InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Such a Small World ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Five
 
Yusuke clenched his hand, wandering down the street for no apparent reason. He'd had a rough night, and wondered why the hell Keiko hadn't come back to him already. He was sure that Rini was most likely sad that he was gone, but Keiko should have come back to him. But no, instead she leaves him to a rough night with lots of tossing and turning, and a little sleep. God, he was tired, but he was glad that he'd been allowed to take his vacation time. He had a month and two weeks to fix his life before his work once more came into the picture, but he would wait for at least half of it before he went after his wife. Keiko should know that he was too stubborn to show he cared.
 
If he was right, though, it appeared that his wife was going to be as stubborn as he was. He didn't want to go after her, especially since he was the man in the relationship, and she should be the one to come to him. Then again, he was the one that put them all into this stupid mess, so he could be looking at this all from the wrong angle. Shaking his head, Yusuke snorted, knowing that that wasn't true, or at least thinking he knew, he wasn't so sure about any of his decisions anymore. The first one that'd be made, even if he had been intoxicated at the time, had been very bad, and he'd made it worse, but Keiko should see that he wanted her. He had done it to help her; therefore she should come to him, instead of the other way around.
 
His subconscious added that Keiko probably didn't know that, but he'd been married to her for five years, and she knew everything about him. If she couldn't put the pieces together, then well… he didn't know. Shaking his head, Yusuke wondered just what in the hell he was going to do for the time he'd wait for Keiko to finally stop being such a bitch and realize she loved him. There wasn't much he could do, except think about what he'd done and make himself feel worse, which wasn't something he really wanted to do at the moment. Especially not when he felt like he was being followed constantly after had convinced himself that he did not want Kagome he wanted his wife.
 
Stuffing his hands into his pockets, he wished that Kuwabara were still alive. He didn't like to think about it, but he did wish Kuwabara were there to distract him for a while. Most likely, he knew, Kurama and Hiei already knew of what he'd done, and they probably hated him right now, so there was no way he was going to either of them—especially not Hiei. Still, Kuwabara would have been able to distract him quite easily. Hell, Kuwabara would have probably been able to knock some sense into him before he started this whole thing in the first place, but the guy was dead. His best friend wasn't coming back, no matter how much he missed him.
 
Yusuke knew he was doing it again, making himself feel bad. He was beginning to believe he was doing it on purpose. Probably because he knew Keiko was in a lot of pain, knowing what he'd done and having seen it on that stupid tape, and he wanted to make himself feel the same way. He wanted to, even if it killed him. At least then he could get away from life and never have to fucking worry about it again. He knew he couldn't do that, though, not when he had Keiko and Rini to consider. They still needed him, even if they didn't realize it. His daughter might, but he was positive Keiko was trying to convince herself to get over him.
 
Stopping for a moment, Yusuke couldn't help but feel his heart twist at that thought. Keiko was probably trying to convince herself that she didn't need a cheating pervert like himself. Keiko was probably doing a very good job of it. Keiko had always been good at that whenever she needed to forget about something that someone said or did. There was a high possibility that she was still very good at it, which meant she'd probably be able to convince herself she didn't want or need him. His lips parted a little, his breath quickening as his heart told him to rush to Yukina's and hope to God he could convince Keiko otherwise, but his head told him he was being paranoid.
 
“No, damn it,” he whispered to himself. He didn't care what his heart told him at this point, not when Keiko walked out on him because he was trying to help her—them. If Keiko decided that she didn't want to be with him, then he would be fine with that. No, he shook his head; he wouldn't be fine with that. He knew he wouldn't, though he silently wished it were true. But he wouldn't give in simply because his world felt like it was coming down.
 
Urameshi Yusuke never backed down from a challenge. He wouldn't back down from the one he was getting from his wife. If Keiko wanted to be stubborn, then he'd be twice as stubborn, even when he hoped she'd come running back into his arms. She'd cry that she'd been wrong to leave him, even when she hated him for doing what he did, and then they'd be happy again. They'd have more children, and he'd find a different way to find excitement in his life, instead of being unfaithful to her once again.
 
He knew there was going to be a bump in that road, though. Kagome loved Hiei; she'd told him many times when she'd tried to convince him not to go through with sleeping with her the second time. Kagome was sure to break down and tell Hiei everything, which meant he'd probably lost a friend and gained an enemy. Hiei wouldn't allow him to simply walk away from this without first getting a bruise the size of Kyoto, or something removed from his body. Hiei was going to be a big problem, which meant Kurama was also going to be a problem. Yeah, he'd joked about it when he'd first met them, thinking they were a homosexual couple or something, until Hiei punched him in the face that was, but they were close friends. Whatever Hiei knew, Kurama knew, and Kurama got very disappointed in him whenever he even looked at another woman. That meant he'd not only gained one enemy, but two, and possibly three if Kagome decided she also wanted a piece of him, though he doubted she would, from what he knew, she was a very kind and compassionate person.
 
Now that he thought about it, there were going to be many bumps in the road. Whereas Hiei would come out and beat the crap out of him, Kurama would find a way to work from the inside, planting seeds of doubt in the minds of everyone who knew him. Kurama could make everyone hate him, including Keiko if he had enough time, which meant his life would come crashing down. Yusuke allowed his fist to clench inside his pocket, his eyes narrowing as he thought about it. He wasn't going to allow a man he knew had felt something for his wife long ago to have a go at her in this type of situation. He'd kick Kurama's ass if he even found out he was trying to charm Keiko, or worse, try to get her to seek revenge on him.
 
Holding his head up high, Yusuke's eyes hardened as he thought about it. He'd need to think some more, which he knew was more Kurama's department, in order to try and out fox the master. True, he might not deserve Keiko's love any longer after what he'd done, but he wasn't about to let his old friend have her. He'd need to find a way to be stubborn enough to let Keiko come back to him, but also stop Kurama from internally fucking up his relationship.
 
His concentration broke when he noticed two people walking toward him. Oh, fuck, Yusuke cursed, looking around quickly. He needed a place to hide, fast, before they noticed him.
 
You.” Crap, too late, Yusuke thought, turning to look at the man and woman standing in front of him now. He grinned, though it fell when he noticed the way the woman was grabbing onto the man's arm, trying to hide behind him. The anger and hate in the man's eyes told him that there was going to be pain, lots of pain.
 
“Oh,” he said, trying to act casual, hoping she hadn't told him. “Hey, Hiei, what's up?”
 
You,” Hiei hissed once more, and Yusuke knew that he'd been told.
 
OoO
 
“Who was that?” she asked, blinking at her irritated fiancée. Sitting up in bed, she pulled the covers up so that they were held tightly to her breast, and touched his shoulder. “Inuyasha…” her voice trailed off, when suddenly he stood, pacing on the floor, his fists clenching and unclenching every few seconds.
 
“Damn him,” Inuyasha said, grinding his teeth together. “Damn him to Hell.”
 
Kikyo sighed, rolling her eyes a little. “What are you talking about, Inuyasha?”
 
“Sesshoumaru,” Inuyasha snorted.
 
“Oh?” Kikyo stated, though it sounded more like a question. “And what is it that my dear soon-to-be brother-in-law wanted?”
 
“He wanted to tell me that he didn't approve of my choice in women,” Inuyasha said, his voice beginning to rise. “He wanted to merely tell me that I have to return home so that I can come to another stupid fucking business party, or he's going to make it seem like I'm no longer trying to help the company, therefore all the money that's rightfully mine will be taken from me. That stupid fucker is trying to ruin my life, even when our father made it quite clear in his will that both sons were going to get an equal share out of the company.”
 
“Well then, we should go,” Kikyo, said, smiling a little. “After all, Sesshoumaru is most likely only jealous because you have managed to find a willing woman, while he must pick up your left overs.”
 
“Sesshoumaru's not dating Kagome,” Inuyasha snapped, glaring at her. He hated it whenever she tried to make him think that, but he knew that Sesshoumaru wasn't interested in her cousin. Besides, Sesshoumaru worked too much to actually notice any woman, let alone Kagome.
 
“I never said he was,” Kikyo frowned.
 
“Then don't make it seem like it, god damn it,” Inuyasha hissed.
 
“Don't yell at me, Inuyasha,” Kikyo said, her nose wrinkling a bit in her anger.
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, turning his back to her. Deciding that he needed some air, he walked to the balcony and slid the door open, before going out. He heard Kikyo moving around inside, before she came out onto the balcony with him in a bathrobe. Glaring at her for a moment, he sighed, and then turned his attention back to the city below.
 
Kikyo wrapped her arms around his waist, sighing herself. “What's happening to us, Inuyasha?”
 
“Hell if I know,” he muttered.
 
“I think our relationship is becoming ruined because we no longer have the excitement of going behind someone's back to be together,” Kikyo said, placing her chin on his shoulder. She pouted, “I don't like this, but I know I liked it then.”
 
“There's nothing we can do about that now,” Inuyasha frowned.
 
“You could get back together with Kagome,” she suggested.
 
“Can't,” Inuyasha mumbled. “I tried calling her once, just to see if she'd forgive me, since I do like her as a friend, and I got Sango.”
 
“And?” Kikyo asked, trying to make him continue.
 
“Sango told me that if I ever settled eyes on Kagome again that'd she kick my ass,” Inuyasha said, turning his head away. “I might not be afraid of that bitch, but I'm not the type to hit a woman when she doesn't rightfully deserve it. Besides, from what I got out of Sango's yelling, Kagome's got a new boyfriend; a protective boyfriend who'll do even worse then Sango would.”
 
Kikyo blinked, “I didn't know Kagome was dating again.” She smirked a little, nodding to herself. “That's good, she deserves to find someone who will love her as she's always wanted.”
 
He frowned, blinking in confusion. “I thought you hated Kagome?”
 
“I don't. I don't even feel threatened by her,” Kikyo mumbled. “I love Kagome, as my family, but I couldn't allow her to have you, Inuyasha. You're mine, no one elses. Now…”
 
“Yeah?” he mumbled. His eyes drooped down, a deeper frown forming on his lips. He hadn't known that Kikyo loved Kagome, just didn't want her to have him. It would explain why she never tried to harm her, even though they'd get into plenty of fights while he was with Kagome.
 
“Perhaps you should take up Kagura's offer,” Kikyo said.
 
“That bitch?” Inuyasha growled. “There's not way I'm going to hook up with her.”
 
“You want us to work, don't you, Inuyasha?”
 
“Yeah,” he replied, sighing.
 
“Then tell her that you've dumped me and want to go out with her. She'll be excited, I know she will be, and then we'll do as we did with Kagome. We'll secretly meet each other and find the thrill of it, knowing that Kagura could find us at any moment,” Kikyo smiled.
 
“What about that stupid business thing, though? I'm not taking her on my arm, that's for fucking sure.” Inuyasha leaned against the balcony, wondering why he only found pleasure with Kikyo whenever there was a chance of them being found in the act together. That was the reason why he'd always tried to make Kagome feel bad about herself, to make her seem worthless, because she'd never give him what he really wanted. He'd wanted to be able to fuck her, and then go behind her back and fuck Kikyo, getting more pleasure out of it, yet she hadn't given it to him. He scowled, betting that she'd probably given it to this new guy she was with, especially with how much Sango made it seem like she loved the guy.
 
“You can tell her that you have to visit Sesshoumaru or Kouga or someone important and its urgent. I'll go with you to this thing, as you like to put it, and we'll make sure that we're not caught on camera. It will be exciting and dangerous,” Kikyo whispered, grinning.
 
A smirk formed on his lips. “I like danger,” he said.
 
“I know you do,” Kikyo said, pressing closer to him. “Now, why don't you come inside, Inuyasha. We'll celebrate our separation.” Her grin became wider, while she pulled away from him, grabbed his hand, and tugged him back inside the apartment. She'd always loved to come up with plans with him in order to break the heart of some poor girl. She felt bad about Kagome, since they were related, but it had been even more exciting for her because it had been her relative.
 
Even so, she knew Inuyasha loved her and would never betray her for another. No matter how many plans they came up with, and how many hearts he broke, he'd always come running back to her like the faithful doggy that he was. She loved him because she knew he would come back, no matter how many times she thought he might find a soft spot in his heart for another woman.
 
OoO
 
Her tongue shot out, once again taking a small taste of the object in her hand. She smiled, happy to have found a way to get past the guilt that had crashed down on her shoulders since she'd met that monster, Urameshi Yusuke. She was happy, for he always made her happy, no matter what he was doing. He could be scowling at her for laughing at something that happened to him, and she'd still feel happy that he was even paying attention to her, instead of someone else. She figured it was because she still couldn't forget the fact that the man she'd once thought she had feelings for left her for her cousin. Hiei, though, was different, because he wanted her, not someone else.
 
Licking at her ice cream cone once more, she smiled, watching as he did the same, his attention solely on the cone in his hand. His other hand was resting on her hip, and she suspected his sudden public affection was because of his sugar-induced pleasure. She'd noticed the first time that he acted more gentle and affectionate whenever he was drugged with ice cream, and it was slightly funny. It made her heart soar, for he showed a side of him that she rarely saw and told her things that he normally would not say because of his pride.
 
She knew he wasn't paying her any attention, but she wasn't jealous—that would be pointless. She was just happy. Happy to know that he was showing himself in public with her, thoughs she doubted many people knew of what she'd done. To her, though, it seemed that there were tons of people staring at her at once, even when she was all alone. She knew, for she felt that way whenever she wasn't near him. She hadn't noticed it until she was getting the ice cream, asking for one chocolate and one mint chocolate chip, while he waited for her, having given her the money to pay. Once back in his presence, though, she'd felt better, and she didn't want him to leave ever.
 
In fact, she wanted to cling to him, stay with him, and spend every moment with him, as long as he made the guilt go away. As long as he continued to make her happy, but she knew that it most likely wouldn't happen. Since she was little she'd thought about getting married, having children, and spending the rest of her days with the man she loved, but she wasn't so sure anymore. She didn't deserve to marry Hiei, and she didn't think he was even the type to ask a woman to marry him. So, she'd be happy with whatever she got, even if she didn't get to say she completely belonged to him as Jaganshi Kagome, but was his as Higurashi Kagome.
 
Sighing, she covered his free hand in her own, turning her attention to the cone in her hand. Hiei's grip tightened as soon as he realized she was touching the hand he'd placed on her hip, and then slid forward a bit more, resting gently on her thigh. It pulled her closer to him, and she smiled, once again licking at her ice cream. Tilting her head so that she was leaning on his shoulder, she took another lick of her sugary treat, glad to have this moment with him. She hoped to have many more, just like this, without the guilt and the harsh words, and simply the gentle kindness that she knew lay hidden underneath his gruff exterior. The loving kindness that was only uncovered by ice cream and sometimes the aftermath of their love making, but never anytime else.
 
She was happy with that, though, for it made him real, instead of some untouchable being that would never be hers.
 
Smiling, she allowed her eyes to close, and simply took in the moment, happy that everything simply disappeared from around her. She'd felt how she wanted to feel, how she thought she would have felt once she found the person she loved. She remembered Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi always talking about it when they were dating or finally getting married. Of course, she hadn't seen her childhood friends for a long time since Eri got married, Ayumi sought out her dream job, and Yuka went to America to teach at some college. Yuka, she heard, had gotten married, but she hadn't heard from her other friends since they'd left. Even if they weren't there anymore, she was still happy that she was finally experiencing what they got to, and she hoped to experience it forever—or as long as she could.
 
Kagome opened her eyes, looking up at Hiei's face as he continued to give his full attention to his ice cream. She smiled a little more, wondering when her dream had come true. No, she thought, this is better than any dream I could have ever had. It was true, she knew it was, for she had thought that she'd find someone who'd simply fall head over heels in love with her, and then within a few months they'd be married, and live happily ever after, but this was so much better. She had had time to get to know him, to actually understand why he did everything he did, instead of simply falling in love because of looks or something that attracted her to someone else. She got to know him, and to love him because she wanted to love him, instead of simply thinking she loved him, and that made it better than any dream she could have ever had.
 
Turning her eyes back to the sidewalk in front of them, her eyes widened. She suddenly stopped, the ice cream she was holding slipping from her hand as her grip loosen around the cone. Her mouth opened in horror, her body trying to take a step back, while Hiei's grip tightened, obviously having been pulled from his sugar-induced world. Her hands instantly reached for her boyfriend, grabbing hold of his arm, trying to make herself as small as she could.
 
Hiei's attention snapped away as soon as Kagome stopped moving, trying to remove herself from his hold. Turning to look at her, he wondered why she was acting so strangely, until he noticed the fear in her eyes. Anger filled his chest, knowing only one person from Sango that could make Kagome act that way. The man that made Kagome believe that he wouldn't have enough honor to hold true to one woman. Inuyasha. From the things he'd heard, he wouldn't mind kicking his ass as much as he wanted to kick Yusuke's. “Kagome,” he said, his concern hidden well enough that others wouldn't notice it.
 
Holding onto him tighter, her eyes sought out his own. “H-Hiei,” she whimpered, turning her eyes back to the person she'd spotted. She saw him turn his attention to where she was looking, and knew that he'd seen him from the way he stiffened against her.
 
Hatred filled him to the core, hating the man for making Kagome come to act so fearful and dependant. He didn't like her this way, he wanted the Kagome he knew and loved to come back to him. Hiei allowed his hand to fall from her hip, feeling her tighten her hold on him. Thrusting his ice cream toward her, he felt her hand take it, and then stepped toward the person in front of them, his face turning this way and that in order to probably find a way to escape. “You,” Hiei hissed, his eyes narrowing on the man he'd once thought was his friend.
 
Yusuke grinned, though it quickly vanished. “Oh. Hey, Hiei, what's up?”
 
You.”
 
“Hiei,” Kagome whispered. She gave a small gasp when he pulled away from her, and tried to grab him with her free hand, but he was too quick for her. Biting her lip, she shrunk into herself, looking around at some of the people giving her a small look of pity, while others looked slightly jealous that her boyfriend was so protective. There weren't that many people, but she was slightly nervous that a fight might break out. She'd never been one for violence.
 
“Ah,” Yusuke frowned. “I, um, thought we established that the first time ya said it, Hiei.” He didn't like that look in his eyes, nor the fact that he was cracking his knuckles, something he knew Hiei only did whenever he was serious. Stepping backwards, he said, “We… we can talk about this, Hiei.”
 
“Hn,” Hiei muttered darkly. “You don't deserve to explain. I believe I know everything I need to know about you, Urameshi.”
 
“I'm not sure I know what you're talkin'—”
 
Being close enough, Hiei reared his hand back, his fingers curling in toward the palm in order to form a fist. With as much force as he could muster, wanting it to hurt, he shifted forward, throwing his body weight into the equation. Satisfaction filled him when his fist connected with Yusuke's jaw, nearly throwing the taller man off his feet as he fell backwards onto his ass.
 
Yusuke nearly stared in disbelief, wondering when the rest of the punishment was coming. He knew he deserved it, but he wondered why Kagome ran forward, grabbing onto Hiei and tugging him away from him. He knew she was compassionate, but surely she didn't want him to get away without getting the punishment he deserved? Or maybe she didn't know he was married yet? He was sure that once she did, she'd probably also turn on his ass.
 
Glaring at him, he felt Kagome's hand grip his shirt. “You're lucky, Urameshi. If it was not for my girlfriend, I wouldn't have stopped.” Hiei stopped for a moment. “But do not feel lucky, Urameshi. If I hear that you've come near Kagome again, I'll make sure you end up with more than a broken jaw.” The threat hung heavily on the air, as Hiei grabbed Kagome's hand possessively, and stomped away.
 
Reaching up, Yusuke found that his lip was bleeding, and flinched at the pain in his jaw. It probably wasn't broken, but he knew it was better to be safe than sorry. Besides, he doubted that Hiei was going to let him get away with only one little hit. He'd be back, and when he came, Kagome wouldn't be with him. Staring down at the ground, he snorted, and then went to stand.
 
“Are you alright?”
 
Looking up, he found a man staring down at him. “Yeah, I'm fine,” Yusuke, said, wiping at his lip.
 
The man grinned, “Good, `cause I don't like hitting a man when he's down.”
 
“What?” Yusuke asked.
 
The man's gaze turned hard. “From what I saw, I take it you must be Yusuke, correct?”
 
“Yeah, what of it?” Yusuke spat. He didn't like where this was going. The pretty boy in front of him was standing too close, with too much confidence, and acted like he was going to like beating him up. For a moment, Yusuke wondered where the hell his fighting skills and attitude went for a moment, but shrugged it off. Now was not the time to be thinking of those types of things.
 
“Kagome's my girlfriend's sister,” the man replied. “I asked her why the hell she's been acting strange, and according to her, she slept with a man named Yusuke and feels bad about it. Not only that, but this man also blackmailed her into doing it a second time, no matter how many times she tried to get him to stop by telling him that she was in love. You might not understand that, but Kagome prides herself on being faithful to the man she loves, and because of you, she didn't get that.”
 
“I don't even know who the hell you are!” Yusuke snapped.
 
“Doesn't matter, you hurt Kagome.”
 
“Bankotsu! Bankotsu, there you are!”
 
Bankotsu turned his head. “Not now, Jakotsu. I'm going to teach this guy a lesson on treating a woman with proper respect. I think Hiei had the right idea, but Kagome's too nice to allow him to finish the job.”
 
Jakotsu straightened, his joyful eyes filling with anger as he turned his attention toward the man standing in front of his brother. “So,” his voice was serious, “this is the man that hurt my little Kagome?”
 
“Yeah,” Bankotsu replied.
 
Jakotsu smiled seductively, “He deserves whatever you throw at him then, brother.”
 
Yusuke's eyes flickered between them. The one wearing blue seemed more threatening than the cross-dressing man standing next to him, if it was a man, but he'd learned when he was younger that looks didn't matter. Especially not when the smiling cross-dresser suddenly turned into a solid block of anger staring at him through hardened eyes. That change nearly made this Jakotsu guy seem nuts.
 
“But this should be a private matter,” Jakotsu continued. “Tell you what, I'll tie him up, and you can tell me where to take him. I'm sure we can lots of fun with him once there.”
 
“Wonderful idea, brother,” Bankotsu grinned.