InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Child ❯ Animals ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"A Child" by Jezunya

Standard disclaimers apply.. blah blah blah…

Some notes (which, I know, probably should've been at the end of ch 1. Bite me.): puppies are born with their ears and eyes still forming, so they don't really see or hear at all for about the first 15 days after birth, pretty much navigating on scent and feel. Inuyasha's half dog-demon, but he looks mostly human, so I thought some more dog-like characteristics would sorta help balance that out. Also, gomen, about his nose - in the manga it's drawn as a little black triangle, like he actually does have a doggy nose. (Forgot that the lazy-bums didn't put that in the anime) And, since I am a worshiper of the manga, not the anime, he shall have a doggy nose! ;P

Anyway, here's another chapter…

** ** ** ** **

The lady sighed and shook her head, only just discovering that Inuyasha had finally managed to slip away without being caught. He certainly was a handful for a boy his age and size. She bent to pick up a discarded kimono from the floor of their bedroom, sighing again. They couldn't even find a maid willing to clean for them, much less a nurse for her son. She shook her head in anger and sadness, folding the kimono around her pale, slim hands.

They feared him. Him, a small boy still learning to write his characters. It was ridiculous, but it happened just the same. People could be so… She hated to use such a common word, but 'stupid' was really the only one that fit. They had lived here for several years now and her son was nothing but a gentle, curious child, if a bit blunt and tactless in his innocence.

She smiled sadly and sighed once more. At least her father was kind to them, especially after they had learned of her husband's death. He had been sympathetic, even understanding that there was neither a possible nor safe way for them to return to her husband's kingdom, and so allowed them to live on here, in his own castle.

She could feel a small seed of hope beginning to sprout in her heart. If Inuyasha were allowed to set aside his lessons and roam the castle for at least part of the day, like any other child, and especially with her father's encouragement, surely the people would soon see that he was no 'evil demon'…

***

A castle was quite a place to live, especially for a four-year-old. He sniffed along the walls and floor of the stone corridor, almost dizzy with all the new scents. So many people! He could smell the maids who brought them their meals, the guards who patrolled the halls everyday, along with many, many more.

He looked down the deserted corridor, wide gold eyes blinking curiously. A soft breeze brushed his face, ruffling his silvery hair and making his ears lie back with the tickling sensation. Gasping excitedly, he took off down the hall on all fours, following the wind and the scents it carried. It smelled like trees, and grass, and… and… and outside! Sure enough, he rounded one last corner and came upon a wall of rice-paper panels. He wedged his little fingers around one panel and shoved it aside, gasping in awe at the sight that greeted him.

It was a large room, bordered with a wide verandah and shoji walls all around it, and without a floor or ceiling. Instead, a small staircase led down from the verandah to a dirt path that wound through the grass covering the ground, splitting in a few places to go around the large willow tree and pond near the middle of the room, and finally made its way back to a similar set of stairs at the other end, once again leading up to the verandah.

He ran out onto the wooden walkway and stumbled down the stairs to the ground. Who knew outside could be right in the middle of the castle? He took the rest of the afternoon exploring the outside-room, from tromping through the soft grass, to staring up at the huge willow tree in awe, to trying to catch the tiny water-skimmers swimming on the surface of the pond. After a while, he just sat back to watch the little bugs dancing on the water, his ears flickering around, picking up the sounds of birds twittering in the tree branches overhead, the wind sighing through the grass, a small insect moving about…

He looked up, blinking a few times as his ear perked forward in bemusement. There was something in the grass across the pond from him, rustling a little as it moved around. He rose to his hands and knees, watching the spot where it had moved last. Suddenly, something small and bright green leapt out of the grass, flitting to land again a few feet away. Inuyasha's breath caught and his eyes widened a little. Crouching with youthful clumsiness, he began to stalk his prey…

***

"Mama! Mama, look!" Inuyasha yelled at the top of his lungs, racing down the corridor back to their rooms as fast as his sturdy little legs could carry him, his chubby clawed hands held out in front of him, cupped around something in his palm. He ducked around the last corner, nearly running into the maid bringing their dinner, who screeched and demanded how the hell he got out. He ignored her and shouldered the shoji door open, running in to show Mama his prize.

"Mama Mama Mama!!" he ran up to her, yelling, and shoved his cupped hands out to her. "Look, Mama!"

"Not so loud, Inu-chan," she said, smiling as she set down her paintbrush to lay a reproachful hand on his head. "Now, what is it you wish to show me?" she asked, smiling down at his closed hands.

"I caught it, Mama! Look!" he said proudly, once again shoving his little hands out to her. He opened his hands, and a small green grasshopper immediately leapt out and onto the floor.

Mother gasped in surprise and Inuyasha scrambled to scoop up the insect again. "Where did you get that?" she asked, one hand pressed over her heart.

"I caught it," he repeated, turning back to her with his hands help to his chest defensively, once again cupped around the grasshopper. "In the outside room, with the grass and the tree and the pond…"

Mama looked confused for a moment, then smiled and sighed, rising to her feet. She bent down and lifted him up, carrying him on her hip as she exited the room.

"Mama?" Inuyasha questioned, his large young eyes looking slightly worriedly up at her.

"We're going back to the garden," she said, smiling as they made their way out into the corridor, pausing only long enough to tell the maid to leave their dinner by the firepit in the main room.

"What's a garden?" Inuyasha asked once she had started walking again.

"A garden is a place where plants grow, like what you told me about," she replied, smiling down at him.

"The outside room?"

Mama was about to correct him and tell him that it wasn't really a room, but instead just nodded, smiling delightedly at his childish wonder. "Yes, the 'outside room.' It's called a garden."

They came to the wall of shoji again, and Mama had to shift him around so that she could use one hand to push aside the panel leading out onto the verandah. She stopped at the top of the stairs and set him down, then knelt down beside him so she was at his eye-level. "Animals like grasshoppers belong outside," she said softly, holding his smaller hands between her own.

Inuyasha looked at her questioningly, his gold eyes wide. "Grasshoppers?"

"Hai," she nodded, smiling at him. "You caught a grasshopper. They live here in the castle garden because there are plenty of flowers and grass for them here."

His mouth made a little 'o' as she gently parted his hands, letting the grasshopper jump out and onto the ground. He watched it, a little crestfallen. "You let it go…"

Mama nodded again, standing and taking his tiny hand in hers, leading him back into the castle. "It's alright to catch things, as long as you don't hurt them and you let them go afterward."

He watched the ground thoughtfully, before looking back up at her. "You have to let them go every time?" he asked, sounding slightly dismayed.

She couldn't help smiling at his wheedling, but answered seriously, "Yes, every time, unless you're going to eat it or if the animal would hurt you if you set it loose."

He looked away again, pondering that bit of wisdom seriously, before nodding firmly, deciding that that made sense. After all, Mama had said it, so of course it was right. "Mama?" he asked again, looking up at her as they neared their rooms.

"Hai?"

"Can I go back to the garden again tomorrow?"

She smiled warmly. "Of course, Inu-chan. In fact," she said, pushing the shoji open to step inside, "I shouldn't be surprised if there are other children playing there as well."

"Really?" Inuyasha asked, sounding awed and excited, following her like a good little pup even after she let go of his hand. Mama nodded and beckoned him over to where the maid had set their meal in the center of the room.

"Perhaps if you go earlier tomorrow they will be there," she told him, lifting her own chopsticks and then reaching over to help him with his. "Now eat up. The sooner you get to bed, the sooner you will be able to play tomorrow."

***

'Tomorrow' couldn't have come quickly enough, at least in little Inuyasha's mind. He was up and rearing to go by the time the sun had risen. Mama had to physically hold him back as he kept trying to dart out the door and to the garden even before he had finished dressing.

"Mamaaaa!" he whined, jumping from foot to foot impatiently as she straightened his kimono and tied the sash around his middle. "I wanna go plaaaaaayyy!"

"Not yet, Inu-chan," she said calmly, managing to get all his clothes on him despite his wiggling. "We still need to eat breakfast, and you need to complete your lessons for the day." She stood once she was done with his sash, patting him on the head as she moved away.

"Don't wanna!" He folded his arms across his chest, looking furiously down at the floor.

His mother looked back at him. "Inuyasha," she said, the faintest hint of stern steel entering her voice. Inuyasha cringed and peeked up at her through his bangs. He knew that voice. "You will complete your lessons, and you will not be allowed to play until they are complete. Do you understand?" He went back to scowling at the floor when that hated question made its way into the conversation. "Inuyasha, do you understand me?" Mama's voice was firmer now, almost sharp. With a sigh, he gave in.

"Yes, Mother.."

The tiniest hint of a smile tilted the edges of Mother's mouth as she turned and led the way into their study, her voice softening. "Good. Now come along…"

***

It wasn't until after midday that Inuyasha had finished all of his reading, writing, and mathematics lessons for the day. With a loud shout of glee he shot out of their rooms before Mother could even finish saying he was done for the day. She just smiled long-sufferingly and shook her head.

He made it to the garden in record time, having already memorized it from the day before. (Mama did say he was a fast learner, after all.) Unfortunately, the garden was deserted when he got there, with no more company than the wind blowing through the grass.

The huge smile on his face immediately wilted. Where were all the other children? He went to sit at the base of the willow tree to wait…

***

"Eew, what is it?"

"I know, it's that demon Lady Yubi's been keeping! I heard some of the maids talking about it.."

"No way. It's way too small to be a demon."

"Man, check out these ears. It's like some kinda dog-thing.."

Inuyasha snapped fully awake at the violent tugging on his ear, yelping and clapping his hands over it in pain. The boys all jumped away, yelling in fear at his sudden movement.

Inuyasha could only stare up at them. They were all at least twice his size, looming over him like giants. The boys stared back, most looking scared and wary, until one boy pushed through the crowd to stand right in front of him.

He wasn't the biggest boy there, but Inuyasha had to admit he did look smarter, but that may have been because of his nice clean clothes and unmarked face. The boy put his hands on his hips and sneered. "So you're Aunt Yubi's little demon bastard."

Inuyasha blinked. He didn't know what a bastard was, but the word 'demon' sounded familiar. So he nodded.

The boys all roared with laughter and the smart-looking boy's sneer turned into a full blown smirk. "I'm Kinichi, and I'm in charge here, got it?"

Inuyasha nodded again and hurriedly got to his feet. "My name's Inuyasha," he said, smiling widely.

Kinichi's face suddenly turned into a dark scowl. "Did I ask you what your name was, bastard?!" he demanded, taking a threatening step toward the smaller boy and balling up one fist.

"Uh, um, sorry!" he cried, taking a frightened step back against the tree, staring wide-eyed up at the larger boy.

Kinichi snorted derisively and straightened back up. "Well, at least you know your place.." he muttered, still glaring.

The boys all spread out, wrestling or playing little games with their hands or in the dirt. Inuyasha moved among them, watching over their shoulders until he would get a fierce glare and slink off, ears drooping sadly. The only one who seemed willing to pay him any attention was Kinichi, and he just sat, aloof from the rest, watching him closely. He didn't even look away when Inuyasha looked back at him, just frowned and started to get to his feet.

"Let's go swimming," Kinichi said loudly, dusting off his robes. The boys all stopped their games to look over at him, then quickly agreed. They all began throwing off their robes and tunics, stripping down to their fundoshi and running to jump into the fish pond. Visibly perking up, Inuyasha hurried to join them.

"Not you," one boy snarled, pushing him hard when he neared the pond. Several other boys joined in, laughing and throwing dirt at him. It was Kinichi, though, who stopped them.

"Hey, come on guys, he can get in the water," their leader sneered, watching him closely. "In fact, I'm kinda hungry. Why don't you go catch me a fish, bastard?"

Inuyasha slowly stood and looked between Kinichi and the pond uncertainly. He'd swam in the bath with Mama before, but never anything like this.. And he didn't know a thing about catching fish. But Kinichi was in charge - he even bossed the bigger boys around - so he couldn't really say no to him..

He swallowed hard. "Um.. okay…"

"Good!" The large boys behind him gave him a hard shove and sent him sailing headfirst straight into the pond.

Luckily, the water was a lot deeper than it looked, so he didn't hit his head when he went in, but it also meant he couldn't touch the bottom, so when he came back up he was spluttering and gasping for air. "Well?! What are you waiting for, go get a fish!" he heard Kinichi say (he couldn't see him because of the water in his eyes) just before someone gave him a push that sent him right back into the water.

He was at least able to get his bearings this time, and he opened his eyes only to see all of the fish quickly swimming away from him. He resurfaced. "Th-they're all swimming away," he called back to Kinichi, whose face immediately darkened.

"So go after them!" he snarled, glaring fiercely. Inuyasha nodded and began to dog-paddle in the direction that the fish had gone, trying to keep his head clear of the water so he could breathe. "What are you doing?!" Kinichi demanded. "Get out of there!" Inuyasha looked back toward the cluster of fish at the other end of the pond, then slowly turned to paddle back to where Kinichi and the other boys waited.

"Jeez, you're too stupid to even go after a fish! No wonder Aunt Yubi kept you locked away for so long," Kinichi seethed, glaring down at him.

Inuyasha hunched his shoulders a bit, staring down at his feet, his ears drooping. "M.. Mama says I'm a good learner…"

Kinichi swung around, snarling. "Then learn this, shit-head," he yelled, poking a finger hard in his chest. "You do what I say, when I say, and I don't want to hear you whining about what your stupid mother says!"

Inuyasha stumbled back. "O.. Okay," he said, nodding slightly. Kinichi snorted and turned away, while some of the other boys continued to watch him.

"Hey, even if he's too stupid to get a fish, maybe he can get a stick, right?" someone finally said. The boys all laughed and one boy picked up a stick from around the willow tree and began poking it at him, jeering. "Come on, doggy, get the stick! Get the stick doggy!" The boys laughed and began mimicking the first boy, until he threw the stick out into the grass. "Go on! Fetch!"

Inuyasha could only stare around in confusion at all the boys laughing and yelling at him, until someone pushed him from behind, sending him onto his hands and knees, yelling, "Go! Go get the stick!" He got back to his feet, looked around, and then started to jog out to where they had thrown the stick. Picking it up, he turned and brought it back, looking up at the larger boys questioningly. They just laughed and tossed the stick again, once more making him run out and retrieve it.

They kept throwing it out and making him bring it back, until finally several boys stopped and looked over toward the verandah. They groaned. "Ah, man! Our mother's calling us for dinner already!" the oldest of them said, and three boys broke away from the rest to run back into the castle. Several others had to leave with the same excuse.

Finally, Kinichi and the all that were left of the large group of boys began to head back into the castle for dinner, having lost interest in their game of fetch. Inuyasha looked down at the stick at his feet and then turned to trot after Kinichi and the others. Kinichi noticed him with a glance over his shoulder, and turned around to glower down at him.

"And just where do you think you're going?" Kinichi sneered, stopping the younger boy with a hand on his chest.

Inuyasha looked up at him, a little afraid, and said hesitantly, "Um, inside?"

Kinichi scoffed and pushed him back, making him fall backwards down the stairs to the ground. After a rolling a foot or two, Inuyasha managed to sit up and look fearfully up at the older boys standing on the verandah, small tears forming in his large golden eyes.

Kinichi folded his arms, smirking down at him. "Didn't anybody ever tell you? Animals belong outside." Inuyasha's eyes widened, remembering his mother's words the day before. Kinichi looked smug and triumphant, "So you stay out here, dog." With that, he turned and led his troop, laughing, back into the castle.

Inuyasha sat for a long time, staring down at the dirt path below him. Then, slowly, he got up and made his way over to curl up in the roots of the willow tree, wondering why Mama hadn't ever told him he was an animal.

** ** ** ** **

Aww.. I feel so bad for the little guy. I ate so much chocolate while I was writing this.. otherwise I probably would've gotten really depressed o.O Anyway, a big thanks to my reviewers! You guys are so great! ^_^ I was pretty unsure of how this fic would be received, so it's wonderful to get so many good comments. ^_^

-chan - name suffix that shows endearment

fundoshi - loincloth-like undergarments (medieval unda pants ^^; )

hai - yes

kimono - traditional Japanese robe

shoji - rice-paper wall panel that slide back and forth and so are used as walls and as doors ^_^

Some replies to the reviewers:

Phillip: Yes, his mom and dad were married, but they're getting so much bias simply because his father was a demon. You can think of it like, back before the Civil Rights movement here in the US, if a white woman had married a black man. That wouldn't have been very well received, now would it?

Giggles: I'm a little reluctant to give anything like that away, but I guess it is safe to say that No, Sesshoumaru does not live with them. Inuyasha and his mother live in a strictly human castle (except Inu himself, of course ^_^)

Maria: I'm still debating whether Myouga-jiji should be in this or not. If he is, it probably won't be for a while, like near the end of the story.. ^_^;

Several of you asked how far I'm going to take this story. At this point, I'd say at least another 6-10 years into Inuyasha's life. Maybe even more after that. ^_^

And to all the rest of you: Thank you so much for the great reviews!! It really does mean a lot to me that you guys all like this! ^_^ ..and, uh, sorry for making you cry!! O_o;

Thanks for reading! Review please!!