InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Shards of Our Memories": The Soap Opera ❯ Chapter 3: He's Young and Restless! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: See, I'm trying to find one of those magical cupboards that turn plastic figures into life (you know, like "Indian in the Cupboard"?) Then I'll buy the new Inuyasha Toynami action figure and work my magic. Until that day, I don't own him.

A/N: So, you enjoyed chapter 2 and its wolf-y goodness? I did too. But, this new chapter has been the most fun to write. For one, Inuyasha is finally here (:;throws confetti ::) and Sango too!

Thanks for your reviews! They're so encouraging- keep em' coming! ; )

CHAPTER 3: The Young and the Restless

:

:

:

:

I suppose that when you're a seasoned actor, you take things for granted. The fact

that you get paid to put on another persona is part of your life. You learn to let your filming schedules melt into your daily routine, and they also become a part of you. A script is like your grocery list, so mundane that you forget that sometimes your writers had sweated out blood in order to make it to deadline. And, among the whirl of wrap-up parties and free drinks and obsessive fans, it's easy to forget how to live a simple life.

It's easy to forget how fast one little moment can cause your whole created life to spin off in to nothing, and leave you with the feeling that all those parties, all those fans, mean nothing next to what real life and off-screen emotion can bring.

Inuyasha Tanaka, over his many years in the business, had learned these lessons. And, he felt glad to be out of the spotlight, remembering what trouble it had bought him. Simple was better. Maybe even being alone was best, so you could learn all those lessons before testing them out on real people…

...Yes, alone seemed to suit him better…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kagome, on the other hand, was anything but a seasoned actor. She had the filming schedules, the script and the studio, but she had not yet forgotten how quickly she had risen to her position. Her mind still nagged her about the fact that her world could topple at any moment, even before the pilot episode had aired.

And, while listening to her mind nag, she also was noticing how fast Souten moved and how quickly she spoke. The small, dark-haired girl was currently giving Kagome a tour of the guts of the studio, to make her feel better acquainted before filming of the pilot episode began.

The halls beside the soundstage were knotted with thick wires that ran around the corners, bringing energy and power to the heavy cameras, microphones and overhead lights. There were many doors down the hall serving as dressing rooms for the main cast. Kagome's stomach jumped a little as she read her name printed in thick, black letters on the door nearest to them. As she entered, she was in awe of the spaciousness of the dressing room. The walls were lined with wide mirrors and vanity lights. There were two small stools and a director's chair placed in front of the mirrors, a couch, a closet, and even her own refrigerator.

"Wow……this is better than my apartment…." She breathed, taking in the deep, rich blue of the carpet and the salmon color of the plump couch.

Souten smiled quietly. "I'm glad you like it." She looked on as Kagome entertained herself with switching the vanity lights on and off, and running her fingers along the smooth counter. "Your makeup and hair artist should be here any time." Kagome nodded, and thanked her, and Souten left to prepare for filming.

Kagome sat on the pink couch, sighing in contentment in the air-conditioned room. As she settled in to the comfortable material, there came a soft knock at the door.

"Come in!" she called, sitting up straight in her seat, and smoothing back her shirt.

As the door opened, Kagome saw a woman about her age standing in the hall. She had long, deep brown hair that was pulled into a high ponytail, and a pleasant expression on her rounded face. Making sure she hadn't interrupted Kagome, she smiled sweetly and stepped in. Kagome returned her bright smile and she leapt up to shake the girl's hand.

"Kagome, right?" the girl had a light, feminine voice, a mix of politeness and underlying strength. "My name is Sango. I'm your makeup and hair artist!"

"It's very nice to meet you, Sango." Kagome immediately liked Sango's open smile and her dark eyes that radiated a sense of kindness and humor.

They stood for a moment, hand in hand, assessing one another, until Sango finally spoke. "Well, if you'd like to get started, you can sit over here…." She gestured to the chair in front of the vanity.

"Oh, of course…." As Kagome took her seat at the vanity, Sango opened her large makeup case, setting out various tubes and bottles along with hair instruments. "I'll just have to warn you that this is the first time I've been on a studio set like this for longer than one audition….I'm still positive that this is one elaborate prank that some very heartless person decided to play on me…"

Sango giggled, seeing Kagome's wry smile in the mirror. "I'm sure you're a wonderful actress…."

"I'm glad you think so!"

"….Anyway, Sesshomaru Tanaka doesn't really seem the one for practical jokes, does he?" Sango began rolling Kagome's thick, black hair into large curlers, her thin fingers moving deftly up the actress's scalp.

"I guess you're right," Kagome laughed. "I just hope that the filming goes smoothly today. Everyone in the cast has been pretty nice to me, though they can be somewhat……I don't know…"

"….Arrogant?…Spacy?"

Kagome laughed. "I see you've met Kouga……and Kanna."

Sango chuckled. "Yes, I have. Both of them. That Kouga is quite a character."

"….Isn't he, though!"

"Well, I'm sure you'll do just fine today, Kagome. Slip-ups are bound to happen, but you seem competent enough to handle them."

"You seem very confident in my acting ability without having ever seen me act!"

"Well, I trust in Hiten's ability to cast…..not only that, you seem like a very genuine person.."

Kagome smiled shyly. "That's very nice of you to say."

Sango grinned at Kagome, meeting her eyes in the mirror's reflection. "Anytime…" She swiftly pinned Kagome's rolled hair against her head, with smooth fingers.

"Now, it's time to apply your makeup while these are setting…" she laid out a row of tools, and, before Kagome could even survey the assortment, Sango had begun to work….

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For Inuyasha, today seemed like it was starting out beautifully. It was normal, by mid-morning, to have received at least twenty calls from solicitors who were hoping to get his support, his opinion, his money, or all of the above. But, today had started off smoothly. Not one unwanted call yet, and it was almost 11 am. Maybe his agent had finally gotten around to blocking his number from unknown callers like he had asked….Or maybe it was just his lucky day.

Rolling his joints until they cracked in various places, he began warming up for his normal morning workout. Being able to flex his hardened muscles against a punching bag always did wonders for his state of mind, usually relieving his thoughts of the nightmares he suffered. He grunted to himself, as he made a rush at the thick bag. Sidestepping quickly, he aimed a swift roundhouse kick at the punching bag, the instep of his foot hitting with a resounding smack. He sighed, pleased with himself, as he moved back and forth lightly on the balls of his feet.

He felt more energized than usual, as sweat rose on his forehead, and his temples pounded with blood. He darted in, landing a series of thudding punches against the leathery material.

And, as he stretched his muscles for the final blow against his opponent, all of the beauty and intrigue of the morning was smashed and fell piece-by-piece into oblivion.

Smashed by a lone ring in the silence of his makeshift dojo.

It was the damned phone. Ringing. Now asserting itself as the hell-spawn of Inuyasha's deepest loathing.

Not being able to contain his growing anger, Inuyasha couldn't prevent a string of the most vicious of words from escaping from between clenched teeth. He stalked straight to the phone, his entire body seething.

Yanking it out of the cradle, he screamed as menacingly as humanly possible into the phone. "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!"

"Good morning, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha had now remembered something that he hated even more than telephones- that voice.

"Didn't I fucking tell you to never call me here?!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kagome breathed out, nervously, her hair pulled into a tight mass of curls, and her face painted in many layers of powders and creams. When she had first seen herself in the vanity mirror after Sango had finished, she had barely even recognized herself. Not only was her hair perfect and without a strand out of place, but her face was flawless. You couldn't even see the dust of freckles over the bridge of her nose, or the tiny blemish on her forehead. Sango was truly a miracle worker.

Currently, she was standing on the set of the sound stage, which contained a very realistic makeshift living room, complete with hardwood floor, fireplace and overstuffed chairs. Hiten was adjusting the lights and the camera to be able to frame Kagome nicely, as she tried to calm her nerves.

As she fidgeted in the bright light, Kouga stepped up behind her, touching the back of her arm lightly. She turned to face him, giving him a nervous smile.

"You look wonderful. Perfect for the part."

"Thank you, Kouga."

"So, do you think you're ready, Kagome?"

She nodded shakily. "I…..I hope so."

He threw his arm around her shoulder, pulling her into a friendly hug. "Don't worry, we have time to make this shot perfect. You'll do just fine. You're a very good actress…"

She blinked, startled, as Hiten brought the lights up to full power. "So I've been told…"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As the actors and the technicians were preparing for filming to commence, a very ponderous Sesshomaru was poised at his desk. His brilliant mind was darting in circles as he worked to solve his problem. He hummed out lightly for a moment, trying to piece his plan together, before he pressed a button on the telephone that sat beside his elbow.

"Jaken!" He spoke into his phone, his voice clipped and commanding as if he were speaking to a dog. "Call the lawyer from the set. Tell him to come in here."

"Of course, Mister Sesshomaru! I'll make sure the scum gets in there right away!"

Sesshomaru hung up without so much as a `thank you', leaving Jaken to do his bidding.

After a few minutes of stony silence within Sesshomaru's expansive office, the door opened, and in walked the (not-so-trustworthy) lawyer of Kakera Studios. With a slimy smile plastered on his face, he made a mock-bow to the producer behind the desk, his eyebrows flexing sinisterly across his forehead.

"You called for me, Sesshomaru?"

Sesshomaru turned to face his computer screen, not even taking the effort to look the man's way. "I need some assistance, Naraku."

"Assistance? With a legal matter?"

"Perhaps." Sesshomaru shifted in his chair, though he still did not turn to face the standing Naraku. "As `Shards of Our Memories' grows in popularity- as it will, because it is my show- it will be necessary to introduce more characters into the plot. I'm going to need another leading man…preferably someone that is high-profile and well-known so that we may draw more viewers…"

"….And stomp on the other daytime networks."

"Precisely."

"…You want me to find you another actor?" Naraku spoke the suggestion as if he was insulted by the idea.

"No, that is Hiten's job. Unless we come up with the solution right now, we may have to go through another audition process."

Naraku sat slowly in the chair opposite Sesshomaru, letting his dark, wavy hair fall across the back of the chair. "You need help with finding candidates?"

Sesshomaru tapped his fingers together, his face void of emotion besides the flash of his golden eyes. "I have many ideas." Naraku was a fool. Sesshomaru glared at the idea that he might ever stoop so low as to ask a coward lawyer for ideas on how to produce his own series.

"…Ideas….?" Naraku repeated, trying to coax a response out of the silent producer.

"There are plenty of actors on other soap operas on lower networks who would most likely make the trade to work with Kakera Studios, that is a fact."

"….You don't want those actors?"

"I don't want another studio's waste, Naraku." Sesshomaru spoke condescendingly. "I want to make a move that nobody will suspect."

"And, that means you want a new star?"

"I want…..someone who's name everyone will recognize and who's series everyone will watch…."

Naraku frowned. "Then, you'd want someone like your brother….But, he's been out of the business for years…."

If you looked closely at that moment, it was possible to see a tiny bit of reluctance and hatred move the muscles of that marble face. It was tough to admit aloud, especially to someone like Naraku. "My brother would be ideal."

"But, he would never agree to do this, let alone help you out…." The Tanaka brothers had never had a strong bond between them, but in the past years, they hadn't even communicated as distant relatives might.

"I understand this. This is where you come in. I need to get him back in this studio. Inuyasha is simple-minded and unbelievably stubborn. He's lived like a hermit for almost three years now, and he won't come unless there is something forcing him to…"

Naraku's shrewd mind jumped into action, his beady eyes narrowed in thought. "…A contract…"

Sesshomaru nodded. "His contract that was signed before `Soul Sharing' began filming. I do not know the terms of the contract. After the accident happened, it was natural to let him do as he pleased. But, it's been long enough for those initial wounds to heal, for him to at least starting rebuilding his life. He still has more time indebted to Kakera Studios, and I want you, as our lawyer, to force him back."

"The contract explicitly stated that Inuyasha would work under you for six years."

"He only fulfilled three of those years. Can we get him back?"

Naraku smiled, almost evilly. "It is completely within our rights. The contract was never officially broken. Unless he wants to be brought to court over this, he'll have to fulfill the contract negotiations."

"You are positive?"

"Yes."

"Well, then. That is settled. I think it's time to give my dear brother a friendly call."

He picked up the receiver from his phone, and dialed with ease.

After a few long rings, a very angry Inuyasha was yelling in Sesshomaru's ear.

"Good morning, Inuyasha."

"Didn't I fucking tell you to never call me here?!"

Sesshomaru held the phone at arm's length from his ear for a brief moment, waiting for Inuyasha to calm down. Then, he placed the receiver to his ear once more, and continued on with resolve. "It's wonderful to hear your voice too, Brother," he returned sarcastically.

"Well I hope you know you've interrupted a wonderful day," Inuyasha growled, combatively. "Why the hell are you calling me, Sesshomaru?" He spit out the name, disgusted.

"I need you to help me with something."

"You need me to WHAT?!" Inuyasha spluttered. "You want me to help you?" He laughed humorlessly. "It's a little early in the morning for prank calls."

"I see you're still as thick-headed as ever, Brother." Inuyasha growled again at Sesshomaru's disdainful tone. "I am currently producing a new television series, and I need a big-name star for another lead. I am convinced that you are what we need."

Inuyasha snorted angrily. Hadn't anybody listened to him when he had plainly announced that he had quit? "Forget it, Sesshomaru! I'm not in that business anymore, so you can count me out!"

Sesshomaru sat forward in his chair, his eyes narrowing icily, and his voice losing the sarcastic edge. "Did I ever ask you if you wanted to help me? I'm not going to make this your choice, Inuyasha. And, I always get my way…"

"Fucking leave me alone, asshole! I'm not going to act in your stupid shows anymore, and I'm not going to play your mind games, so stop calling me!"

"What if you were forced by law to do so?"

"What are you planning to do, sic your minions on me? I'm sorry, but I don't follow….."

"You had a contract, Inuyasha."

"Correction: I HAD one, but it's void now!"

"I have a man sitting across from me who says it is not. I think you remember Naraku."

Inuyasha's blood boiled at the name. Naraku was a coward. He was filth. Sesshomaru only kept him as a strategic ally, and because he had such a crafty mind. "Naraku's there? I'll take him on any day!"

"It's a legal contract, Inuyasha. You signed it, and you agreed to it yourself. It was never broken, and any court of law would take our side."

"You would stoop so low as to battle me in court?" He huffed.

Sesshomaru glanced at the sharp-eyed lawyer across from him. "Naraku would."

Inuyasha's previously contented thoughts swam with new hatred for his arrogant brother. All he had asked for was to be left alone, and never have to enter the messy world of television again. "I think you're bluffing."

"I think you know I'm dead serious."

The younger brother remained silent for a moment, as he tried to come up with a new argument.

"It's not the time for me to be thinking about acting, Sesshomaru…"

"…She would have wanted you to do it, Inuyasha."

At those words, Inuyasha flinched, his hardened face suddenly breaking down just a little, old emotions rising up in his throat. "….How do you know what she would have wanted, shitface?" He croaked, but this time, it was a half-hearted response.

"You owe it to me, to her, to your fans…to yourself…to come back here."

Inuyasha closed his eyes tight. "But, I can't do it. I just…..can't…." he whispered.

Sesshomaru allowed his voice to soften slightly, knowing he was close to overstepping his bounds, but not wanting to seem inhuman. "I know it's difficult. But it's necessary in order to move on."

There was a bated silence on the other end.

"Why don't you just come visit the studio? We don't have to discuss this over the phone."

Inuyasha exhaled loudly, wondering why he was even letting Sesshomaru's tactics get to him. His brother was a salesman at heart, and Inuyasha knew all of his tricks. But, for some unexplainable reason, he decided to give in.

"I'll visit the studio. I don't promise you anything, you hear? Not one episode, not one promo! I'm just visiting."

"Just visiting," Sesshomaru intoned, reaffirming his decision. "The end of next week. We'll be in the middle of filming the third episode. I will see you then."

Inuyasha's face darkened in response, and, angry at himself for giving in, he hung up on his brother without another word.

Sesshomaru was an arrogant son-of-a-bitch.

But he always got his way……

~*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *~

A/N: So, what'd you think?

Is Inuyasha bitter and sad enough for you? (But for what reason….? In due time, my friends, in due time…) I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have wanted to be on the other end of that phone. Sesshomaru is a brave man (And Naraku is such a slimeball!)

And, enough waiting for all you IY/K lovers! If I were you and I was reading this story, I'd be mad at me for not introducing them sooner. But, I'm not you so I'm not mad at me. But you can be mad. Err….make any sense? Good. Well, you can rest assured that our favorite couple gets introduced to each other next chapter. (And, O boy, will the sparks fly for miles)….Tune in soon for "Chapter 4: As the World Turns."

*cough*review*cough*… ^_^

-Thanks for reading-

-ForteXD-