InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Bit of This and That ❯ The Winds of Despair (Have Not Won Yet) ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: The Winds of Despair (Have Not Won Yet)
Rating: PG
Genre: Introspective, perhaps a little Drama/Angst
Pairings: If you look really hard, you'll see a dash of Sango/Miroku
Word Count: 296
Summary: Miroku reflects on both the curse that may take his life as well as what pushes him to continue on. [Miroku-centric].
 
Original Upload: June 28, 2005
 
------------------------------------------------
 
 
From atop this hill, Miroku could see Kaede's entire village. But from this height, the winds were much stronger and they writhed around the trees without care.
 
The houshi stared at the glove that covered his cursed right hand. He curled it into a tight fist, the sealing beads pressing into the still-flesh parts of his palm. If I continue on like this, how much longer do I have until my Kazaana swallows me whole?
 
Closing his eyes, Miroku listened to the disenchanting melody the wind whispered in his ears.
 
It seemed to say, “Only a little longer, Miroku. Only a little longer until I have you...until I draw you into the void within your hand...and you will fade into nothingness...just as you fall now into despair....”
 
Perhaps it was true. Perhaps he was being drawn deeper into the desperate realization that he was a man whose days were numbered.
 
He tried to act carefree to keep his friends from worrying further, but every night that they had yet to defeat Naraku, Miroku could see the phantoms of worry and sympathy cloud their gazes.
 
Miroku was a man who hated to be pitied. Yet, somehow, knowing that each one of his friends had a past as scarred as his gave him solace - that it was empathy in their eyes, and not pity. Perhaps it was this bond of despair that made their group so strong.
 
“Houshi-sama,” he heard Sango call, the wind dying down. “Inuyasha's ready to leave. Let's go before he gets really impatient.”
 
He nodded once, hearing her hesitate before leaving.
 
“...only a little longer until I have you...” the wind murmured as it faded away. “Only a little longer before you die...”
 
Miroku lightly smiled. “Maybe so, but I am not dead yet.”