InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ New Knowledge and Surprises ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: If pigs can fly, than I own Inuyasha.
::Random Farmer cries:: Catch that pig! *pig flies by*
. . .
Do I own–?
::Farmer:: No.
But–
::Farmer, a bit annoyed:: No.
I just saw–
::Farmer:: We're screening a movie, the pig's in a harness.
. . .
. . .
Dang it.
A/N: Another chappie . . . a little late, but it's arrived. And soon, the REAL angst, suspense, and plot will thicken . . . But for now, a little light-hearted “down” chappie! ;)

Dedication: I have reached 100 reviews (go me). Has it really been that long? Wow . . . there's only about 15 or so more chapters . . . This chapter is dedicated to siverwolf halfbeast, my 100th reviewer. ^_^
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65

A Dark Past

-

-
Chapter Twenty-Seven: New Knowledge and Surprises
-

-

“If only I had your number. . .” she grumbled as she stormed the rest of the way to Inuyasha's cell.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha's ears twitched before he stood and went over to the door to open it. She stormed in and plopped down on his bed.

Two things registered before Kagome even opened her mouth.

One: She looked a bit miffed.

Two: She was squeezing her cell phone in her fist as if it was the last thing on an alien planet.

“Uh. . . can I help you?”

Kagome gave the hanyou a glare before grumbling. “Any way you could kill Miroku?”

Inuyasha blinked twice before staring at the nurse for several seconds. Finally, he grinned. “Now you're speaking my language.”

Kagome merely muttered darkly about some things which included, `cutting `it' off.'

Inuyasha stared down at her. “Holy hell, wench. What did he do?”

Kagome growled before giving him a rabid glare. “He hung up on me.”

Inuyasha's face blanked. “Huh?”

Kagome repeated - with patience she was pulling out of her pocket, “While I was talking to him on the phone, he hung up on me.”

It took awhile for that to sink in, but when it did, Inuyasha burst out laughing.

Kagome - if possible - got even angrier. “What's your problem?!”

Inuyasha took several more seconds to chuckle like an idiot before he managed to rely, “You're getting angry over Miroku hanging up on you?”

Kagome gave the hanyou an icy glare. “Yes.”

“Why?”

Kagome turned to eye the nightstand for several seconds. `It won't hurt that much if I throw it at him. . .'

`Whoa, girl. Back up and take a few deep breaths.'

Kagome ignored the voice and continued to eye the piece of furniture.

Inuyasha, confused, examined her face before turning to see what she was looking at. After a moment, he returned his gaze to the nurse, then to the nightstand, back to Kagome, back to the nightstand- - -

It finally sank in as to what she was probably thinking and Inuyasha pouted. “Keh! Wench, I didn't even do anything!”

Kagome whipped her head around to stare at him. “Uh-huh. . . right.”

“I didn't!”

Kagome breathed in slowly, seemed to count to ten, and let it out. Finally, after a pause, she seemed to clam down. . .

And decided to cry about it.

“Oi, wench!” Inuyasha sputtered. “What's up with you?” `Is she PMS-ing?'

Kagome sniffled as a single, salty droplet of water slid slowly down her cheek. “I'm sorry I'm being difficult, Inuyasha,” Kagome sullenly muttered. “I just hate being hung up on when I'm talking on the phone.”

“I can see,” Inuyasha answered airily.

Kagome sniffed as she rubbed her eye. “ `M sorry,” she mumbled. “Stupid.”

Inuyasha's brow rose in question. “St- Stupid?” Inuyasha sputtered. `Wench is gone and insulted herself!' “The only `stupid' thing I see here is. . . well, nothing, but. . .” Inuyasha drifted off and shook his head. “Never mind. Will you just tell me why you were suddenly crying?”

Kagome sighed. “I guess,” she mumbled. “Ever since I was little, I've always hated it when someone would hang up on me when I was talking to them on the phone.”

Inuyasha thought about that. “Oh. . . okay. . . why?”

Kagome shrugged. “My father. . .” Kagome let the sentence drift off as she sighed and looked away.

“Your father what?”

The nurse blinked as her voice flattened slightly. “My father left my mother and me right after Souta was born. He left with `his sister.' ” Kagome paused to give an angry, sarcastic laugh. “Yeah, since when did he kiss his sister like a lover. . .? When did he get a sister?” Kagome shook her head disapprovingly. “Well, anyway, he left and maxed my mom's cards out, since he was in charge of most of our money and budgets. When he was broke, his `sister' left him. . . and he died. His health wasn't always the best, and the depression he was under got him sick, and that sickness killed him. . . I was little and didn't understand the. . . whole situation. My mother told me he was away on business. But. . . ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I would call him almost every day and ask him when he'd be coming home. . . when he'd come see me. I always said the same thing over again. I can remember I basically had the exact same conversation with him every time I called . . .”

*

“Are you coming home soon, daddy?” Kagome Higurashi asked her father excitedly.

*

“His life and happiness seemed to slowly drain away. . .”

*

Daddy will be home when he feels like going home.”

*

Kagome stopped to take a deep breath. “I, a naïve child, continued to question him.”

*

“How come I never met your sister before? Do I have an auntie?” Kagome thought of all her friends that had aunts. . . they always came to school showing off a present they had received as a gift. . . Maybe her auntie would give her gifts, too.

“Honey. . .”

*

“My father would always reply with the same, monotonous answers. . .”

*

“Don't you know when to mind your own business?”

“Do I?” the hopeful girl persisted.

“. . . If you have nothing important to tell me, then I'm hanging up- - -”

“No, daddy!” Kagome cried, horrified. “I have lots of important stuff to tell you.”

Her father sighed. “Then make it quick.”

“I got straight A's! And I'm going to skip over second grade and go into third!”

*

“I always told him something about my family an I, hoping he'd be so proud, he'd come home to see my little brother, who he hadn't seen in about a year, and the rest of us. . . I thought that maybe if he saw Souta and how happy we were as a family, he'd forget about his `business.' ”

*

“. . . That's great. Congratulations.”

“. . . You're proud?”

“Of course.”

“Then. . . guess what else?”

Her father sighed. “What?”

“Souta's started to walk. He's saying a few words, now.”

“Great. Tell Saby congratulations, too.”

Kagome giggled. “Daddy, his name is Souta!”

“Mm, right. Look, are you done wasting my time? I have other things to do.”

“Wait, I want to tell you one other thing. Mama said- - -”

She heard the dial tone, and wondered what it was. “Daddy? Are you still there?”

There was no answer.

Kagome giggled again. “Daddy, stop joking.”

There was still no answer.

When Kagome told her mother, her mother smiled and told Kagome it was time for ice cream shopping and that she could call her father again tomorrow.

*

“Every conversation I had with him was like that. He would always hang up on me when he found me `boring.' He died when I was around nine. When I grew up, I put two and two together and figured everything out.”

Inuyasha sighed. `Now what do I do?'

`Comfort her.'

`I knew that!'

`Then why aren't you doing it?'

`. . . Shut-up.'

Deciding to completely change the subject, Inuyasha asked, “Am I still going to Mr. Dai's?”

Kagome's head snapped in his direction. “Oh, shoot! Come on, Inuyasha. I think we're late!”

Inuyasha followed rushing nurse as slowly as he could.

“Will you hurry up?”

“Nope,” he replied, and he slowed his pace even more.

*

*

“That's all we're doing?”

“Yep.”

Inuyasha's brow creased in a frown. “. . . What's the catch?”

Mr. Dai's brow rose. “Now there's a catch?” He sounded highly amused.

The hanyou gave him a warning glare. “There has to be. . .”

He shook his head. “There's not.”

“. . . So, you're telling me that you're going to. . . examine me and if I pass as `sane' then I'm free to go?” Inuyasha sounded like someone just told him he was actually seeing in black-and-white.

Mr. Dai considered that for a second before answering. “Not exactly examine, so much as. . . inspect you. Like I'll check out your behavior and such, and after awhile if I gather that you, indeed, pass as `sane,' we'll see what we can do to get you out of here.”

Inuyasha gave him a skeptical look. “So there's really no catch?”

The psychiatrist nodded. “No catch, all you have to do is prove yourself.”

Inuyasha eyed him over before giving a single nod in reply. “If you say so,” he grumbled.
Mr. Dai leaned back in his chair and pulled out a small tablet. “Well, we'll begin our first session. All I want to do right now is get to know you since. . . well, since I don't really know you.”

The hanyou rolled his eyes. “Right.” `He's starting to sound like a male version of Sango.'
“Okay, Inuyasha. All I want you to do is tell me what you want me to know about you.”

“That's it?”

“That's it.”

Inuyasha gave him a look before shrugging. “If you say so.”

“Okay then, you can tell me whatever you want until the end of this session starting. . . now.”

The hanyou stared at the psychiatrist for a long pause before saying, “I hate this.”

Mr. Dai said nothing.

“Well. . . my brother's a bastard.”

Mr. Dai didn't answer.

“My father's a bit of an idiot.”

Still no answer.

“My mother must have been high to have married my father.”

The psychiatrist didn't even flicker an eye.

“My brother's a bastard. And my almost-sister-in-law must be crazy to find him appealing. Oh, and my brother's a bastard.”

Mr. Dai, sensing Inuyasha was done, nodded. “Anything else?”

Inuyasha thought about that for a second before saying, “Oh yeah, Miroku's a pain in the ass.”

Mr. Dai remained quiet for a long second as Inuyasha stared back at him. “Are you done?”

“Yep.”

“Positive?”
“Couldn't be more.”

“. . . So. . . is that all you're going to say?”

“Yep.”

Mr. Dai didn't seem to believe that, so he waited several moments. Inuyasha seemed to be in pure torture from boredom, though he didn't let on so Mr. Dai would figure it out.
Finally, the psychiatrist blurted, “There's got to be something else you can talk about.”
Inuyasha shrugged. “There's not.”

“There's always something.” Mr. Dai then suggested, “How about some of your past?”
The hanyou sent him a look. He rolled his eyes. “I don't mean anything like that; I mean you could tell me something about your childhood or something.”

“. . . Really now?”

“Yeah.”

“. . . Okay,” Inuyasha grinned. “When I was going into third grade. . .”

*

*

“I told her no, and of course she got hysterical. She claimed she owned everything of mine and said she'd sue. I told her I wanted her to leave me alone and that I'd put her in a funky farm if she didn't leave me be.”

Mr. Dai nodded before patting Inuyasha's arm and sighing. “Women are a bit. . . crazy, I'll agree.”

Inuyasha shrugged. Truth be told, he pulled that story out of his ass to shut the guy up - it never even happened. As well as to shut up Mr. Dai, Inuyasha had spun that tale to waste time. Mr. Dai checked his watch before nodding. “Time for you to go to your room and have some lunch.”

Inuyasha stood, stretching his arms. “ `Kay, so am I done for the day. . .?”

The psychiatrist shook his head. “You'll be back after dinner and then you'll head to your room for the night.”

Inuyasha gave a long-suffering sigh. “Of course.”

Mr. Dai went over to the door and opened it, inspecting the hallway. “Ah, Nurse Kagome, you weren't waiting long, I hope. . .?”

Inuyasha made his way to and stood beside the older man, peering into the hall. There stood Kagome, looking as happy as ever. “Ready to go?”

The hanyou shrugged. “I guess.”

Kagome gave a hearty good-by to Mr. Dai before walking with Inuyasha back to his room. “Did ya have a good time?' Kagome asked, sounding like a mother picking her child up from a birthday party.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “A blast,” he remarked sarcastically.

Kagome shot him a look before continuing on in silence.

*

*

“No!”

“W hy?”

“No way in hell!”

“. . . Please?”

No!”

“Aw, c'mon!” Kagome persuaded, “it'll be fun!”

“Fun?” Inuyasha echoed.

“Tons!”

Inuyasha gave her an once-over before giving a sigh. “Sure,” he grumbled.

Kagome beamed. “You won't regret it!” she assured as she left.

Inuyasha merely gave another sigh.

`The things I do for- - -' he cut his thought off abruptly.

His youkai chuckled, quite amused. `Let me finish that thought for you: The things you do for. . . love.'

`Nuh-uh! That so wasn't what I was going to say!' Inuyasha growled.

But even as he said that, he knew - just knew - he was too close to Kagome for anyone's safety.
--------------------------------------------------------------- -- ---------------------------------------------------------
(E/N: Awe that was a WONDERFUL chapter, wasn't it?? ~watches reader yell heck yes~ That's what I thought. So since it was awesome go REVIEW!!! I'll be happy and the zombie will be happy. Oh and HAPPY BELATED HALLOWEEN!!!! Go eat candy and get hyper.)

Since Kagome's temper hasn't been seen too often yet, I decided it was time to bring it out. OH! And the whole Kagome/phone/father thing isn't important with the plot, it's just there to help further the relationship between Kagome and Inuyasha–to show she trusts him and for him to learn more about her.

Well, please review! It helps to keep me going!

Ja ne!