InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Youkai Conscience ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I. . . I have my lawyer! Let's hear it from her mouth:
*Lawyer smiles* Sayo124 cannot own Inuyasha. It's nearly impossible. Here are a few reasons:
1) Sayo124 is not smart enough to create such a complex and delicate thing.
2) Sayo124 is quite awful at writing original stories.
3) Sayo124—
*Jaw drops* I though you were on my side!
*Lawyer smiles brightly* I don't take sides—I'm a lawyer.
::Grumbles:: Whatever. . . And I can so write originals. . . And I am so smarter then you give me credit for.
*Lawyer rolls eyes* So you say. . .
 
A/N: Hope you enjoyed my disclaimer. . . I wanted to do something a bit more. . . different for once. . . And, um, no, I don't have a lawyer (I'm too young), but don't get any ideas! There is a disclaimer there, so you can't sue!
 
~reviewers~
Uhh... cute was the word I never use. I use crush all the time, just in a different context. (As in "bwhahaha, stupid Goomba, taste Mario's wrath as he crushes your head!") So not only does Inuyasha's family not want to see him, but his DOCTOR doesn't want to either. That's cold... Maybe it's his breath... So, the girl Kagome's looking after, will she be the same one Inuyasha was nice to way back in the story that we haven't heard from again? And that session with Sango was a good read. But she seems to have a problem with crazy people: she is really bad at dealing with them. The problem's not that Inuyasha won't help himself or help Sango help him, the problem is that Sango doesn't know how to ask questions or listen to her patients. If she did she wouldn't be concentrating solely on depression and using circular logic for her advice. It's obvious that Inuyasha wants to talk, because he'll talk to Kagome. Really Sango needs to peel away the bandage instead of ripping it off all at once like she's been doing. I'm just waiting for someone to give Sango the verbal smackdown that she needs. And is Inuyasha's mother out of the picture somehow? I don't see a doting mother not visiting her son in the hospital or allowing the calendar to be put out. It seems like his family wants nothing to do with him unless it makes them money, which isn't doting in the least. So, the deadly mistake... Did Kikyou accidently curse him to make him human or something but instead of him being human, she gave him a death sentence that has to do with the new moon? (Hey I had to get another crackpot theory eventually. Not that you'll give an answer even if it is right.) I can see how that could send someone to the loony-bin.
It might be his breath… Hmm… you'll just have to wait and see, won'tcha (btw, sorry about word usage confusion.)? …Finally… Someone realized that Sango is in no way fit to work with mentally disabled people… You can't just take a look at someone, ask them a single question, and say you know what their problem is; I know, a doctor did that to me once…er—twice (same doctor). Nah, she's there, just not there... does that make sense? She is doting… there's a reason she isn't there “doting” her son with daily visits (Inuyasha would probably die if she did that…) …LoL! No, don't worry, she didn't curse him… and, yes, I'm sure that wouldsend someone to a looney-bin.
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Sixteen: Youkai Conscience
 
-
 
-
 
`Will I survive? That's the real fear I should have.'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Inuyasha groaned as he slowly woke up to a stream of sunlight from the window in his eyes. `That hurts.'
 
He flipped over to face the wall.
 
`Okay now, get up and dressed; it's getting late.
 
`Who the hell are you, my mother?'
 
`Nope, I'm your youkai voice, you know, the intelligent one?'
 
`Just be qui- - - where are my clothes. . .?'
 
`On the dresser over there.'
 
Inuyasha grudgingly left the bed, retrieved his clothes, and got changed. `Stupid wench. . . ruining my head.'
 
A sigh came from his youkai voice. `How did she ruin your idiotic head? She didn't touch a thing. Believe me. I know. There's nothing there to touch.'
 
`Not physically. I can't. . . well, I can't get her out of my head. . .'
 
His answer was an exasperated sigh.
 
The hanyou had barely sat down before there was a knock at the door. “Inuyasha. . .? Can I come in. . .? You're awake, right?”
 
“Yeah, it's okay,” he got up and scampered over to the metal door, awaiting the sound of her ID going through the scanner.
 
`If I hadn't been awake, would I have answered her. . .?'
 
`Nope.'
 
`I didn't think so. . .'
 
The quiet `click' came, and Inuyasha opened the door before Kagome could blink an eye.
 
“Oh. . . you surprised me. . .”
 
“Yep.”
 
Kagome face wrinkled with worry. “Are you okay? You seem tense.”
 
“Never better.”
 
“Oh. . . well, here's your breakfast.” She placed the tray on the stand that was barely an arms-length away. “Now I get my question.”
 
Seeing the expression on her face, Inuyasha's eyebrows drew up. “I think I'm afraid. . .”
 
Kagome roller her eyes in reply. “Tell me about this. . . `MenouMaru' person.”
 
“That's not a question.”
 
Kagome paused before smiling, ignoring his cocky statement. “Are you going to tell?”
 
“He was my. . . first friend. I met him when I was about five.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah. . . but after several years, he became a bastard. He was always so cocky and trying to out-do me at everything. Always trying to take away what I liked and cherished.”
 
“What did he do?”
 
“He wrote; he's about three years older than me. He writes poetry and illustrates it.”
 
“Sound nice. . .”
 
“Sure it does. But he isn't all that nice.”
 
“Oh. . .” for some reason, she felt that subject shouldn't be tampered with. Kagome bit her lip gently, totally lost at what to say. “I guess I should go.”
 
She turned and - with Inuyasha opening the door - left his room.
 
In only a matter of milliseconds, Inuyasha felt completely alone.
 
*
`I should've tried to make her stay a little longer. . .'
 
`Why?'
 
`At least when she's around I'm not feeling so. . . isolated.'
 
`Isolated? You felt worse before, remember?'
 
Inuyasha sighed. `I know. I already told you: I'm in trouble. I've come to need her. . . somewhat. I would definitely be better off without her.'
 
His youkai sighed as well. `You don't feel isolated, and you know it.'
 
`Then what do I feel, oh, magnificent one?'
 
`You know that, too, oh, great idiotic baka.'
 
`. . . Should I be offended or complimented?'
 
`Only you would take that as a compliment. . .'
 
`And only you are stupid enough to not shut-up.'
 
Sighing for the umpteenth time in only a matter of minutes, Inuyasha leaned back against the wall as he sat comfortably on his bed.
 
`I feel like listening to some good music. . .'
 
`Tell me you're joking.'
 
`I'm not, actually.'
 
`You like that ear-breaking junk?'
 
`Watch what you're calling ear-breaking, ear-breaker.'
 
`And you call me annoying?'
 
`Yep.'
 
`. . .I'm feeling a bit violated here.'
 
Inuyasha wasn't sure what was meant by that. `I'm lying down, and when I do, you will shut-up.'
 
`We'll see about that.'
 
Doing his best to stifle a growl, the irritated hanyou flopped down into a stiff laying position.
 
` . . . Why did you tell her about MenouMaru?'
 
`Don't know what you're talkin' `bout.'
 
`Of course you don't. How could I forget that an evil green blob makes you talk about things that aren't anyone else's business?'
 
`I have to say, your sarcasm isn't appreciated at this time, thank-you very much.'
 
`Yeah, okay, fine. That's not an answer to my question.'
 
`. . .Do you have a point?'
 
A very peeved and ferocious growl came from his youkai. `Answer. The. Question.'
 
`I don't know.'
 
`You don't?'
 
`No, I mean. . . she just seemed to want to know so badly. . . I thought maybe she did want to know.'
 
`That's fine; but you do know that if you told her - which you will not - that she most likely won't understand what you're even talking about. . . And if by some miracle she can translate the youkai tradition, then she won't be able to help, right?'
 
`. . . It sounds so weird when you say it.'
 
`You won't tell her.'
 
`Just for that, I might.'
 
`Do it and I'll. . .'
 
`You can do a damn thing to me.' Inuyasha contradicted.
 
`Here's a question: do you remember why you despise MenouMaru?'
 
`Hell, yes. He totally fucked up my life.'
 
`Yes, he did. Do you know why, though?'
 
`No. I didn't do a thing to him.'
 
`So you're saying you didn't deserve what you got?'
 
Inuyasha sneered. `Duh.'
 
`And here I was starting to think that you actually had brains. Here's a hint: Monique.'
 
`Monique? You mean that American woman? What about her?'
 
`Now I know you're an idiot. Here's how it went, please make sure to pay attention.'
 
Inuyasha growled in response. `You keep acting like this and I'll cut you out of my head. . .'
 
`Baka. It was two years ago. Are you still with me?'
 
`Jack-ass. Continue or shut-up.'
 
`MenouMaru had just finished up his first big project. You and he had a fight and you weren't speaking to each other - though that's no surprise, you were never getting along with him after a while.'
 
`I thought I told you to continue the story or shut-up.'
 
`Wha-atever. Anyway, you decided to tell Monique some things about MenouMaru that weren't too. . . flattering.'
 
`Bastard has too many things against him.'
 
`Monique got pretty upset and left. MenouMaru was pissed.'
 
`Yeah, I wonder why?'
 
`You know full-well that he had a soft spot for her and was planning to take her as his mate.'
 
`Actually, no, I never did.'
 
`Monique never even gave him the time of day, even after he groveled for her forgiveness.'
 
`I don't think I'd be too happy, either, if I were her.'
 
`Starting to feel guilty?'
 
`Keh!' Inuyasha snorted. `Nowhere near.'
 
`You did this to her and yourself.'
 
`No, I didn't.'
 
`Think about it. You know who's at fault, don't you?'
 
Inuyasha didn't answer, but, instead, thought about what happened as he slowly ate his breakfast. For once, he thought maybe his youkai was right. . . Maybe.
 
`Hell, screw it. It was her fault, not mine. I didn't make her do anything.'
 
He sighed before stretching out his cramped legs, desperately ignoring the one statement that burned in his head: Actions speak louder than words.
 
*
 
*
 
“Onee-san. . .”
 
“Sh-h!” Hushing the girl, Kagome knocked on the door. “Inuyasha?” She slid her card through the reader, just to come face-to-face with the said hanyou.
 
“What is. . . it? . . .Wench?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Is that- - -?”
 
“Ellen? Yes, it is,” Kagome kneeled down to the girl's level. “Will you say hi to Inuyasha?”
 
Ellen smiled shyly. “H- hi, Inuyasha- a.”
 
“Hey.”
 
“Onee-s- san?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“I- I'm hung- gry.”
 
Kagome smiled brightly. “Inuyasha, do you mind if Ellen eats with you today?”
 
“I don't see why not.”
 
Ellen clapped her hands before darting over to hug the hanyou around the legs.
 
Looking down, he asked curiously. “What are you doing?”
 
The girl backed off and turned to her nurse. “Can I eat now?”
 
Kagome bit back a laugh when she saw the look on Inuyasha's face when Ellen had ignored his question. She nodded and grabbed the chair from the small desk-stand and placed it near Inuyasha's bed.
 
Ellen vigorously flopped into the chair while Inuyasha followed grudgingly to his bed. Handing Ellen her tray and Inuyasha his, Kagome sat on the comforter between the two patients.
 
Inuyasha wasted no time in shoveling his lunch into his mouth. Ellen daintily nibbled on hers as she poured out questions. “A- are you th- the reason why on- one-chan is l- late sometimes- s?”
 
Inuyasha chewed his sandwich as he quirked his eyebrow. Swallowing his food, he asked her, “How often is she late?”
 
The little girl considered that. “N- not that of- often.”
 
Satisfied with that answer, Inuyasha dove back into his meal.
 
“Will you b- be my fr- friend?”
 
`Aw, damn. Now what?'
 
`Just say yes.'
 
Inuyasha smiled patiently at the girl. “Sure.”
 
Her smile, if possible, brightened. “I gave m- my pict- t- ture to Mommy.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah!”
 
“How did you do that? I thought she was- - -”
 
“She i- is. I g- gave it to m- my grandmother wh- who promised t- to M- Mommy.”
 
“Of course.”
 
Kagome kept quiet the entire meal, allowing the conversation to continue.
 
*
 
“Okay Ellen, it's time to go.”
 
The girl pouted. “A- A few m- more minutes, nee-s- san?”
 
“No, we're running late.”
 
The little girl deflated and Kagome grabbed the two lunch trays as well as Inuyasha's breakfast tray. “Aw, it's okay. You'll see Inuyasha again.” Kagome paused as the hanyou opened the door for her and Ellen to go through.
 
“I'll be right back. You have an appointment with Sango and I still need to ask you a question,” Kagome called over her shoulder as she continued down the hall.
 
Inuyasha rolled his head on his shoulders to loosen the muscles as he made his way back to his bed.
 
`Make sure not to tell her anything important.' His youkai voice snapped at him.
 
`Did you notice Ellen isn't stuttering as much?'
 
`Yes, I have. Now, back to the subject: only answer questions that are- - -'
 
`I wonder why she's here. . .'
 
`I don't know! Now stop- - -'
 
`She doesn't seem to have anything wrong with her. . .'
 
`Will you be quiet?'
 
`D'ja say something?'
 
`. . . I give up.'
 
`Did you know I'm feeling a bit happier than I used to?'
 
`You should be wallowing in guilt. . .'
 
Inuyasha blinked his amber orbs in surprise, `Huh? Why?'
 
`Sometimes I wonder if you ever listen to anyone besides yourself. . . MenouMaru.'
 
`What about the bastard?'
 
`You do know that you caused him grief as well, right?'
 
`I did?'
 
`Oh for the- - - Screw it. We never had this discussion.'
 
`Whatever, Kagome's coming. . . make sure not to tell her anything important, okay?'
 
`. . . I'll just go kill myself now.'
 
`I don't feel for MenouMaru. . . not after what he did to me.'
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
Sorry! A million apologies! I was going to update sooner, but I was so into my summer . . . I'll update regularly from now on—that's a promise!
 
Oh btw, I gave all the clues as to what happened to Inu, now you have to put two and two together. If you don't get anything, then you'll have to wait several chapters until something else major comes out. Now review, please!
 
Ja ne!