InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Phone Calls ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Do I really have to write it? You know what? I won't. Go back and read the one from the last chapter if you want to so bad. . . .
A/N: Thankx to everyone who reviewed!

AGE:
Inuyasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65

A Dark Past

-

-

Chapter Twenty-Six: Phone Calls
-

-

Kagome tried not to smile at his curious expression. “Sango was let go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha almost jumped up with excitement. “Finally!” he breathed happily, looking totally relieved. “Someone listened to me!” He looked up and seemed to mutter all the good things he was going to do for having his `prayer’ answered.

Kagome thought he looked like a little boy that had finally been given the toy he had been wishing to get for a long while. “You’re being mean,” she reminded him.

Inuyasha snorted, looking down at her. “You actually think I care? I’ve been waiting since she had started that position for the day she’d be fired.”

Kagome frowned. “She wasn’t fired.”

Inuyasha waved her comment away. “Close enough. The point of the matter is I won't see her anymore.”

She gave him a pointed look. “How mean can you get?”

The hanyou rolled his eyes. “You need to shut-up now.”

Kagome opened her mouth to protest, but Inuyasha interrupted her before she said even a word. “No, I’m serious. You really need to shut-up.”

Her jaw tensed as she glared. “Why don’t you shut-up when I tell you to?”

Inuyasha huffed. “Keh! Ain’t it obvious? I’m dominant.”

Kagome merely stared. “. . . Dominant?” she echoed.

“Yeah, you know, as in- - -” he cut himself off as he blinked twice.

“ `As in’ what?” Kagome prompted.

The hanyou’s golden eyes narrowed in a glare. “Shouldn't you be somewhere else?”

Kagome froze as she thought. After a moment, her eyes widened. “Shoot! I’ve got to get Ellen to her session!”

With that, she whirled and unlocked the door, Inuyasha hastily opening it, and she hustled down the hall. “I’ll be back in a few minutes to take you to Mr. Dai!” she called as she
turned the corner.

Inuyasha made a face as he turned, closed the door, and sat in his bed.

The moment his flesh touched the bed, his youkai chuckled. `Dominant, now, are we?

Inuyasha growled. `Let it go.

`You’re embarrassed, aren't you?

Inuyasha flustered at that. `W- What gives you that idea?

His youkai laughed at him. `You’re embarrassed you told her you were the dominant- - -

`Don’t finish that!’ Inuyasha warned.

`- - -Mate; well, you didn't say ‘mate,’ but it was implied,’ his youkai finished, totally ignoring Inuyasha's comment.

Inuyasha groaned, face reddening even more. `Why can’t you ever shut-up? You can’t stop blabbering when I want quiet and you’re quiet as a doornail when I want your help. You’re messed up!’ Inuyasha whined.

There was a sigh, but no answer to that.

The hanyou growled. `You’re so fucking annoying.

`It's in the job description.

`Whatever.

`Oi, by the way, are you ever going to tell her about tonight?

Inuyasha sighed. `I can't. . . at least. . . not yet.

His youkai snorted. `You really are stupid, aren't you?

`What the hell do you mean by that?

There was no answer

*

*

“Can we go and v- visit Inuyasha?”

Kagome looked down at Ellen as they walked down the hall that led to the art room.
“Maybe. I’ll ask him if he minds you visiting later, okay?”

Ellen beamed. “Really?”

Kagome nodded. “Yep, really.” When Ellen giggled, Kagome frowned. “But no more sneaking away, okay?”

Ellen nodded in reply before trotting through the door where they had stopped. “See you l- later, Nurse Kagome.”

Kagome nodded before turning, sighing and making her way back through the halls. She had barely taken a step before her cell phone's ring tone flooded her hearing. Kagome pulled it out, continuing down the hall, and checked the caller ID. When it read anonymous, she froze, giving it a curious look.

`Who- - -?

Flipping it open, she answered, “Hello, this is Kagome Higurashi speaking.”

“Kagome?”

She rolled her eyes. “Isn’t that what I said?”

The voice chuckled. “Yes, well, just checking.”

`Wait a second. . .’ The voice sounded familiar. . .

Kagome gasped. “Miroku? Is this you?”

Miroku laughed. “Just now figured that out, Kaggy?”

“Don’t call me that,” she reprimanded. “And where in the seven hells have you been?”

“I told you, I was visiting my mother.”

Kagome snorted. “Last time I checked, the dead couldn’t rise.”

That shut Miroku up.

“I can’t believe you lied to me! On top of that, you dare take so long off? Where’ve you been?”

Miroku didn’t answer.

“You could at least grant me the courtesy of an answer, don’t you think?!”

Miroku sighed from the other end of the line. “I can’t tell you where I’ve been,” he muttered.

“Why not?” Kagome demanded.

“. . . Because. . .” he sighed; “because I left on orders.”

Kagome snorted. “On whose? Your own?”

“No! On. . . on. . .” he drifted off.

Kagome rolled her eyes. “I knew it.”

“No! No! Seriously,” Miroku defended. “I was ordered to- - -” He cut himself off, probably remembering he was about to tell her where he went.

Kagome sighed. “Alright; `fess up. You’re not going to tell me why you left, are you?”

Miroku seemed to think that question was safe, for after a pause he replied, “. . . No. . .”

Kagome frowned. “I should’ve known. Now I'm going to have to play in the dark to figure things out,” she grumbled darkly. “Okay, let’s see how to begin this. . . can you tell me if you were really called away?”

Miroku hesitated. “. . .Yes, I was really called away.”

Kagome glared at the wall. “Truthfully?”

“Yeah, truthfully. And before you ask, yes, I would bet my life on that answer.”

Kagome nodded, satisfied. “Okay, good. Now, can you tell me why you were called away?”

“No,” he answered automatically.

Kagome almost stuck out her tongue, but then remembered that he wouldn’t be able to see her even if she did. Instead, she gritted her teeth and asked, “Who called you away?”

“. . . Someone important.”

Kagome slowly breathed in before counting to three and letting it out. “Okay, can you tell me anything else about them?”

“. . . No.”

“Do they have anything to do with this center?”

“Yes. . .” Miroku hesitated.

“Okay, um. . . do they work here?”

“Not exactly.”

Confusion replaced Kagome earlier anger. “Uh. . . okay.” Kagome thought about that for several long seconds before growling and blurting. “Then what do they do?!”

Miroku gave a long pause before answering. “They own the center.”

“Own the- - -? What does that mean? Miroku? Answer me! What does that mean?”
She was talking to a dead line.

Miroku hung up.

*

*

Kaede rubbed her temple as she skimmed over one of the weekly-updated files on one of her more critical patients.

`Doesn’t seem to respond to orders. . . Doesn’t want to talk. . . Doesn’t- - -

Her thoughts were cut off abruptly as she answered the phone with a long introduction, a short speech, and a warm greeting.

The person on the line sighed in a sad manner. “Kaede, Miroku just told me something. . .” she murmured softly.

Kaede snapped to as she heard her boss's voice. “Yes?”

“He told one of your nurses a few things that should've been kept. . . under the table.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, so now we’re going to have to speed things up or she’ll figure it out and tell Inuyasha, then he’ll never get out!”

“Who, exactly, did he tell?”

“Inuyasha’s nurse.”

Kaede sharply breathed in. “Kagome.”

“Yeah, I think that’s what Miroku said her name was.”

“Will there be any punishment?”

“No, I don’t think it’s necessary. I've dealt with the problem already.”

“Okay, but I do have a problem here, myself.”

The woman on the line's voice became crisp. “Yes?”

“There's an indifferent patient here.”

“New?”

“Yes.”
“Then up their session with Mr. Dai to two hours twice a day, double on weekends and have Gin as her nurse. That woman’s skills with mentally retarded children are amazing. . .” she added as an afterthought.

“Yes, of course.”

“Now, I need to talk to you about Inuyasha. . .”

“You do recall his punishment is up in only a couple days?”

“Yes, I remember,” the woman on the phone replied tartly.

“So, in two days- - -”

“Begins the real treatment, yes. And I want to improvise on my earlier plan.”

“Yes?” Kaede asked.

The woman on the line sighed before beginning.

*

*

“Hmm. . .” Kaede mused. “It might need some tweaking on my part, but. . . that’ll most likely work. . .”

“I know!” the voice on the phone happily proclaimed. “I’ll have to get everything prepared, though, over here. . .”

“Understandable,” Kaede assured her.

“Yes, in only a few days. . .” the voice drifted off as she most likely started thinking about something.

“But. . . what to do with Kagome?”

“Leave her be. She’ll most likely succeed better if left to herself.”

“Understood.”

“And Kaede?”

“Yes?”

“This conversation. . . never happened.”
“Yes, of course. Good day.”

“Good day to you, too!” the woman chimed brightly before hanging up.

Kaede put the phone back on the cradle and returned to viewing the paperwork.

*

*

Kagome was brooding as she slowly returned to Inuyasha’s cell.

`Why did Miroku just hang up like that?’ she wondered as she turned a corner.

She didn’t have much more time to herself, since her cell phone’s ring tone went off in her pocket.

Kagome sighed before checking the ID - it came up anonymous again - and flipped it open with a bright, “Hello, this is Kagome speaking.”

“Oh, Kaggy, um. . .”

“Wait, Miroku? And don’t call me that! What’s up now?”

“Well, a slight problem. . .”

“Yeah?” Kagome’s stomach was getting hard - she didn't have a good feeling about what he was going to say.

“I. . . uh, won't be making it back for another few more days.”

“Wait, what?!”

There was a wince in Miroku's voice. “Yeah, uh, I was ordered to stay away longer for. . . important stuff.”

“What type of `stuff’?”

“Just. . . you know. . . stuff.”

“Miroku, I swear if you don’t give me a proper answer- - -He hung up on me!” she cried as she tore the phone away from her ear to glare at the screen, as though that would bring him back on to talk.

“If only I had your number. . .” she grumbled as she stormed the rest of the way to Inuyasha’s cell.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
(E/N: ~laughs hysterically. ~ That is soooo funny. I mean Kagome keeps having Miroku hang up on her. I know that you're all thinking she is insane. Well Sayo124 and I are both crazy!!!! Ok well review or you will have to listen to us have a boring conversation!!!!!!! Byez!!!!)

I'm ending it there, or I'd never end it.

-Sigh-
Btw, anyone else notice how the days in the story are taking up more chapters? It's only been a total of five days into Inuyasha's punishment! (Two more to go, Inuyasha!)

Ja ne!