InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ This is My Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own Inuyasha! I own Inuyasha! See? *holds up a Inu plush* I own Inuyasha! …Whoa! I do not own Inuyasha! Sorry, but I can tell you if I owned Inuyasha, Kikyou would be lo-o-ong cold in her grave. (Sorry for all those Kikyou fans, but it's the truth!) Now, on with the story! *cuddles Inu plush and starts to type*
 
Note: Everyone is in their regular form (hanyou, youkai, miko, taijiya, monk, etc, etc.) but Miro-kun has no kazaana!
 
 
AGE:
Inuyasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
 
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter One: This is my Life
-
 
-
 
Prison: that's what this place is called; an insane asylum center; a home for those weirdoes - the crazies.
 
He wasn't crazy.
 
People might have said he was, but that only showed how much they knew about anything.
 
He really couldn't blame people for assuming he had lost his mind. No one knew what happened to him those few months ago - nor would they ever, if he had a say in the matter, which he always would.
 
The simple answer to the question that he was always asked being that it wasn't their business, and it would never be. The question? It was more like a series of questions.
 
What happened to you?
 
Nothing.
 
Why are you so distant, then?
 
I'm not!
 
Why are you being so cold and indifferent if you're not being distant?
  
The barrage of unending questions just wouldn't stop.
 
The silver-haired boy looked out the thick, barred window, chin resting on palm in what could be considered a thoughtful way.
 
He could see that the sun was pretty high up. It was probably nine or something. Soon those buffoons would come and try to `help' him.
 
`Keh!' his mind bitterly muttered. If he wanted `help,' wouldn't he have just come out and told them so?
 
`Don't answer that,' he told himself. Of course he would have rather sold an arm and a leg before asking for help. Scratch that; he would have most likely killed himself or sold his soul before asking for help.
 
The boy sighed. Trying to find something to entertain himself until his morning meal came, he examined his claws as the sun's morning rays glinted off them.
 
A sound reverberated in the halls, catching his attention. His ears twitched. Someone was coming. `Who?'
 
He sniffed.
 
`Oh.' It was just Miroku, his personal nurse - or, as the nurses were commonly labeled by some patients, his `baby-sitter.'
 
There was a clinking of shuffling keys before Inuyasha heard a `click' and the metal door slowly creaked open.
 
“Good morning, Inuyasha! How was your night? Sleep well?”
 
How can he - or anyone, for that matter - be so cheerful at such a gloomy place so early in the morning?
 
The hanyou rolled his eyes. “It was fine, Miroku.” The answer held no emotions. It was gruffly said; half-heartedly.
 
“Oh.” The dark-haired boy deflated for a few seconds, due to the disappointment of the gloomy answer, before he puffed back up like a balloon filled with air. “That's good. And guess what?”
 
The hanyou made no move to reply.
 
“This morning is pancakes! We apparently have a new chef who would like everyone to have a better breakfast then warm cereal!” The boy chuckled at his attempt at a joke.
 
Inuyasha's gaze flicked toward the tray in Miroku's hands and he felt like snapping at Miroku that he wasn't quite yet blind, but decided against it. When he remained unmoved there was an awkward silence.
 
Miroku cleared his throat.
 
“So, do you wish to go to the cafeteria and eat or stay here?”
 
“Cafeteria,” came the nonchalant reply. `Where do I always choose?' he mentally snapped to Miroku.
 
Anything to get out of the small, cramped cell - it was a cage. Hanyous and cages did not mix.
 
He was supposed to be home with what the public considered his family. They weren't much - a mother, Izayoi, a father, InuTaisho, a half-brother - huge emphasis on the half - Sesshoumaru, and his almost-sister-in-law, Rin.
 
His mother was a model. His father was an actor. His brother was an author. Rin was just a sweet girl who fell in love with that annoying excuse of a youkai, Sesshoumaru.
 
“Okay. Come on, we'll go together,” Miroku said cheerfully.
 
“Keh! Like I could walk down there by myself!” the hanyou snapped in an irritated fashion.
 
Miroku totally ignored his comment and gestured with a small toss of his head - since his hands were full with Inuyasha's breakfast - that he should follow.
 
With a final roll of his bright amber eyes and an irritated sigh, Inuyasha complied.
 
There was a five second pause as Miroku slammed the cell door shut before they both headed down the cement hall.
 
Miroku, being so optimistic, decided to start a conversation. “So, how've you been?”
 
What a stupid question; Miroku was Inuyasha personal `baby-sitter' and they saw each other all the hours of each day, every day.
 
“You should know!”
 
“So I take it you're all right?” the monk continued, pretending the hanyou answered with a “Yeah, it's been fine!” or “Few bumps here or there, but mostly okay.”
 
Inuyasha ground his teeth in frustration, deciding to just go along with it, rather then receive a headache from arguing. “Yes,” he gritted through clenched teeth.
 
Miroku nodded. “I hear we're receiving a new nurse. They say she's a damn sexy one, too.”
 
“You're a hentai,” Inuyasha ground out in absolute irritation.
 
Miroku chuckled nervously. “Yeah, but it's the way I was born. It came through the bloodlines.”
 
“. . . Right.”
 
“You know, Inuyasha, this could be your chance.”
 
“Chance at what?” Inuyasha demanded in a no-nonsense voice. The monk was so tiring.
 
“Love.” Miroku slid his ID card through the door that separated the hall from the cafeteria before opening it for himself and the patient.
 
The hanyou snorted. “Yeah, right! I'm going to fall for an over-aged hag- - -”
 
“I'm serious,” Miroku interrupted. “She's your age.”
 
Inuyasha was taken slightly aback but made sure to cover that. “Then she must have just graduated from college. Early, too,” he commented a little dryly, an edge of boredom etched in his tone.
 
“She's one of dem smart people.” Miroku smiled and looked over his shoulder, expecting the hanyou to be laughing at the joke.
 
Inuyasha shrugged, giving the monk a look. “Not interested, and stop trying to be funny, it only hurts us both.”
 
Since they arrived at the dining area, the patient snatched his food from the monk and walked briskly away before Miroku could question him any further.
 
He found a table and sat down next to his what-he-could-consider-friends, Naraku and Kouga.
 
“Didja hear about the new nurse yet?” Koga drilled the second the silver-haired teen sat down.
 
He sighed.
 
It was going to be a long day.
 
“Yeah! I heard about her. Did you, Inu?” Naraku seemed to enjoy tormenting the hanyou like this.
 
He shrugged in nonchalance. “Don't really care.”
 
Naraku and Kouga's eyes appeared to bug out some.
 
“You can't be serious!” they both chorused.
 
“Dead,” was all Inuyasha said in reply, wrinkling his nose as the `delicious' pancakes and pushing his tray away in slight disgust.
 
“Well, she's- - -” Naraku started.
 
“I wanna tell him!” Kouga whined.
 
Naraku rolled his eyes. “Fine, be my guest.”
 
“She's pretty! She's got raven hair and stormy blue-grey eyes, slender legs, perfectly tanned skin, and all the right things in all the right places.”
 
“And how do you know all this?” Inuyasha's eyebrow rose in an arch.
 
“Er. . . I. . . uh. . . might've hacked into the system and downloaded her picture - oh, and I printed it out, too!”
 
He shuffled with his baggy jean pockets before proudly displaying a fairly large picture of a girl.
 
“She's so-o-o-o pretty,” the hanyou drawled, voice oozing with sarcasm, though his gaze didn't even flicker once in the direction of the picture.
 
“Isn't she?” Kouga purred.
 
“She's starting tomorrow morning, if you want to meet her,” Naraku said to Kouga.
 
As soon as those words left his mouth, Kouga grabbed Naraku's shirt collar and stood up, ripping Naraku out of his chair and up with him.
 
“She is?! Why didn't you tell me this?! This is valuable information! What time?! Who's she `baby-sitting'?!”
 
“Ca- - - n't bre- - - eathe,” Naraku tried to say as his collar tightened around his neck - cutting off his air - his face started to turn an unnatural color of light blue.
 
Kouga released him, chuckling nervously, as he sat back down, Naraku doing the same, after rubbing his neck, glad to be alive. “Right, sorry. But you really should have told me all this. Now, spill your guts.”
 
Naraku rolled his eyes. “Didn't you hack into the database? You should already know this. Besides, there are rumors flying everywhere, surely you heard?”
 
“Mistress Kaede almost walked in on me, when I was finished printing the picture, I was saved by my youkai senses, but I didn't have enough of time to get much info. And, no, I didn't hear about it; now spill.” Kouga recited it all in a way that sounded like he read it from a card with lines on it and as though this happened every day - which it might, actually, with him.
 
“Alright already - sheesh. Her name is Kagome Higurashi, she's eighteen, graduated college really early as you can tell by her age, about five foot six, RN nurse with an associate's degree. . . um, that's about it,” he concluded lamely.
 
Kouga nodded, absorbing the information in like a sponge does water. “Kagome Higurashi. What a wonderful name.” He placed his chin on his open palm and fluttered his eyes.
 
“You're gonna make me barf,” Inuyasha warned.
 
“You're just jealous that she probably won't be looking after you.”
 
“Right. You do know she probably won't be looking after you, either. And if she does, by some magical unknown force, watch you, I can reassure you she ain't gonna fall for you.”
 
“But I can fall for her!” Kouga sighed dreamily.
 
The hanyou sighed in exasperation.
 
`Yes, it's gonna be a very long day,' Inuyasha thought glumly, picking at his breakfast.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------
Hentai—pervert
Hanyou—half demon
Youkai—demon
 
*Winces* Um, I was going to wait to edit the first few chapter until I was done with the story but it was driving me insane that the first few chapters are so GOD-AWFUL that I had to fix up an error… or a dozen… or a million dozen. The next new chapter will be out soon!
 
Ja ne!