, Youko realized he recognized the symbol that had flickered into view on her forehead. 'I'll be damned…' Youko said thoughtfully.

Was that just her youki?! Kurama was still in a mild state of shock. He'd never felt something like that. Judging from that brief taste of her aura, she could have snuffed out Taguro, Sensui, and every youkai in the Makai Tournament combined like they were nothing more than a match. Even now, every fiber of his being was on alert, primally aware of the status of the woman across from him. You recognize her?

'The crescent moon on her forehead; it's the mark of the House of the Moon. Old, very old inu taiyoukai. God-like figures in mythology. What the hell is one of them doing in Ningenkai?'

"Are you quite finished?" Kagome asked the taiyoukai sourly.

"I thought introductions were in order," Kimi answered cooly. She ran her fingers through the furry white boa on her lap lovingly and turned her eyes on Kurama who sipped his wine with a stony expression. "You have good control," she complimented slyly, acknowledging both his strength of will and her own sheer power that could force a transformation out of another youkai. "It's a shame. I really wanted to see that other form of yours. I'm a sucker for silver hair," she said, winking. The waiter arrived with her drink and she took it without acknowledging him.

Youko looked mildly interested in her flirtatious admission. 'A taiyoukai…' he said thoughtfully.

Youko! You're not serious! She could rip our head off our shoulders! Kurama chastised the ancient kitsune.

'That's half the fun!' the fox said cheekily. Then, more seriously, 'No, I'm still more interested in Kagome.'

"Perhaps another time," Kurama said, showing teeth in a subtle challenge, letting her know that he wouldn't be cowed. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Kimi-sama. As I'm sure you already know, I am employed by Reikai. It is both a personal and professional interest which compels me to ask, how is it that you have escaped the notice of Reikai to live here amongst the humans?"

At this, Kimi grinned. "Your employer does not tell you everything, I imagine. I suppose he likes to keep an illusion of control. I could have him on my dinner plate if I thought he wouldn't be all gristle, and that simpering little weasel and his father know that." She shrugged and took a sip of her drink.

'Friends in high places…' Youko muttered.

Already knowing what his counterpart was referring to, Kurama picked up on the train of thought. That would make sense. I believe her when she says Reikai couldn't stop her from living as she pleased if they wanted to… She could be behind the agreement between Kagome and Koenma…

Beside him, Kagome cleared her throat. She looked as though she had resigned herself to the situation. "You look well, Kimi-sama. How is the business?"

"Booming, of course. I didn't see you at the show last month," she admonished gently. "I at least had hoped your kit would come."

"We've been busy," she answered evasively.

Kimi gave the young woman a knowing look. Instead of pressing for more information, she switched gears. "Another of the kit's?" she asked, gesturing vaguely to Kagome's dress.

Kurama was finding that one of his favorite of Kagome's expressions was the shy, unconscious quirk of her lips that spoke of restrained pride when she talked about her son. Beside him, the little miko smoothed the hem of her dress over her thighs and replied, "Of course. He spent hours stitching on the rhinestones. He was very proud of this one."

"Your son made your dress?" Kurama couldn't keep the surprise out of his voice.

Kagome's smile broke through then. "He makes all of my clothing."

I can't believe her son dresses her like that!

'Kitsune aren't tethered by petty human taboos.'

Kimi cut in, "Have you considered my proposal?"

Kagome looked uncomfortable. "I'd rather discuss that later."

"You don't return my messages," Kimi said matter-of-factly.

The miko's cheeks flushed pink and Kurama didn't miss the way her liquid grey eyes darted anxiously to him. "How about dinner later this week?!" Kagome blurted, looking immediately regretful, but it was the only way she could think to get her to drop the subject in front of her date. For having lectured her about protecting herself around this kitsune, the taiyoukai was just spitting information at him like a fountain.

Kimi grinned like the cat that ate the canary. "Yes, darling, I'll have them make your favorite. Bring Shippo-chan, too."

The miko agreed, thankful to have averted a crisis. She decided right then she wasn't taking this any further with Kurama. Kimi was the forerunner on her long list of reasons why she couldn't have a boyfriend and a stark reminder of the responsibilities that came before any hopes of a social life she could ever entertain. Still, it hurt just a little. She was usually very happy with her life, but ever since he had asked her for this date weeks ago she hadn't been able to help thinking about what it would be like to just have a little fun with an outsider, someone who had no idea of the weight she carried on her shoulders and to whom she was just another ordinary woman. And maybe Kurama knew she wasn't entirely ordinary, but she'd never been romanced like this and oh, it would have been so nice to see what was under those khakis…

"Well," Kimi said, gathering her boa over her elbows and standing, leaving her half-empty drink behind. "Kurama, it was a pleasure to meet you, but I'm afraid I have obligations and cannot stay any longer. Kagome, let me borrow you for a moment, dear," she said with that somewhat unnerving smile, taking the miko gently by the arm and pulling her out of her chair before she could protest. Kimi moved them far enough away that Kagome would think Kurama couldn't hear them, but close enough that she knew he would.

"I hope I didn't embarrass you," Kimi said with an expression of innocence.

"No," Kagome sighed, "Of course I'm not embarrassed of you, Kimi-sama. I just had thought we talked about keeping him at arm's length, and here you are bringing up… sensitive information on our first date."

"First date? So, they'll be more?" the taiyoukai asked with a sly smile.

"No," Kagome answered firmly. "And that's why I don't want him knowing any more about me than he already does."

"He knows where you live," Kimi said with what might have been called sarcasm if she were something less than a walking god.

"Not here," the miko insisted.

"'Gome-chan, sweetheart, you've been in that jungle for too long. He'd only need a phonebook and a little detective work to find you now," she told the younger woman with a pitying look. Then, her expression softened somewhat. "I've been guarding that shrine for generations. You have nothing to worry about."

Kagome bit her lip anxiously. "I know, but-"

"I know, dear… Listen," and Kimi pulled her in close, lowering her voice so that even the avatar back at the table wouldn't be able to hear, "you should have your fun this evening with that delicious little morsel you've netted and don't worry about tomorrow for once." Kagome looked like she had something to say to that, but the taiyoukai stopped her. "I know, but you always forget that you have people to help you carry that burden…"

Kimi leaned in to stroke her cheek against Kagome's in that way she and Sesshoumaru always did when they were feeling possessive. In the same instance she slipped a small, plastic card into the younger woman's hand. "This is the penthouse suite. A taxi service will arrive at five in the morning. You're in control," she said softly, just for her ears.

"Kimi-sama, I can't-" the miko protested, cheeks flushed.

"You can. And I know you want to," Kimi said pulling back and giving her a wink. Then, bringing her voice back to a normal volume, she said, "And perhaps with you otherwise occupied Sesshoumaru will finally be forced to consider some of the lovely young eligible bitches I have proposed for him when he wants to get his rocks off," she said cheekily, ignoring Kagome's indignant huff and flushed face, turning to leave the lounge.

Back at the table, Kurama sat considering what he'd been able to overhear from the miko and the taiyoukai. I wonder who this Sesshoumaru guy is. Boyfriend?

Youko made a noise of disagreement. 'Doesn't sound that serious. Anyway, I think I know who Kimi is…'

When the fox didn't elaborate, Kurama pressed him. Yes?

'I'd like to get to the stash soon; I have some old mythology scrolls I pilfered from a daimyo there… I remembered when she said that name Sesshoumaru. If I'm remembering it correctly, I think he was the only son of Kimi the Devourer,' Youko said thoughtfully.

I like this less and less the more I learn, Kurama deadpanned.

'Oh, all the old taiyoukai gave themselves pretentious names like that,' Youko waved away his concern.

Just then Kagome came back to the table and took her seat beside him. "I am so, so sorry about that, Kurama. If I had known she would be here, I wouldn't have-"

Youko, wanting to put her at ease and salvage the evening, seized control. "There's no need to apologize. I'm having a lovely time, Kagome," he said, his voice husky with suggestion as he stroked his fingers lightly over the back of her arm.

Kagame's attention immediately returned to him as the subtle contact sent a shiver down her spine. And with that, she was falling under his charming spell all over again. As the evening wore on they talked and flirted and sipped wine, and despite her earlier resolve the miko found herself imagining his hands and his lips on her. She remembered that night months ago on the rooftop and how her whole body had felt like a fire was erupting underneath her skin when he looked at her with those flickering green-gold eyes and put his lips over hers. And how for nights afterward she'd lain awake, aching for company.

When it was getting quite late and the crowd began thinning in the lounge, Kagome clutched the key card Kimi had given her and considered her options. Despite the weight of her duties hanging over her, she couldn't let the thought of it go. But she had never done this before, with an outsider. Could she spend just a night with a man and then never see him again?

In the end, perhaps as she'd always known she would, she gave into the needs she'd been pushing to the back burner for much too long.

Sometime later upstairs in the luxury penthouse suite, with only the light of the city through the open balcony doors to see by, Kurama knelt before Kagome, running his hands over her hips as she stepped out of her nude pumps. He kissed her stomach through the fabric of her dress and leaned back to drink in the sight of her as his hands pushed up the hem of her dress over her hips, exposing her lean, silken thighs and black lace underwear. In that moment the light through the open doorway caught the glittering little stones on her midriff and Youko suddenly realized that their placement wasn't random at all, but that he was looking at a perfect map of the Makai night sky on her dress. With a husky chuckle, he lifted up her garment to help her pull it off and laid open-mouthed kisses just below her naval where the constellation of the clever kitsune Fumiko had just been. Kagome looked down on him with flushed lips and glassy, sex-clouded gray eyes and Kurama's explanation was swallowed up in a wave of desire that sent him surging to his feet to wrap his arms around her tiny frame and swept them both back onto the bed in a tangle of hungry hands and mouths.