InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ +Like a Battery - ❯ Chapter Five: ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Like a Battery



By: RisuBento



Chapter Five:



oo0O0oo



It'd been almost 3 months since Tao and his mother began staying at his grandmother's. Kagome never told him 'why' she'd left his father…and he never asked. He didn't want to know.

Now, it was winter and the flu was going around. Tao had already had two bouts of the stomach flu. He'd effectively passed it on to his mother and uncle. Souta had gotten better within a few days but his mother was vomiting a lot. She'd had it for almost a month now. She'd have high fevers and would be confined to her bed almost all the time.

Tao was worried sick. He'd begun staying in his mother's room, on a chair beside her bed at all times, just as she had done when he was sick. They'd gone to the doctor many times but she was only told that she needed to drink lots of fluids and have a lots and lots of rest.

Finally, about the 5th week in of her flu extravaganza, her fever broke and she was able to keep some chicken broth down.

He was so happy.

Inuyasha had come by and was now conversing in the living room with his, Tao's, mother and grandmother. They were talking about a Christmas get together or something.


"HEY!" His uncle Souta whined dramatically, for a 21 year old. "You cheated!"

Tao smirked and looked up at his uncle innocently. "I don't know what you're talking about uncle. You know as well as I do that I don't know how to play this game and am not very good at this so far."

Souta pouted and glared at the video game playing on the tv screen.

Tao grinned and snickered. He'll never tell his uncle about the codes he'd found on some website off the Internet.

"Hey Tao?" Came his mother's voice from the doorway. Turning around he smiled and found her standing there in his favorite light yellow sundress. (A/N: Shouldn't she be freezing her ass off!? It's frickin' winter outside!)

"Yeah mom?" He asked, winding up the cord around his controller and putting it away in the drawer beneath the television.

"Your father…wants to talk to you." She said.

Tao hesitated before nodding and taking the phone with her.

"Hello?"

"Tao?" Came his father's booming voice.

"Yeah dad?" He asked, going up to his bedroom and closing the door.

There was a pregnant pause before his father spoke again. "I just…wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I know I forgot it last year. Your mother told me." Sesshoumaru admitted, rather painfully.

Tao felt a lump in his throat form. 'My birthday isn't for another week…'. "Dad?"

"Yes?"

"When…are you and mom going to make up?" He asked quietly, glancing at the door to make his mother hadn't snuck up on him.

There was a painful pause on the other end and that was all he needed for an answer.

"I'll see you sometime dad… Bye." He said about to hang up when he heard a click on the other end.

Dang.



oo0O0oo




His birthday was…okay. Nothing too extravagant. Just him, his mother, both his uncles and his grandmother. His grandmother had made an enormous double fudge cake with extra chocolate frosting---just the way he liked it.

That was DEEEEE---LICIOUS!

He'd gotten an assorted amount of gifts. A Playstation Portable from his uncle Inuyasha, along with some games for it. A large assortment of art supplies from his mother. Which was VERY much appreciated. A knitted sweater from his grandmother that he'll probably 'NEVER' wear. And last, a portable Discman, with a burned misc. CD from his uncle Souta.

He was now flopping onto his bed and opening his Discman. No batteries. Hm. Maybe Grandma had some.

Standing up he was making his way down the stairs when his mother's and grandmother's voice caught his attention.

"…no sweetheart. There's nothing wrong with the way you feel. It's normal to have mixed emotions about your spouse when you're both separated---Oh hello, Tao." His grandmother said, noticing him in the doorway.

He saw his mother stiffen, before resuming her dish washing.

"I just…need some batteries for my CD player. Uncle Souta forgot to get some." He explained.

"Oh! Well…he DID get some but he forgot to wrap them with the gift." His grandmother chuckled and went over to a cabinet and withdrew a package of 10.

"Thanks." He said, taking the package and running back up to his room. Before long…his curiosity got the better of him and he quietly wandered back down the stairs.

Standing just out of sight, he listened to his mother and grandmother speak.

"…Sesshoumaru doesn't know when to stop. He…I know he's been seeing other women." Kagome said, drying her hands with a towel.

"Kagome…do you…love him?" His grandmother asked, leaning against the counter and drinking a cup of tea.

Kagome stilled her movements before sighing.

"Love? Love's…like... a battery." His mother sighed. "Sometimes it lasts forever…other times…the juice inside just runs out and…dies."

'Batteries?' He wondered.

It was about 5 minutes later did he realize that they weren't going to be talking any longer, so he trudged his way back upstairs and into his room. Stripping down to his boxers he jumped onto his bed and hissed in pain when something sharp jabbed him in the back.

Pulling it out from underneath him, he quirked an eyebrow when he saw that it was his battery package. Just when he was about to toss it onto the floor a single word on the plastic package caught his attention.

"Rechargeable batteries…" He said quietly to himself.

He recalled his mother's words. "Love is like batteries…it can last forever…other times…the juice inside dries up and…dies."

Suddenly, it hit him. "If batteries can be recharged…couldn't love?"

Brilliant.



oo0O0oo



Th ere. Another stinky chapter. I tell ya… I'm not really getting into the groove here today.

TODAY IS MY