InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 72 Hours ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

72 Hours
By: DarkCrystalis
Disclaimer: I don't have one, you evil owners of Inuyasha people (which don't include me, I might add). However, if I create any original characters, they are all mine to do whatever I want with.

Summary:
Kagome, at the tender age of 4, was adopted by Kaede after her mother's sudden death. With her new mother, Kagome lives a relatively normal life; until a few days after her 20th birthday.

When visiting the doctor due to recent feelings of illness, Kagome expects to be given antibiotics for a cold.

However, that's not the case…

Inuyasha, a Psychologist, ends up being the person Kagome talks to, after she's determined to live through her depressing discovery.

They chat with one another for hours each day, talking about everything and anything except Kagome's true discomfort; the news she got from the doctors.

Throughout their meetings, however, Inuyasha finds himself falling in love…

…as does Kagome.

XxXx

Chapter One

Yawning, Kagome stretched her sore arms above her head. Closing her eyes abruptly from the intense sunlight pouring through her bedroom's windows, she rolled over in bed, wishing to never get out.

After a few minutes of lounging around, she pulled herself out of bed, sitting on the mattress's side. Grabbing a fresh pair of underwear and socks from her bedside drawer, she put them on quickly.

Then, changing out of her t-shirt, she gingerly threw on a bra and a new t-shirt, sliding on a pair of dark blue jeans over her legs afterwards.

Sniffling, Kagome felt her nose tingle, which only meant one thing…

Staring into the window, she waited for her release.

After the quiet sneeze, her body shuddered.

Suddenly realizing how cold she was, Kagome shivered at her lack of warmth. Only a minute or so on her feet, and she already missed her warm covers that only her bed could allow.

Deciding that wearing a sweater would be a good idea, Kagome threw on the hooded sweatshirt closest to her, which was black, and had Tokyo University emblazoned on the front.

Walking out of her bedroom, she shut the door behind her.

“Kaede?” Kagome shouted from upstairs, waiting for the elderly woman's reply.

In all reality, Kaede was her adoptive mother since she was three; however, she saw her as more of a grandmother figure, due to her age and disposition.
“Yes child?” was the typical reply.

Kagome chewed her bottom lip, doing her damned best to remember why she'd called her in the first place.

“Oh yeah,” she mumbled to herself, and then yelling with much more volume, “I'm going to the doctor's today! I've been feeling--” stopping when Kaede appeared in front of her, she blushed.

Speaking in a normal tone of voice, Kagome continued. “Lately, I've been feeling pretty sick. It's so weird, because I hardly ever get ill, you know? So, as a precaution, I'm going to go get this checked out. It won't be a big deal, though; I'll probably need some antibiotics, or something.”

“I'm glad I don't need to prompt ye to get checked. Anyway, I need to do some grocery shopping today, so I'll be quite busy myself! But, just in case you need to pick up some medication…” Slipping her some money, Kagome nodded thankfully. “I don't want you to spend your hard-earned money on medication; ye is still young, child. Enjoy your young life while it lasts, right?”

Hugging her in response, Kagome smiled brightly before running down the stairs, and flying out the door.

“For one her age, she's still got quite the bit of energy, even when she's ill, I see…”

XxXx

Stopping and panting heavily outside her house, Kagome held her right hand to her chest.

Why do I feel so tired all of a sudden?

Grinning wryly, she realized she hadn't run so fast since a couple years back, when she was on the high school track team in grade ten.

I'm seriously out of shape now! No more pushing my body so much

However, she was still suspicious; running down the stairs and a few meters shouldn't make her tired, should it?

But then again, I'm sick. My body is in over-work mode right now, trying to heal me up. I shouldn't be running at all!

Beginning to walk at a slow pace, Kagome took laboured breaths as she walked down the sidewalk. Nodding her head to people she knew as she passed, Kagome admired the bright and sunny day afore her.

“Today is truly a lovely day,” she stated happily, taking in a deep breath of air, only to begin coughing roughly.

“God…damn…fumes…” she was able to mumble while nearly choking on the air.

Once her breathing was restored to a semi-normal basis, she continued the trek to the doctor's office. In theory she could have driven, but lately, she'd been feeling house-ridden.

For the past few days, her normal, energetic self seemed to be severely drained. It was like the life had been drained out of her, leaving nothing but a barren, barely living body, she suddenly realized.

Even walking around the house, and doing anything strenuous tired her out very easily, which was what finally made her go to the doctor.

Making it to the clinic, she stepped in, easily conversing with the secretary.

“I'm sorry Sango,” Kagome said, frowning slightly, “but do you think it's possible that I see Dr. M.Rei today? I know I didn't make an appointment…”

Smiling at the weathered Kagome, Sango May pet her hand gently.

“He's not busy today at all, according to his schedule. It seems that I can fit you in right about now, actually! Is that alright with you?”

“It's more than okay! That's great!”

Going to sit down, she stopped rather quickly when her name was called.

“Kagome Higurashi, what can I do for you?”

XxXx

Once she seated herself on one of the chairs, she watched as he closed the door behind him.

Jotting down something on the clipboard with a black pen, he lazily sat down on his chair beside the desk.

Kagome yawned again behind her hand, leaning forwards slightly to get comfortable. In all reality, she hated doctors in general, but Miroku Rei made visiting the doctor's office as comfortable as it could be.

“So, what's wrong with you today?” He asked some-what jokingly, glancing to her relaxed form.

“It might sound strange because I can't explain this very well, so just make do with what I say.”

He gave her an awkward look, but didn't say anything.

“For the past while, I've been feeling really…tired. Even just walking around the house, or showering exhausts me. For a while, I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough sleep, so I went to bed earlier to get more rest; but that didn't help.”

As she spoke, he wrote down some points which she couldn't see. Either way, she continued.

“However, the thing that bugs me the most is that I've gotten sick with something. I've had the symptoms all week, but I waited for them to go away. I never get sick, which is why I'm worried. Alright, so I've been sick maybe three times, but never longer than a couple days…” Kagome knew she was rambling just a little, so she stopped.

Miroku looked up from his clipboard, sighing at all the possible sicknesses flying through his head.

“Colds tend to tire people out, as does the flu,” he stated in a clear, deep voice. “However, you having just a cold isn't definite; there could be so many other possible complications…”

Rubbing his chin thoughtfully, he began asking her questions.

“Did your mother or father get sick often?”

Kagome's eyebrows shot skywards, not liking the fact that her mother was being brought up in their conversation.

“I—I wouldn't know; she died when I was really young. As for my dad, I wouldn't know. He left my mother when she was pregnant with me, as far as I know.”

Nodding his head thoughtfully, he continued.

“Your mother…do you know how, or why she died?”

Kagome shook her head, not bothering to look at him. “It's like some sort of big mystery—no one is, or was willing to tell me. I wondered for a long time…” Frowning, she hated the sudden wash of tears that clouded her eyes.

“I should look into that—it might explain your strange illness. You were right when you said that your cold should have disappeared. Maybe I'll just run some blood tests, if that's alright with you.”

Nodding, Kagome smiled a tiny smile.

“You can never be too safe in today's society when it comes to your health, you know?”

He smiled slightly, but the smile faded when Kagome's eyes met his. She looked so crestfallen, and unlike her normal self; it was like she had an idea of what was coming…

I'll use up a favour and get the test results back to you tonight, and call you at home.”

Nodding her head mutely, Kagome mumbled a “thank you” before exiting the tiny room.

Suddenly, she felt like an impending doom was being held over her head; a dark, ominous cloud was awaiting her tonight…

…and she'd have to wait until Dr. Rei called back to find out what exactly it was.

XxXx

Forcefully yanking her body upright from her laying down position, Kagome reached over behind her head to pick up the shrill ringing of the telephone.

Hours earlier she'd came home, and collapsed in a tired heap on the couch. Once again she'd been far beyond exhausted, the walk proving to be far more tiring than she'd originally planned. Sleep had claimed her instantly, making her conk out.

“Yes?” She mumbled into the phone, wiping the sleep from her eyes with her free hand.

“Kagome, I got the blood test results back.”

The tone he used as he spoke meant that he had bad news.

Kagome shivered involuntarily despite her body's regular temperature. Something told her that those earlier predicted clouds were about to get a hell of a lot more grey and stormy…

“Well, at least it explains why you've been feeling so tired and sick lately…” Pausing mid sentence, Dr. Rei didn't know how else to tell her. This was news no one ever wanted to hear, and as her doctor and a friend, he really didn't want to do this; but he had to.

“Kagome, you've got AIDS, and starting tomorrow, you're going to die within the next 72 hours.”

He continued speaking about “if it was caught earlier”, and “it's too far along now to do anything about it”, but she didn't hear him; she didn't hear anything at all.

Kagome had AIDS, and she was dying.

Rather suddenly, it felt like the blood in her veins had frozen. She felt cold, empty, and lonely.

Kagome vaguely heard him call her name on the other end of the line, but what he had to say didn't matter anymore.

Hanging up the phone, Kagome lay back down to her previous position and fell asleep, ignoring the phone when it rang again and again ceaselessly.

Perhaps when she woke up this would all just be a dream.

XxXx

Panting and sweating a few hours later, Kagome shot up from the couch glanced at the wall clock across from the couch.

5:03a.m.

Wincing at the sudden pains shooting throughout her body, Kagome put her right hand to her head, massaging her temple in pain.

Closing her eyes, the conversation with Dr. Rei played over in her head from hours before, or more specifically, the one line that had changed her life.

Kagome, you've got AIDS, and starting tomorrow, you're going to die within the next 72 hours.

It wasn't true; it was a mix up of the blood samples, a cruel, practical joke, or something else.

Either way, she was not dying.

Finally having convinced herself of this, Kagome scowled.

Angrily, Kagome swung her legs over the couch's side, despite her body's strong protests. She was determined to get something done, anything, as long as she didn't continue feeling so worthless.

Taking a few baby steps towards the stairs, Kagome panted heavily, feeling a rush of hatred swarm her.

I hate you, body. I hate you, and your weak soul, and your lack of desire to live.

With that thought chanting over and over in her mind, Kagome set to the difficult task of climbing the stairs. Taking one at a time, Kagome slowly made her way up, stopping halfway through to breathe in deeply.

Funny how much I've changed in just half a day; I walked to the doctor's office yesterday and seemed borderline-okay, but now I can't even walk up the damn stairs without wanting to collapse.

Finishing the trek with much difficulty, Kagome finally made it into her room, doing her best to keep quiet. Kaede was sleeping, and the last thing she wanted was to wake her up.

Even changing her clothes was a task now, despite how easy it used to be. In fact, in silence, she questioned herself.

Perhaps I used to take putting on clean clothing for granted now that I struggle with this task.

Closing her eyes once the mission was accomplished, Kagome vaguely realized that she hadn't eaten for a very long time.

Maybe I
'll feel better if I eat something

With that thought in mind, Kagome left her bedroom once again, only to be met with the same stairs as before.

“You stupid things,” she mumbled aloud, uncaring. “It's much easier to climb down you than up.”

Making her way down the flight of stairs faster than before, Kagome silently applauded her self-encouragement.

Now all she had to do was open a can of soup, grab a pot, and turn on the stove. After that, the only thing left to do was pour the soup in the pot, and put the pot on the stove. Voilla! A gourmet meal, prepared by yours truly, Kagome Higurashi.

After doing the aforementioned steps, Kagome sat back down on the couch. Switching on the tv, she scowled when nothing was on.

Don't people watch television at 5:00 a.m. anymore?

Grumbling to herself, Kagome forced her body to go back to the kitchen and check on the soup. Finding it boiling just as it was supposed to, she turned off the stove, and pulled out a spoon from in one of the drawers.

Going back to the couch, she plunked herself down, spilling boiling hot soup down the front of her clean shirt.

“Oh well,” she said out loud, not caring one bit. “It's not like anyone will see me, anyway.”

Settling on the news-weather channel, Kagome smiled slightly when they spoke of a bright and sunny morning with slightly warmer than usual temperatures around this time of the season in the afternoon.

At least that's something to look forward to. Maybe I'll go outside in a little bit

However, before she could enjoy the weather report fully, something else came to mind.

What will I tell Kaede? Should I even bother telling her?

Shaking her head gravely, Kagome immediately knew she wouldn't mention her current status to the older woman.

I love her too much to break her dear heart like thisI'll justkeep it to myself.

Shaking her head suddenly, Kagome growled out loud at the television to no one in particular.

“I'm not dying, damnit! Body, stop thinking you're dying before I kill you myself!”

Satisfied when she didn't feel as tired all of a sudden, Kagome drained the last remnants of soup left in the pot. Patting her belly in approval, she left it on one of the couch's cushions as she walked to the front door.

It was already past 6:00 a.m. according to her wristwatch, which meant there'd be some shops open.

Maybe I'll go and buy something I've always wanted, but couldn't have, or go and see something I've never seen before.

Writing a quick note to her foster mother about her absence, Kagome closed the door as she exited her home.

Walking at a turtle's pace down the sidewalk, Kagome grinned to the people waiting at the bus stop in their suits and formal attire, ready for work. Some of them were nice enough to smile back, while others ignored her completely.

Uncaring to their rude behaviour, Kagome continued the walk, slow and steady, towards a plaza closer to home than the doctor's office was. Inside the plaza were many little stores, mostly ones she'd never visited before. Convenience shops, a book store, coffee shop, and fruit store were stuck together, each of the buildings labeled with a sign of some sort with the shop's title on the front in big print.

However, as she passed each of them, she paused in front of a building she'd never even noticed before. It was plain brown, blending in with it's surroundings fairly easily.

Interested, Kagome strolled over to it, and pushed the glass doors open with difficulty. Looking around, Kagome bit her lip in confusion.

This looks sort of like a doctor's office, but it doesn't smell like one, or

Before her thoughts continued, a woman's voice killed the silence.

“Hello miss, can I help you?”

Turning towards the source of the sound, Kagome nodded her head once.

“Yes, you can; I'd like to know what this place is.”

The woman behind the counter gave her a strange look, but seemingly decided to oblige her anyway.

“This is a Psychologist's office. Mr. Taisho is the man you can come and voice all your problems to, in a confidential manner.”

Kagome's lips formed an “oh” when things clicked. Thinking things over for a minute, Kagome managed a tiny smile.

“Is he available right now? I'd like to speak with him.”

The woman looked doubtfully towards Kagome, an unhappy look settling on her features.

“Do you have an appointment?” she asked dumbly, although it was obvious Kagome didn't.

“I only just discovered what this building is—do you think I have an appointment?”

In reply, the woman shuffled some papers around her desk, and mumbled “Wait a moment,” before disappearing down the hall.

Making herself at home, Kagome seated herself in one of the dark blue chairs, unhappy with how uncomfortable they were. Nonetheless, it was like a doctor's office here…no one could expect to be comfortable in such a setting.

Closing her eyes, Kagome took a deep breath. She felt tired all over again, but was determined this time not to fall asleep.

Down the hall, Kagome heard the previous woman's voice intermingle along with a man's. His voice was deep, strong, and solid; much unlike the voice of the secretary, who sounded more like a church mouse with his nose being plugged.

The man's voice steadily increased in volume as he made his way to the front of the clinic. Apparently, according to his nitwit secretary, a “new girl” had “randomly” walked in and had the “gall” to ask “what” this institution is.

Smiling slightly at the memory, Inuyasha Taisho ignored the woman's idiocy and instead found himself walking towards the possible patient whom was currently staring out the bright window behind her.

Sitting down beside her in one of the chairs in fear of frightening her otherwise, Inuyasha smiled at the woman afore him. Bright blue eyes met with his, an intriguing shade in the least.

However, to his displeasure, there was anger and depression in her expressive coloured eyes, which put him off greatly. Something was troubling this woman, and aside from the fact that he did this for a living, he wanted to find out what was bothering her.

“If you don't mind my asking, is anything wrong?”

Kagome stared into his golden-brown eyes, seeing nothing but friendliness there. Feeling skeptical despite that, she shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, and continued staring out the window once more.

Inuyasha watched her broken movements with interest, now more than ever wanting to know what was wrong with her. She seemed upset, but at the same time, disbelieving of something.

Clearing his throat none-too-discreetly, Inuyasha rose up from the chair and began to walk back to his office.

“If you need to talk to anyone, I'll be in my office. Feel free to—”

“I want to talk to you,” Kagome mumbled in a rush, hoping he'd heard her.

“Of course, just come this way.”

Watching his arm swoop in the direction of the single hallway, Kagome followed doubtfully, wondering what sort of mess she'd gotten herself into.

Things can't get that bad—I mean, he's just like a therapist, right? Besides, I don't have to talk if I don't want to; plus, I can talk about whatever I want.

After reassuring herself, Kagome no longer felt nervous as she entered one of the patient rooms with him.

Seating herself confidently on one of the comfortable chairs as requested, Kagome leaned back against the recliner.

Feeling suddenly powerful, Kagome crossed her arms over her chest, and stared cockily at the Psychologist.

“So, let's begin, shall we?”

XxXx

Despite her seemingly cold and arrogant attitude, Inuyasha had Kagome in tears within minutes of their “session.” She spoke all about her mother's mysterious death, and how she'd never came to know her father.

Inuyasha barely spoke a word as Kagome (he soon discovered that was her name) went on to tell him about her adoptive (but older) mother, and how “truly lovely” she is.

Aside from her painful past about her mother and father, and her adoptive mother's taking of heart medications, some inkling inside Inuyasha told him Kagome was hiding her actual source of discomfort.

Staring at the girl when she'd randomly stopped, his eyebrows drew together when she began to pant in exertion.

“Kagome, are you alright?”

Leaning over in her chair, Kagome cursed her weak body once again, and promising to do so a million times over when she got home.

“I'm f-fine, just a little t-tired, that's all.” Glancing at her wristwatch, Kagome's face contracted in horror when she realized it was already past 9:00 a.m., which meant she'd been there for at least the better part of two and a half hours.

“Oh my gosh, it's past 9 already? I'm so sorry for taking up your time!” Jumping up from her seat, Kagome instantly regretted her choice to do so when she was immediately knocked back down from the force of the pain in her chest.

“Kagome?!”

Holding up her hand to her forehead, she effortlessly wiped away the sheen of sweat that had gathered there in her efforts to leave the room.

“Everything is alright; I just can't be moving so suddenly.” Laughing with slight force, Kagome lifted her face to his.

Concern was clear in his eyes, aside from a sincere worry which didn't seem to fade, despite her attempt at reassurance.

“Really, I'm great!” Smiling brightly, Kagome was once again satisfied when the worried look disappeared from him, being replaced with a real smile. “However, I really should get going. I'm sure you've got other patients to see, and such…” Trailing off, Kagome didn't know what to say next.

After a moment's pause, Inuyasha spoke.

“No, I don't have any patients to see for the next couple days.”

Drawing her brows together in confusion, Inuyasha elaborated.

“I see a couple patients once a week—however; I just saw them a couple days ago, so I won't be seeing them again for a little while more.”

Nodding her head in understanding, Kagome relaxed again in the chair, happy that she didn't have to leave just yet.

I don
't think I could, even if I wanted to. It hurts too damn much, and I'm getting tired all over again

After another moment's thought, Kagome's face contracted into a scowl when Inuyasha answered the telephone and wasn't looking in her direction.

Stupid, stupid, body. I hate you body, I hate you; I really do.

XxXx









< br>