InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Daily Routine ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: *Sigh* It's that—that big… meany with the black robes and hammer-thingy (referring to the judge) that said if I don't say this they'll take away everything I own—a knapsack with a mess kit that's missing a pan, two ripped up and raggedy tee-shirts and a very lonely, dirty nickel—so, for the record—and to make the meany happy—I- I- I… I don't-own-Inuyasha. *holding back tears* Happy? *blinks rapidly to keep vision clear* On a lighter note, I, however, own the who-o-o-ole plot. *sigh* Now, that that's off my chest I have to figure out how to tell my grandmother I broke her expensive, favorite Russian porcelain plate and cup. *sits in the corner to ponder* 
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
 
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Two: Daily Routine
-
 
-
 
 
Yes, it was going to be a very long day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Inuyasha thought about it and decided he would just gobble down his breakfast as quickly as possible then skedaddle to the next class-thing he went to.
 
Easier said then done.
  
“Hey, Inu, what exactly would you do if anything hot ever happened between you and the new nurse?”
 
That annoying voice belonged to the one and only Naraku.
 
`Damn Naraku.'
 
The hanyou decided that he would talk to Kouga to escape this one.
 
“So, you going to the `psychiatrist,' if you want to call her that, today?” he asked, keeping only nonchalance in his voice.
 
`Damn Kouga, too!'
 
Waving his hand as if shooing off a fly, Kouga signaled Inuyasha to be quiet before asking, “What was that, Naraku?”
 
“Oh, nothing, I merely wanted to know what Inuyasha would do if anything intense ever happened between the new nurse and him.”
 
If was obvious that the look of innocence that plastered itself across Naraku's face was false, so sadly it was also obvious that Kouga would pick up the way this conversation with Naraku was going.
 
“Yeah. Say what would you do?” Either that look was contagious, or they both liked to torture him with such stupid words and questions. And they were both perverts - not a happy combination.
 
Well, when all else fails, go to plan B.
 
“Excuse me, Nurse Koharu?”
 
The nurse that had been walking by stopped and looked at him. “Yes?”
 
“Could you get either get Miroku or someone else to escort me to. . . wherever it is that I'm supposed to go next.” His voice made it a command, not a question, and the tone seemed to seal it with that `don't-mess-with-me' that made her walk over and retrieve the monk from his employee table.
 
*
 
The hanyou watched her retreating form.
 
`Three. . .
 
`Two. . .
 
`One. . .'
 
“Did you even hear us?”
 
Inuyasha turned to face them. “Sorry, what?”
 
“I said what would you do if you ever got into a hot position with the new nurse?”
 
He shrugged. “Nothing, `cause nothing would ever happen.”
 
“But what if something happened?”
 
“Nothing, `cause nothing would ever happen.”
 
If he had to repeat that until Miroku came, then so be it. He could be patient when he needed to be.
 
*
 
Koharu walked over to Miroku's table and gently nudged his shoulder.
 
“I'm sorry to interrupt your breakfast, sir, but your patient, Inuyasha, wishes to be taken to his next session.”
 
He smiled, once again trying to appear cheerful. “Oh, I'll be right over. I'll just empty my tray. I was done anyway.” He gestured to his tray that no longer held food, but a few random condiments. “I'm sorry to have held him up. I just haven't had any time to talk with my friends in a while.” He sighed. “Well, now, I'll take this up and get on over to that poor puppy.”
 
“I'll accompany you. After all, I want to apologize for tearing you away from your friends.”
 
Miroku shrugged, though a small perverted glint lightened his eyes. “Suit yourself.”
 
They both walked over to the trashcan, having a short conversation, before making their way back over to wear Inuyasha was seated.
 
Miroku bid his farewells first. “Here's my stop. It was nice talking to you. . .?”
 
“Koharu.”
 
“Koharu. I hope to see you in a bed all alone sometime.”
 
A light pink blush covered Koharu's pale cheeks as her eyes widened slightly. “I think that's a tad bit inappropriate, don't you?”
 
Miroku chuckled before he started to walk away calling over his shoulder, “See ya `round, Koharu.”
 
“Yeah,” she mumbled. “Pervert.”
 
*
 
“. . . `Cause nothing would ever happen,” Inuyasha replied for the eighteenth time.
 
“What an interesting conversation, Inuyasha; tell me, have you finally took what I told you about the female specimen to heart?”
 
Not paying attention to what was said, but instead thinking that Kouga and Naraku had once again asked their question concerning a certain nurse, he answered with his infamous reply.
 
“Nothing, `cause nothing would ever happen”
 
Miroku cleared his throat. “Or maybe you just scratched that famous and delicate throat of yours and you're a broken record?”
 
“Nothing, `cause- - -” Inuyasha blinked, thoughts shattered and brought back to reality. “Huh? What- - - Miroku?”
 
“Have you decided to join the sane, then, Inuyasha?”
 
“Where do I go next?” Inuyasha asked, deciding to totally ignore the last comment made by the `wonderful' monk Miroku and get straight to the point.
 
“Hmm? Oh! Outdoor activity.”
 
Inuyasha sighed in a mix of irritation and exasperation. “Tell me you're joking!”
 
“I'm afraid not. What are you so down about anyway? Outdoor activity is whole bunches of fun.”
 
“Says the optimist,” Inuyasha replied in his normal, nonchalant voice.
 
“For your knowledge, outdoor activity is good for your health, it gives you some nice, clean, fresh air to breath up, instead of the dingy- - -”
 
“Miroku, how about instead of blabbering, you just take me outside to get the damn class over with? Sound good to you?”
 
“Hmm? Oh, right! Your next session! Sure, right this way.” He gestured toward the heavy metal door at the other end of the cafeteria.
 
“Whatever, just take me, okay?” Inuyasha stood up and crossed the tile floor, totally `forgetting' to empty his empty tray.
 
Inuyasha stood by the door waiting for Miroku to get over there, as he just had to say hello to everyone he walked by and give them at least one compliment.
 
After about fifteen minutes, Miroku had finally reached the door and slid his ID card through it.
 
It gave a beep and clicked open. Miroku slid his fingers through the handle and opened it shooing Inuyasha through and following, closing the door behind him.
 
As they walked down the tidy hallway, Miroku once again tried to make small talk. “So, Inuyasha, what was that little scene back at the table about?”
 
`Of all the- - -'
 
“Nothing, Miroku. The guys- - -” Inuyasha involuntarily winced. How long had it been since he had used that word? Almost two years? And then he had been hanging out with some random people that had seemed `cool' at first glance.
 
“ `The guys' what?” Miroku coaxed, seeing as there was a pause when Inuyasha had just cut off his sentence.
 
Inuyasha shook his head to clear his thought that had somehow opened a sore he had supposedly healed and forgotten about a few days after arriving here.
 
He cleared his throat. “The guys where merely teasing me. . . and in a highly perverted way that I thought was only possible when you did it.”
 
Miroku's brow creased into a troubled feature. “That is so not true!”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Yeah, and I positively love outdoor activities.”
 
“Shhh! I wouldn't say that so loudly.” He paused to open the door that lead to the fenced in field.
 
“I'll yell it to the heavens next time if it makes you feel better.”
 
Miroku turned to walk up to the nurse standing on top of the hill who was in charge of the session with Inuyasha in tow.
 
Believe me, it would make everyone's life so much simpler.”
 
“R-i-i-ight.”
 
The nurse turned his head to give the two approaching figures a sideways glance. “Takahasha, finally decide to join the party?”
 
“I was eating,” the hanyou said in a `duh' tone.
 
“A herd of elephants? Now get that chair-loving bum of yours over in that line there on the end by Suichikoku.” The nurse turned to Miroku to say in exasperation, “So how's your day been going. . . ?”
 
*
 
Inuyasha inwardly winced at that name: Suichikoku. Jankotsu Suichikoku. That crazy teen who thought he was a lovesick female part of the day, a—quote, unquote—“pretty butterfly flowing in the breeze” for a few hours, before he would finish it up by acting as a football player who was running around through the building, trying to find some of his `team players'.
 
It was only a few minutes later that the nurse walked over to the patients with a smile on his face. `Curse optimism.'
 
“Okay kiddies!”
 
And the person who invented it, too!
 
“Today we're going to play Capture the Flag. Anyone here know how to play?”
 
All the hands rose - save Inuyasha's.
 
“Okay, um . . Ellen? Do you have a question, you look confused.”
 
“C-c-c-c-c-oul-ld y-you r-r-repeat t-t-the ques-s-stion?”
 
“I said, does anyone know how to play Capture the Flag?”
 
All the hands dropped.
 
The nurse chuckled. “So we have all newbies, eh? Well, that's splendid. Here's what you do: There's two hula-hoops, one on each side of the field. Inside those hula-hoops, there is a cone with a strip of plastic in the middle; that is your flag and one person is gonna have to protect that flag and make sure it doesn't get stolen. Now, when I blow my whistle, the games started, and everyone, besides the flag protector, will run over to the other side of the field and try to steal the flag without getting tagged. If you do get tagged, you have to go back over to your side of the field. Now, anyone need me to go over the rules again?”
 
No hands were raised.
 
The nurse was slightly surprised. He always had to repeat the instructions at least twelve times every session. “Okay, any questions?”
 
Everyone, save Inuyasha, had their hand up once more.
 
“Yes, um . . . Ellen?”
 
“C-c-c-an y-you r-r-repeat t-t-he r-r-ules-s a-agai-in, p-p-please?”
 
The nurse sighed. He should've guessed.
 
“I'd be happy to. . .”
 
*
 
*
 
Ninety-three minutes and forty-two repeats of the rules later, the game was going along pretty smoothly. . . Inuyasha was on team 2 as the flag protector.
 
He yawned. This game really sucked.
 
What where they losing by fifty-three points, now?
 
He lost track at thirteen.
 
`Great; here comes a brat.'
 
“Um. . . e-e-xcus-se m-me, s-s-s-s-s-s-sir?”
 
“Yeah?” he asked, quirking an eyebrow, trying to appear menacing.
 
“C-c-can I-I-I h-h-have t-t-the fl-flag, p-p-please?” the little girl asked, not even attempting to `fight the flag protector' for the flag like she was supposed to - not that Inuyasha would even bother trying to protect a stupid strip of plastic.
 
“Eh?” he looked at it pretending to really think about it. “Well. . . I don't see why not. Sure.”
 
The girl smiled happily and reached over, picked up the flag, and started to run back to her side of the field.
 
Inuyasha flattened his ears ahead of time.
 
`Two . . .
 
`One . . .'
 
The whistle blew, marking the end of the round.
 
*
 
*
 
Precisely how long have they been playing?
 
Precisely how many points were they losing by? Two hundred-and-forty or fifty?
 
Once again, he lost count.
 
The nurse sounded his whistle three times, signaling the end of the game.
 
He thought that game was never gonna end. They had only been playing for almost five hours. At least most of the kids had started to master the game. . .
 
If all else failed, they could become professional Capture the Flag players.
 
Maybe.
 
There were a few personal nurses standing about and those `lucky' patients got to go to their next session early, which was probably lunch.
 
Inuyasha looked around. There was Miroku, clear as day, standing there, waiting to take him to his next session. Patiently waiting.
 
`Damn patience.'
 
Inuyasha slowly and grudgingly walked over to his annoying nurse.
 
“So, Inuyasha, how much fun did you have?”
 
`Damn optimism, too!'
 
“Plenty, Miroku. Now take me to where I'm going next.”
 
The monk shrugged. “All you have next is lunch.”
 
The hanyou rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”
 
The monk sighed as they walked back towards the door before saying, “You really need to lighten up. You won't be leaving this place anytime soon if you don't talk about it and at least try to make an effort at getting better.
 
“Keh. As if I need to lighten up. I am light.”
 
Miroku opened the door that he unlocked and they stepped inside.
 
“I suppose so,” Miroku said even though his tone of voice betrayed his words.
 
“I think I'm missing something,” Inuyasha said suspiciously.
 
Miroku put on his best cheerful fake smile, unlocked the door to the cafeteria, and replied, “No, nothing. You're not missing a thing.”
 
“Right.”
 
Miroku sighed. “I guess you better get your lunch, I'll be at my table for whenever you may need me.”
 
The hanyou didn't even answer the monk, he walked over to the lunch counter, grabbed his tray, and walked over to the table where Naraku and Kouga were sitting, gossiping about any and all new rumors they might have been able to get their grubby paws on.
 
“. . . Yeah, she is single according to her records.” Naraku's voice floated over to the hanyou's ears.
 
“Yes!” Kouga's excited reply came. Inuyasha could clearly see him jump up, swing his arm in victory, and flop back into him chair as the hanyou sat down beside the people he no longer thought were sane - if they were to begin with.
 
“Inu, glad you could join us.”
 
Inuyasha grunted in reply.
 
“Yeah, Inu, I mean, come on. You've been in that little world of yours for so long. You don't know what you're missing! Like your chance with the new nurse that's coming in tomorrow- - -”
 
Inuyasha gave a growl of annoyance. He was fast losing his patience with the world that the Kamis seemed `nice' enough to curse him with.
 
“How many times do I have to tell you? I'm not interested in anyone!” Inuyasha said in a calm, cold voice while dropping his tone an octave to show his deep annoyance.
 
Kouga sighed. “Let me guess, you were rejected and now you're sulking because a girl wouldn't roll over and let you screw her.”
 
Inuyasha made a face. He would never do something like that. His stomach churned at the thought of such a thing. “That is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard in my life.”
 
“Then what is it?” Naraku asked in exasperation.
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Nothing.”
 
“Nothing?” Naraku repeated skeptically.
 
Inuyasha shrugged in nonchalance.
 
“You're hopeless,” Kouga added his two cents.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“You're welcome.”
 
*
 
*
 
Life was going to end.
 
“Have you made any progress yet?”
 
Yes, life was going to collapse and suffocate him. He would bet on that.
 
`Okay, don't take that seriously.'
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“I asked, have you made any progress yet? You know, with Sango.”
 
“Why don't you ask her?”
 
Miroku shrugged. “I would rather get the information from you.”
 
Inuyasha sighed heavily in annoyance. “Can you guess what the answer to that would be?”
 
“Er- - -”
 
“Exactly.”
 
They turned the tiled floor corner to see a Jankotsu walk out of a room and close a door.
 
Well, stamp out.
 
At first Jankotsu looked fine - lost - but fine, altogether. He was looking around in a manner that said he really was lost.
 
But the moment his eyes fell on Miroku and Inuyasha, they glazed over. Jankotsu bent over throwing something invisible behind himself before he turned retrieved whatever he threw and faced them.
 
Inuyasha was actually a little nervous to see how this was gonna end.
 
Jankotsu thrust out his left hand in a defending position, tucked the. . . `Is he pretending to hold a football?' Inuyasha wondered. `Apparently so . . .'
 
Well, he tucked the. . . `football' against his chest in a protective manner, bent his back and neck a little so he was looking down before he came charging at them giving a very. . . wonderful battle cry.
 
Inuyasha moved out of the path and Jankotsu stormed by and threw the ball he had cradled on the floor screaming, “Touch down, touch down, do it again! We're on a line one more time so let's bring it on in! Woo!”
 
Inuyasha blinked in nonchalance before continuing down the hall and turned into the room on the left that Jankotsu had come out of before he got his wonderful touchdown leaving Miroku to deal with the very weird boy.
 
The room was pretty small yet cozy at the same time. There was one of those couches that he shrinks always had for their patients to lie on and spill everything about themselves, their fears, dreams, future, present, and, most importantly, their past. . .
 
`Keh!' Like he'd ever tell the annoying bitch in here everything about himself - he wouldn't. Not now, not tomorrow, not the day after that, never. . .
 
A small ache rubbed at his chest.
 
`It isn't right.'
 
No one should have to talk about themselves and their past if they didn't want to - no one.
 
“Good afternoon, Inuyasha. I see you're right on time for your one-thirty appointment. Have a good day?” a woman with long dark brown hair that was tied up into a ponytail said from her seat in a plush chair.
 
“Let me think about that. . . No, um, no-o-o-o. . . no, and no.”
 
“My, my. You're in a cheerful mood.”
 
“So Sango, we gonna waste my time here talking or are we gonna waste time my time here trying to dig up my `soft side'.”
 
Sango gave a hearty chuckle. “Always have to lighten the mood, don't you?”
 
“If you want to call it that,” he replied sarcastically.
 
“Well, time to start the session. Please, take a seat,” she gestured to the black leather couch.
 
Inuyasha sighed. This was going to be one hell of a session.
 
*
 
“- - -For you health, you know. Depression may seem like the answer, but it's merely a curse.”
 
An hour and forty-five minutes.
 
An hour and forty-five minutes of listening to that women rave about him trying to escape his past - which by the way she didn't have a clue about - by going into depression.
 
`Shows how much she knows,' he mentally grumbled to himself.
 
`Yeah,' his youkai agreed.
 
Didn't she know that he wasn't going to tell someone he didn't trust with something like his past?
 
“- - -Wrap up this session with an easy task- - -”
 
Nope, not a clue.
 
“Inuyasha? Are you still with me?”
 
“Do I really have anywhere to go?” he snapped back to the psychiatrist.
 
Sango paused. “. . . Hmm. . .” she hummed, looking intently at him.
 
`Is she actually pondering that question?'
 
“Yes, you do.”
 
`Yes. Yes, she is.' He gave her a dry look.
 
“You can come back into reality, away from depression.”
 
Not more garbage about depression!
 
“For the last time,” the livid hanyou seethed, “I am not, nor will I ever be, depressed.”
 
Sango sighed. “You are dismissed; our session is over.”
 
“Finally!” Inuyasha cried in exasperation.
 
He jumped up and brushed past Sango as he walked out, slamming the door behind him.
 
He fumed down the hall, wondering how she could take a look at someone and think that she could identify what was wrong with them, without even understanding.
 
It was all her fault- - -
 
“Whoa! Oh, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha blinked at the nurse. Well, apparently he couldn't think and walk at the same time, he almost barreled over Kouga. He'd have to be more careful next time- - -
 
`Kouga!' What was he doing out here?
 
“Kouga, what exactly are you doing without one of those nurses being with you?”
 
Kouga shrugged, trying to look innocent. “I asked for a nurse to escort me to the restroom and after a few minutes when I looked behind me, she wasn't there anymore so now I'm looking for her.”
 
Inuyasha looked skeptical. “Really? Then what are those papers sticking out of your pocket, huh?”
 
A long silence passed.
 
Did he plan on answering?
 
More seconds ticked away.
 
Maybe not- - -
 
“Okay! I admit it! I went to Mistress Kaede's to get some records of the new nurse, but I needed to see the love of my life and know more about her so when she comes tomorrow I can talk to her about it.”
 
`. . . Wow. . . what a confession.'
 
“You. . . are an idiot.”
 
Kouga mumbled something that sounded a lot like “That may be so, but I'm an idiot in love, unlike you.”
 
“What was that?” Inuyasha growled.
 
“You heard it, and in case you didn't, I'll repeat it: That may be- - -”
 
“Kouga Ookami!”
 
Kouga winced; he already knew he was in trouble.
 
And alas, right after she called to the wolf demon, an elderly woman walked out from her office, positively fuming.
 
“Ah, Mistress Kaede. You look nice today- - -”
 
“Don't give me any innocent garbage! Just what are you doing in the hallway without being with an employee?”
 
“Er. . . well, you see I was. . . uh. . . going to the restroom - with a nurse, mind you -
and. . . uh. . . after a few minutes when I was talking to her she. . . she. . . vanished?” he said finishing his excuse with what sounded like a question.
 
“Uh-huh. I'm sure. And what's your excuse, Inuyasha?”
 
“I was waiting for Miroku.”
 
“In the hall?” Keade's eyebrow arched.
 
“Just left Sango's.”
 
“Why didn't you wait there?”
 
Inuyasha sighed, nothing got passed her without an explanation. “She had other patients so I decided I'd wait out here to give them their privacy.”
 
“So you walked around the corner?”
 
He shrugged. “I could still here them when I stood right by the door. I'm not human, remember?” As if to prove what he said, he twitched his ears.
 
Realization dawned in the woman's eyes. “Oh, well, I thank you for respecting other people's privacy; that was very considerate.”
 
“Keh. . .” Since it was a white - more like a black - lie, he couldn't say anything but that.
 
“And you, Mr. Kouga, I am very disappointed in you. I would expect better.”
 
Kouga sighed. “Yeah, I know.”
 
Keade nodded. “Good. Well, I guess I'll escort you to where you're headed. Now, where would that be?”
 
Kouga perked up. “Kagome's bed?”
 
Kaede's look darkened. “Excuse me? What did you say?”
 
`. . . Is she starting to foam at the mouth?' Inuyasha wondered, amused.
 
“Uh. . . ” Kouga fumbled for words.
 
He must have already figured out that his death had come.
 
“ `Uh,' Mr. Kouga, is not the answer to the question! I'll ask one more time: What did you say!?”
 
`. . . Yep, that is definitely foam forming at her mouth.'
 
“I- I uh . . . w- well I said I was going to go to- - -”
 
Kaede's eyes flashed dangerously in her anger. “Kagome's bed?” she finished for him.
 
“What!” Kouga said appalled. “I have no intention whatsoever,” he answered trying to look innocent.
 
`Could use some work, looked like he was terrified. . .' Or maybe that was what the look was for . . .
 
“I swear, Mr. Ookami,” Kouga winced, it was bad when she called someone by their last name - it was worse than any other punishment - she watched you like a hawk if she called someone by their last name. “If I hear a peep,” Kaede continued, “that you or anyone else for that matter, has taken the slightest advantage of the girl, whether it be sexual or not, I'll have it that they won't be able to stand, eat, walk, or anything for weeks because everything will be sore from all the work they'll be doing.”
 
Kouga gulped. “Right.”
 
Inuyasha sighed. He dug his own grave, that's all there was to it.
 
“There you are, Inuyasha! I was starting to wonder if you ran away. Oh, Mistress Kaede, what happened?”
 
The old woman shook her head. “Nothing, Miroku.”
 
“Oh. Well, Inuyasha, are you ready to leave?”
 
“Where to?” said hanyou answered in a bored voice.
 
“Art; your favorite session.”
 
“Oh, I'll go get my crayons.”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kaede said in a stern voice. “That type of attitude will not be tolerated here. If you wish to act like that, I'll ship you to Shwinsen before you can say sorry.”
 
“Keh!”
 
“Inuyasha- - -” Kaede started in a threatening manner.
 
“Oh my! Is that really the time!” Miroku cut the woman off saying. “You really are going to be late if we don't hurry, Inuyasha.”
 
With that, the nurse grabbed a handful of fabric from Inuyasha's shirt near his shoulder and dragged him off to their next destination calling over his shoulder, “Have a wonderful day, Mistress Kaede.”
 
As soon as the two reached the other side of the building and they were standing in front of the door to the art room, Miroku released his grip on Inuyasha's shirt.
 
Right away Inuyasha folded his arms over his torso and scowled. “What did you do that for?”
 
Miroku sighed. “Inuyasha, if you aren't careful she's going to actually send you to Shwinsen. So shape up or ship out.”
 
“Keh, then I guess I'd better get packing.”
 
Miroku gave the hanyou a pitiful look. “You're pathetic. You sulk in the corner because you don't want to be here; well guess what? That's not going to work like it did when you were seven, because here you have to work and prove that you're worthy of leaving, if you don't- - -” he shrugged, “- - - then you'd better get comfortable, because you're going to be here a long time.”
 
Sighing for the last time, Miroku turned and left, leaving Inuyasha standing in front of the art door to walk himself in.
 
It took awhile for the monk's words to register. But when they finally did he became bitter.
 
No way was he `shaping up'. He wouldn't just `shape up'. No bloody way. First off, he didn't belong here. Second. . . Miroku. . . Miroku talked . . . actually talked - quite casually, too - about his past.
 
A low growl vibrated from the back of his throat.
 
He knew having a friend since childhood working here would do no good. He knew it, knew it, knew it!
 
His frustration died suddenly.
 
Why should he care? If anyone talked about something about his past, it didn't matter.
 
He shook his head to clear his mind before opening the door and walking in.
 
The middle aged red-head who had been leaning over a kid's shoulder looked up.
 
“Ah, Inuyasha, I see you joined the party.”
 
“Yeah, was I supposed to bring party cake or something?” the hanyou asked rudely.
 
The women chuckled, obviously humored at his `joke.'
 
“No, you weren't. Now, will you please take a seat by Jankotsu Suichikoku?”
 
Inuyasha sighed, what was up with him and standing or sitting or being by Jankotsu lately?
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Yeah, yeah, I'm going,” he said before walking over to sit by the crazy boy.
 
“Okay now, we're going to have free drawing. But try and do your best because I'm going to hang these out in the hallway.”
 
Great, now it sounded like he was back in elementary school.
 
“Any questions?”
 
Inuyasha didn't even bother to raise his hand; he just called out, “Yeah, do we have to do it?”
 
The woman giggled. “You're quite the joker, aren't you? Of course you have to.”
 
`What a dense woman.' He sighed. “Whatever.”
 
The nurse smiled before handing out paper, pencils, markers and - curse the kamis - even crayons.
 
`Okay, now this really feels like elementary school.'
 
“You have sixty minutes to work on this. You can begin.”
 
The hanyou sighed. What sixty minutes of hell this would be.
 
*
 
*
 
“Okay, I'm coming around to check your progress,” the red-headed nurse said fifty-five minutes into the session.
 
The nurse started to walk around and glance over the kids' shoulders while giving them compliments about it.
 
Inuyasha gave a final glance at his before he saw the nurse look over his work.
 
She paused a moment, as if thinking about what to say about his. . . masterpiece.
 
“Wow, Inuyasha,” she finally said. “It's so. . . so. . . original.”
 
The hanyou looked down at his paper with fake pride. “Isn't it?” he cooed.
 
“Er - yeah. Couldn't you have done anything more exiting? Like an airplane or a computer? Even a real person?”
 
Inuyasha pretended to frown. “What's wrong with the person I drew?”
 
“Well, it's a . . . a . . . a uh- - -”
 
“Stick figure?”
 
“Yes. That's exactly what it is.”
 
“But it's art.”
 
“There's no background, though. It's just . . . there - walla - nothing to decorate the huge space of white surrounding it.”
 
“It's still art.”
 
“It's not even colored.”
 
“It's still art.”
 
“It's only outlined in black marker, that's it. No imagination, no. . . no nothing!”
 
“It is still art.”
 
The nurse smiled sadly. “You're right. And it's your art - plain or no.”
 
With that, she walked to the next teenager, who happened to be Jankotsu who drew the `mystery man' of his dreams that he - apparently - was going to marry.
 
By the time the nurse had finished going around checking on the work, the session ended so everyone put their papers in a pile and started to leave.
 
It was only a few minutes later that Miroku showed up, cheerful as ever.
 
`Did I mention how much I want to curse cheerfulness?' he asked himself.
  
“Yo, yo, yo, Inuyasha!”
 
Kami, kill him. Kill him now. Kill him while there was still time to spare. Was anyone going to show him mercy?
 
“How's the art been?”
 
Nope, those damned kamis were sitting up there. Laughing at him, he could feel it. He could hear it.
 
Inuyasha sighed in annoyance.
 
Miroku's smile faltered a little, only a little, before he beamed. “That much fun, huh?”
 
“Sure, Miroku. Now may I please go back to- - -?”
 
“Silent Book?” Miroku cut in. “Sure. Let's go.”
 
Silent Book, what a stupid name; stupid, stupid, stupid name.
 
Luck had it that `Stupid' Book was only around the corner and Inuyasha was standing in a small library with a few chapter books, couple of reference, and hordes of picture books.
 
So many people at the center were barely literate that Inuyasha had to suffer the consequences - many picture books.
 
Sighing, Inuyasha decided he would make the best of his ninety minutes here and he grabbed a few reference and science fiction books before plopping down at the nearest window bench.
 
Before he read the book however, the hanyou scanned the cover for a title.
 
`Hmm. . . interesting.'
 
Aliens? Do They Exist or are They Earth's Very Own Woman Species?
  
Couldn't say he disagreed with the book. Women were a mystery; like an alien.
 
But maybe that was because he never took the time to spend time and get to know one that he trusted completely. . .?
 
`No! No! No!' he berated himself. `Leave the past alone.'
 
Inuyasha gave a sigh to help relax his nerves before he opened to a random page and started to furiously read.
 
He had to get his past off his mind. . .
 
*
 
*
 
`Ugh. . .'
  
What did he do to deserve this?
 
`Headache.'
 
Glancing up, Inuyasha saw that it was one minute to .
 
What to do - party or sulk? Party because in just a few seconds he would be leaving the headache-giving hellhole or sulk because when he left he'd have to face Kouga and Naraku at dinner, not to mention Miroku. . .
 
Decisions, decisions.
 
The grandfather clock chimed.
 
All heads turned to watch the dark clock in the corner before getting up and placing back the books they had been reading or had already finished.
 
The hanyou snapped his book shut before he walked over to the shelf and carefully placed the book in the incorrect spot, not really giving a damn.
 
“Oh, Inuyasha, I didn't know you were a librarian. What, is it a new job?”
 
Inuyasha bit back a growl at that annoying voice.
 
“Why, yes. I did, Miroku,” he drawled sarcastically.
 
“Well you certainly aren't doing a very good job of it! Here, let me help, they're all out of order,”
 
And so it began. . .
 
*
 
Fifteen minutes later, Inuyasha and Miroku walked into the cafeteria where they made their `cheerful' partings and Inuyasha walked over to the usual spot as did Miroku.
 
Inuyasha didn't even have a chance to sit down before he was practically pummeled by Kouga.
 
“So, did you get in trouble?”
 
“For what?” he answered, deciding to play dumb as he sat down and started to eat.
 
Kouga sighed, obviously annoyed. “Did you get in trouble from Miroku seeing as how you played the `innocent act' with Kaede.”
 
Wow, he could tell. Well, no surprise there, the white lie he told Kaede would never be true, seeing as he couldn't care less about other people's problems they have with their life.
 
“Nope, not really,” came the hanyou's muffled reply through a bite of rice.
 
Kouga seemed to give an awkward pout. “No fair! I'm on Kaede's `bad side' now, and she's going to watch me like a hawk while Kagome's going to be around me, so I can't make a move on her!”
 
“Remind me to cry when I start to care.”
 
“That's not funny! I can't get anywhere near Kagome now without being monitored!”
 
“Who said I was being funny?”
 
Inuyasha stuffed a few bites of chicken into his mouth.
 
Kouga started to very pathetically pout before he started to dine on his own dinner.
 
Inuyasha noticed Naraku though, sitting quietly, for once, and he became a little suspicious as to what he was doing.
 
“Naraku, anything wrong?”
 
Naraku's head shot up and the noodle he had been eating broke and fell to his plate.
 
“No!” he replied too hastily for Inuyasha's liking.
 
The hanyou kept his nonchalant posture so Naraku wouldn't suspect him of feeling so suspicious. “Whatever.”
 
Naraku visibly relaxed when he thought Inuyasha wasn't looking; and that wasn't like him.
 
Inuyasha's suspicious feeling that something was amiss only grew.
 
*
 
Dinner slowly crept by slower then a turtle walks across an interstate highway.
 
But finally it ended and the cafeteria slowly emptied, along with Kouga and Naraku while Inuyasha walked over to where Miroku was - as usual - being perverted.
 
“So, ladies, I was wondering- - -?” Miroku tried to say but he was interrupted be a certain hanyou.
 
“So, Miroku, I was wondering if you were going to escort me out of here any time soon.”
 
“Oh, Inuyasha. Yeah. . . uh. . . I was just about to go over and get you. Well let's go.” Miroku grabbed Inuyasha and walked out quickly.
 
“So, where to next?”
 
“Umm, I do believe you go to. . .” Miroku paused to think. “Oh! You lucky little thing, you! You get to watch the littler kids and the teens with the special-er needs.”
 
He had to go to that room that two year-olds played in to watch some kids that were too stupid to not get in trouble unless they were watched?
 
Inuyasha's mind went on rampage. Why did he have to watch little brats and retards?
 
“Inuyasha? Are you coming?”
 
“Yeah,” he replied in a dark, pouting voice.
 
The hanyou and the nurse walked through the building and over to the nursery area where their destination was.
 
“Well, I'll see you in a bit!”
 
“Yep.”
 
Miroku walked away leaving an irritated hanyou to walk into the room unguarded.
 
Here goes nothing. `Brace yourself and. . .'
 
He walked in.
 
And he was tackled by a football playing Jankotsu.
 
*
 
*
 
A very tired nurse walked around in a frenzy to clean up the mess that was being made as quickly as it was cleaned up when she looked up at the clock with a relieved face, “Okay, kids, it's time to go. If you see your escort, please donothesitate in leaving!”
 
A couple of the children and teens left while some remained.
 
Inuyasha glanced up from his corner. No sign of Miroku.
  
Damn his luck!
 
*
 
It only took about another ten minutes for everyone to clear out. . .
  
And another twenty for Miroku to come.
 
“So, Miroku. What kept you this time?”
 
Miroku coughed slightly. “Why whatever do you mean?”
 
“Let me guess. Flirting and groping.”
 
“Why, no!”
 
The two started to walk back to Inuyasha's cell.
 
“Yeah, and I'm in an asylum center.”
 
Miroku raised a brow. “You are in one, Inuyasha.”
 
“Precisely, and you flirt and grope.”
  
Apparently, that worked when Miroku fell silent.
 
They had reached Inuyasha's room and Miroku held out some clothes.
 
“Here, your change of clothes for the night and tomorrow. I'll wait until you change so I can take them back to the laundry room.”
 
Inuyasha sighed before he went into the small bathroom and changed into his clothes and then walked out and gave the dirty ones to Miroku- - -
 
Or rather threw them at Miroku.
 
After the nurse peeled the dirty garments from his face he said his partings. “Well, have a good night, Inuyasha. And cheer up would you, you look so down.”
 
Inuyasha snapped back. “Well, I was tackled by a lunatic three times when he claimed I was hiding his football.”
 
Miroku chuckled. “You're such a joker.”
 
The hanyou glared. `That wasn't a joke.' “Just leave already.”
 
“Fine, I'll see you in the morning.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. I hear it every night.”
 
“Yes, you do. . .” Miroku hesitated before continuing in a tone that was surprisingly serious, “And from a concerned friend.”
 
Miroku flew out the door and locked it behind him when he saw that Inuyasha was lunging at him.
 
Some things would never change, no matter what. How tragic the truth could be sometimes.
 
*
 
Inuyasha was fuming.
 
How dare he!
 
`That's it; that was the last straw. No more!' No more shit from Miroku.
 
Inuyasha lied down on his soft bed and warm blankets.
 
Before he fell into his restless sleep however, he whispered in a tone that was full of frustration and an emotion he couldn't bow down to having. “I can't take it. . .”
 
That tone he used was a sorrowful one; one that came from the depths of his iced over feelings.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
@_@ O…M…G… I didn't know it was possible for a FanFic to be so awful! ~_~ Thank goodness I'm editing it, though, right?
 
R&R!
 
Ja ne! ^_~