InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Mentally Blinded ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Well, like the last time, and the time before, and don't forget the time before that one, I still don't have any ownership over Inuyasha or any of the other characters. So, yes, I am depressed. But I'm calling someone soon to see if we can fix my little problem. Heh, heh; Inuyasha, you better hide, I'm coming for you! Muahahaha! Muahahaha! MUAhahaha!
*men in white suits come and put the crazy lady in a straight jacket*
Muahahaha!
*men shake heads as they put poor lady in a white van and drives her far, far away*
 A/N: About the little girl, she's not Rin; I have plans with Rin. In this story, Rin is an adult. And the little girl shall be in the story a bit more, too! And I want to thank people who actually reviewed! You're so kind! But, now, I have a feeling your patience has been smoldered by my will to rave on and on; so, here's the next part. . .
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
 
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Four: Mentally Blinded
 
-
 
-
 
“I'm innocent till proven guilty.”
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kouga seemed to be over-excited - in a bad way. The questions just poured from his mouth. Half the time Kagome didn't know what he asked.
 
Inuyasha looked at Kouga as he started to speak some sort of language known as. . . nothing. He was merely combining words and speaking at such a rate that it sounded like a radio was being fast forwarded.
 
“Want knomore abou.”
 
Kagome blinked in confusion. “Excuse me? Could you repeat that?”
 
Kouga took a deep breath as he said a little more slowly. “I want to know more abou - I mean about you.”
 
“Oh. . . well, there's only about ten minutes left in this lunch period.”
 
Kouga deflated as his little talk with the nurse was almost over; he was disappointed, very disappointed.
 
Kagome cleared her throat. “But I could talk a little tomorrow if you want me to- - -”
 
Yeah!” Kouga cried, causing to people that were sitting beside him to look up from eating their lunches as cast Kouga curious glances to see what he was hollering about.
 
“What are you looking at?” Inuyasha barked harshly, irritated at the gapers; the people quickly looked away.
 
“Um. . . if your done asking questions then I guess I'll go- - -”
 
No!”
 
Kagome jumped in surprise at Koga's outburst. “Then I'll stay.”
 
Kouga grinned and resumed his inquisition. “So do you know who you are going to be. . .” Kouga stopped and tried to look for the right word - since he wasn't sure if she'd know what he meant if he were to say `baby-sit' - so instead he finished saying, “Watching?”
 
Kagome's brow furrowed as she contemplated the question.
 
After a few pregnant seconds, she realized what Kouga asked her. “Oh, I'm not going to release her name, she can tell you herself - if she wants to, that is.”
 
`She'? A girl?”
 
“Yeah, what's wrong with girls?” Kagome asked, narrowing her eyes slightly.
 
“N- nothing. . . I merely meant you were going to be helping a girl, when it was me that I was hoping you - never mind. So. . . How long are you planning to be working here?”
 
Kagome considered this. How long did she consider staying here? A while maybe. . .
maybe only a little while. She wasn't in charge of deciding things like that, after all. . . .
 
“I'm not. . . totally sure about that,” she said slowly, deliberately.
 
Kouga tried not to look disappointed. “Oh. . . so that means you might only be here for a day, a week, or even just a month?”
 
Kagome looked at the table, blinking her bright, intelligent eyes as she mulled over the question. She never did like lying, even if it wasn't her place to make a comment, and she was absolutely terrible at acting. She could never act to escape a tight position. Never, even if her life was at stake.
 
But how long was she staying? She has worked so hard at this. So hard, in fact, that it wasn't even funny, not in the littlest bit. She had advanced two grades and had gone to school to become an RN nurse for only two years, earning an associates degree.
 
A short way to put it: she worked her ass off.
 
But how long was she going to stay?
 
“I know I'm staying for a while. Not for my whole life. . . but a while. . . I think.”
 
“You mean a couple of years. . .?”
 
A couple of years. . .? Maybe.
 
“Probably.”
 
Kouga smiled. “Well, then. Welcome to our house of insanity.”
 
Kagome cocked her head and asked a bit wishfully. “So are you done with your questions?”
 
“Hel- heck no,” he said, catching himself from swearing in front of Kagome.
 
“Oh. . .” she sounded slightly put off.
 
To Kagome's disappointment, he asked her things for the rest of the ten minutes and took her up on her foolish offer of resuming the little `interview' tomorrow if she wasn't busy she had given earlier.
 
The threesome was just about to make their partings when one of the nurses that was closer to Mistress Kaede - Hatori was it? - came over.
 
“Excuse me, Miss. . . Kagome, right?”
 
The younger women nodded her head. “Yeah, that's me”
 
The nurse smiled a sweet, kind, false smile. “Mistress Kaede instructed me to gave you this folder,” the wavy-locked girl held a manila folder in her outstretched hand. “I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of paper work that was forgotten about,” the nurse said quickly, to help the hesitant girl.
 
“Oh. Of course; I'm sorry! I'm just always nervous that I'll be fired; it's my first time in a place like this.”
 
The other nurse's smile was genuine this time. “Don't be like that! From what I heard, everyone adores you! I hear nothing but compliments. Everyone on staff is impressed with your skills; they apparently thought that because you're so young, you'd be shaky at what you do. Boy, have you proven them wrong!”
 
“Really?” Kagome gave a flattered smile. “I'm not that good.”
 
“Don't be silly! For your age you're pretty good at - excuse me? Don't you two have somewhere to be?” she snapped to the bored hanyou that had leaned up against an invisible wall and the eager youkai that was leaning forward slightly - trying to hear the conversation even though his hearing was acute and he could hear them talking a hundred feet away, “Is it polite to be eavesdropping - er. . .” she seemed to notice that she was in a center where the patients didn't think straight-or in most cases - didn't think at all and might not understand big words. “I mean, it's not nice to- - -”
 
“We know what you meant,” Inuyasha snapped irritably.
 
“Fine then, I'll escort you to your next activity,” the nurse said, trying to keep her temper.
 
Before she did so, however, she turned to Kagome. “Do you want to come with? I could show you around as I escort these two,” she motioned with a waving hand in the general direction of Kouga and Inuyasha.
 
Kagome shook her head. “I have my own to escort. But thanks for the offer. See ya `round. . .?”
 
Inuyasha, getting annoyed, cleared his throat in a manner that seemed to say that he wanted out of there - which he did.
 
The nurse gave a heavy, silent, frustrated sigh as she said a few last words. “My name's Ayumi, if you ever need me. And feel free to pop by and say hi.”
 
“Ahem!” Inuyasha said, making a bigger show of clearing his throat.
 
Ayumi turned to face the arrogant hanyou and silent ookami. “Ready?” she asked in a strained to the limit voice.
 
“I've been ready,” Inuyasha said rudely while Kouga merely shrugged silently.
 
Ayumi turned and motioned for them to follow as she slid her own ID card into the scanner and led them through the halls. But as they left the cafeteria room, Inuyasha realized that the sweet scent he had smelled earlier was disintegrating.
 
Inuyasha seemed to remember just that moment that he had a nurse of his own that moment - Miroku. He hesitated in continuing with this nurse. He should go back and tell Miroku that he was going to be escorted by someone different. After a few second ponder, he ignored the fact he ever thought of it.
 
It was just then that he realized that the nurse had a curious look on her face.
 
“What are you thinking about, wench?” he snapped.
 
“Wench isn't my name,” Ayumi commented.
 
“Whatever. What's bothering you?”
 
She sighed. Kouga cast her a curious glance. “Yeah, what's up?”
 
Ayumi seemed to have an inner, mental battle of wills before she answered, “I was just curious as to why you were sitting with Miss Kagome. You don't seem to have any. . . special needs. Why were you sitting with her?”
 
“Questioning her about things,” Kouga said without hesitation.
 
Ayumi seemed troubled, “What things?”
 
“Just things about her personal life.”
 
Ayumi perched her lips in a thin line that made her look like she had just had some lemon juice but said nothing because they had arrived at their destination - outdoor activity.
 
“Maybe I'll see you sometime.” Ayumi said cheerfully even though the tone was obviously forced.
 
“Glad that's over,” Inuyasha said as the young women walked away, totally ready to leave and not talk to Kouga again unless he absolutely had to.
 
Kouga could be so annoying sometimes. He was attention deficit, meaning that he would do almost anything at times to be noticed; and apparently, since he liked the new nurse, she was going to be the target of all his schemes now. Good for Inuyasha, bad for that poor, unsuspecting nurse.
 
“Wait.”
 
Inuyasha turned to face Kouga. “Yeah? What do you want now?”
 
“Will you come tomorrow again to help me talk with Kagome?”
 
Inuyasha took a deep, steadying breath to keep from exploding in the wolf's face.
 
“Fine; why not,” he bit through clenched teeth before he sharply turned and stomped away to the field where the players where, being instructed on the game they where playing - Capture the Flag. His patience was really being put to the test a lot lately, and his temper was one thing he didn't have control over.
 
“- - -A point. It's really easy. We played it yesterday- - -”
 
Inuyasha's ears twitched. Even from here, he could here the coach's instructions. People from Europe could hear with how loud and slow the damn guy was talking.
 
He glances over at Inuyasha's direction. “Well, well, well, here's the late-comers. Please come over here and join us. I'm pretty sure you'll have fun.”
 
“Fun my ass. . .” Inuyasha mumbled.
 
`More like he'll have fun as he torturesme.'
 
Inuyasha decided not to wait for Kouga, but instead walked over to the line that had formed.
 
“Now where was I. . .? Oh, yes! I was just about to. . . Mr. Ookami, could you have walked any slower?” the coach asked in an irritated voice.
 
Kouga, who looked a little dazed, and now irritated from the coach's question, fought back a glare as he looked the older man in the eye. “No. . . I don't think I could have, in fact.”
 
The coach gave the teen a dark look. “Please join your friends, and now would be a good time, too.”
 
Kouga snapped his head in the direction of Inuyasha before marching over to him. “What if I don't wanna?” he said it so quietly that the human nurse's ears couldn't catch the words.
 
“As I was. . . does anyone have questions?” the coach asked giving a friendly grin that betrayed his earlier feelings of irritation he had showed to Kouga.
 
Almost all the hands went up and his grin grew, making it obviously fake. “Yes?”
 
“I've. . . wondered. . . if. . . you. . . could. . . uh. . .” her voice was slow and it sounded like she was overdosed with drugs - and apparently, she forgot what she was going to say, “Uh. . . could. . .you. . . wait, what?”
 
“Could I. . . do something for you? Help you do something? Repeatsomething?”
 
“Uh. . . I. . . repeat. . . could. . . rules. . .?”
 
“Don't hurt yourself. I can repeat the rules. Is that what you wanted to ask?”
 
“Uh. . . yeah?”
 
“Okay, then . . .”
 
And so it began once again. . .
 
*
 
*
 
Inuyasha groaned as yet another brat `ran' to him. Like always, he was the flag protector.
 
The boy stopped and looked up at him, his mouth gaping open, his eyes dazed slits.
 
Inuyasha's eyebrow arched, `Is he okay. . .? Oh, wait, we're in a funky-farm. Nothing's okay.'
 
The boy's eyes glazed with concentration.
 
“Uh. . . what do. . . I. . .uh. . .do. . . now. . .?”
 
Inuyasha's eyebrow rose higher. `You're going to catch flies if your mouth stays open like a black hole!'
 
“You take the flag . . . if you- - -” he cut himself off, to stop the insult. He didn't deserve it. He was mentally ill, don't make him feel bad.
 
`Keh! As if he couldfeel anything!'
 
The boy drooled slightly. “Okay.”
 
Inuyasha jumped out of his way, wrinkling his nose in disgust. `Putrid! Vile! The kid's disgusting! '
 
The boy turned around, blinked and scampered back towards his half of the field.
 
Inuyasha shuddered. Compared to that kid, no, his was not crazy. But no one else could see that.
 
“Keh.”
 
`Blinded by stupidity. ..or arrogance. . . whoknows? And who the hell cares? Physically, they can see perfectly fine. However, they can't see a thing; they're all mentally blinded and that's never led to anything good.'
------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------
 
Ookami—wolf
 
People! Guess what? My life's getting easier! Not much homework and I finally understand math! . . . I hope I didn't just jinx myself. . . . --_--
 
Ja ne!