InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Bond of Thorns ❯ Veiled Suspicions ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A BOND OF THORNS
Veiled Suspicions
oooooooooo
Kagome sat up and looked out the window. She sighed as she noticed that it was the middle of the night, as her head reeled from the vestiges of her dream. It had been an odd dream, to say the least, and she just had to wonder what else her mind was conjuring up when she wasn't quite aware.
She barely even remembered her dream... all she knew, was she had seen her green dress in it - the green dress that she had worn to Inuyasha's awarding on her second day in Soldari.
Unsettled, she stood up and walked to her closet, hoping to find the beautiful gown in it. The dress had hung in her closet since it had been washed after the ceremony, but now that her room was different, she wasn't quite sure if it was still there.
She opened her white closet doors slowly, pushing back the numerous new clothing as she searched for the proper hanger. She very nearly gave a cry of relief as she found it, tucked into the corner. She had been hoping that it had not gotten ruined during the attack, and seeing it in perfect condition made her give a small smile.
She reached up to pull it out of the closet, and the moment her hand made contact with the dress, her dream came back to her like a portion of a memory.
It was of a woman wearing the same green dress, dancing in the arms of a silver-haired man... but it was not her, and the man was not Inuyasha.
The woman was beyond beautiful... her dark, thigh-length hair was straight, pulled back by a very familiar-looking golden comb. Her full ruby lips curved into a soft smile, her vibrant violet eyes sparkling as she looked tenderly at the man who held her.
The man could have been Inuyasha's twin, except the triangular dogs ears on top of his head were missing, replaced instead by a pair of elfish ones in the same place ordinary humans had theirs. Two blue streaks were on each of his cheeks, and his golden eyes, though full of mischief, beheld the woman with the reverence of a man who had been faced with his god.
`Who are these people?' she asked herself as she pulled the dress out of the hanger and stood with it before her new full-length mirror. `The man looks just like Inuyasha... and the woman...' she tried to remember her dream once again, and as she thought of the face of the mystery woman, she gave a small gasp.
Her eyes were the exact shape of Inuyasha's, giving the exact same crinkle when she smiled. The only difference was the color of their eyes. The woman's violet eyes were captivating, but to her, Inuyasha's golden orbs were hauntingly enchanting. But the resemblance between Inuyasha and the dancing pair was uncanny... `Am I... dreaming of Inuyasha's past? What... Why am I seeing these things?'
Disgruntled, and knowing that she could in no way sleep after that dream, Kagome bundled the clothing up in her arms as she reached toward her dresser to retrieve her comb, and headed for the glass doors that led to her room's balcony. She clutched the dress tightly and pulled the comb into her hair, as if willing them to tell her who those people had been, even as suspicion nagged at her - suspicion that she already knew who they were.
oooooooooo
He stood in the balcony overlooking the grounds, glaring the whole time at the tiny sliver of light that literally decided on his youki. The moon. Inuyasha raked his hands through his hair, anger brewing in him as he thought of how it would not be long before his powers waned... and he had still yet to find a foolproof way of keeping Kagome safe.
Her soft scent drifted to him, and he felt some of the frustration slowly ebb away. He did not know how her scent managed to calm him like so, but he did know that a whiff of her scent did strange things to his mind...
Meaning, he still hadn't gotten over that kiss.
He blushed to the roots of his hair, thanking whoever might be listening that it was dark. He slowly turned to look off to his right, where her room's small balcony looked out over the same courtyard. After the attack, he had decided that he didn't want her to be more than a few meters away from him, not even during sleep, and ordered the servants to fix up the room that was right beside his.
Kagome stepped out amidst the waves of silk curtains that hung before her glass doorway, holding a bundle of green cloth in her arms. Her skin glowed an iridescent hue under the pale moonlight, her golden comb glinting tauntingly at Inuyasha as he stared. The thin fabric of her nightgown left none of her graceful curves to the imagination, while making her look like an angel descended from heaven just for him.
She didn't seem to have realized that she wasn't the only one out on the balcony at that time of night, and she gave a small sigh as she inhaled deeply. She reached up with a hand to push her hair back from her face, oblivious to the entranced hanyou watching her a short distance away.
Inuyasha finally found his voice, and he cleared his throat loudly, startling Kagome, before speaking. “Kinda late to be stargazing, isn't it?”
Kagome looked at him strangely, and he cringed as he recognized a bit of wariness in her gaze. “I can't sleep. I had an... interesting dream.”
Inuyasha tilted his head to the side as he regarded her, remembering that she had had a nightmare the night before that he still hadn't asked her about. His brows furrowed in worry, wondering if it was the same dream, and he hesitated before crouching and jumping off his own balcony onto hers. Kagome gave a small shriek as he landed, and he grinned as she slapped his arm in irritation.
“What?” he asked in a voice full of annoyance, even though he was grinning inside.
“You surprised me, baka!” she said with a huff, closing her arms more tightly around the bundle of cloth.
“It's not my fault you're so easy to surprise, wench,” he retorted. His eyes suddenly narrowed in determination as he asked, “So, what was your dream about?”
Kagome gave him a disbelieving stare. “Since when did you have the right to know what I dream about?”
“Since I said so, bitch. Now spill it,” he snapped, eyeing her with suspicion. “And don't say it was nothing, coz if it was, you wouldn't be here, unable to sleep!”
Kagome sighed, relenting, knowing full well that he wouldn't leave her alone until she did. She unfolded her arms to reveal what she had been holding to Inuyasha, and he raised an eyebrow at her.
“That's your dress. What about it?” Inuyasha asked, reaching out to take some of the cloth into his own hand.
“Has it always been my dress, though?” Kagome asked, averting her gaze when Inuyasha suddenly blushed and swallowed.
She continued. “I dreamt about a couple... dancing... and the girl was wearing this dress,” she said, holding the dress up for emphasis. “Along with this comb in my hair. She had dark hair and purple eyes. And the man dancing with her... he looked just like you.”
Inuyasha let go of the dress and turned away from her. It was obvious from his stance that he was intending to jump off her balcony and get back to his own room, but Kagome stopped him by grabbing one of his billowing red sleeves. He tensed. Against his better judgment, he glanced back at her and met her confused, concerned blue/gray eyes, and his resolve to just leave her crumbled.
She looked at him pleadingly, questions in her eyes. “Inuyasha... I dreamt about your parents, didn't I?”
Inuyasha turned to face her once again, his golden eyes full of wonder and other swirling emotions. “This dress,” he reached out and took some of the billowing cloth in his hand again. “This belonged to my mother. It had been in storage ever since... ever since she died. I only had the heart to dig it up again when...” he hesitated. “Just now. Her death had been sudden and I couldn't bear to look at her things without remembering her.”
Slow tears began to fill Kagome's eyes, understanding dawning on her. She had felt the same about her mother and her things upon the woman's death, and she opened her mouth to speak when Inuyasha's other hand reaching for her face stopped her. Their gazes locked, his scorching amber orbs piercing through her torrential blue ones, and her breath suddenly felt short. He cupped her cheek for a short time, making her skin burn, before slowly reaching up to pull her comb from her hair.
He held it before them both as he released the dress, avoiding her gaze as sorrow from barely healed wounds filled his heart. “This belonged to her too. She said that father gave it to her...” he cut himself off before he blurted out WHEN his father had given his mother the comb. He gave a cheerless laugh. “You saw dad in your sleep too? Lucky you... I don't even remember what he looked like.”
Her eyes glittering with unshed tears, Kagome pulled the dress closer to her chest with one arm as her other hand reached out and clasped Inuyasha's hand, the golden hair ornament caught between their entwined fingers. She opened her mouth but no words came out, and before she knew it, she had pulled him to herself, the objects of their discussion trapped between their bodies.
The talk about parents reminded Kagome of her own parents, and of the circumstances surrounding her father's death... of WHO had been responsible. But strangely enough, she didn't seem to care. The only thing on her mind was how lucky she had been to have seen her parents, to have known them, even though the king and queen had never had a very harmonious relationship. That right at that moment, Inuyasha needed a measure of comfort that she felt only she could offer.
Inuyasha awkwardly wrapped one arm around her, as the other was still pressed in between them, holding the comb. Both of Kagome's arms were preoccupied with the items, and all she could do was hold herself close to his body. “Kagome...”
“I knew both of my parents,” Kagome began. “But... okaasan never seemed to love otousan. And otou didn't seem to care for her either. They always fought, they never agreed on anything. I admit I was lucky to have met both of them before fate took them from me, but you are lucky to have had parents who were very much in love.”
“They really did love each other,” Inuyasha agreed.
Kagome looked up at him, the tears still standing in her eyes. “At least you know they're happy together in the afterlife,” she gave a small laugh. “I doubt I can say the same about my parents. Okaasan was probably happy when she died since she didn't have to see otousan anymore. And now he just had to follow her!”
Inuyasha grinned, his heart skipping a beat. `Is she... getting over her father's death? Has she forgiven me?'
Kagome pulled back from him, smiling up at him, and Inuyasha found himself already missing her warmth. “I miss `em,” Inuyasha admitted softly.
“I miss my parents too...” Kagome replied. “But since they're gone, all we could do is keep loving them and honor their memory.”
Inuyasha nodded. “I guess,” he mumbled, before leaving her side to crouch on the side of the balcony, preparing to go back to his own room.
He peered over his shoulder to find Kagome pinning her hair back with the comb, looking at him through her thick lashes, and he very nearly had to physically restrain himself from going to her and crushing her in his arms again.
“Go to sleep, Kagome. We have a lot of things to do tomorrow. We're gonna go see the old hag,” he paused, tapping a clawed finger on his chin. “I'm guessing you'll be finding out about the key,” he added before leaping off, and he disappeared into his room before Kagome could even blink.
Kagome gaped after him. “The key... INUYASHA!!! Come back here!”
oooooooooo
It wasn't until morning that Inuyasha realized that he had completely forgotten to ask Kagome about her nightmare from that night she had slept in his room. But then again, he hadn't been thinking straight... Who could do that with a beautiful girl in his arms?
He was determined to find out now, before they went off to the hag with Rin.
“Kagome!” he shouted as he banged notoriously on her door. “Open up, bitch! We have to leave in an hour!”
“Shut up already! I'm coming!” Kagome yelled from the other side of the door. A few minutes of shuffling later, Kagome walked out, raising an eyebrow in surprise upon finding him still standing there.
“Come on,” Inuyasha said, grabbing her hand and dragging her off even as Kagome sputtered in indignation. “We'll eat breakfast, then go see the hag.”
“Do you really have to call Kaede-baachan a hag? I really like her,” Kagome complained as he pushed her onto her designated seat in the dining hall.
“Keh, she doesn't mind. And you have to eat... you're skinny enough as it is,” he replied as he sat down, lifting his head when Sesshoumaru entered the hall with Rin. “Hey bro.”
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at Inuyasha's greeting. “Hey yourself, Galaxian.”
“Galaxian?!” both Rin and Kagome exclaimed.
“Umm...” he fumbled. `Fuck... what do I tell Kagome if she asks...'
“You've been taken into Galaxia? Why?” Kagome asked, staring openly at him with questioning eyes. “When? Why didn't you tell me?”
“...”
“Yes, Yasha, do tell!” Rin chimed in excitedly as she took her seat. “So many things have changed in four months...”
“He just got accepted yesterday. That was why he was called before the representatives,” Sesshoumaru added. “I sincerely doubt you would want to know the reason why he was accepted, Calderian.”
Kagome's brows furrowed in confusion as she turned to look questioningly at Inuyasha. His head was down, and he seemed to be looking everywhere but at her.
Comprehension dawned on her as she recalled Sesshoumaru's words. `I would want to know... unless... they awarded him for... for killing MY father?!'
“I see,” Kagome said, before she stood up, not bothering with the food that was just then being served. “Excuse me... I'm not hungry. I shall be in the front garden if anyone needs me.”
Inuyasha stared at the table as he heard Kagome's retreating footsteps, as her scent drifted farther and farther away. He raised his head and eyed Sesshoumaru. “I didn't want to tell her Sess. Why'd you have to do that?”
The youkai just raised an eyebrow. “You do not intend to tell her? You do realize that it would have been impossible to keep that a secret?”
“I meant to tell her LATER, but you just had to blab. I also didn't want to tell her that in THAT manner!” Inuyasha yelled, startling Rin. With a wicked, vengeful glint in his eye, Inuyasha glanced at Rin, before turning back to Sess. “You cross-dresser...”
Sesshoumaru's stoic face suddenly went up in flames, eyes widening uncharacteristically as his jaw dropped. Inuyasha turned and stomped out just as he heard Rin speak.
“Sessho-sama... what was Inuyasha talking about?”
oooooooooo
Kagome sat cross-legged alone in the middle of the garden - not exactly alone, as guards stood around her only a few meters away, by order of Inuyasha - as she tried in vain to sort out her feelings.
The cheerful atmosphere of the beautiful garden was lost on her. The butterflies fluttered merrily with the breeze as the delicate petals of the gentle blooms swayed with the wind, but Kagome never took note of the beauty around her.
She was confused... why was Galaxia doing this? Why was Galaxia siding with someone who had murdered a king in cold blood? It almost seemed as if they all wanted her father dead...
She shook her head in denial as angry tears pooled around the edges of her eyes. “Otousan...” she whispered as she turned her gaze to the sky. `Why do they all hate you? Did you really do something wrong?'
“Was Inuyasha telling the truth about him?” she whispered again.
“He never lies, Kagome-chan,” a feminine voice answered her question from behind and Kagome turned to face the one who spoke. “He is brash, he is loud... he is a duke and he is a soldier... he is a lot of things, but he is definitely not a liar.”
Kagome turned as a smile formed on her lips... “Sango!”
Sango smiled as she approached slowly, then sat with her feet beneath her right beside Kagome. “The garden is beautiful, is it not?”
“Hai,” Kagome agreed. A thoughtful look crossed her features and she turned to look at Sango. “Sango... you said you had been working here for barely two years? What did you do before?” Kagome asked as curiosity suddenly bloomed in her.
It took a minute for Sango to answer. “I... was a youkai exterminator. But before that, I was part of a group of vigilantes that worked against the king.”
Kagome gasped. “You were with rebels?”
“My entire family was. But all that changed when my mother died,” Sango continued, dragging her gaze to the ground to stare at the crushed grass around her feet. “After my mother died, we joined the king's army to avenge her.”
“How did she die?”
Sango stiffened.
“Sango? I'm sorry for prying... I won't do it again... I don't know what came over me...”
“It's alright, you had to know sometime,” Sango suddenly interrupted. “As for how she died... I don't know if you'll believe me but...”
“KAGOME!!!”
Both Sango and Kagome turned their heads to stare at the rather irate hanyou headed for them.
“What were you thinking, running off like that, bitch!? You could have gotten in trouble again!” Inuyasha bellowed.
Kagome cringed at the volume of his voice. “Gee, Inuyasha... I wonder just how much trouble I could get into with TWO DOZEN GUARDS all over me?”
Inuyasha looked over his shoulder to assess the said guards. “Actually, there's twenty-five of them...”
“Who CARES!?” Kagome screamed. “I can't even take a leak without guards hunkered all around me! What's up with that?”
“Just making sure you're kept safe!” Inuyasha hollered, and this time, even Sango winced at the sound. “Now will you shut up and come with me? I have to talk to you.”
Kagome's eyes visibly darkened. “If it's about Galaxia...”
“It is, but I want you to hear about it from me.”
“Oh!” the seemingly forgotten lady-in-waiting suddenly exclaimed, making both heads turn towards her. “Of course! Houshi-sama and I have just been informed this morning. Congratulations, Inuyasha! You're a Galaxian now!”
Inuyasha flushed. “Yeah, yeah. Now go and kill that lecher or something, Kagome and I have to talk in private.”
Sango rolled her eyes even as she gave him a small, nearly mocking curtsy. “Hai, Lieutenant Colonel Inuyasha-sama, sir!” she said with a smirk. “I shall now go and kill off your best friend.”
“You will... he's in the horse stables, probably flirting with Koharu.”
“WHAT?!” Sango yelled as her cheerful gait disappeared, before she caught herself and blushed. “I mean... she's five whole years younger than him, that lech!” she added in a hurry as she stomped off fuming.
Kagome threw Inuyasha a dry look as Sango walked out of their line of sight. “If Miroku is found dead by tomorrow, I'll blame you.”
“Keh,” he snorted. “Now will you talk to me?”
Kagome sighed and nodded, knowing she didn't really have much choice in the matter. “Ok. Fire away.”
Inuyasha suddenly grabbed her hand and began to pull her out of the manor. She blinked in confusion, and she looked back to find that the guards that followed her to the garden made no move to follow. Inuyasha was practically dragging her behind him, and she had no choice but to follow as he led her down the now familiar path towards Kaede's home.
Kagome sighed as the familiar shrine steps came into view. “What did you want to talk to me about?” she prodded as Inuyasha made no move to speak.
“I didn't know they would give me that award,” he suddenly blurted out. “I didn't even know that what I did had been such a big deal.”
Kagome stiffened, and she suddenly stopped walking. “You killed my father Inuyasha,” she said bitterly. “You killed the ruler of a planet. It WAS a big deal.”
“That's not what I meant!” Inuyasha said in exasperation as he spun to face her. “I know I killed him... I know he was a king... but when I killed him, I thought I was just doing my job. I never imagined that it would get me into Galaxia. The most I had expected was a damn promotion!”
“And so, since you didn't think that killing my father was a big thing, you decided not to tell me about being accepted into Galaxia?” she yelled, shooting him a fierce glare.
“No, dammit!” Inuyasha yelled back. “I didn't wanna fucking hurt you!”
“What the heck are you...”
“What could I have said, huh? `Yo, Kagome, I just got into Galaxia as a reward for killing off your dad'? Shit, bitch! Give me ANY way to tell you that without seeming to rub it in your face,” he shouted.
Kagome drew back as if she had been slapped. “I... you could have tried to tell me. Did you think it would have been better for me to find out from somebody else?”
“I was gonna tell you... but not yet,” Inuyasha said resignedly. “Look... I told Kaede yesterday that we were gonna go see her. This is a very important matter Kagome... could we put this fight off for a few hours?”
Kagome blinked. His words from the night before returned to her, and she brightened. “Is this about the `key' thing I keep hearing about?”
“Yeah, that. And that key... isn't exactly a thing,” Inuyasha mumbled as he once again began dragging Kagome towards the temple.
“What do you mean?”
“I'll tell you when we get to Kaede, now shut the fuck up and walk!!!”
oooooooooo
Sango was surprised to find Koharu sitting alone in the stables. She was sitting atop a large block of hay, trying to take twigs out her hair.
The girl's clothing was rumpled, and she was sweating lightly. Sango walked up to her as unbidden suspicion grew within her at the young lady's unkempt look.
“Sango-sama!” Kouharu exclaimed as she came closer. “How long have you been here?”
Sango's brows drew together at the unexpected question. “Just now. I was passing by when I found you here. Are you alright?” she asked, lending the girl a hand to help her stand up. Sango noticed that the hay stack Koharu had been sitting on was not the same perfect rectangular shape as the other stacks, as if it had born the brunt of something heavy falling on it. She also noted the way some other wayward stacks of hay littered the floor, as if they had somehow fallen off the top part of the stable, where all the stable food was kept.
“Um... yes...” Koharu stuttered, a small blush coating her cheeks. “I was just feeding the horses.”
“Oh,” Sango replied as she looked around the stables. “Have you seen Houshi-sama?”
Koharu's blush deepened, as she vehemently shook her head. “No... I am sorry, I have not seen him all day.”
The suspicion in Sango's mind grew as she turned away from the disheveled girl. `There is something strange going on here...'
oooooooooo
Koharu waited impatiently for Sango to get out of view and earshot, before she softly called out, “You can come out now, Miroku-sama.”
Miroku, shirtless and sweaty, came out from inside one of the abandoned horse stalls with a sigh of relief. “Gods... I thought she had seen us!”
Koharu blushed. “That would have been most unpleasant, don't you think?”
Miroku nodded. “Yeah... Koharu, thanks again for...”
“It was nothing,” Koharu quickly interrupted him. “I wanted to.”
“Thanks, still,” Miroku insisted. “But I would appreciate it a lot more if you kept it secret. I'm not ready to let anyone know quite yet.”
“The secret is safe with me, Miroku-sama.”
“Good. Thank you. I have to go now,” Miroku said, giving her a melting smile as he put on his blue military shirt before leaving the stall.
Koharu waited until she was alone in the stables...
Then she dropped down on the ground and began to cry.
oooooooooo
Kagome was confused.
She and Inuyasha had just emerged at the top of the shrine steps, when a good-looking youkai with blue eyes, a long tail and black hair pulled back into a high ponytail came out of Kaede's home. The guy spotted Inuyasha just as Inuyasha spotted him, and both had begun talking in nearly friendly tones... nearly friendly, if not for the various insults directed at each other that effortlessly spewed out of their mouths.
“I thought you had died during the last mission, wimpy wolf.”
“You idiotic dog-turd. Did you really think that those simpletons would have been enough to get rid of me?”
“Keh. King Onigumo would have been enough to get rid of your lousy ass.”
“I was surprised YOU pulled through. Tell me, what kind of accident helped you kill the bastard boss?”
“Umm...” Kagome interrupted the flow of insults.
“Oh... Kagome,” Inuyasha began, pointing a thumb at the other youkai. “This is Kouga. Kouga, this is Kagome.”
“I know her,” Kouga replied. “I saw her at your awarding.”
“You were there? How come I didn't catch wind of your disgusting scent?”
“Coz your nose is conked out?” the ookami replied, laughing when Inuyasha growled. “So, what are both of you doing here?” asked, before he turned to Kagome. “And what is a lovely lady like you doing with a loser like him?”
“Hands off, wolf,” Inuyasha snarled. “Besides, don't you have a mate?”
“Ayame's at home. Insecure much?”
“Shut up.”
“That reminds me... I have to go pick some things up for her and the new pup.”
“I'm still surprised you managed to make a pup. Ayame must have led you through.”
Kouga snorted. “As if you know all the mechanics. I'd be shocked if you could even get it up.”
Inuyasha growled, a blush staining his cheeks, while Kouga just laughed. “Gotta go, dog-turd.”
“See ya' wimp,” Inuyasha called as Kouga seemingly disappeared in a whirlwind of blue.
“Who, exactly, was that?” Kagome asked as they continued walking towards Kaede's.
“Keh. He's a friend from the military academy.”
“A friend? You insult each other like that and you call him a friend? I wonder how you speak to your enemies?” Kagome snorted.
“The insults go from way back. We never really outgrew it.”
They stopped talking as they entered Kaede's house through the shoji that served as her door. Kaede was standing by a few cabinets, rearranging her vials. “Oi, baabaa! We're here!”
“Did you really have to be so rude about it?” Kagome commented as Inuyasha lead her to sit on the floor. Kaede just laughed as she sat down before the two.
“So, you're getting your way, old woman. Happy now?” Inuyasha growled, but Kaede just laughed him off.
“Quite,” Kaede replied merrily. “Now I believe we have a lot to talk about. Shall we begin?” When both nodded, she smiled slowly. “Inuyasha, please leave the room.”
“WHAT?!”
“You already know all the things that I will be telling Kagome. You don't have to be here.”
“What are you talking about?!” Inuyasha snarled. “Where Kagome goes, I go. Or have you forgotten that being the senile old goat you are?”
“Inuyasha!” Kagome called, appalled.
“You must. Some of the things we are to talk about will not be fit for you to hear, as some things you already know, she should not know about,” Kaede said.
After huffing once, more, Inuyasha left the house with a loud curse.
“Ah, finally,” Kaede said. “I had been trying to get that boy to bring you here for a long time, but he simply would not budge! He insists that bringing you here will cause even more problems.”
“But I don't even know why I'm here, right now,” Kagome replied.
“Exactly. Now, we have much to talk about, so best we get started,” Kaede began. “Is there anything in particular that you would want to know about?”
“Well, there is generally one thing that intrigues me...” Kagome admitted. “When Tarumo kidnapped me... he kept going on about a key. He had been ordered to kidnap me by Naraku, the same man who caused the stir in Inuyasha's awarding. Inuyasha told me something about a jewel, but he never really made sense. Kaede, why are they all after me?”
Kaede shook her head, muttering something about Inuyasha being a baka, before she spoke. “They are after you, my dear, because they want the Shikon no Tama.”
“That's it! The Shikon no Tama... Inuyasha began to tell me about that once. What does it have to do with me? Why do they keep calling me a key?” Kagome asked anxiously.
“Because, my child,” Kaede began. “You are half of the key needed to once again summon the Shikon no Tama.”
“Huh?”
“The Shikon no Tama is an ancient jewel bearing amazing powers. A powerful miko sealed it thousands of years ago, spiritually cutting it into halves and sending it off to be unlocked again once the two halves of the key unite,” Kaede said.
“I don't understand...” Kagome cried. “I don't have that half! I didn't even know what it was until today!”
“You do not have it physically,” Kaede explained. “But you can, with the other half, somehow summon it, and bring form to the Shikon no Tama. That is why I had been insisting that Inuyasha bring you to me, so I can train your miko powers.”
“Are you sure? I've never had any powers, Kaede-baachan. And wouldn't training me help me bring out that Tama thing?”
“No, if anything, training you will help you suppress your powers so you would not lose control and call upon it, which is likely since the other half is almost always right beside you.”
Something Tarumo had said when the barrier appeared clicked in Kagome's mind. “Inuyasha... he is the other half of the key, isn't he?”
“That's right, and I wish to teach you Kagome. The Shikon no Tama is this planet's most powerful god element. It would not do for it to fall into the wrong hands by accident.”
Kagome thought that over. “This planet's element... then how did I become half of this key, when I'm not even FROM this planet?”
Kaede looked thoughtful. “I do not know, child. But Naraku does not care, and he will try to get the jewel for himself. No matter what.”
Kagome decided. “Then teach me what I need to learn, Kaede-baachan. And tell me all you can about the Shikon no Tama, Inuyasha, and Naraku.”
oooooooooo
Inuyasha sat out on his balcony once again, his mind set on the woman sleeping in the room right beside his own. After they had come home from Kaede's as the sun began its descent, she had been exhausted from the basic meditation exercises that Kaede had taught her, so they went straight back to the manor.
Now, it was the middle of the night, and at about the same time yesterday, he and Kagome had been speaking about his parents on her own balcony.
He desperately wished for her to come out so he could speak to her again, but he had been willing her to do so for the past half hour, and so far, nothing was happening.
The previous night they had been talking about his parents. Now he wanted to talk about hers.
A strange dream had woken him in the middle of the night, a dream about a couple, both of whom looking vastly familiar...
They had been making love, and the woman had begun crying once they finished. She had clung to the man, whispering softly, sadly, and Inuyasha, try as he might, could not hear what they had been saying.
The man had leaned in, whispered something, to which the woman had vehemently shaken her head against, as if she absolutely disagreed with it, and she kept crying as the man desperately tried to make her tears stop.
The woman looked almost exactly like Kagome, had her eyes and hair not been deep brown. It was easy to conclude that the woman was none other than Kagome's deceased mother. The resemblance Kagome shared with this woman was uncanny, and had Inuyasha not known better, would have thought it was just Kagome wearing a brown wig. It had almost seemed like looking at a Kagome puzzle, but missing the parts that were her hair and eyes.
The man, however, though not sharing any outward resemblances with Kagome, was the missing part of the puzzle. His deep, blue-gray eyes had carried the exact same sparkle as Kagome, and his jet-black hair, though short, was as lustrous as the girl's. Kagome had definitely gotten those features from him.
The most puzzling thing about Inuyasha's dream though, was the fact that the man...
... was not, Lord Higurashi.
oooooooooo
A/N: Another insane chapter, from yours truly. Haha... I am finally opening up the real plot.
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Please read and review.
ScarletRaven1001