InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ *Over a Box of Wax Rainbows* ❯ Yellow ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Over a Box of Wax Rainbow's
By: RisuBento
Disclaimer: I own nothing except the plot of this here story.
Chapter Three: Yellow
oo0O0oo

It was nap time during her kindergarten class. Kagome sank exhaustedly into a comfy red bean bag and closed her eyes. She slipped her shoes from her feet and was just crossing her legs when Rin suddenly popped up in front of her.
"Rin? Can't you sleep?" She asked, sitting up and moving over so Rin could sit next to her.
Rin plopped down and shook her head.
"Papa has a cold and he was sneezing last night. It kept Rin awake." Rin sighed, leaning her head against her teacher's belly.
Kagome smiled and began to run her fingers through the young girl's ebony locks.
She and Sesshoumaru have been seeing one another for almost 3 and a half weeks. It was so…different and yet so exhilarating to be in a relationship with someone. Kagome couldn't really remember the last time she'd actually been on a date with another man…other than going out with her girlfriends and guyfriends. That was different.
Opening her eye's once again she glanced at the clock and groaned. Only ten more minutes until the little monsters wake up again.
She laughed at the nickname for her students. Indeed they could be little monsters at times but all in all, they were like Mike and Sulley from "Monsters, Inc."----supposedly scary yet not scary at all. She could handle them. She has been for almost 2 years now.
Licking her chapped lips, she grimaced at the thought of kissing Sesshoumaru with them and how he must think they feel strange against his soft ones.
That's exactly how he kissed her too…soft and gentle. The barest touch of his lips to hers and she became an instant puddle. Rin was now fast asleep and was mumbling something incoherent. Kagome had gotten to know Rin so much more in the past few weeks than she had in the past 3 months since school had started.
She learned that she, Rin, and her father both liked Cream Soda. That she liked Batman, and Sesshoumaru liked Spiderman. She learned that Sesshoumaru didn't like mushrooms and Rin was one of those people who piled them high on top of every food. She even learned that both Sesshoumaru and Rin don't like yogurt. It made them both gag. One had to wonder how they kept Jell-O down…seeing as how it jiggled slightly the same way yogurt does.
Smiling even bigger, she slowly stood up from the bean bag, lowering Rin gently into it, and wandered over to the phone attached to the wall. First dialing a 9, she then dialed Sesshoumaru's number.
Closing her eyes and leaning her head against the doorway she glanced back at her kids just as the telephone was picked up.
"H-hello?" Came a raspy voice.
"Sesshoumaru? Rin said you were sick. Are you doing all right?" She asked, suddenly feeling overprotected.
"What? Oh…no I'm doing----" Sesshoumaru started only to erupt in a coughing fit that made Kagome wince.
"No…you're not all right. I'll come over after school and check up on you all right?" She said, leaving no room for an argument.
"Fine." Came his curt reply.
"All right. Nap time is just about over so I'll see you then all right?" She sighed, looking back at the mat covered floor with snoozing children.
A light grunt followed by a snore was her answer.
0
oo0O0oo
0
Rin was chattering happily in the back seat about something exciting and new that she'd drawn just the other day. Kagome was smiling and nodding happily every so often…but her mind was some place else.
'I wonder if Sesshoumaru celebrates Christmas… He's never really seemed all that religious or festive before.'
Shrugging it off she turned down the street that held Sesshoumaru and Rin's apartment. Parking the car, she unbuckled turned to Rin in the back seat.
"Your papa is probably sleeping right now, Rin, so we'll have to be extra quiet. All right?" She smiled.
Rin beamed and nodded, unbuckling herself and climbing out.
The apartment was quiet and very dark. As a matter of fact, she opened the door and found herself suddenly on the floor. Rin stifled a giggle of delight and flipped the light on. Kagome looked down and found that she'd tripped over a pair of Sesshoumaru's sneakers that were carelessly left in the middle of the doorway.
Grumbling about 'stupid sneakers' and such, Kagome hoisted herself up and ventured into the living room---where she found a lightly snoring Sesshoumaru with the phone off the hook. She bit her lip and attempted to not smile at the sight and went over to hang up the phone.
"Kagome? Rin's going to go down to Shippou's apartment okay?" Rin said, after coming back from the bathroom.
"All right. Do you want me to come with you?" Kagome asked, removing her mittens and jacket.
Rin shook her head and giggled, pointing at her father. "No. Papa probably wants you all to himself." She giggled again and closed the apartment door behind her.
Kagome felt her face flame up and she turned back to the man lying on the couch. 'Where did Rin learn to talk like that?'
Shaking her head, she looked back down at Sesshoumaru and sighed. Feeling his forehead at the same time she felt her own, he indeed had a high fever. Of all the times to get sick. Just before Christmas.
Going into the kitchen, she found the washcloth drawer and pulled out a clean one; running it under cold water.
Everything was so wonderful in her life at the moment. She had a nice boyfriend, her classes were as 'rambunctious' as ever and Souta had just called the other night stating that his high school soccer team had won the championship at the dome in Tokyo.
Yep...everything was great.
"K'gome...?" Came a mumble from right next to her. She sat up and realized that she'd dozed off for a little while and that it was close to supper time. Looking over next to her, she smile softly when she saw a rousing Sesshoumaru. He was looking around groggily, with feverish eyes. The washcloth had long slipped from his forehead and was drying on his shirt collar; leaving behind a big wet spot.
"Hey Sesshoumaru. How're you feeling?" She asked, brushing some sweaty bangs from his forehead.
"Ugh…like I hit by a semi before being trampled by a horse." He groaned, his voice thick with mucus.
Kagome scrunched her nose up and stood up. "I'll go get some Advil for you, okay?" She asked, rubbing her goosebump covered arms. She was about to turn away when a pair of arms latched themselves around her waist. 'What's he doing?' Her mind screamed. She placed her hands on his shoulders to steady herself.
"Thank you…for coming by." He mumbled, hugging her closely, his nose rubbing against her belly. Kagome smiled and ran her hands through his hair.
"You're welcome. I was worried all day today when Rin mentioned that you were up all last night. She was so tired during class today as well." She said.
Sesshoumaru nodded and pulled back. "Where is she?"
"She went down to Shippou's right after we got here." Kagome called over her shoulder before she went into the bathroom.
Sesshoumaru swallowed painfully and sighed, leaning back. Draping an arm across his eyes he began to wonder why it felt so nice to have someone taking care of him.
He couldn't remember a time when someone had taken care of him. Maybe when he was younger and was growing up…but ever since he moved out from his parents home, it was only him, and sometimes Rin, who took care of him.
Kagura never did anything for anyone else. She did have a caring side to her but you had to prod and prod until you can finally break the glass shields around her.
Opening his eyes when he heard footsteps, he watched as Kagome cracked open an Advil bottle and pour out the correct amount needed for him. She was opening the cupboards like she knew the place and had been living there since forever. He had to admit…it was such an amazing and warming thing to see.
She belonged in a kitchen…in 'his' kitchen.
Oh what was he thinking…here they are not even seeing one another for a month and he's thinking about forever. But…he supposed that that's what he did…he thought about his future…TOO MUCH.
"Here you are." She smiled, coming over and sitting on the sturdy coffee table, holding out a hand with four pills and a glass of water.
"Thank you." He said, sitting up and gulp the gel-filled pills down. After doing so, he collapsed back down onto the couch and closed his eyes.
"Do you want anything else? Are you hungry at all?" She asked, covering him up with a blanket that was draped across the back of his couch.
"No. I don't think I'll be able to keep anything down at all." He mumbled, swallowing painfully once more.
"All right. I'm going to head out and go down the bakery around the corner and pick something up for Rin to eat. I'll be back soon." She said, standing up and moving towards the door.
Sesshoumaru nodded and closed his eyes.
When he heard the door closed he waited until he was sure she was at least on the level below, before letting out a rash cough fit. He didn't understand what was wrong with him. He and Rin both had gotten their flu immunizations. They'd gotten them in early October.
Lifting up his shirt he began to vigorously scratch at his stomach. Groaning and looking down, he noticed that he had red spots and boils forming on his skin. Oh no…he didn't want to think about what they were. Chicken Pox.
Groaning again, he finally concluded that he had in fact NEVER had the chicken pox when he was younger. Rin had already had them so she wasn't in danger. Funny…he just HAD to get them when Kagome came over. Hopefully she's already had them. He didn't want to be the cause of her getting sick if she hadn't had them before.
Kagome…
A small smile graced his lips when he thought of the woman who captivated his mind every waking second. She was so…innocent. So mysterious. She was the kind of person that let off mysterious vibes that made someone slowly pine away, wanting to get to know her. She was something entirely different from any other women that he'd known intimately. Which wasn't very many but…yeah.
Anyways…Kagome was someone that you could depend on when you needed guidance…or advice. She was always there to listen to your problems, never interrupting you or scoffing in annoyance. She was absolutely wonderful with children. He knew that Rin really adored her and was becoming increasingly attached to her everyday. So was he. She was always so calm and cool about everything.
What made him really smile, was the fact that she was still quite shy when it came to any close contact between them. If he were to lean down and kiss her, she hesitate for a moment before pecking him on the lips back and pull away with a school girl's blush cutely staining her cheeks.
She was a lovely woman and one had to wonder why she wasn't in a relationship already. Heck…he was certainly surprised to find that she was NOT married and had no kids of her own. She was truly someone he could look for in life. She was so…sweet. Always smiling, always thinking about the good sides of people; never judging others.
She was someone he 'needed' in his life. Someone who would help him through the good times and the bad. Someone who was so sweet and caring, yet so incredibly insecure about herself.
Smiling to himself, he was just dozing off when the door opened again and in popped Rin.
"Hiya papa. Are you feeling any better?" She asked, carelessly tossing her coat onto the floor in a crumpled flump.
"No…Papa's got the chicken pox." He said hoarsely.
"Oh…Rin's sorry. Did Rin give it to papa?" She asked, sitting on the couch opposite to him.
He shook his head. "No. You had the chicken pox when you were much, much younger. I probably got it from someone else." He said.
Rin nodded and opened up her backpack. "Here papa. Rin drawed some more pictures for you." She smiled, holding out a stack of crinkled up and creased papers. Sesshoumaru smiled weakly and took them.
They were quite amazing for a 4-year-old. They were different designs with paints, finger paints, no doubt. Some were pictures of him and her drawing during "DOODLE DIME". Others, were just little scribbles of different words and pictures to go with them.
"They're wonderful Rin. You'll be an artist like papa by the time you turn 5." He said, his eyes drooping closed.
"You really think so papa?" Rin asked, an excited light, brightening her eyes up. He nodded and distinctly heard Kagome's voice once again, telling Rin to wash up, before he fell into a dreamless sleep.
0
oo0O0oo
0
It was now a month after Christmas and from when he'd had the chicken pox. Kagome had literally freaked out when she saw the red spots and boils forming on his arms and face. She had to duct tape oven mits onto his hands so he wouldn't scratch them any further than he'd already had. To say he was grumpy was an understatement of hell. He was Oscar the Grouch, from Sesame Street, only multiplied times a thousand. He'd literally snapped at Rin and Kagome for silly reasons and was left with a sniffling Rin and Kagome giving him the cold shoulder. They'd forgiven him when he was finally able to keep some food down.
So now here they were, walking through a park with Rin running ahead of them, looking like a fat little penguin in her snowpants and jacket. She was currently making a snow angel. Sesshoumaru glanced down at Kagome walking next to him and swallowed before bringing his hand over and intertwining his gloved fingers with hers. She hesitated in her walking for a moment before biting her lip and ducking her head. He smiled. No doubt she was blushing like a school girl once again.
He gave her hand a squeeze before turning down a path made in the snow by Rin.
"Where're we going?" She asked, almost jogging in attempts to keep up with him.
"Somewhere. You'll see." He said, heading towards a small grove of trees.
Kagome looked back and sighed when she saw Rin playing with a large group of kids her age. Their mother's sitting close by.
When he stopped in the middle of a clearing she looked around, wondering what they were doing here. Her answer came seconds after when she found herself with his lips gently caressing hers. She pulled back with surprise and bit her lip before licking them and leaning up once again. Sesshoumaru smirked against her mouth and cupped her face in his hands.
The emotions she felt running through her limbs, down to her legs, into her toes and fingers, was definitely something she'd never felt before. It was something…extraordinarily amazing…she couldn't explain all the warm sensations she received from it all.
"Papa! Kagome!" Came a cheery call from somewhere. They both pulled back and Kagome smiled sheepishly. Sesshoumaru felt the sides of his mouth quirk up in a small grin before leaning down and pecking her gently on the lips. He then, told hold of her hand once again and they both began to head back out from the trees and into the park.
Rin was sitting in the snow looking around with for them. When she heard crunching footsteps behind her, she whirled around and threw a snowball at her father.
"Hey!" Sesshoumaru protested, dropping his arms from his weak defense.
"Papa! You ran off with Kagome and didn't say to Rin where you were going!" Rin exclaimed, rolling up another ball of snow and launching it at her father once again, who easily dodged it.
"What're you gonna do Rin?" Sesshoumaru teased, balling up a snowball himself.
"Rin's going to give you five spankings and then tell papa to go into the corner and then…Rin will ground you for life!" Rin smiled, proud of herself for thinking up such a punishment.
"Oh really…well then. I guess I'll have to accept…but only if you beat me!" He yelled, throwing the soft snowball at his daughter. Rin squealed and covered her head; the snowball hitting her in the back.
Rin immediately launched another one, only to hit Kagome when Sesshoumaru pulled her in front of him as a shield.
"HEY! I'm not your bodyguard mister!" Kagome yelled, turning around and smacking him on the arm.
A snowball hit Kagome in the butt and she squealed, whirling around and laughing at a giggling Rin.
"All right then…you both have asked for it…this is WAR!" She yelled, running behind a tree and scooping up a wad of snow. She launched it at Sesshoumaru who also jumped behind a tree.
It was about an hour later that they'd finally stopped their snowball fight. They were all laughing, panting, and were currently collapsing onto a nearby bench.
"Papa? You know the snowball Rin threw and hit you in the mouth?" Rin asked, scooting in between her father and teacher.
"Yes." For added affect, he made a spitting sound, indicating that he had something, like grass, still in his mouth, which made her giggle.
"Well… just so papa knows…it was yellow snow." And with that she got up and ran into the snowy field, leaving a gagging and coughing Sesshoumaru and a laughing Kagome sitting on the bench.

oo0O0oo
There. That was another chapter that I didn't really enjoy too much. Oh well.
Thanks to everyone who's reviewed!
REVIEW SOME MORE!
Ta, lovelies!
RisuBento