InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Letting Go, Moving On ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: -Stands on mountain, arms outstretched, looking up at sky triumphantly, paper in hand-
Finally! I've got the copyright of Inuyasha! I was up all night trying, but I got it!
-Sudden wind picks up . . . Paper slips out of grasp and flutters down into the river below. Few seconds pass as the tiny view of paper is ripped apart by current-
-Gasp–still in same position-
N–No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o -o-o -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o! -Screams to the sky-
A/N: Sorry `bout the disclaim–actually, I'm not going to apologize anymore, you all know I'm crazy . . . or, at least, you should know that by now.

Thankx for reviewing (as always!)! =) You really make my day.

AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65

A Dark Past

-

-

Chapter Twenty-Five: Letting Go, Moving On
-

-

‘Stupid wench, going and confusing me. . .’ With that, he fell asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“But. . . but. . . why?” Sango whined.

“It's best for now,” came the reply.

“But. . . I - I mean. . . why? Mr. Dai, I'm doing great! Everyone says so!”

The man winced. ‘Be nice and let her have her fantasy,’ he told himself.

From what he heard from a few patients and nurses, Sango wasn't doing. . . `great,’ as she said. . .

One patient had even tied a rope around his neck, stood on a chair and said he’d jump if Sango wasn’t gone by the end of the day. . .

Luckily, that particular patient hadn't been the brains of the bunch, and when he saw the plate of cookies nearby, he jumped over the employees’ heads, and practically tackled the table with the cookies. . .

At least no one was hurt. They just might need to replace the table.

An employee had even reported that a patient had grown an awful habit of taking knives and trying to `pretend’ to kill people. When questioned, the poor girl said that Sango told her she was growing up to be a serial killer. . . so the girl thought she should practice on people who scared or angered her. . . Needless to say, everyone was on her good side from then on, but that didn't change the fact that Sango had made a mistake.

The only hard thing in this whole situation was the fact that Sango was reluctant to give up her position.

“You have to,” he informed her. “It’s not my orders.”

Sango looked at him curiously. “Or Kaede’s,” he told her, reading the question in her eyes.

Her jaw clenched and she tensed. “You mean. . .?”

Sensing how the rest of the sentence was going to go when she drifted off, he nodded. “Yep.”

Sango swallowed. Hard decision; try and keep her job, most likely getting fired in the process, or back down, keep training, and wait to finish up her private psychological lessons with Mr. Dai - the best psychiatrist in the area. . .

“Fine,” she mumbled.

Mr. Dai smiled fondly at her. She was like a little sister, a stubborn sister, but a sister none the less. “Thanks for making it easy,” he told her, placing a warm hand on her shoulder. “One day you'll earn it back.”

Sighing, Sango turned and went in a random direction.

*

*

Kagome was sitting in the employee room, filling out papers on Ellen and Inuyasha's health and stability over the past week.

Has the patient given any signs of anger? Has patient shown any signs of deep depression and/or suicide? Stupid questions like that took up a whole page before actual questions were written.

Has patient been acting strangely? Has (s)he been giving any problems with medication, if (s)he has any? If so, explain (If problem continues, please go to Mistress Kaede). Has patient been receiving any visitations?

Kagome sighed before writing in more answers. These papers were nothing but a pain in the ass. Growling at the way the next page had the same question, merely worded differently, at least thirteen times, she wrote as fast as she could in her slanted, professional writing.

She barely noticed when someone joined her. Glancing up, Kagome's writing slowed, but didn't stop.

“Sango. . . hey, what’s wrong?” Kagome asked, concerned when she noticed Sango's reddening eyes.

“Noth- - -” Sango stopped when her words came out all scratchy and cleared her throat. “Nothing,” she tried again, her voice much leveler this time.

Kagome gave her a look, putting down her pen. “If it was `nothing’ I don't think you’d almost be crying.”

Sango tried to rub away the tears that were fighting to free themselves in vain. A few slipped out, causing Sango to rub harder.

“Hey,” Kagome murmured, standing and grabbing Sango’s hands before pulling them away from her face. “Stop, there's no use getting so wound up over something so stupid- - - well, actually, I don't know of it's stupid because you haven't told me what it is, but nevertheless. . .”

Sango sniffled before looking down at the ground. “I was fired.”

Kagome took a sharp intake of breath. `Oh. . .

`You can't say she didn't have it coming,’ a voice told her in a matter-of-fact tone.

`Be nice!’

I'm telling the truth! You know that Ellen isn't suicidal! And Inuyasha isn't depressed. . . he may be sulking, but that's not depressed.’

Kagome tried to give a smart reply, but at that moment, Sango's hold on her tears broke and they poured down, drenching her face. “You thought I should've been fired, too, didn't you?” she demanded in a voice that pleaded Kagome to say ‘no.’

“No! Of course- - -”

`I did.

“Not! You were. . .” Kagome thought of something to fill in the sentence with. Her mind tried to get her to say some. . . pretty mean stuff.

`You were awful! Kami-awful! Good thing they fired you!

`Shut-up!

“. . . great at being a psychiatrist.” Kagome swallowed the lump in her throat.

Sango sniffled again. “Well, they didn't exactly fire me,” she muttered, rubbing at one of her eyes, wiping away the last remnants of her tears.

“They. . . didn't? Then what did they do?”

“Mr. Dai. . .” Sango paused and swallowed to keep from breaking down again. “Mr. Dai released me from that position. Now I'll go back to being his assistant and he'll continue to train me.”

Kagome smiled reassuringly. “Then you’ll get another chance,” she assured the psychiatrist.

Sango’s chin almost trembled. “But I wanna continue with these patients. . . and Inuyasha. I know he’s depressed, but Mr. Dai doesn’t agree.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. `Aha, that's why. I should've known. . .

“I swear, Sango, you’re not missing much by treating these patients. . . You'll probably move on to be one of the greatest psychiatrists of the generation.”

Sango managed a small smile. “Thanks, Kagome, I feel much better.”

Kagome sighed gently before smiling. A sudden thought struck her, and she frowned suddenly, kneading her lip. “Uh. . . Sango?”

“Yes?”

“Uh. . .” Kagome paused, thinking of how to word it. “Uh. . . Have you ever been in a relationship?”

Sango bobbed her head. “Yeah, in high school.”

`So have I. . .’

“So, um, have you loved any of them?”

Sango shook her head, making a face. “Nah. . . I’ve never loved anyone. . . Well, maybe one person, but I haven’t dated him. . .”

Kagome shrugged. “Doesn't matter. How do you feel around him?”

Sango blinked twice. “Gosh, I don't know. All I can think of is. . . always happy. Eh, I’ll get back to you on that one.”

Kagome nodded. “Right, well, I better get going. The day is young and I've got to get Inuyasha and Ellen their breakfast.” Gathering her papers, Kagome left with a wave over her shoulder. “See ya!”

---

She was crying again. “You aren’t happy?”

“Kikyou,” Inuyasha growled. She always asked that, it was getting a bit annoying now. “You know the answer to that! And don’t go and change the subject! Why did you do it?”

“B- Because he said it was the only way! It would make it easier on you and your job!” she wailed.

“Since when in hell have you cared so much about my job?” Inuyasha demanded.
“When?!”

Kikyou sniffled. “I- I promised I’d do anything I could to help make it easier on you with your job. I- I promised! Inu-kun, I- I love you.”

Inuyasha sighed. “Too damn bad.”

Kikyou looked taken aback. “Wh-What?” she stammered.

“Any slight chance of a slight possibility of us getting together is now thrown out the window because of your stupidity!” Inuyasha hissed. “I can’t believe you’d even consider it!”

“But he said- - -”

“If he told you to jump off a bridge because it’d help me with my job, would you do it?”
A determined expression etched itself to Kikyou’s face and Inuyasha held up a hand to stop her from answering. “No, wait. I don’t wanna know the answer. But the fact remains that youkai mate for life! I've told you that? What made you think it’d change just for you?!”

His harsh voice struck harder than any physical blows could. “I- I thought. . .”

Inuyasha shook his head in disgust. “No, Kikyou, you didn’t think, that’s the problem.”
With that, he stormed out of her house.

---

He could feel the sun's warm rays before he opened his eyes to see them.

`Early,’ his mind mumbled sleepily.

`Yeah, it’s morning,’ came a smart reply.

Inuyasha almost groaned. `Oh, no. You’re still here.

`What do you mean by that?!

“Just shut-up and let me sleep,” he grumbled.

`Did you have a nice dream?

Inuyasha’s sleep-bleared mind suddenly cleared. `Shut the hell up.

`Was it. . . another memory?’ The voice seemed to taunt him.

`I swear if you don't shut-up I'll- - -

`Shut-up and open the door.

Inuyasha blinked. In his thoughts, he hadn’t heard the lock. Kagome was coming in. He smoothly jumped to his feet before trekking over and opening the door.

Kagome smiled up at him. “I was wondering if you’d ever come,” she told him, coming in and putting his tray down on his nightstand.

Inuyasha blinked twice, surprised. “You were waiting?”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Well, I knew if I hadn’t, I would've never heard the end of it from you.”

Inuyasha’s cheeks pinkened. “Keh!” he huffed.

Kagome laughed at his expression. “Da poor hanyou needs to answer to answer a question for his breakfast!”

“Wha- - -? Keh! Hell no, wench. I ask mine first!”
Kagome opened her mouth to protest but Inuyasha held up a hand. “Or I won't answer any more questions,” he threatened.

Kagome glared at him. “Fine.”

Inuyasha grinned triumphantly. He thought of something to ask.

`Ask her about her family,’ his youkai advised.

`Oi! It's my question, not yours, and I ain't wasting it!

`Then ask her something reasonable.

Inuyasha was about to retort to that remark when a thought struck him. “You said you had a boyfriend. . . right?”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “No, I didn’t.”

Inuyasha almost stamped his foot. Plan A wasn't going to work. . . “Fine then, did you ever have a boyfriend?”

Kagome nodded. “Yep, in high school.”

Inuyasha stifled a growl. “Name?”

Kagome grinned. “That wasn’t part of your question.”

Inuyasha blew his cheeks out, swearing profanities without opening his mouth. “It was implied!”

Kagome giggled. “Fine, fine; his name was Hojo.”

Inuyasha nodded, satisfied. `Now I know who to kill when I get out of here: Hojo.

`Why do you care?

Inuyasha sputtered. `I- I don't! I just. . . I think I know him.

`Uh-huh, right. We'll go with that. . . Jealous, aren't you?

`There ain't nothin' to be jealous over!

`. . . How's the weather in denial?

“Um, Inuyasha?”

`Shut-up!

“Why are you growling like you’re going to kill someone?”

Inuyasha snapped out of his thoughts. “Sorry, what?”
Kagome gave him a look. “You were growling. . .”

Inuyasha nodded sarcastically. “Yeah, youkai do that.”

“But you sounded like you were ready to kill.”

`Oh. . .?

An amused chuckle rang through his head.

`Not a word,’ he growled to his youkai.

Inuyasha shrugged in - what he hoped was a - nonchalant way. “Just thinking.”

“Well. . . do I get my question now?”

The hanyou nodded. “Yep.”

“Okay. . . um. . . so, any secrets I don’t know about?”

Inuyasha merely gave her a blank stare. “And I’m just going to come out and tell you this because. . .?”

“Because I asked you!” Kagome answered as if the answer was as obvious as two plus two.

Inuyasha snorted. “Uh-huh, that’s going to convince me to tell you.”

Kagome's face brightened. “So you do have one!”

Inuyasha almost choked on air. “What the hell? You tricked me!”

Kagome looked away innocently. “Well, I knew you wouldn’t just. . . tell me. I had to!”

Inuyasha snorted again. “Last time I ever trust you. . .” he grumbled.

Kagome gasped. “Oh, before I forget! You have an appointment at the councilor’s.”

Inuyasha gave Kagome a look. “What makes you think I’m going back to see Sango?”

Kagome almost fell over forward. “I can’t believe I forgot to tell you! Mr. Dai took his place back.”

Inuyasha made a hand movement that gestured for her to continue. “Meaning. . .?”

Kagome tried not to smile at his curious expression. “Sango was let go.”
------------------------------------------------------------ ----- ---------------------------------------------------------
(E/N: Hi!!! I'm the new editor!!! Since our favorite author has issues, I am editing for her. ~looks all proud~ Also when she asked me to edit for her she asked for a drum roll. Well let's just say the drummer is now a zombie. ~waves at zombie~ Yeah, I kinda killed him. Soooo he is our mascot!!! Yep we've got a mascot!!! All we have to do is give him a name. Alright I guess I'm babbling again. Soooo I'd better let you go. Ohh and if you don't review I'll have the zombie attack you!!! REVIEW NOW!!!!!!!!)

Yes, erm, that was my editor. We’re both permanently hyper. U_U;; And, yes, I’m trying to update every chapter asap, but my computer is mental… my Internet somehow went on vacation and left my computer… then, a few days later, it came back… Poof, it was there… -scratches head- I’ve learned not to ask questions…

Ja ne!