InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Case of Double Personality ❯ Repaying the Debt ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Chapter XIII: Repaying the Debt
 
 
“Bankotsu-no-oo-aniki! What's wrong with you?” Jakotsu asked in a worried tone, putting one knee on the ground in front of his leader.
 
 
For a few days now, after the Inuyasha incident to be precise, Bankotsu was acting weird.
 
 
He seemed to have lost interest in the world around him and spent his time gazing absently into the forest or staring at his Banryuu. That was nothing like him, Jakotsu thought, waiting for his answer.
 
 
“Did you say something, Jakotsu?” Bankotsu asked, giving his comrade a tired glance.
 
 
“You're acting weird! Is it because that woman managed to escape? Don't worry about it, she's probably dead by now!” Jakotsu spoke, trying to encourage him.
 
 
He was so thick sometimes it was almost funny, Bankotsu thought, sighing deeply. He didn't know it himself, the reason he cared so much for that woman's fate. He only wanted to know what happened to her.
 
 
“I don't have the certitude of her death...That's what's bothering me.” He thought, not bothering to sustain the conversation with Jakotsu. If only he would know for sure that she had died, he would get over it. She was just a woman anyway and there were many fishes in the pond, so to say. Not that he had seen another woman with such spine...
 
 
Bankotsu sighed again, trying to figure out a solution. Of course, thinking was never his strong point, usually Renkotsu did all the thinking, but he didn't trust that conniving snake enough to tell him his problem. Moreover, he was nearly killed by Kouga...Falling in front of such a pathetic opponent...The wolf had even poorer fighting skills than Inuyasha. If it wasn't for those Shikon shards in his legs, he would be dead right now.
 
 
“But hey,” Bankotsu thought “I'm kept alive by the damn thing as well so I shouldn't be talking.”
 
 
Right now, he didn't even care that Renkotsu was keeping more Shikon shards than he should have. The rule was clear: the shards of the comrades that were killed in battle are to be handed over to the leader. Ginkotsu's shard however had “disappeared without a trace”. Riiight...
 
 
Well, getting back to the more important matter...How to find out if she was still alive or not? Naraku didn't send anymore instructions...just the usual, kill Inuyasha and Kouga. He didn't even mention Sesshoumaru...
 
 
“Oo-aniki!” Came Renkotsu's voice “What are we to do now?”
 
 
“You seem to have healed quite fast, Renkotsu. To think one Shikon shard has such power...” Bankotsu replied, thoughtfully.
 
 
For a moment, fear was written all over Renkotsu's face, but he quickly regained his normal expression and gave his leader a smile:
 

”Yes, the power of the Shikon is amazing.”
 
 
Bankotsu's dark blue gaze pierced through him and Renkotsu held his breath, tightening all his muscles so he wouldn't start shivering. And it seemed to have worked as his leader's gaze reverted to the forest in front of them and he gave yet another sigh.
 
 
“Bankotsu-no-oo-aniki! I can see you're bored! Why don't we pay Inuyasha a visit?” Jakotsu tried, little sparks glowing in his eyes.
 
 
“Hmph, Inuyasha.” Bankotsu thought. “That's all he thinks about...”
 
 
“Wait a minute...” he continued in his mind as something lit up. “Maybe the half-mutt knows where his brother's at...”
 
 
“Jakotsu,” he answered with a smile “I think that's a good idea.”
 
 
“Really?” Jakotsu said, happiness written all over his face.
 
 
“Sure! Except you're not coming.”
 
 
“Whaaaaat?” Jakotsu couldn't believe his ears.
 
 
“You'll go with Renkotsu. Seems he can't take on Kouga alone.” Bankotsu replied cynically.
 
 
Renkotsu knitted his brows, but remained silent, bowing his head in acceptance.
 
 
“But Bankotsu-no-oo-aniki, that's not fair...” Jakotsu made one last protest.
 
 
“Jakotsu...You'll get your chance.” he replied, turning away from them.
 
 
“Then you won't kill him?” Jakotsu asked hopefully.
 
 
“Nah, I'll just play with him a little...to relieve my boredom...” The leader of the Shichinintai answered.
 
 
“I don't think Naraku would like that. He wants the hanyou dead as soon as possible.” Renkotsu intervened.
 
 
“Screw him! Last time I looked, Bankotsu was leader of Shichinintai, not Naraku! Who's orders will you follow?” Bankotsu asked, narrowing his eyes as his fist tightened around his Banryuu.
 
 
“Yours, of course, oo-aniki.” Renkotsu replied, lowering his gaze.
 
 
“I don't see any Saimyoushou flying around. Naraku doesn't need to know about this. Are we clear?” Bankotsu spoke in a high tone.
 
 
“Yes, Bankotsu-no-oo-aniki.” Renkotsu and Jakotsu both answered at the same time.
 
 
“Good.” he said, walking away from them.
 
 
 
ooooOOoooo
 
When Midoriko opened her eyes, she found herself in the now familiar surrounding of the “harmony room” as she liked to call it. She wandered through Kumiko's memories, stopping at the part with the pavilion. A cinnamon scent...and something else...a touch of myrrh and galangal...The mix resulted in an exotic and spicy aroma. However, it would be a tad strong for the nose of a demon, especially a dog demon...From her vast knowledge of demon society, she had always thought they disliked incense. It was mostly used by humans...
 
 
That demon, Menoumaru said something about a concubine that Sesshoumaru's father had. Aside from the official mate, correspondent of the wife in human society, demons could also take other mates, known as concubines. Although treated with deep respect, they had no official rank or position and as for their offspring...if they were to have any future rank, that was for the father to decide.
 
 
Her thoughts got distracted by noises from the outside.
 
 
“What's all that commotion?” she thought, getting up and grabbing her bow.
 
 
She felt youki, lots of youki, which was completely normal, given the fact that the castle was full of demons, but she also felt bloodlust in that youki so she rushed down the long corridor, finding it too empty for this time of day and ran outside.
 
 
The sight she laid eyes on was terrifying: youkai fighting against youkai, torn limbs and blood everywhere.
 
 
“You shouldn't be here!”she heard a loud voice, as a strong hand grabbed her arm and pulled her away.
 
 
She turned to see Menoumaru, holding her with one hand, while the claws of his other one cut through a snake-like youkai.
 
 
“What's happening?” she asked, taking in the scene calmly.
 
 
“This throng of demons came from nowhere and attacked the castle. They must have known Lord Sesshoumaru isn't here, or they wouldn't have dared.” he explained, pushing her behind him as quickly unsheathed his sword.
 
 
“Let go of me.” she said sharply, breaking out of his grip.
 
 
Midoriko readied her bow as she studied the situation. None of the youkai had made it inside the castle, although they were trying with all their strength, they were kept in the inner courtyard.
 
 
She took out an arrow and aimed it at the biggest one she could see. Seven guards were fighting to bring it down and apparently losing. The ugly beast was huge and powerful, using the spikes on his fists to smash the defending warriors.
 
 
“All of you, get away from there!” she shouted, warning the youkai guards.
 
 
The beast turned its red eyes to the girl and growled fiercely as the guards remained unsure of what to do.
 
 
The Miko narrowed her eyes and purple light filled the arrow as she released it. It cut its way through every youkai until reaching its target and burst into a wave a light. The guards managed to jump aside as the beast dissolved, but burning sparks of purifying energy managed to injure some of them.
 
 
“A Miko?” Menoumaru thought, looking at her with astonishment.
 
 
The other youkai seemed taken aback by their leader's sudden death and some of them retreated, leaving the others to perform one more pitiful attack.
 
 
“This is my chance to pay the debt I owe Sesshoumaru.” The Miko thought.
 
 
“Give me your sword, this is getting boring.” Midoriko addressed Menoumaru.
 
 
“And tell your men to gather to the left.” she added as he gave her the sword.
 
 
Menoumaru complied and suddenly two groups formed. On the right the attacking demons cast puzzled glances as the guards all retread to the left side.
 
 
“What are you waiting for?” Midoriko spoke loudly. “Come and get me.”
 
 
“This woman thinks she can take us all!” A youkai with humanoid shape said, narrowing his goggled eyes.
 
 
“Kill her!” The others yelled, rushing towards the Miko, hate gleaming in their eyes.
 
 
“This looks familiar...” she thought, placing the sword in a horizontal position.
 
 
Welcome to my life...
 
 
Menoumaru took a step forward, claws at the ready as he gave the girl a determined look.
 
 
“What are you doing? Get back!” she shouted, stepping in front of him as the sword glowed purple and then released a wave of purifying energy that swallowed every demon to her right and in front of her. Roars and cries of pain could be heard clearly as the mass of demons dissolved in the wave of holy energy.
 
 
The guards that were standing to the left finally began to breathe again and some of them sighed with relief, casting the Miko astonished glances.
 
 
“Good, it worked.” she thought, sighing with relief herself. She was afraid that this sword might not be able to channel her energy as good as her own. In that case, two things could have happened:
 
 
One: The sword could have blown to pieces and she would probably be dead.
 
 
Two: The purifying energy could have erupted in every direction, killing both friend and foe, in which case she would have survived, but everyone else would have been dead.
 
 
She sighed again, returning Menoumaru his sword. The demon looked at the sword in her hand with awed eyes and then reached for it cautiously.
 
 
“Don't worry, it's empty.” she informed him in an amused tone.
 
 
Menoumaru sheathed his sword and finally broke out of the initial shock:
 
 
“That was...amazing, to say the least.” he spoke.
 
 
“Thank you.” she replied with a smile.
 
 
“I understand now why Lord Sesshoumaru would want you as an ally. He has made a wise decision.” Menoumaru said.
 
 
“Speaking of Sesshoumaru, why is he not here, defending his castle?” Midoriko asked.
 
 
“My Lord had urgent matters to attend to. He is dealing with a riot on his domain.” Menoumaru explained.
 
 
“It seems to me there was a riot right here.” she answered, looking the demon in the eyes.
 
 
“These demons were not of the Western Lands. I do not know why they attacked us.” he replied.
 
 
“That's strange...” Midoriko thought. “Oh well, what's done is done.”
 
 
“So, what's for breakfast? I'm starving.” she said, changing to a more pleasant subject.
 
 
“Come. We will celebrate with a feast.” Menoumaru answered with a smile.
 
 
The other youkai were still looking at both of them with saucer-sized eyes.
 
 
“Return to your posts!” Menoumaru ordered in a high tone, knitting his brows.
 
 
Hearing his voice, they all woke up from their reverie and headed to their posts, casting the Miko fearful glances.
 
 
Menoumaru guided Midoriko to a huge and luxurious dining room. More than twenty chairs were settled around a table made of the finest wood. It seemed to empty...
 
 
“Will it be just the two of us?” she asked, looking around.
 
 
“No, Rin will join us soon.” he answered, as they both sat down.
 
 
“Rin! Of course, she's here too...It will be so good to see a human for a change.” she thought aloud.
 
 
“I don't mean to offend you.” she added, seeing as he was suddenly looking elsewhere.
 
 
“Of course. I understand.” he replied, his purple eyes meeting hers.
 
 
“Miko-sama!” Came Rin's cheerful voice as the little girl ran towards Midoriko.
 
 
“Rin! Have you been a good girl?” she asked, stroking the little girl's hair.
 
 
“Yup! Rin wanted to see you sooner, but Sesshoumaru-sama said that you had to rest because you were sick. Are you all better now?” The little girl asked in a worried tone.
 
 
“Yes, Rin. All better. Sit down next to me.” The Miko answered, raising the little girl and putting her on the chair next to hers.
 
 
In that moment, the door opened and servants carrying trays of food started pouring in.
 
 
“Who's going to eat all of this?” she wondered aloud, when the tenth plate was brought in.
 
 
“Rin is!” The little girl exclaimed, grabbing one of the plates.
 
 
“I doubt it...” she thought, looking at the little girl with a smile.
 
 
Still, she seemed determined to do it as she grabbed a pair of chopsticks and started to eat quickly. So quickly, that a second later one of the chopsticks fell from her hand and Midoriko picked it up, smiling indulgently.
 
 
When she handed it to Rin, their hands touched and in that moment she felt a surge of energy like nothing she had ever experienced before. A connection made out of purple light appeared between their hands and lasted for no more than a second. With the light gone, Rin took her chopstick and resumed eating, as if nothing had happened.
 
 
Menoumaru was eating quietly as well...Did they not sense it?
 
 
“Do you not like your food?” The demon wanted to know, not understanding why she was so pale.
 
 
“No, it's...The food is great.” she replied, taking a bite.
 
 
They did not sense it...That energy that flows inside of Rin...She needs training and quickly, Midoriko thought, eating absently.
 
 
It was an unusual power she had felt inside the little girl. The life that awaited her would not be easy.
 
 
A/N:
I'm back people! :)