InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Bond of Thorns ❯ Insurrecting Darkness ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Ehehehe... It's been a while, ne?
But I have an excuse, I swear! Basically... I was busy with schoolwork. Then, I just had to go and graduate, then get a job. And now I barely remember to brush my own teeth. Much less upload a chapter. Hehe.
Anyway, to answer all those who ask, yes, I will definitely finish all fics even if it kills me, even though Feverish is on hiatus. I just lost my brains for that story.
Here's the next chapter, people. Please review, enjoy!
oooooooooo
A BOND OF THORNS
Insurrecting Darkness
oooooooooo
“She needs to quit the training, Miroku. She's always so tired... I can't stand seeing her like this,” Inuyasha complained to his bestfriend while they sat in the main room of the Inuyoukai manor early one morning.
“I really don't know what to say, Inuyasha. Kagome needs that training. You know it, I know it. Everyone concerned does,” the monk replied. “Besides, it's only been a month. Of course she has to adjust. Her powers had been latent all her life and now Kaede's grilling her on a daily basis.”
“That's just the thing,” the hanyou snapped back. “Kaede's killing her. Have you seen those burns on her hands? The only good thing is that the training helped heal that burn on her leg.”
Miroku was confused. “What burn? I thought the burn was on her hand?”
“That's different, moron. I'm talking about the one on her leg, you dolt! The one she got that fucking day we stormed Calderia. It's just a light scar now. Anyway, all that training and shit, and we still don't know much about those `powers'.”
“I am sure you will know something about them sooner or later. And those dreams of yours, do you know what has caused them, yet?”
“No. And I've had virtually no time to talk to her lately. She leaves home with the guards before I wake up, and by the time I get home, she is already asleep. The only times we get to talk are when we wake up in the middle of the night and end up talking on her balcony.”
“Palace duties taking a toll on you, my friend?” Miroku asked sympathetically.
“Hell yeah. Ever since I got into Galaxia,” Inuyasha grumbled. “Funny thing is, I never even knew that one person could have so much work. Onigumo isn't helping much... moping around because of Kikyo, not doing his damn job, so sometimes I have to do it and...”
“Speaking of the devil, how is Kikyo-sama? Has she gotten any better?”
“No. Seems worse, actually. She's been eating a bit, but she never utters a word anymore,” Inuyasha replied, thinking back on how the princess had looked when he last saw her. “She was pale, I mean really pale. She's also gotten so thin that I worry about her sometimes. And it's worrisome because it's already been a month.”
“Don't worry, I'm sure she'll be fine eventually.”
“Yeah, but still. Anyway...” Inuyasha got up, stretching before picking up a bagful of work from where it had been beside him. “I gotta go to the palace now. Coming, lech?”
“Sure.”
oooooooooo
“Keep your mind on your work, child... make the reiryoku flow through your hands... not so much!” Kaede instructed as Kagome, sweaty and dizzy from exertion, tried to do the old channeling spell Kaede had taught her.
Kagome was becoming very good at it. Indeed, Kaede had a small inkling that the girl was born to be a miko, what with the ease she had with adapting to the training and learning all the tricks. She had already halfway mastered most of the basics.
But she seemed distrated today.
“Kagome, enough,' Kaede suddenly said, and the girl's concentration broke just as suddenly. Quite unusual. “Is something wrong, child?”
“No, I'm sorry, Kaede-baachan. I just seem to be having some difficulties today,” she said, even though her eyes did not even focus on the old woman.
“Why don't you just tell me what has you so distracted, then?” Kaede insisted, watching Kagome lower her eyes to the burns on her hands. “Do your wounds pain you, child?”
“Iie. They don't. I'm just...” Kagome hesitated, “Inuyasha...”
“Ah, your lord. Has he been bothering you about the training again?”
Kagome laughed softly. “I do not think he would ever stop bothering me about the training. But that's not it. What I'm concerned about is the dreams. I have told you about our dreams, ne, baachan?”
“Hai, and I personally find it strange. Have you asked Sango about it?”
“Sango?” Kagome asked, confused.
“Aye, the child was a youkai exterminator, with a very broad knowledge about youkai,” Kaede explained. “Since we are dealing with Inuyasha, who is part of the most powerful youkai families in Soldari, you may want to ask her some things.”
Kagome thought for a while. “I think I will... arigatou, Kaeda-sama.”
“Oh, and since you seem so distracted, why don't we skip today's training and work for a couple hours longer tomorrow instead?” Kaede suggested.
Kagome positively beamed. “Arigatou, Kaede-baachan!”
Kaede became serious though. “But I must warn you, child. Your powers are open and slightly vulnerable. Though you are trained, it will not do for you to be caught unaware.”
oooooooooo
The chamber had not seen a shard of light over the past month, and its sole, angry dweller, thrived in the gloom. Laying in bed, staring up at the ceiling, she impatiently waited for the first command from him... from he who would give her the one thing that she truly wanted.
As the faint ball of dark red light slowly materialized in the middle of the room, she bolted up, racing to grasp her hope in her hands.
“Yes!” A hoarse cry was wrenched from her parched lips as the orb slowly became more solid, and now resting on the palms of her pale hands. “It's about time, anyway...”
She walked back to her bed, holding it reverently, her thoughts racing wildly. With it, she can finally have the only thing that she ever really coveted, and no one can stop her now.
oooooooooo
Sango knew Kagome was coming before she even called out to the taijiya. It just tends to happen when the other person is always followed by an entourage of almost two dozen feet.
“Kagome-chan, how have you been? I haven't seen you in a couple of days,” she greeted, giving the princess a friendly hug.
“Alright, I guess. But these guys,” she motioned to the guards, “are driving me insane! And don't laugh... you try walking around with ten men all day.”
Sango snickered. “It's for you own good, Kagome-chan.”
“I dunno. I kinda liked it better when it was just Inuyasha dragging me around the place,” Kagome replied distantly, and Sango had to wonder if the girl was aware of how her voice had suddenly turned wistful, and how her right hand had gone up to stroke the golden comb in her hair.
“Come now, Kagome!” Sango said. “Has it been that bad?”
“YES!” Kagome shrilled. “I barely see him anymore. And the last time I spoke to him, we argued over a damn burn in my hand.”
“It was pretty serious, Kagome. And even I can see that it hasn't quite healed yet,” Sango said in defense of the overprotective male. “So, why the visit?”
“What, I can't visit my old lady in waiting anymore?” Kagome said teasingly. For some reason, about a month ago, Sango had been given a new assignment - a secret something that she worked on with Miroku - and Kagome had been given a new lady in waiting. Koharu was excessively nice, but she liked Sango better.
Sango was giving her that look again.
“Ok, ok,” the girl amended. “So I wanted to ask you something. Private,” she whispered, looking over her shoulder at her guards. “But how?”
“Leave that to me,” Sango replied, then turned to the guards. “Guys, you're all dismissed for the day. Go back to the Inuyoukai manor, I will take care of Kagome today, and I will bring her back to the manor before sunset today. Understood?”
Much to Kagome's surprise, all guards executed swift salutes in the taijiya's direction, along with a crisp “Hai, Sango-sama” from each. All then turned and marched back to the manor.
She turned to her friend. “You could do that, and never told me! What have you been ding these past few weeks?”
“Let's just say I've been promoted for a reason I myself have yet to understand,” Sango replied, leading her friend into her house. “So, what's up?”
Kagome looked uneasy as she sat on one of Sango's couches. “Inuyasha's been paranoid lately. He says it's been to quiet for too long. And he's convinced that our powers have triggered something odd between us...”
“Like?”
“I dunno. Well, for one... I dunno if I've told you this before, but during dire times we could feel each other's emotions,” Kagome stuttered. “Like that time at Tarumo's... when I got scared, he said he felt what I was feeling, so he knew I was in trouble. And right after I burned my hand two days ago...” she paused, unsure. “He said he felt the pain, and somehow knew it was me. So he rushed over from the palace to check on me. And that was the fight you saw,” Kagome giggled at the memory.
Sango looked thoughtful. “Kagome, that could be an effect of the fact that you two are the two halves of the key. It's entirely possible that your common powers are linking you enough that you could actually sense the other's aura.”
“Yes, Kaede said the same, but that doesn't explain why we have been having dreams of each others' pasts and...”
Sango had gone very rigid. “What did you say?”
“Huh?”
“You have been dreaming of each other's pasts? Kagome, why didn't you tell me!” Sango asked, bolting up and pacing the room in agitation.
“Huh? Well, it didn't seem like a big deal. We were just dreaming about little things, anyway, like my seventh birthday, his first fist fight, things like that.”
“It was important Kagome. I can't believe you two have already taken such a big step!”
“What do you mean? So it really isn't an effect of the Shikon no Tama?”
“No, it's not Kagome. So, why? Why didn't you tell me that you and Inuyasha had initiated a youkai mating?”
“WHAT!” Kagome yelled, standing and grabbing the pacing taijiya's arm. “We didn't do that, Sango. What are you talking about? I think I would have known if we had done something like that...”
“You mean, you haven't?” Sango asked in confusion, shaking her arm out of the miko's grasp. “Then why have you been dreaming about those things? That's usually the first effect of youkai coupling. Particularly if the youkai involved come from a naturally possessive breed.”
“I don't know! Kaede told me it wasn't supposed to be part of being the key...”
Sango was thoughtful. “Have you kissed him?”
`I wish,' Kagome thought, paling as the thought made itself clear in her mind. “No. Seriously, no, I haven't! Why?”
“Odd, indeed. Because if you had kissed him, or he had kissed you, and one of you had tasted the other's blood in some way, that would have been an act of initiation...”
The rest of Sango's words faded away after Kagome heard her say the words `tasted' and `blood'. Because the fact was he did taste hers... when he healed her wound after the Tarumo incident...
“... and funny because he may not even really know...”
Kagome never heard Sango's lectures. Her thoughts were in a whirl, and she could barely graspo one long enough to truly dwell on it.
`He's a youkai... he had to have known. Does that mean that he had initiated it, without my consent? That he knew what was happening, and he didn't tell me?'
“... especially if either one of you had gotten even slightly aroused...”
Oddly enough, Kagome wasn't as mad as she thought she should be. To her, it seemed inevitable, almost seemed alright, that Inuyasha had done such a thing - what with her being his concubine and all - and she was just slightly surprised.
“When did this start, anyway, Kagome-chan?” Sango was still talking.
Kagome snapped out of it with a bewildered blink. “Umm... soon after Tarumo kidnapped me. The night before I began my training with Kaed-baachan,” she replied numbly.
“Well something must have happened. Maybe he accidentally licked your wound or something!” Sango laughed, clapping Kagome's back, hard.
The miko barely noticed.
oooooooooo
“Kyaaaaaaaaaaah!” the scream, coming from the Soldarian princess's bedroom, startled everyone out of their work. Inuyasha, whose office was just one floor below her chambers, raced out and was the first one to get to her.
Kikyo was thrashing wildly in her bed, staring in fright at something on the ceiling. Inuyasha glanced up to see what she was screaming about, ready for action, but found nothing but the plain white boards.
He looked back at her as he heard the other people begin to file in hurry in the hallway outside, and got the shock of his life.
She was frightened. Truly, inexplicably frightened, and her normally cold eyes showed nothing but her utmost fear.
“Kikyo!” Inuyasha yelled, running to her as the others began to fill the room behind him. He reached her bed then grabbed her arms, shaking her out of whatever was happening to her. “Kikyo! Snap out of it! Kikyo!”
And just as suddenly as the screaming began, it stopped, and Kikyo was left staring at the ceiling in absolute silence. Her eyes began to clear, then she turned her head, and her gray eyes met Inuyasha's golden gaze.
Her lips trembled as her hands reached out, touching his cheeks, as if trying to see if he was truly there. “Inuyasha?” she whispered, and as her hands convinced her that he was Inuyasha, a more desperate cry was ripped from her parched throat. “Inuyasha!”
The hanyou was confused. He had never seen her look so... innocent and afraid. And the same, hollow eyes that kept him at bay all those years, were now gazing at him with naked fright and confusion.
He was even more shocked when Kikyo suddenly hauled herself up, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck and sobbing like there was no tomorrow. She was repeatedly crying out his name, and he was at a total loss at what to do.
“Kikyo-chan?” the King's voice sounded, and Kikyo immediately broke away from him as her father's voice came into view beside Inuyasha. She launched herself at her father, fat tears rolling down her cheeks as she chanted “otousan”, over and over again.
Inuyasha had never felt so helpless.
oooooooooo
“The moon is waning really fast, ne Sango-chan?” Kagome asked innocently. “It will be a new moon soon. My second new moon here...”
Sango, whose mind had been wandering aimlessly earlier, snapped into attention at the mention of the waning moon. She looked up, barely concealed alarm on her face. “Oh my, you're right!” she replied, then in a softer voice not meant for Kagome's ears, “I wonder if Inuyasha knows.”
Kagome lifted an eyebrow in confusion, but chose not to dwell on Sango's odd behavior for a while. She sighed dramatically as the manor came into view, along with the ten odd men Inuyasha hired as her guard detail.
“Well, here we are, Kagome,” Sango said as she opened the gates. “It's getting late anyway, you'd better go to bed. From what you told me, Kaede would be grilling you again by tomorrow.”
“Yeah, I bet. Besides, Inuyasha's gonna have a cow again if he sees me awake at this time. And I don't want him mad at me if I wanna talk to him about these dreams.”
“What do you mean?” Sango asked.
“Well, maybe it's a youkai thing, but I remember from last month, right before the new moon, Inuyasha was in a rotten mood. Then I didn't get to see him at all the night of the shingetsu. I'd better go and avoid it starting now, ne?” Kagome joked cheerfully, oblivious to the shocked look on Sango's face.
“Hai, you'd better. Now go, your guards are waiting,” Sango replied, winking.
Kagome huffed crossly.
oooooooooo
“Hey Kagome, where've you been?”
The question surprised the miko, making her close the door a little too hard. She turned around, eyes frantically searching for the source of the voice, only to find Rin staring at her from one of the chairs in the common hall.
“Rin-chan. I didn't see you there,” she remarked. “Do you know when Inuyasha will be back? I have to talk to him about something.”
“Oh, I don't know, gomen,” Rin replied. “Actually, I was hoping you would know where he and Sess-sama are. I heard that the princess just broke out of her shell this afternoon.”
“Really?” Kagome asked, surprised, and even pleased at the news. True, she and Kikyo weren't exactly on good terms, but she couldn't help but feel sorry for her at what happened during the awarding ball.
“Hai. You think they'll be home really late?”
Kagome shrugged. “I dunno. Maybe we should just go to bed. Then we can both get up early tomorrow and corner them before they leave for work. I'm sure Kaede won't mind if I'm a bit late.”
Rin brightened at the mention of the old woman's name. “How is Kaede obaa-sama?”
“Oh, she's doing well,” Kagome replied. “She misses you, but I think she disagrees with Sess-san that you could stop your training already. She doesn't want you to be unprepared for any possible danger.”
Rin sighed. “I tried reasoning with him, but he is just too stubborn! I swear, he'd mark if I'm not looking just so he could make me do exactly everything that he says!”
That did not help put Kagome's mind at ease.
oooooooooo
“I'm bushed,” Inuyasha replied, pushing limp bangs out of his eyes. “I can't believe that her waking would cause so much racket.”
“She is the princess, you idiot. Of course it would cause much discord!” Sesshoumaru replied.
“Yeah, but still! It was too much.”
“You wouldn't be saying that if it had been your woman regaining her wits after more than a month of blank anger.”
“Yeah, but it wasn't Kagome, so to hell with your logic. I just wanna go home,” Inuyasha very nearly whined even as the manor drew nearer.
“And you will be home in a while. I for one, can also not wait to see what Rin has gotten into today,” Sesshoumaru said, a hint of amusement crinkling the corners of his eyes.
“Should I get my head out of the gutter?” Inuyasha asked with a snort as Sess turned incensed eyes on him.
“Yes. That remark in no way infers anything of sexual nature, you hentai.”
“Anything for you, crossdresser.”
“Shut up.”
The carriage finally came to a stop before their front door, and the brothers slowly made their way towards it, eager to just sink into bed at the first chance they got.
The moment the doors opened, the shrill voice of an overly excited woman made both brothers wince and curse their sensitive ears.
“Sess-sama! What took both of you so long?” Rin asked, moving towards the startled brothers.
“Work,” Sess replied curtly, to which Rin just pouted.
“It's so late! Kagome and I had been trying to wait up for you, but she got too sleepy and went ahead to bed,” she said, taking both brother's coats and hanging them upon a rack Inuyasha had never taken any particular interest in.
“Well, Sesshoumaru, Rin, I dunno about you guys, but I'm going to bed. Still have a lot of fucking work left to finish, and I still have to talk to Yura about that new battalion they're building near this cluster,” Inuyasha said, partly to himself as he began slowly climbing the stairs.
The walk to his room seemed unbelievably long, and by the time he was standing beside his bed, he was exhausted and just craving to feel the soft sheets beneath him.
He was just about to lie down, when he heard a scream from the room beside his, followed by what felt like a strong wave of youki clashing with a very familiar reiryoku.
“Kagome!” he shouted. Fatigue forgotten, he dashed out of his room - a sense of deja vu filling him - and straight to the source of the sound.
oooooooooo
She was dreaming - she was positive - and it was undoubtedly one of her stranger dreams. She was dressed in something thin and filmy, standing in the middle of a crowded banquet hall, with people dancing around her, oblivious to her existence even as they bumped into her at times.
She looked down at herself, confused as she regarded her attire... it was the night dress she had been wearing the night Calderia fell. She checked her legs, right on the spot where she had been burned that day, and found that her leg was smooth and flawless, as if it hadn't received such an injury.
Looking around again, she gasped as the sight finally registered. She was standing in the middle of the banquet hall back in her palace in Calderia.
The Calderian flag waved tauntingly at her from its place in the farthest wall, right where the king's throne was supposed to be located. Leading her gaze down, tears filled her eyes as they settled on the much-missed image of her father.
“Otousan!” she cried and ran, mindless of the people bumping her as she did so. She stumbled as she came near, making her land in a teary, undignified heap at her father's feet.
“Otousan!” she cried again, clutching at the hem of his robes. Confusion clouded her mind as her father looked down, staring at her in puzzlement.
“Who are you?”
Shock filled her as he stood, assessing her in something akin to disdain. From her mussed hair, down to her nightgown clad body and bare feet, the king sneered in contempt at the sight of her.
“Otousan, it's me! Kagome! Your daughter!”
“Ku ku ku...” her father chuckled, and Kagome winced at the strange sound. “No you're not.”
“Father, what are you...”
The king's eyes hardened. “No musume of mine would betray me for my killer!”
As the words left her father's lips, all the festivities suddenly crumbled, leaving behind the burning, wrecked castle that Kagome had left behind. The fires, raging furiously, did nothing to wake Kagome from her shocked stupor, even as she felt her leg begin to burn once again. All of a sudden, everyone around her was dead or dying, their eyes piercing accusingly at the back of her head.
Her father suddenly sank to the ground, and Kagome panicked and knelt down to him at once. “Father!” she cried, horror filling her as the blood began to flow through her father's torso and spilled out his open lips.
“Kagome...” he rasped, eyes pained and betrayed, “I loved you so much, daughter. But you betrayed me... how could you!”
“No father!” she cried, tears spilling unchecked down her cheeks. She ignored the growing pain as her burn reappeared, looking even nastier than it had been before. “I will never - I never!”
“Yes you did,” the king said angrily. “You are living with Inuyasha, my killer! And do not even deny that you are beginning to feel deeply for him. You have disregarded the fact that the hanyou had killed me! How could you! You have fallen in love with the man who killed your own father!”
“No!” Kagome yelled. “Never... I hate him! I will never forgive him for what he did, father. Never!”
“You lie... you have even mated with him.”
“No, I didn't know. Father, I love you! I can never forget that it was he who took you away from me, that he was one of the people who destroyed Calderia!” she begged him to believe her. He just had to...
“Do you want to avenge me, daughter?”
“Yes,” she answered almost automatically, even as something poked at her from the back of her mind. “I do, and I will, father, I swear!”
“Then I want you to take his life,” the kings rasped, “in exchange for mine.”
Kagome gasped. “You wish for me to kill him father?”
“Why do you ask me that in such a way?” King Higurashi sneered. “Afraid you can't do it? Because you have fallen in love with your father's killer?”
“NO! Anything, I will do anything to let your soul rest in peace, otousan. Tell me what to do.”
“Very well,” the king replied. He then laid out his hands in front of Kagome, and the miko watched as a dark red light appeared on her father's palm. Slowly, the light took form, then receded, revealing a small, gold-encrusted dagger.
“Take this dagger, my beloved daughter, and stab him through the heart with it,” the king said as Kagome stared in shocked awe at the sharp weapon her father was giving her. “He is youkai, so an ordinary weapon will just give him a wound and will heal. A wound made by this,” Higurashi motioned to the knife, “Will be his undoing.”
Kagome carefully took the knife, holding it to her chest with two hands. “This... will kill Inuyasha?”
“Yes. Kill him before he does something to you!” he said, the smoke growing thick and making his words sound even more forced. “He has already forced himself on you by initiating a mating without your consent. Kill him before he takes you and corrupts you!”
“Father...”
“I want you to hurt him in the worst way possible. Gain his trust, then take his life. Let my soul rest!” he yelled, and Kagome watched in horror as her father slowly faded from her vision.
Kagome called out to him, cradling the knife to her chest. “Father, no! No! OTOUSAN!”
oooooooooo
“KAGOME!” Inuyasha yelled as he burst into the room, right as the last vestiges of the sudden burst of youki faded into the night.
`Someone was trying to hurt Kagome while she slept!' he realized, and he rushed over to her, shaking her still form. “Kagome! Wake up!”
Kagome's eyes snapped open, and he reeled back slightly as her gaze - for just a moment, but a moment too long, in his opinion - settled on him with pure, unabashed hatred. Then, just as quickly as it appeared, the look was gone, replaced by teary confusion as the girl suddenly pulled him to herself.
“Inuyasha...” she breathed. “I had a dream...”
“What about?” Inuyasha asked, crushing her to himself.
“I... I don't remember,” she whispered, burying her face in her chest. “I'm scared...”
“It's alright, don't worry,” he reassured her, his hands finding their way to her back, tangling in her long raven tresses. “I won't let anything hurt you...”
They stayed there for a long time, Inuyasha comforting Kagome, her trying to calm down, and it was a couple of hours until Inuyasha was finally convinced that she was alright.
They had talked, and the hanyou was shaken to find out from Kagome that Sango believed that he had unintentionally begun to claim her as his. Kagome was surprised to know that Inuyasha was currently working on helping build a security battalion to surround the Eloria Galaxy. All in all, both had used the short time to catch up on the other's lives, and by the end, Inuyasha had promised to find out more about the mating initiation, and Kagome had sworn to be more careful during her trainings with Kaede.
“You're sure you're alright? Should I send Koharu in here?” Inuyasha asked softly, holding on to her arms as he sat at the end of her bed.
“No, thank you. I'll be fine,” she said, smiling at Inuyasha's worried expression. “Oh, stop it, Inuyasha, I'm ok! It was just a bad dream. I can't even remember what it was about!”
“Ok. If you're sure,” he said hesitantly, still holding her gently. “If anything comes up, just holler, get it?”
His eyes were so full of concern... his brows drawn together in worry and his full lips pinched, showing that he was still very anxious. His golden gaze was captivating, and Kagome found herself feeling rather light-headed in his presence.
“Yes,” she whispered, surprised at how breathless she sounded.
Inuyasha was looking dazed, gazing at face, her lips, and he found himself thrilled at the small hitch in the miko's breath. Her eyes had widened a tiny fraction, and unconsciously, both felt themselves leaning closer... their breaths fanning over the other's face, the soft lull of their heartbeats and the heat of the moment making them close their eyes as their lips slowly, shyly came together...
“Inuyasha?”
The call from the other side of the door startled them both, making Kagome jump back to the far side of the bed and almost bumping against the headboard. Inuyasha leapt off the bead and growled at the interruption. “We're fine, Rin. Go to sleep!”
Footsteps sounded and faded, showing that Rin had indeed gone back to her room.
Inuyasha sighed, cursing whatever Gods that were definitely laughing at him at that moment. “So... I'll see you tomorrow, alright?” he said, looking anywhere but at her.
“Ok,” Kagome replied, not looking up as she heard Inuyasha walk out of her room.
Just as the door closed behind him, Kagome gave a huge sigh, slumping against her headboard. `What was that!' Kagome screamed in her mind, shaking her head as she began to pull her sheets back over her form to go to sleep again.
Until a queer glint on her bedside table caught her eye.
Puzzled, Kagome reached over, grasping two things at the same time as she reached over. Opening her palm, she saw that she was holding her golden comb, and right beside it was...
She dropped both objects suddenly as if they burnt her, her dream rushing back to her as she stared at the object beside the comb given to her by Inuyasha.
The dagger from her dream.
It glinted tauntingly at her, reminding her where she was, what she was, what she had lost...
And just who had been responsible.
It was the same man she lived under the same roof with, the self-same man who had just a few moments ago been in her room, holding her to himself as if she was his.
The same man she had nearly kissed.
Tears filled her eyes, coursing down her cheeks as she picked up the dagger, holding it to her heart. `How?' she asked herself. `How did this get here? My dream, was it a sign?'
The words of her father from the dream flew around her head, filling her chest with a guilty sort of pain.
I loved you so much, daughter. But you betrayed me... how could you!
You are living with Inuyasha, my killer!
You have fallen in love with the man who killed your own father!
The tears came faster, her chest heaving with the exertion.
“Have I really?” she asked softly, pain wracking her very soul. Had she really fallen in love with him? Maybe it was just because of the deal with the Shikon, maybe that was why she felt like this...
You have fallen in love with the man who killed your own father!
She remembered the near kiss from just a few moments ago, and how her heart had screamed when Rin interrupted...
She shuddered in guilt as she remembered just how much she wanted that kiss...
You have fallen in love with the man who killed your own father!
NO! She can't have... `I couldn't have... It's wrong!'
Do you want to avenge me, daughter?
Did she want to? Could she kill him?
Do you want to avenge me, daughter?
Yes, she had to... in honor of her father's memory.
oooooooooo
A/N: Done! Yay, I'm done! That was kinda long, but I guess that could be my sorta `sorry' for not updating for so long... Hehe...
Thanks again, and I mean THANK YOU so much for reading my fic. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review this one too. Til next chapter, ja!
SR1001