InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Afternoon Fun ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I'm not even going to write one since we all know who really owns him . . . Me . . .! Okay, not really, Rumiko Takahashi does, although I wish I do . . .
 
A/N: Ugh. I have an announcement to make. I think (think, people, think) I'm somewhere around the halfway point of this story. . . But then again, maybe I'm not. . .
 
~reviewers~
Oh. My. God. Sango almost seemed like she knew what she was doing. (It's just too bad she didn't think about taping her sessions so she wouldn't have to worry so much about note taking.) Did Naraku do some shape-shifting? Is the real Sango tied up in a closet somewhere? I don't buy that she would improve so much after one talk with her boss, and isn't that the sort of thing Kaede should have been doing with her anyway? If she has time to intrude on her patients' personal lives surely she can give her interns helpful advice. I mean, she could if she wasn't obviously a quack that is. And wow, does Kagome ever suck at 20 questions. She didn't really find anything out and wasted like a quarter of her questions accidentally. Inuyasha also makes it sound like he single-handedly made being a Hanyou acceptable, or at least helped in a big way. Is he exaggerating, cause if he's not... Damn, no wonder he's there. That's a lot to live up to. I mean, what can you possibly do in your life that would measure up to that? His life peaked before he hit puberty. And what he did to Menomaru... Not nearly as bad as I had imagined. (I thought he seduced the girl or something.) Not that talking shit about your friend to their girlfriend is a great thing to do, and he obviously needs to learn to take responsibility for his actions, but if THAT was enough to end the relationship, it wouldn't have lasted anyway. They would never have gotten passed living together, when they'd discover that the little flaws would become huge deals worthy of screaming matches late into the night.
::Cough:: Not too sure if Sango's bright enough to do that now, then, or ever. LoL! No, don't worry that was the real Sango. Hmm, yes, I don't think that someone would suddenly become an expert at something they suck at with one talk from their boss, either, so don't worry. Yeah, she should have been doing that, anyway. Maybe she could. . . if she had any good advice. (And wasn't a quack, as you pointed out.) ::Cough:: Um, yeah, I suppose she could try to at least plan out her questions so that she'd gain something. LoL! He might be exaggerating. . . you'll find that out in the story. Although I wouldn't bet on it that he was. . . being different sets you apart from others and he had to find a way to either fit in or to make a place of his own. Heh, I didn't say what he did exactly to piss of MenouMaru and mess up his love life. The relationship might have lasted a long time if Inuyasha hadn't opened his mouth. But I know I wouldn't be too happy if someone did that to me about my boyfriend—but I wouldn't have let something like that make me an anger-management problem person.
Is Inu really still saying kikyo's his friend? By the way what did she do? I really do enjoy your storie. Keep it up.*_~
Yep, that's what he's sayin'. Sorry, can't tell ya what she did—it would ruin the idea of the story! ^_~ Thanks, that really made my day!
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Eighteen: Afternoon Fun
-
 
-
 
`She hates me. . . she thinks I'm a monster. . . MenouMaru, are you happy you fucked up my life?'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Inuyasha whimpered as his eyes grew heavy. He couldn't remember a time that he had felt so surrounded with feelings of caring.
 
He gave a yawn that came out as a sigh before relaxing against the mattress he had placed himself upon. For some reason he grew tired only a few minutes after Kagome left and had decided to lay in bed for awhile to rest his body up a bit.
 
His eyes and mind gave away into a blissful oblivion of darkness as he fell to sleep.
 
*
 
Inuyasha smirked as MenouMaru left the room. He didn't miss the warning glare that was sent to him.
 
`Like I care.'
 
He heard the rustle of paper and turned to look at the person beside him.
 
`What does he see in her?'
 
Monique. That was her name. She had arrived at MenouMaru's house seconds after Inuyasha arrived, himself. He had heard MenouMaru tell him about her on many occasions, yet he never really heard him. But he had been surprised when MenouMaru answered the hesitant knock on the door.
 
Elbow-length dark brown hair with a slighter lighter shade of highlights was the first thing he noticed. The second was her different eyes. A mixture of green and blue, they seemed to hypnotize MenouMaru.
 
“Hey, happy birthday,” she mumbled as she walked over to him and planted a small kiss on his cheek.
 
Inuyasha couldn't resist rolling his eyes and grumbling at the show of affection.
 
“Hey, I don't complain about you and your girlfriend, do I?” MenouMaru had growled at Inuyasha.
 
For some reason, having MenouMaru call Kikyou his girlfriend only served to worsen his already sour mood. The argument they had had earlier about trivial things such as the best color to describe a setting sun, what type of flowers best flattered a girl, and even what color pajamas was best to wear when one was sick was still hanging in the air between them, crackling and fizzing with new vigor.
 
“Keh,” he'd replied as he stubbornly snapped his gaze away from them to the floor and closed his eyes, determined to ignore MenouMaru for the night, if possible. He didn't want to come, to begin with. The only reason why he'd come was because MenouMaru had asked Inuyasha to come while Kikyou was around. And Kikyou had hinted on going away for the weekend with him.
 
Inuyasha now kicked himself for letting MenouMaru trick him into coming. He knew from the start, when he was first asked to show, that MenouMaru was simply taunting and would rather have his presence absent, and the attempted hidden look of horror that could easily of been mistaken for any other emotion proved that when Inuyasha had reluctantly agreed to come. . .
 
`What a mistake that had been.'
 
True enough, Monique nervously played with the wrapping of MenouMaru's unopened present that she was clutching on her lap. He didn't even flick his gaze to her when he decided to make conversation.
 
So tell me, exactly, how did you meet my little friend?”
 
Her gaze met - or would have met, had he been looking at her - his and she smiled. “I was having some trouble with a taxi - Not perfect with your language, yet.” She laughed softly and Inuyasha gave a monotone - though she couldn't tell - laugh, as well.
 
“Yeah. . . Hey, you want to know something really interesting about your future mate and hubby?”
 
Her bright smile was his answer.
 
Inuyasha chuckled, appearing friendly. `Just you wait, MenouMaru; call this a little taste of payback.'
 
“It happened just a little ago- - -”
 
“Inuyasha!”
 
“- - -met- - -”
 
“Hey, Inuyasha?”
 
“- - -know- - -”
 
“I said, Inuyasha! That means you need to wake up!”
 
The memory fell silent, but darkness of sleep remained.
 
“Inuyasha! Wake up, or else!”
 
The hanyou's eyes fluttered for a few seconds before opening. “Eh?”
 
“Ah, so the dead wakes.”
 
Inuyasha sat up. “Kagome. . .?” he mumbled. “What are you doing here?”
 
“Aw, what a greeting I get,” she teased. “I'm here to take you out for an afternoon of fun.”
 
He stifled a yawn. “Isn't it a little late?”
 
“Nope,” Kagome shook her head. “It's only about two, and dinner isn't until about six.”
 
“Oh. . .”
 
“So, do you want to?”
 
“ `Want to' what?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Go out for the afternoon.”
 
“Oh. . . why not? Unless of course you plan to kill me or something.”
 
“Dog-boy. . .! Hey. . . now that you mention it, that would be a good way to- - -”
 
“Oi, wench!” Inuyasha whined. “That ain't very nice.”
 
Kagome wrinkled her nose. “And `ain't' isn't in the dictionary nor should it be in your vocabulary.”
 
“Keh. Not like you're my mother,” he grumbled.
 
Kagome giggled. “Come on.”
 
Inuyasha gave a long-suffering sigh. “The things I do around here for. . . for nothing.”
 
“Aw, so sorry.”
 
“Let's just go,” he remarked dryly.
 
Kagome unlocked the door, Inuyasha opened it, and they started down the hall.
 
*
 
*
 
“. . . This is what you meant by `afternoon of fun'?”
 
“Oh, come on. This is fun,” Kagome argued as she ripped off another small bit-size piece of bread and tossed it.
 
“. . . Kidding me, right?”
 
“No. . . Why don't you join me?”
 
“Keh!” Inuyasha huffed. “I'd rather be sent to my death.”
 
Kagome shrugged as she threw another hunk of bread. “Your loss.”
 
There was a pause before Inuyasha slowly turned his gaze to Kagome's hand - that was tossing another bite of bread. His eyes traveled with the morsel. Lightly, it landed on the surface of water, sending ripples across the smooth surface of the lake. Barely half a second passed before there was a fluttering of wings and a small assortment of water birds were slapping at water with their delicate beaks, seeing which would reach the small meal first.
 
Kagome clucked her tongue, attracting some of the birds' attention as she flung another piece.
 
Inuyasha watched, idly fascinated at how Kagome seemed to enjoy feeding the ducks and a few other breeds of water fowl.
 
`Breeds. . . Just like me. . . but different. . . full breed, half breed. . . How- - - No, what's the line that separates them. . . besides blood?'
 
“Hey.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Why?”
 
Kagome's wrist abruptly stopped. The bread she had been about the throw slipped out of her hand from her stifled actions and rolled slowly down the bank into the waters. “What?”
 
“Why?” he repeated.
 
Kagome's brow crinkled in a frown. “What do mean by `why'?”
 
“I mean. . . why the park? Why feeding birds?”
 
“Oh. . . that easy.” Kagome returned to her task as she answered. “It's just. . . a great feeling you get, you know? Like they depend on you, and only you; that you bring them what they need. . . and yet I know they depend on themselves as well. . .” Kagome suddenly giggled. “Never mind. I'm not making sense.”
 
Inuyasha observed her silent actions for a few more seconds before asking, “Hey?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Um. . . Mind if I help?”
 
Kagome didn't answer but placed the clear plastic bag that contained most of the loaf of bread between them and she continued feeding the birds, smiling.
 
The hanyou pulled out a large slice of bread and ripped a smaller piece off. Glancing at Kagome he saw that she was engrossed in her task. He raised his arm up slightly, but froze. Peering in both directions, he made sure that no one was looking. Satisfied, he flung the bread in and pulled his arm back down in a blur of movement. He paused before once again looking around to make sure no one saw.
 
There was an eruption of giggles and Inuyasha turned to see Kagome breaking down.
 
“Your- - - face- - -fun- - - ny- - - actions- - - hilari- - - ous,” she managed between laughs.
 
Inuyasha huffed. “Ain't that funny, wench.”
 
Kagome clamed down and wiped her eye. “So you say. But you didn't see your face.”
 
He growled before pouting. “That's the last time I ever do that - It's childish!”
 
Kagome suddenly frowned and reached down for Inuyasha's hand. “No, please don't.” She uncurled his fingers and placed another small hunk of bread in his palm. “I'm sorry I laughed, but you don't need to be so cautious.”
 
“Keh. . .” his ears dropped.
 
“W- - - wait! What did I do?”
 
“Nuthin', it's just. . .” his voice drifted off.
 
“What?”
 
“I used to do this a lot. . . when I was a pup. . . with my mother.”
 
“Oh. . .” Kagome managed.
 
“I knew you'd think it was stupid. . .”
 
Kagome shook her head and smiled at him. “No, I don't. . . Will you still feed them with me?”
 
Inuyasha sighed but answered her by flinging the mini-meal into the water.
 
Kagome beamed and joined him.
 
*
 
*
 
“Well, that was fun!”
 
“Keh! That all depends on what you meant by `fun'!”
 
Kagome smiled and rolled her eyes. “Come on, Inuyasha! I know you enjoyed it. You were smiling the whole way back.”
 
Inuyasha huffed. “Was not.”
 
Kagome giggled. “I think I'm running a little late. I'll bring your dinner in a few minutes. See ya till then!”
 
Kagome slid her Identification card through the scanner and Inuyasha opened the unlocked door. Kagome mumbled something before giving a last good-bye and leaving.
 
*
 
*
 
“Come on! It's good!”
 
Inuyasha sputtered at the smell. “Good?”
 
Kagome giggled as she stopped teasing him and placed the tray on his desk stand.
 
“And now I get my question.”
 
Inuyasha moaned as he rubbed at his nose. “One torture after another,” he grumbled.
 
Kagome giggled. “It's not that bad.”
 
“Es ew, mench!” came Inuyasha reply, muffled from the mattress he had slammed his face into.
 
“Fine then. I'll put it on the other side of the room- - -” Kagome picked up the tray and clacked it down as far away from the hanyou as possible, “- - -and now I get my question.”
 
Inuyasha slowly picked up his head and sniffed the air. “Ugh, it's still there.”
 
Kagome pouted. “But my question- - -!”
 
“My nose.”
 
“Please?” Kagome asked, changing tactics.
 
Inuyasha glared. `No fair!'
 
“Keh! Fine. . .”
 
“Yes! Now. . . Why, exactly, am I not allowed to open doors on my own ?”
 
“Keh, I hate those damn things.”
 
“Why?”
 
Inuyasha sighed. `I should tell her that she only gets one question. . .' But the hopeful look in her eyes made him answer. “There are a few reasons, really. One is that I always used to get my ears shut in doors by accident- - - Oi! No laughing.”
 
“I can't help it!” Kagome giggled. After a few minutes, she managed to calm herself down enough to say, “Okay, please continue.”
 
Inuyasha's daze narrowed and he did continue, though he didn't stop glaring at Kagome. “The second is that my mother always slammed the door on her fingers when she wasn't thinking about what she was doing.”
 
Kagome winced. “Ouch.”
 
Inuyasha's ears flattened slightly. “Yeah, her fingers. . . so. . . purple.”
 
Kagome winced again. “Ow.”
 
There was a slight silence as Kagome thought about that. Finally, she said, “Well, your clothes are lying over there, on the stand, when you want them for tonight. . . And no matter what you say, Inuyasha. That dinner is perfectly harmless.”
 
Inuyasha snorted at that. “Yeah, right.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Tell me why you don't like it.”
 
“It's. . . spicy.”
 
Kagome blanched for a second. “How can you tell?”
 
“Keh! I can smell it wench!”
 
Kagome laughed softly. “Aw, poor hanyou. . . Shoot! I really need to go now, Inuyasha. See you tomorrow morning!” At that she left - with Inuyasha opening the door.
 
Inuyasha glared at the tray. `Nope, I think I'll just wait until tomorrow, thank-you very much.'
 
Sighing, Inuyasha changed into the change of clothes Kagome had left for him. `I know I wouldn't have changed later, anyway. . .'
 
The hanyou sat on his bed, wandering what he was going to do until it was time to sleep. . .
 
“Aw, poor hanyou!” The tone she used hadn't been mocking. . . it had been playful, gentle teasing. . .
 
`So. . . Kagome doesn't hate me, after all.'
 
`Baka, she never had a reason to.'
 
Inuyasha ignored the youkai voice as he changed to a lying position, a wave of sleepiness washing over him.
 
`Keh, Today wasn't. . . so bad.'
 
With that thought in mind, Inuyasha fell into a peaceful slumber.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
Walla. I finally got off my lazy butt and updated!
 
Ja ne!