InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Breeder's World ❯ Chapter 72-74 ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

07-01-06
 
~~~Kin's P.O.V. ~~~
 
I entered the elevator with my mate on my arm and tried to digest everything that we had seen. The memories on the younger Inuyasha had been few but he couldn't help but be upset again that neither he not Sesshoumaru had kept the boy. His honor was forever tarnished for waiting so long to check up on the pup. The miko though seemed to healing the scars from his youth. He could remember very well how depressed the boy had looked after the death of Naraku. Inuyasha has thrown himself into training and before long was one of the best fighters in the west.
 
“Is it true?”
 
“Is what true my dear?”
 
“That you left him alone when he needed family the most?”
 
“Unfortunately.”
 
“How could you allow Sesshoumaru to do that to his own brother? You harked on our pups that they should always respect family! You knew this deep down because you told me your brother is the one who taught it to you!”
 
“I have no excuse Kimi. What do you want me to say? I was angry that Toshiro would betray the blood and mate a human. You know because of our long lives that a grudge lasts a very long time. Izayoi was young by human standards and even 15 years she should have still been alive! No one notified our family of her death so I thought them gone not her dead and him hunted.”
 
“I see. So you thought a bunch of humans during that era would understand how to raise a hanyou pup? That your brother who had no experience with children of his own because Sesshoumaru had been turned from him by his old mate that he would know what to tell Izayoi? No one in the royal family had ever had a hanyou! Everything he would have done and has done no other can lay claim too.”
 
“I know that now Kimi. You have to remember though that I was younger then my brother. I never could figure out what he was thinking unless he shared it with me. He was born in a litter where I was a lone pup. He grew up under harsher conditions then I did. The war was finished before I ever made it out of puberty. They allowed me to remain naive to some things that they had shoved in their faces. It took nearly a century of ruling my domain that I began to understand just how hard he had it. Talking to the old timers gave me a better view of the past and made me realize the importance of humans since they are the ones that helped win our war.”
 
“My dear you say you are younger then your brother?”
 
“Yes why?”
 
“Oh, I always thought you were from the same litter. I didn't come to the palace under nearly a century after the War. I was one of the last female Inus and was to be offered to another tribe since ours was decimated. When they realized that there was a way to retain their standing by having me mate you they offered me to Toshiro for you.”
 
“What are you saying mate?”
 
“Umm…how do I put this…? We never asked each other our age because it wasn't important but you see I was slightly older then your brother…”
 
“WHAT?” I yelled.
 
“Yeah.” Kimi mumbled as they reached their chair.
 
“And you assumed that because we were both the same height and similar build that we were the same litter and therefore had no objections since `we' were only slightly younger?”
 
“Yeah. It doesn't matter though does it?”
 
“How much is slightly older?”
 
“Only a few decades.”
 
“A few? Like 2-3 or 8-9?”
 
“I think 4? I wasn't exactly sure how old you or brother was but it wasn't uncommon since females took longer to reach our maturity in power. I mean physically we were able much younger but our intelligence develops slightly slower I noticed. Our girls though grown and gone still do silly things being a millennium old. I finally stopped all my antics at 1300.”
 
“But I never noticed you doing anything `silly'.”
 
“Then I was a proper mate. Female inus had a nasty need to prank and these other females and that you never noticed the things I did to our pups means that I fulfilled my duty and kept private things just that `private'. Sometimes I would have sworn my and my sisters were kitsunes with the things we pulled.” She giggled.
 
“I see. Well we both had secrets though yours was unintentional and mine was held for the guilt I felt.”
 
“It seems Inuyasha has moved on and I guess it would be detrimental to our new relations to continue to carry the past around like this. For the first time we both have a new appreciation for what Inuyasha can do and what he has gone through. His mother must have been something in order for her to ingrain his sense of honor so deep in his childhood that even the following 140 years or so couldn't change it. I can only now imagine some of the horrors he endured and anything worse then my imagination is truly scary to contemplate.”
 
“You are right mate. Does it not seem a little odd to you that they are only taking the miko as a breeder not as a shared mate?”
 
“Not really. Actually they are being very smart and very careful.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Kin just because you over came your dislike for humans because of your guilt doesn't mean all the other families have.”
 
“Oh. You're right. I forgot she is human…she just has such power that it is hard to classify her as one.”
 
“Then it is as it should be. Only a strong female can take on those two.”
 
“True, very true. Now my dear we have a presentation to prepare for and a good impression to make.”
 
“Very well mate I will be ready by 5 p.m.”
 
~~~ Sesshoumaru's P.O.V. ~~~
 
“Eyrein you can go now. Guard your mind and say nothing of this to anyone.”
 
“As you wish my lord.” Said Eyrein as he bowed and left into the elevator.
 
“I will say this Inuyasha and Kagome. You went through much more during that final battle then I was lead to believe. This Sesshoumaru owes you Inuyasha formal apology for not being the brother you deserved.”
 
“Feh! Don't worry about it bro. Things worked out as they were meant to. If I wasn't hunted and found by Kikyo then she would have been betrayed some other way maybe made to believe Kaede perhaps betrayed her and that would have hurt her more then I did. At least she always expected me to turn on her. If I hadn't been pinned to the tree and Kagome was brought back to the past there wouldn't have been someone to save her and history might have gone so very wrong.”
 
I sat there for a moment and pondered on what my brother had said. Had things truly worked out for the best? Could they have been better if I hadn't blamed his mother for my father's death? However, he was right and if Kikyo still burned the jewel with her and Kagome was brought back to the past there wouldn't have been someone strong enough to defend her. History would have changed and not for the better.
 
“Perhaps you are right brother. There are worse things that could have happened. I still am sorry that I did what I did to you but if you can forgive me I will promise to try not to make similar mistakes in the future.”
 
“Feh! You are becoming to sentimental Sesshoumaru. Yeah I forgave you a long time ago when Kagome and I talked about it in the past. I knew that demons and humans were not meant to be together then and you were raised that way by your mother. It isn't your entirely fault.”
 
“Very well then Kagome needs to change into her outfit for tonight. I believe Joanne is coming to help you Kagome.”
 
“Really? Then why did you ask if this was what I was wearing for tonight?”
 
“I asked because I had made arrangements for her to come and when I saw your hair like that I wondered if you decided to do it yourself.”
 
“Oh. Well no I hadn't really thought about my hair since I was more concerned about the dress.”
 
“Well why don't you head up since I already cleared her with security.”
 
“Okay I hope you two are ready to be as surprised as everyone else.”
 
“I have no doubt you will look stunning Kagome.” said Inuyasha.
 
“I'll second that.” She gave us both a kiss and waved as she entered the elevator and disappeared.
 
“She really is something isn't she Sesshoumaru?”
 
“What do you mean brother?”
 
“She just made a favorable impression on our uncle so much so that he never said a word about her being human and then held her own after the mind meld not giving any more information then she wanted which is difficult for most people because of the mental draining it takes on a person to absorb information so fast. Not to mention that she didn't give away her thoughts or cry at what she was shown. Then she sits here and trades light hearted comments before parting to get ready to take on the entire youkai ruling class? And you have to ask?”
 
I sat quietly and actually thought about it and was amazed again at her strength because earlier today I had upset her and then trained again with her, with her actually winning. Then everything that Inuyasha mentioned and the night had just begun on taking on the ruling class of youkai. Now I felt the need to protect her and postpone the presentation to another night for the day had already been so long but I knew I couldn't.
 
“You are right brother. She is one out of the entire current human population that has her strength. She is well above even most demonesses. She will probably be to tired tonight brother because she also had a hard training session this morning for anything you might want to do.”
 
“Really?” his voice was discouraged.
 
“Unfortunately yes. I was a little harder on her this morning then I meant to be.”
 
“What happened?”
 
“I pushed her too far to fast and her muscles locked up. Once I helped her relax she made a comment that I took wrong and upset her. However, she did beat me with a new attack that she thought up.”
 
“She beat you?” he said incredulous.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Wow.” Awe easily heard in his tone.
 
“Yes. Now little brother I know that you are as eager as I am to see her new outfit. Has she given you any hints?”
 
“What is this Sesshoumaru? You gossiping like a female?” Inuyasha teased.
 
“Hush Inuyasha. I am not gossiping but I have been curious for a while now. I was with her at the dress shop remember and she did not pick any fabric that was already made. She was having it specially dyed and made for tonight.”
 
“Then how did you not know what she wanted?”
 
“Once she realized I was actually listening she cast a small shield to block what was being said.”
 
“Oh. She can do that?”
 
“Wasn't she able to before?”
 
“No.”
 
“Strange. Perhaps Midoriko had a influence before she made herself known?”
 
“Maybe but really I have no idea.”
 
“Hn. I guess that means we will have to discuss the way we want things to go tonight.”
 
“Yeah. Why doesn't that seem as interesting as Kagome's dress?”
 
“Because you get to mate with her once it comes off.” I said off handedly and watched as Inuyasha's face turned red with him stuttering denial.
 
“Now Inuyasha don't take me as a fool. We both know what it is we both want. We have waited for someone we both could tolerate and Kagome surpasses that being that we want to be with her. We also both want an heir so why deny what we are both looking forward to?”
 
“It's not that Sesshoumaru. I always wanted a family that I didn't have when I was younger. Even though I was still coming out of my puberty stage I could easily picture a life with Kagome but I knew that if she had stayed then I would have lived long after she died. I have lived longer then I originally believed. Can you imagine what I would be like now if I had had her then and lost her in a few scant decades when I have now lived to be 1100 years old? I was only a little over two hundred years when I first met her.”
 
“Yes but you would have had children and they would have been beside you.”
 
“Before they figured out that mikos can choose to change their pup's breed she wouldn't have known that and let nature take its course. They would have been only quarter demon and most likely would be dying of old age right about now.”
 
“I see. Perhaps you are right.”
 
“I have had a lot of time to think about this Sesshoumaru. I know that originally that I was depressed and I reminded Shippo that she would be waiting in the future but Shippo is the one that pointed out the obvious once I thought about it as to why she had to go. She changed everything except herself which meant she would be human. Some humans that have no power can accept a life bond to demons to extend their lives but Kagome has so much power that I couldn't have overcome it and tie her soul to mine and no idea if she could have bonded herself to me. I would have lost her anyway but with her going back to the future I could make myself into the person I wanted to be before I met her again. I wanted to make sure I could provide for her a better life then that of a hut in a poor village. I know she wouldn't have cared because her love would've been enough for her but I had seen what humans had made and knew that while she loved me she needed her family too. I wanted to be part of that and if we stayed in the past that wouldn't have happened.”
 
“That is a rather long speech brother but I see your point. I am glad she is back and though she can not be your mate yet you will still have her and not shame her as this would have in the past.”
 
“Exactly.”
 
“Shall we propose a toast to new beginnings brother?” I asked as I turned to the wet bar near my desk.
 
“I thought you would never ask!” Inuyasha grinned like a maniac and hopped out of the chair to help mke a drink to calm his nerves.
 
~~~Kagome's P.O.V. ~~~
 
I had just got into the home floor and got a drink when the elevator beeped again and Joanne stepped out. She looked happy to see me and I was happy to see her.
 
“Joanne! How good to see you but aren't you early?”
 
“A little I was going to be waiting for you since I had a few things to warm up for your hair. However, it seems that I will have help to make things go faster. So how was your meeting with their uncle go?”
 
“Well things didn't go quite as planned.”
 
“Something go wrong?”
 
“Well we were just going to tell him a few things for now and later explain in more detail but He fainted once we finished the story and Eyrein decided that it would be easier to explain the rest in a mind meld. It was hard to relive everything at the end. So much happened and if you want to be truthful I am more then a little tired. For me it has been less then two weeks since the defeat of Naraku. I went straight from the battle to unconsciousness to the village for a few days to recover and made my wish on what turned out to be my 20th birthday. I had forgotten all about it and I wake up on the morning of my inspection here in the future. Signed a contract that put me here and now in just over a week I am being presented to those I never thought I would see.”
 
“Well I guess for you this is a little over whelming.”
 
“More then a little Joanne. Only a short time ago Shippo was my kit and now I find he is all grown up and has a large family. Can you imagine how I feel? I went from a needed mother to a grandmother of grown grandchildren in a space of less then a day for me. I still want to go back and be with my heart's sister and my kit and mate Inuyasha. I can't though and now I won't be able to truly mate Inuyasha because of how things have changed. It really hurts Joanne and though I can push it away most of the time it has been my dream for almost 5 years. That's a good long time to me and for any human who doesn't get prolong. It would be nearly a sixteenth of a life time it my original time line.”
 
“I am sorry Kagome. I never realized…You just seemed so happy. I never thought about the fact you lived another life then this one I mean…”
 
“I know what you mean. You thought this was my original time for the most part anyway. It would make sense that even if my wish changed things I should be put back into a future I knew. In a way I was but then again its not. I am happy to be with Inuyasha and I would be lying to say I am not attracted to Sesshoumaru. I am happy to see my kit all grown up since I expected he would be once I started to fade away but I wasn't there to see it. I wasn't there to see the birth of his first child or you or any of the others.”
 
“Kagome it will be alright. Most of my siblings still act like kids and you will soon have your own. You have two males that love you and have waited for you. If that is not devotion I do not know what is.”
 
“Only one waited Joanne. Sesshoumaru barely gave me a second glance in the past.”
 
“I wouldn't be so sure of that Kagome. I can remember a few times my father complaining that they got drunk and were fighting over you.”
 
“What?”
 
“Yeah…Well I mean they would start to drink and Inuyasha would start in on how beautiful and stuff you were and Sesshoumaru had found things out from my father about the future that Inuyasha never bothered to ask and they would begin to fight on who knew the most about you and who you would choose if given the choice, whether Sesshoumaru was serious I don't know but father said they left themselves in the infirmary a few times. After one particularly bad night Shippo asked them a question that ended the drunken fights.”
 
“What question was that?”
 
“He asked them that if you hadn't like Kouga and Inuyasha fighting over you how would you take two brothers fighting over a woman? He reminded them of the fact that you always pushed them to act like family and cooperate and it would've broken your heart to see it. So they stopped and came to a compromise that if you couldn't choose you wouldn't have to they would call up pack law and share you. But now things have changed again and society now has breeder's that allow women who don't want to bare children to have them and keep demon lines pure. Most realize that we have to mix every now and then not to become inbred but that is over looked.”
 
“Wow. You mean they truly fought?”
 
“Yeah they fought.”
 
“Why though? I mean in the past Sesshoumaru never really looked at me why would he fight for me once I was gone?”
 
“I don't know everything, for I can only speculate, but I believe it was because Sesshoumaru was not able to find a compatible female demon and hearing Inuyasha go on and on about you and from what he learned about you it seemed like even though you were human you would be a good choice. At the time Inuyasha hadn't been named heir to the east and Sesshoumaru played upon his fears of being able to provide for you stating that he was a lord and could do better.”
 
“Sesshoumaru was always like that. He would always tease him about what couldn't be helped when they fought over the sword. He seems changed now though, what happened?”
 
“I do not know but I know such teasing soon faded once he was crowned Lord of the eastern lands. I think that now they were on equal footing their was little let to tease him about. The western lands were always richer due to it being closer to the continent but other then that…But then after they came to an agreement it seemed to be put aside for if and when you came back.” she let her voice fade away.
 
“I see. That is the past though. I can see his heart with my powers now and I know that he sees him as a true brother. Perhaps as grown up as he seemed there were still things he himself had to learn?”
 
“Maybe. Now if we are done we need to get you ready.”
 
“Why do I feel so nervous now? I have been looking forward to tonight. I was happy to finally be able to claim a small part in Inuyasha's life.”
 
“Nerves always come when you do not want them to. However, I believe that if we start getting ready and you look more forward to their reactions then the presentation you might feel better. I will call Sess and ask him to have some food to snack on brought up. I believe that will help settle those stomach butterflies of yours.”
 
“That sounds good. Thank you Joanne.”
 
“Not a problem grandma.” She said with a smile. It warmed my heart to know that she accepted me. Tomorrow or hopefully the day after I will get to meet the rest. I hoped I would be recovered by then.
 
We set up the flat irons, ponytail holders, hair pins, combs, and chop sticks down in hand wrought silver. My hair was done up on a traditional bun with the combs looking like they held things in place. I had a chop stick with a few small bells the gently rung with every turn of my head and my makeup was light and natural looking. When I uncovered my gown I heard the surprised gasp from Joanne.
 
“Oh my…That has to be the most beautiful dress I have ever seen Kagome.” It was a remarkable piece of work. Starting at the shoulders and hem where a deep blue and in the middle the colors of the noon day sun. It was like you took the sky from around the world and placed it flat onto a cloth. The neck was high and the collar came down like a kimono tracing it was all around and down to the hem though it was a western dress. The traditional circle was cut out on the shoulder and would show my milky white skin set it off in the dark blue. Specks of diamonds sprinkled the gown in true formations and on the back was the demon's one of the Inu with thin white lines connecting it to show its form. It almost looked like some turned there view slightly sideways so that the dog was standing on the sun that was not shown with its muzzle facing the shoulder that carried the house mark. The sleeves were again similar to a kimonos with the size of the sleeves but more streamlined so she could eat without holding the sleeve back. The skirt was full flowing outward a good foot from her feet at the bottom. The bottom hem had the words of the house mark embroidered around to show everyone what exactly was placed in the mark without someone getting to close.
 
“I even had Mrs. Dunn spell it so I could wash it with out ruining it and to keep anyone from staining it. Isn't it lovely?”
 
“Who came up with this Kagome? It is simply marvelous.”
 
“Actually I did but it is all Mrs. Dunn's work. I could never create anything myself this wonderful. She even gave me a coat that goes around it so that no one will see it till I descend the stairs.”
 
“Are you going to let the guys see it first?”
 
“Are you crazy? Nope they are going to see it for the first time just like everyone else. That way I can keep my mind on them then all the people.”
 
“You are such a tease Kagome!”
 
“Well I hope so otherwise the next few centuries are going to be quite boring.” I said in a poor imitation of an British accent to which Joanne laughed.
 
“Let's get your coat then and be off.”
 
“Thank you for your help Joanne!” giving her a respectful bow to which she returned but more deeply.
 
“Not a problem my lady.” I giggled and together we made sure everything was off and put on my coat.
 
~~~Inuyasha's P.O.V. ~~~
My brother and I had had a few drinks but nothing that would intoxicate us. We had a few laughs over the reactions of people had towards Kagome and discussed half-heartedly Kagome's future training. It was hard to think of training when we were going to be `training' her in other pursuits. It still seemed strange that I wasn't jealous of sharing Kagome with my brother but in another way it was nice to know that there was someone else who was beginning to care for her as much as I did. I knew Sesshoumaru would help keep her safe from the vultures of the courts. Though I knew Kagome could defend herself it was nice to know she wouldn't always have to.
 
There were so many things that my brother and I shared now that we would have never thought to in the past. We ruled together the western and eastern lands. I took over most of it while he currently ran the breeding program but it was a fair trade since I had more help then he did. I could use the other nobles to make trade and such go easier while Sesshoumaru had the final say in all things outside the court of law.
 
We reminisced on our previous attempts to find a breeder and could now laugh at some we had considered. Kagome brought with her new hope for us and our family. Soon we both would have had to go to a breeder for a heir before we became to old to see our children grown. Now that I knew I could have a full demon heir it eased many nobles fear of having my as a current ruler.
 
“You know Sesshoumaru we are truly a little old to be doing this.”
 
“Why do you say that?” his voice curious.
 
“Well being the oldest hanyou that anyone knows of, no doctor knows when I will start to become infertile. I have had a few tests done over the years once they were able to determine that kind of thing and so far so good but I was getting more uncomfortable as each year passed.”
 
“I see. I have never bothered to check but now that you point it out I realize that I have not been checking up on my own health. Though I am sure that isn't a problem considering I haven't hit my peak in power yet there might be other problems. I would hate though to subjugate myself to Doctor Weaver for tests now that she is annoyed with me.”
 
“Oh yeah…I forgot about that. I wonder how long she is going to hold that against you this time not telling Kagome about the Inu practices.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru does not know but it would be to her advantage to let things go or she will find herself with much more work then usual.”
 
“How will you manage that? I thought you were saying not long ago that every day seemed to get longer and longer?”
 
“Thanks to Kagome calming me and riding me of my stress I have found that In one morning I did the work of three days. I could easily shift that to bringing in more breeders and let her have a continuous line of tests and people to train rather then the small breaks between classes that I give her now.”
 
“Ouch. I am glad you are my allay now Sess or I would have a lot of trouble now wouldn't I?”
 
“Yes little brother you would.”
 
“Well…” the elevator suddenly beeped and both of us turned hoping to catch sight of Kagome's dress only to be met with a rather full looking off blue trench coat. My eyes trailed from floor to her face and I nearly dropped my jaw at just her face. Her hair was so delicately styled and so well done that it looked like it took more then a little over an hour and a half to do.
 
“Wow Kagome you look really good.” I watched as she blushed and gave a small bow.
 
“I am glad you approve how `bout you Sesshoumaru?”
 
“Your hair and face are pleasing Kagome but we wanted to see the dress.”
 
“Nope. You two are going to be as surprised as everyone else.”
 
“But Kagome…”
 
“Inuyasha I want to be able to concentrate on your reactions rather then everyone else's because otherwise I will probably embarrass you both. Please do it this way.” Inuyasha sighed.
 
“I am okay with it, Sess?”
 
“I would still prefer to see the dress but if we must I will wait. Now are we all ready to go?”
 
“Yup.” Kagome and I said with a smile.
 
“Then let us go.”
 
~~~Break to Sesshoumaru's P.O.V. On the chair heading to the presentation.~~~
 
We were almost to the concert hall and I had a sudden fluttering in my stomach. I was unsure if it was me or if I felt it through the bond but I believe it would be better not to ask for if it was me I did not want to know. I mentally prepared my speech again in my head for the announcement. Kagome and Inuyasha were having a quiet conversation about sitting arrangements and where she would be seated. I glanced at her through the side of my eyes trying to catch a glimpse of her dress but it was to no avail. I know Mrs. Dunn would never make something inappropriate but I couldn't help but feel that this dress was going to be important somehow and not being able to judge whether it will be good or bad bothered me.
 
The chair came to a stop and we got out and Inuyasha left with a chaste kiss to his side of the building to his seat on the Eastern edge. Kagome placed her arm in his and they ascended to the top of the building in order to make their way down to his seat.
 
“Sesshoumaru?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I hate to ask this question now but Joanne mentioned something that I find interesting.”
 
“Indeed?”
 
“She said that for a time you and Inuyasha fought over me when you would drink together.”
 
“Yes.” I offered no comment.
 
“Well I guess my question would be as to why? Why fight over me once I was gone? Why care?” I felt a sigh build in me but I did not release it.
 
“I could not admit to myself when you were here that you had the cleanest and purest scent. I did not want to believe the stories your friends told. It was much easier to delude myself that the objects you had came from the continent rather then the future. I could believe magic connecting two places since there were several in Japan but the future? No, I would not believe that humans had taken over as my brother had said.”
 
“Oh? That still does not…” I placed a finger to her lips.
 
“Let me finish Kagome.” She nodded. “I refused to believe you were from the future for that meant my father was right and that the path I was on was wrong. I told my father the night before he left that I was on the path of ultimate conquest. If it were true, and you were from the future, it meant that I had failed and if what your companions said was true no one remembered youkai at all. Or at least not any of our stories or culture. Even our bones seemed to go missing. Once things settled down a little after your disappearance Inuyasha mentioned that something seemed off and once we investigated around the country several human inventions that we knew took time and money to build were left to rust. Guns from china were thrown down and swords resumed their honored place. Inuyasha said that in the future you mentioned you were afraid for him to be seen for someone might `shoot' him.” I sighed then trying to organize my thoughts.
 
“Every invention we salvaged and tried out polluted the earth, so we decided that it was part of your wish. It left usually some thing foul in the air and we studied closely the change humans underwent. No longer wasteful they only hunted for food and clothing rather then sport. Animals that were hunted for their pelts were left alone to regroup their numbers. It was a startling change that no one realized how far humans had begun to interfere in our lives. Our food sources were almost wiped out and if that happened many would have had to hunt humans which would have lead to humans hunting us.”
 
“Inuyasha and I wondered at the smaller amounts of youkai for years until it seemed their was a sudden surge in births and life in our ranks. Courts sessions that had begun to be held less and less often now were speeding up again as there was now offspring to arrange marriages for. Courts were given new life and treaties with humans to ensure our prey was left alone began. Dealings continued and peace between us though strained at times was never broken.”
 
“Before all the signs showed themselves I knew that I had tried to kill you when I first met you because I felt the pull. My father had described it as a pull he felt to be near Izayoi. Instead of following it as my father had I resisted and tried to kill you before it became to strong. Inuyasha must have felt the same pull for he tried to avenge you with a fierceness I would have never attributed to him. My father researched this `pull' and found that Inus had a knack for finding compatible mates and if one or more of us felt a pull then it meant that person had something to add to our blood line. Of course that went against all my beliefs at the time. I refused to add more human blood.” Kagome's face began to dawn in understanding.
 
“Inus knew instinctively that youkai had to freshen the blood in our veins in order to survive. Our senses were keen and instincts ran deep. As one of the oldest youkai kinds in existence we were part of a baser kind then most. So again after you left the pull became stronger and we both knew that it was hopeless to resist. For a while we fought about who would bring you into the blood line but your Kit had made a valid point you would take neither if we fought against each other. So we agreed to pack law which allows a more liberal mating between the alpha and beta males with a female.”
 
“So you see we have waited though once Inuyasha believed we passed your time and missed you somehow or that you were killed the pull died down. Till roughly about a 150 years ago it seemed to die all together. So it left us without a possible mate and the breeder program was finally coming on line. So we decided to wait a little longer to see if we could find a breeder since none could compare to you.”
 
“In my office that day I was not expecting to find you, it took me a while to realize who you really were and my brother's mention to not let you leave slid the last missing piece into place. I had already decided to offer you the position and it was good to know that Inuyasha would appear to agree with me. Though your scent was similar to the past it had changed and was more powerful. I thought you a reincarnation perhaps with the same name.”
 
“Wow. I never realized…” Kagome seemed to struggle for words. “I think I know why the call died out. I think you should have taken it as hope for it meant I would be coming sometime not that I was gone. That is around the time my grandfather and mother came into the picture so my family was beginning to reform like they had 400 years ago. Though I guess it does not matter since I am here and we are now together but it is an interesting tale.”
 
~~ Kagome's P.O.V. ~~
 
We arrived at the building and Inuyasha went off to his side while I followed Sesshoumaru. We traveled up a few stair cases till we reached his door. The crescent moon was engraved over head and silver drapes. Inside the door was another stair lit brightly with torch shaped lights.
 
“Sesshoumaru?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Where are we going? I thought your door way entered upon your seat?”
 
“No we have to descend down a little. While the dragons built this building well it was determined that the platforms inside did not match the outer one. A shift in the mold left the top part without the landings and so they installed the Video projection, a hologram I believe it is called, in the missing space so once we reach the cameras everyone will be able to see us no matter where they sit.” Sighing in disbelief that the science fiction of my life was now reality I just followed along and decided that the future couldn't hold that many more surprises.
 
Once we cleared the covered stair case we entered right upon the largest landing on our side of the building. Gilded chairs and a long table was before us. The entire building was done in streams of fabric making it look like an ancient festival with banners on the railings. In the middle was the glass floor and it had been cleaned and lowered to only a third of the way up. There were more houses here then what I was supposed to learn and each landing I could see mostly youkai and only one human per every so many landings. It was like a huge silly silo like the ones that were a carnival ride where it would spin you around and you would stick to the wall. Dizzying though it was I kept my head high as someone handed a clip to Sesshoumaru.
 
“Welcome to my presentation Youkai houses of Japan. I greet the human parliament and the press. My Breeder's name as some of you know is Kagome Higurashi of the sunset shrine of the city here in Tokyo. My brother and I plan to share the cost and the responsibility of taking care of her. She is as of now equal status to the lower houses alphas. Respect shall be given and insults shall end your life tonight. Now Kagome.” I stepped up to his side and his hands went to the clasp on my coat. Slowly he removed and revealed the dress that I had chosen to see myself given life upon the hologram projector as over thirty feet tall. Everyone could see a full 360 degrees of me as I smiled and gave a low bow to the crowd. The silence was almost deafening but slowly the applause started and I looked for the source to see my mom and Inuyasha on the other side of the building clapping for me. Tears blurred my vision for a moment before pushing them back. Tonight I was no longer the hand of fate but here I stood creating my Fate for the first time. I felt the pride coming from the brothers and I could feel Inuyasha's hungry gaze. Smiling I lifted my hands as ceremony demanded.
 
“I come before the Youkai Courts and the Human parliament to Announce my new place in society. I shall give friendship freely to those that offer and my sword to those who deny me.”
 
End of Chapter 72
 
7-4-06
 
~~ Inuyasha's P.O.V. ~~
 
Clapping my hands, I couldn't help but admire Kagome. The dress was absolutely in-fucking-creditable! That she displayed her mark so proudly and the design of the stars was obviously showing what kind of male she preferred. I could almost hear Kouga shouting about how I influenced her dress and this time all I would do is smile and nod. That would throw the mongrel off. We never did get along and I know Sango and Miroku thought it was because we were to much alike though leave it to Shippo of all people who truly got it. It wasn't that we were alike per say it was that dogs and wolves instinctually did not mix well especially when there is a female involved. Luckily I conveniently forgot to send him and invitation. (chuckles to himself) Let him see the news clip if he even got that up in the mountains. The idiot still preferred his cave though it was much nicer then it used to be with indoor plumping finally installed and a few other connivances.
 
When she offered up the ritual saying I couldn't help but swell with pride at my bitch. My youkai side was in total agreement that though the dress was nice it would look even better on my floor. I suddenly felt like I had an entire nights sleep when my youkai blood boiled in my veins knowing that this was our female. The problem was that I had to wait to see if she had the energy tonight to complete our bonding. However, the energy was put to good use for now keeping my eye out for any mummers of even slight disagreement so that I was prepared later in the year for the challenges. Though the concert hall was large I could easily hear for the most part up to my half of the building. The problem was that with so many people I was unsure I would catch all those whose feelings were less then agreeable.
 
Scanning the crowd for the known trouble makers I saw their unhappy faces. Tanka the leader of the Kin Shingai was mumbling to himself though he didn't seem to be upset. Several others from the known unloyal houses were obviously upset and I could see though not hear clearly their arguments. Turning back to my brother and Kagome I saw them seated as everyone stopped clapping and resumed their positions.
 
“Now that I have your attention this Sesshoumaru's wishes everyone a pleasant meal.” My brother clapped his hands once and the servers came out. In minutes everyone had their food and was chatting quietly. My uncle was to his left with one seat open for me later. While Kagome's family was shown to their seats now at my table.
 
“Mr. Takahashi it is good to see you again.” Said O-dori Higurashi. Her son and her father bowed as they took their seats.
 
“Good to see you all. Was your trip comfortable?” the manners Rin pounded into my head kicking in.
 
“Oh it was fine. It is great to see her finally happy in life. The past few years have been so hard on her. The glow that my daughter once had it back and brighter then ever. I was worried for a while that she choose to become a house breeder instead of a regular one. Some have had problems adjusting to your way of doing things. I feared she would be over whelmed in the preparations but she seems fine.”
 
“My brother took care of everything but her dress Mrs. Higurashi, well that and her furniture. She knew what she wanted so it was all done in just a few days truthfully the most stressful thing she has done is train.” I said hoping to avoid the questionable poisons and deaths that had happened.
 
“Oh? I heard of the break in and destruction of the security in the building was that exaggerated by the press or was it truly that bad?” her voice held a mild reproach fullness that could lead to problems if I wasn't careful.
 
“Unfortunately it was understated so that no one would attack us but the people were after something in our safe and not your daughter.” Hoping to deter her with that I was not really surprised when she continued on as if I said nothing.
 
“Under stated? What happened?” her tine changed to worry again.
 
“Basically they ripped the guard station to shreds and fried all security wiring to the lower floors so no one would notice them blasting the safe. Luckily we had moved the item in question to some where safer. As I said it wasn't your daughter per say that they wanted it was what we had. I believe they thought that we would be too preoccupied with the preparations to notice at first but my brother is a perfectionist and had things down on paper and favors lined up so it only took a few calls and trips to the dress makers to really pull everything together. We were still caught unaware since no one has tried to take anything from us in centuries but we had a fast reaction time considering the circumstances.” I hoped I had made my voice as soothing as possible.
 
“I see so my daughter was with you then and not in danger?” she asked.
 
“Yes. We would never let harm intentionally befall Kagome Mrs. Higurashi. Life in the houses is not for all but she had made remarkable progress in her training and I believe she will win her challenges at the ball. Maybe a little worse for wear but alive and healthy. After that the most danger she will be in hopefully is child bearing.” Pink tinted Mrs. Higurashi's cheeks as she nodded her head. I guess being a little to frank with her caused her to blush.
 
“Well said my boy! I wish to see a great many grandchildren my daughter here refused to raise more then two. Said that it was enough.” Said grandpa slapping O-dori's back as she gave a indignant cough.
 
“Mom always said Kagome was to much of a handful. Couldn't keep her pinned up for she would cry until she was either picked up or let out.” Well that explained a lot, when I tried to keep her in the past then, would have been more helpful then though, would have saved me a lot of `sits'.
 
“I'll have to remember that Souta. Thanks for the tip.” I winked at him and he grinned back at me.
 
“So what do we do now?” asked Souta.
 
“After dinner I will join my brother and our uncle will watch over you. Wouldn't want any youkai to kidnap you and make us loose our breeder hey?” I was half joking half serious.
 
“Really?! Why does anyone care that Kagome is your breeder? I mean it's not like she is pretty or anything.” For that O-dori hit the back of his head but he was unrepentant.
 
“Your Sister is very pretty Souta and I will have to remind her of that later.” Giving him another wink I watched as his mouth formed an `O' as he realized what I meant before squinting and mouthing the word `ew'. Laughing I finished my meal and so did everyone else. I had never really sat down to dinner with Kagome's family and it was kinda nice. I was looking forward to the start of my own family though.
 
Suddenly I heard a whisper that didn't sound happy and I jerked my head to the right. Narrowing my eyes I tried to listen for anything more but there was nothing but snickering now. I saw to dark heads several tiers below me that seemed like the culprit but I couldn't be sure. Noting the family colors I tried to listen more closely instead of day dreaming about tonight.
 
The rest of the meal went quietly and I heard nothing more from anyone that sounded suspicious. The chatter from Kagome's family was interesting to say the least. Instead of sticking me with sutras like the first time round grandpa was actually asking me about me life and what exactly me and my brother did as the lords of the east and west. It was nice to actually talk to him and he had a few ideas that made sense about how to deal with the local human political parties and mentioned the motives some had that weren't public knowledge. It turned out the Kagome's grandfather was a retired politician and dealt with things only on a local level but had helped maintain the peace and helped demons regain some of our rights. No one questioned the ruling lords and their rights but the lesser known demons and the less powerful were almost like humans except that we had a mental beast and most could change forms. Not all demon families were wealthy either and for a long time benefits from their jobs and for schooling were much lower then humans.
 
It seemed strange that grandpa was so accepting of me this time round but I realized that it was Kagome's grandfather that had instilled in her the right and the wrong. Her ability to accept people came from her mom and grandfather but it was her grandfathers honor and pride that seemed to influence her the most. She had told me in the past that her grandfather had a great many things he said were from demons and instead of us being myths he was actually able to meet us and live beside us so Kagome's memories of his wild stories were more based in real life now that he actually had real stories to tell about his own life.
 
It hadn't seemed to really matter to Kagome that she had only awoken to this life less then 11 days ago. She adapted as she had when she first came to the past and quickly set her priorities. She had been cheated a little when it came to how she had expected things to turn out but it was nice that my brother and I had a real relationship that she had hoped for. Though sharing her was a little heart wrenching it seemed better this way in some aspects for she would not get the remaining stigmatism of being a hanyous mate no matter my position or power. She would be able to live a life of comfort that I was unable to offer her before and safety that ensure rather then worry over.
 
Things were quiet as the meal came to a close and desserts were served. I knew within the next few minutes the orchestra would begin to play and Kagome would acknowledge the bond before the other lords and the mingling and jockeying for power would begin.
 
On cue the orchestra began the first few notes and I watched as Kagome stood and returned to the front of the dais she was on. Closing her eyes I watched as she began to glow and murmurs again raced through the crowd and some speculated that she would only touch Sesshoumaru since I was across the room. And I was unsure if she cold stretch her power that far as well.
 
Her hands raised and she clasped them in prayer and a line thickly formed between her and my brother and one started to reach out to me. I was slightly startled to see it cover the distance so quickly and strongly. Everyone could easily see it even without the projection and it glowed brightly filling a small area around it like a dim light bulb. It was even more startling to actually see it reach me a few minutes later and it touched my heart and I felt the connection solidify and our hearts beat a one. Three hearts beet for another minute or so and the light and the power carefully faded away leaving a small trail of what humans would call pixy dust floating not golden in the air.
 
The applause again was random and again not truly heart felt but there. I stood and began making my way across the room as the Kotos began to play. One of the few truly unchanged instruments he listened half heartedly as they played the ancient march song that belonged to my house. It was a battle of strings the west's music was softer then the east which was more rowdy and playful. It was a joining of houses in one sense because we shared the same breeder and a meeting of the two since I was Sesshoumaru's brother. Over all the musicians finally came to a compromise and by the time I reached the middle my uncle met me. For a moment we stood in front of each other and finally he gave a slight bow and we each took a pace to our lefts and continued on.
 
It was a symbolic gesture to show that I now trusted my uncle to rule in my place and though he was only holding it for tonight it was not lost to the other hoses that something else had changed and the bickering that had separated us was over. I could not help the half smile that came to my face as I finally reached Kagome and my brother. To see her up close was even more breath taking then the hologram projection. She smiled that smile I had come to love and felt my heart skip beat. Sitting down we waited for the first group to approach. After all the major lords had come we would head back down to the glass floor and mingle until about midnight give or take an hour.
 
Lord Kanjinbo of the south and his few loyal advisors were the first to approach. The cat youkai was always trouble but he kept himself respectful this time and only murmured his congratulations on us taking a breeder. He moved on as quickly as he could and I felt a strange warning in my gut about him but it was minor at this time and I figured that though he needed watching he was harmless at the moment.
 
Lord Enti of the north was next and he was a strange one. His hair reminded me of fire and was always changing color no matter the light. He had to be the most womanizing male I had ever seen or heard of. His harem of female horse youkai reviled any collections through out history. His family had to break into seven groups one for each continent. He was almost personally responsible for bringing back the fire steeds from the brink of extinction. Now they were the largest group of any youkai species for his sons and daughters were just as virile as he was. As he made his way over I saw his nostrils flaring and couldn't figure out why.
 
When he reached our seats I saw him stare at Kagome for a moment and I saw him eyeing her necklace. As I started to get upset he finally lowered himself to his knees and whispered, `Mistress.' Shock floated through me and it took a moment to figure out what he was talking about. But it seemed Kagome knew.
 
“Enti.” She said civilly. “I hear you have done well. It is good to see that you obeyed me last wish. Have you been happy?” leave it to Kagome to always worry over someone else's happiness.
 
“Yes mistress. You're last words to me were so long ago. I was unsure you would remember.”
 
“For you it has been long Enti. Have you decided what you wish to do yet?”
 
“I wish to remain as lord of the north. The people respect me and we have caused little trouble for the brother's of the fang as you requested. My family has grown to proportions I never figured I would live to see. I thank you. For my freedom.”
 
The pieces were quickly coming together. Enti was the horse demon we fought together in the past. In the clean up of the final battle Kagome had shot that annoying little twerp and removed a curse from the demon horse. Since she won the right to sit upon his back she had done something in minutes that allowed the horse to go free. I never connected that Enti to the lord of the north. He had only taken over once he had a large enough family and only came into power four hundred and some years ago.
 
The silence is what made me realize that the entire conversation had been heard by the entirety of the concert hall. A sudden fear awoke in me and realized that there was no way to explain this to everyone. It was Shippo that saved us all. Some how he got up on the podium and changed himself into a replica of the lord and said in a demanding voice.
 
“What are you doing Fox?” Another quick cast illusion made the demon lord into himself. “This is not the time for jokes!” and suddenly the hall erupted into laughter and the two disappeared for a while and came back and they quickly acted like it was a trick and everyone seemed to lighten up after that. A quick save by my soon to be adopted son. I never loved him more.
 
End of 73
 
6-1-08
 
~~ Kagome's P.O.V. ~~
It was a faux pas of massive proportions on my part, and while no one would ever really believe that I was the one nine hundred years ago to free him, it would make for some uncomfortable questions later. So while the murmurs about what happened circulate, I watched my son hide from them all.
 
After the narrow escape with Enti and Shippo stepping in things went smoother. Shippo's family was the next one to pass us and the knowing looks in their eyes was enough to make me smile and wave to each of them. I was unsure of all their names as of yet and all but four had their mates on their arms. Following them was Kin's children and mate who also smiled at me. It was nice to know that their were friendly faces in the crowd. At the end Kin and my mom would come as Inuyasha went back to his seat on the other side of the building.
 
The loyal houses of the West were next and they all bowed and spoke approvingly. It was easy to see that while they looked upon me with some suspicion but the fact the their were going to be finally heirs to the east and west eased their minds. Then the not so loyal houses slowly approached.
 
Being that the friendliest faces I was going to see for a while had passed the butterflies that had settled down stirred again in my stomach. I was half expecting some kind of attack, which had yet to happen and while not everyone was exactly welcoming none were trying to actively harm me tonight either. Which was all to the good in my book. I enjoyed sitting with the brothers and felt somewhat complete in knowing that my adopted son had raised a loving family and had not suffered unduly form me having to leave. While I had yet to meet them all I was happy to note that they all seemed eager to meet me. Shippo had had his hands tied in trying to keep them away tonight so that their enthusiasm wouldn't reveal my secrets.
 
Afterwards Lord Kanjinbo and his mate nodded as they passed and then my family came to sit at our table. As they sat down the music continued to play and it was a moment of respite from the crowds that would soon be flowing through. Smiling at my mom I knew that she was proud of me.
 
“What was that all about dear?” asked Odori. I was embarrassed beyond mortification when my mother asked me that. She had no idea about the true past and that was how I wanted it to stay but since this was my doing I had to try and not lie to me mother.
 
“We met before mom.” Like over nine hundred years ago. “I remind him of the woman that set him free from his self imposed prison of serving the strongest demon of all. Do you remember the story of Naraku mom?”
 
“That was an evil tale my dear I told you not to read that book!”
 
“But have you read it?”
 
“Of course I have it is a popular piece of history since the house you have now joined helped bring it down. I read the book when I was attending school but it seems more and more like a fairy tale as the years go by because demons have become much less blood thirsty and power hungry. The powers that both hanyous possessed seemed a little bit exaggerated.”
 
“What part mom? Surely you believe the power of the wind scar and the power to create from cast off flesh?”
 
“While I can not say what dark mikos and evil hearted demons can and can't do with their powers, the wind scar just seems to be bigger then life you know.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Slaying a hundred lesser demons at a time seems so wasteful of life and who could get them all together in attacks such as that in the past? We have ways to corral them now for food for stronger demons that need their food with energy but when they were all wild? No, unbelievable. Besides an attack that large would surely change the landscape if it was used a frequently as history says. And while there are places that have strange features it doesn't look like anything but what earth quakes and ice bergs could do.”
 
I giggled at her reasoning and shook my head side to side. “Mom you do realize that it wasn't the house of Takahashi that brought Naraku down but it was these two. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha were there when Naraku was defeated. The wind scar's power could be directed into the air which it was mostly because that is where the most of the demons came from. That and Naraku had an ego complex that make him float or fly everywhere he went. If anything the story wasn't written from a human's point of view because it glossed over the injuries and the length of time it took.”
 
My mom who knew I mentioned the age of them before seemed to finally grasp that they were the ones who fought and that what might seem so impossible was very possible then. Questions built inside her eyes and I knew we would have to have this discussion another time because of the ears trying to listen in. I waved her way and pointedly looked to the sides and she quickly snapped to attention and realized what I did. She nodded once and we went back to regular conversation as to who was who that was coming up next and whether they were loyal to the brothers or not.
 
Everything was going well or at least until those girls came giggling up the isle. Something told me that they would be trouble and I did not doubt them as they sent glares my way. The girl in front was of average modern height which was around five foot nine. Her hair was a very unique blend of black and purple. She had a clover on her cheek and most distracting green line on her chin that looked for all the world like a mini goatee. She was pretty in that high school popular girl way but not a knock out.
 
She and her companions glared even more strongly at me as then came almost even with our table. I knew that I won a lot of hate today for supposedly `bagging' the two biggest bachelors in Japan. Unless the women were gay or happily mated/married then all the single girls and probably a few men were mad at me. Which was unusual, since usually I made people love me. However, I was not going to let them get to me and these chicks were going down if they said one word.
 
The brother's growl got louder as they approached and while flattered I wanted to take them down. I wanted to prove that I was a top bitch and not some wench that saved herself to become a house breeder. While I was comfortable with the brothers I needed to show the people here tonight that I was an equal and not a wilting flower. So I placed a hand on their arms and whispered to let me handle it. They did not disappoint me for as soon as the front chick got close enough she covered her mouth but was still loud enough to hear.
 
“Look at the wench; she thinks she's all mighty because she has her two guard dogs.”
 
This whining bitch thought she had the right to complain about me? Now that just plain pissed me off. I may still be learning the ins and outs of youkai court life but one thing I did understand was insults.
 
“Well look it's a wench who doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut. She thinks she's all mighty because she's daddy's little girl.” I was unsure how it got so quiet so quick but the concert hall was silent and I looked around to make sure it wasn't a dream. Because, somehow, whoever controlled the microphone was able to turn it up loud like during the Enti situation and presentation for now everyone knew there was a fight going on.
 
“Are you looking for a lesson girl?”
 
“No but I believe that you are.”
 
“Oh why is that?”
 
“You're either brave, over confidant, or just plain stupid. I sit here beside two of the most power youkai in this place and you think to say they are just guard dogs. Now if I had the lack of intelligence to insult a ruling lord I would have at least made sure not to say it to their faces.” I paused for a moment before continuing. “Do you believe that you are a better choice?” She stared at me as if to say of course she was a better choice since she was a pure youkai bitch. Not some fancy smancy miko.
 
“As least I come from a respectable youkai family miko. It was by luck of birth you are here. Your kind is to be used by us and by that luck you are useful to youkai. Do not let it go to your head.”
 
“Hmm. I suppose you are right. I was born a Miko and it was by chance that the brothers choose me. And not some else long ago but the question you have to ask yourself is, if you come from said respectable family and you weren't chosen, does it means either you are weak or you didn't wait.” Again I paused for effect. “So which is it? Hmm? I, however, not only waited but am powerful to boot. Wish to try me?” she growled at me and bared her pretty little white teeth at me. Not having long dangerous canine teeth or even shark teeth make the expression stupid on a human body.
 
“You are a mortal entering a Youkai ruled world you know nothing! Are you ready to face the violence of instincts and ready to submit to those you have signed your body over too? Do you believe that you will be happy surviving such things?”
 
Confused though I was, the anxiety that I felt through the bond didn't help matters, but I kept the raising panic in check and looked confidently at the bitch. My emotions weren't so easily manipulated any more thanks to Naraku. It was obvious that the brothers had yet to discuss this so called lack of control but I trusted them and not her so I called her bluff as I sent a wave of reassurance towards the brothers.
 
“It seems other human women have survived and still serve other houses. I am sure any thing I do with the brothers will not leave me permanently scared. You are trying to shake a foundation of trust that we have in each other. I am sure any over sights will be taken care of in the privacy of our own rooms tonight. To bad you will never find out.”
 
Her spine straightened with a crisp sound and her head went higher as she looked down on me and marched off. Sound slowly came back as houses again whispered among themselves. I realized then that I was standing and took a seat. The rest of the houses seemed to fly by and whether that was by youkai increasing speed or that my min wandered I didn't know for sure. Supper was served as soon as the last house was introduced. I hoped that I wasn't required to remember all of these faces the next time I saw them. Lessons had only gotten so far.
 
~~ Sesshoumaru's P.O.V. ~~.
 
After Kagome returned to her seat, I announced for supper to be served. I listened closely to the audience for any that would offer challenge early as I watched Kagome talk to my brother and her family. Idle chit chat that calmed my blood. As I watched though Kagome only moved her food around her plate and not really eating it. Opening the link through her mark I asked, `Why are you not eating?'
 
`This food is not safe for my consumption.'
 
`What is wrong with it?' I was getting angry that someone would dare to harm my breeder at my own table.
 
`Poison I believe. What kind I am not sure but I am willing to bet nothing good.'
 
`Are you hungry? Do you wish me to get you a fresh plate?'
 
`If is was not to much trouble. You wore me out today and lunch was not as much as I would have eaten.'
 
`My apologies for not noticing earlier Kagome. It is my job to make sure you are fed and taken care of. I will send my guard for a fresh plate and to take that one to the lab for testing. If might give us a clue who did it depending on the poison.'
 
`Very well Sesshoumaru.'
 
“My breeder seems to wish to try the other main course plate. My guard will fetch her a new one and take this one back.” I took her plate and handed it to my head guard. I gave him a look and he nodded knowing what I wanted. It was going to take a little bit. I talked some more until he returned.
 
~~~Kagome's P.O.V. ~~~~
 
After my new plate arrived I tested it again with my power and nose. This one was safe so I began eating my food almost silently I let the brothers control the conversation and tried to keep it away from any questions the bitch might have sparked in my mom and grandfather. Inuyasha was regaling my mother with stories of first hand information of the American Hippie movement. Though it turned to children and then to my most embarrassing moments as a child and no matter what I did my mom continued the story.
Glaring at Inuyasha and promising pain with my eyes if he continued he just smirked and asked.
 
“So what did you do after you found Kagome filthy after her attempt to bake?”
 
“Well believe it or not the cookies were good and edible, however, sanitary I can not say. The kitchen looked like a haunted mansion with the baking powder everywhere and making it look like years of dust and then the bare footprints in it. The oven had so much caked on the insides I was surprised it was warm enough to cook the cookies. I almost had to buy a new stove. After making her clean up most of the mess I took her directly upstairs and tried to get this sticky mixture out of her hair. It was almost impossible and found only oil would bond with it and loosen it up enough to get out of her hair. I was scared to let that stuff go down the drain so I filled buckets and took it directly to the water treatment facility. They said it was a very complicated mixture to break down and charged me a heck of a lot to get it done. However, Kagome learned her lesson and never tried to cook alone again.” Laughter was heard round the table and my cheeks heated and I slid down a little in my chair. I hated being the laughingstock of a group.
 
“I can well imagine the trouble she got into and probably still attracts trouble no?” Inuyasha teased me. My fist punched his shoulder almost as hard as I could and he rubbed it but still grinned at me. My mom's eye's widened at our behavior.
 
“Don't worry mom he is all bark and no bite.”
 
Inuyasha chuckled and so did Sesshoumaru which caught me by surprise but it was a pleasant sound. It made me smile to know that he could loosen up once in a while.
 
“I think your daughter is all bite and no bark Mrs. Higurashi.” Said Sesshoumaru.
 
Crossing my arms and pouting, I was unprepared for Inuyasha to toss his arm around me and kiss my cheek.
 
“It's okay Gome we still love you.”
 
“I am not all bite and no bark! You two are just impossible. Aren't they mom? Tell them that a lady is always right when it comes to these things.”
 
“Well I would be happy to dear but you grew up a tom boy and not the lady I tried to raise you to be.” My mother smiled at me and I knew then that she wasn't on my side. Another round of laughter at me just what I always wanted. Grr..
 
After that conversation it moved on to other things and I allowed my mind to drift for a little bit. I took in that amazing sights again and couldn't believe that all this was because on me. A better history and a better world, I thought, as I giggled to myself.
 
After supper the cardinal Lords came over and my family left. I hugged my mom and ruffled Souta's hair. My grandfather gave me a stiff bow and I could see the pride he had for me in his eyes. It was nice to have him still here mentally and not creating crazy excuses like before. It was a good feeling to know that though he forgot what I had done that he was still proud of my choices today.
 
“My fellow lords you heard the words spoken tonight do you have any objections to our choice in a breeder?” Sesshoumaru asked.
 
“I have no problems Lord Sesshoumaru. I approve whole heartedly.” Said the northern Lord Enti.
 
“And you Lord Kanjinbo?”
 
“While tonight has been different then what we have come to expect I can not say that your breeder has not proven herself thus far. So I will give my approval for you to take Breeder Higuarshi as yours.”
 
“So mote it be. My gratitude for agreeing with my brother and I. Now we shall mingle with the rest of those present until it is time to leave.” We all bowed to each other and left our table to roam about. As far as I knew we had no set path though we avoided the areas Inuyasha pointed out on my last visit and talked quietly with quite a few people.
 
The night ended on a better note then the day began and before I knew it, it was time to leave. Yawning quickly behind my hand I nodded at the last group of people as we headed to the sidewalk. Inuyasha called a chair and we sat together going back our new home. I was curled up between the brothers with my head on Inuyasha's shoulder.
 
“So did I do well tonight guys?”
 
“Yeah Gome you did.” Inuyasha said teasingly.
 
“Good. After all the work you guys put into this and the Work Mrs. Dunn did I am glad it turned out well.”
 
“Rest Kagome we will carry you up if we have to. Do you want to be awoken once we get home?”
 
“Hmm. Are we meeting Shippo's family tomorrow?”
 
“No the day after that. A few of the last kits had to make a other arrangements to attend. So it was postponed.” said Sesshoumaru.
 
“Then I would like to be yes.” As I dosed off.