InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ New Girlfriend ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I've joined a secret club that plans on taking Rumiko Takahashi out. And when she's gone, we'll fight over the copyright to Inuyasha. So, it's all a matter of time now . . .
A/N: Right now the only thing keeping me awake is a very large pot of flavored, caffeinated coffee . . . enjoy ze chapzerz ne ma . . . *head collapses against keyboard* *snore*
E/N: She's lying to you. She is really still up. Shhh don't tell her I told!!! ~hides behind tree~

AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65

A Dark Past

-

-

Chapter Twenty-Eight: New Girlfriend
-

-

But even as he said that, he knew - just knew - he was too close to Kagome for anyone's safety.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha was in pure agony.

However, seeing Kagome's happy mood was enough to force himself through it.

“How about this one?”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Whatever the hell makes you happy.”

Kagome bit her lip. “Or maybe this one. . .” she said, changing her mind just as she had been doing for the past hour.

“Sure.”

“Then again, I do like that.”

“Fine.”

“Oh! That one's so cute!”

“Then get it!”

Kagome darted from shelf to shelf looking for the perfect one. “It needs to look cute, be comfortable, and catch my eye,” she told Inuyasha.

“Then we'll get a potato sack.”

Kagome snorted. “Be serious.” She put the pink baby dress back on the rack.

“Tell me why we're here again?”

“To have fun.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Oh, yeah, I'm going to have fun in a baby store!”

Kagome gave an exaggerated roll of her eyes. “It is fun!”

Inuyasha wrinkled his nose as he saw her browse through a few frilly dresses. “Sorry, I'm not gay.”

Kagome made a face but decided against saying anything more about the subject. Instead, she continued to search through the outfits.

Inuyasha merely groaned. “C'mon, wench. Can we leave now?”

“No.”

“. . . Please?”

“No.”

“Geez, I said please!” Inuyasha huffed.

“That's nice, but my answer is still no.”

The hanyou gave a frustrated growl. “When someone says please you have to do it!”

Kagome gave him a look over her shoulder. “Oh, really?”

“Yes!”

“Right.” Kagome rolled her eyes. “We'll go with that.”

“Good, then we're leaving.”

“Sarcasm!” Kagome called to him.

Inuyasha whirled before giving a stony glare to Kagome. “We're leaving.”

Kagome quirked an eyebrow. “No.” She turned and resumed her search.

The hanyou's ears flattened. `Dammit, it didn't work!'

`Did you expect it to? `If you say please, you have to do it'!' his youkai mocked in a high voice.

`I do not sound like that!'

`Says you.'

Inuyasha growled. “Fine then, I'll deal with it! I'm a man,” he grumbled.

`Let's see how long you last.'

He stuck his hands in his pockets as he tried to patiently wait for Kagome.

A few seconds passed, and all he heard was the occasional screech of small coat hangers being pushed aside on metal stands.

He stifled a groan at the high-pitched sound.

`It's not that bad. . .'

There was another screech. And then a baby started wailing. And then someone bumped their cart into a small, metal stand, which fell over backward and created a domino effect with several others.

“Clean-up near the carriages; clean-up near the carriages,” a female voice announced several seconds later.

His ears flattened at the crackling in the speakers when the announcement was over.
He peeked at Kagome to see her comparing a light pink dress to the same dress only a darker pink.

“Which one. . .?” he heard her murmur.

“Why are we even here, wench?” Inuyasha called over to her.

The nurse glanced over her shoulder. “I told you already, for fun.”

Inuyasha huffed. “Keh! This ain't fun!”

“Of course it is!”

Inuyasha's shoulders sagged as his hope deflated slightly. He leaned against the shelves he was in front of, his head resting against the hard wood. He looked up towards the ceiling, only to see more wood. `Holy hell, how tall is this thing?'

He was pushing his head further back to see if he could tell when suddenly he wasn't leaning on anything anymore. He heard the loudest sound he probably ever heard and whirled around. No longer was there a set of shelves there, instead, they had fallen and squashed several other smaller clothes shelves. Though at this point, no one could tell what it originally was. All that remained was shredded baby clothes and splinters.

“Damn. . .” he muttered.

He heard a pair of feet shuffling towards him and turned in time to see Kagome grab his sleeve and - quite hastily - lead him out of the store and into her car.

“Thought you didn't want to go,” Inuyasha old her, a little smug.

She shot him a look as they continued. “Not funny.”

He shrugged. “I didn't say it was. All I'm saying is we're leaving that hell hole.”
Kagome ignored his comment as she pulled out of the parking lot, grumbling darkly to herself.

“I can hear you, ya know.”

Kagome wrinkled her nose. “Great, now you're an eavesdropper.”

Inuyasha sent her a look. “No, I don't `eavesdrop,' I have very good hearing.”

The nurse wrinkled her nose again. “Right, the dog ears. . .” she drifted off as though she thought of something and turned to stare at Inuyasha.

“Wench?” he growled, his grip tightening on the door frame.

She continued to stare. “Wench?” he asked a little louder, trying to attract his attention, his eyes straight forward.

Kagome seemed to almost be in a daze.

Wench!”

Kagome snapped back to reality. “What?”

Look at the road!”

Kagome looked up and saw she was in wrong lane with a huge tractor trailer coming at her. Quickly, she swerved back into her lane, getting a few annoyed honks.

“Smart,” Inuyasha told her, trying to calm his rapid pulse.

“Hey, I didn't get us killed, did I?”

“You almost did!”

“And you destroyed a lot of expensive clothing. We'll call it a day.”

Inuyasha sighed. “Whatever. . . wait a second. Wench?”

“What?”

“Where are we going?”

“Well the afternoon's still young, so- - -”

“Where are we going?” he cut her off to demand.

A small pause. “Oh, nowhere. . . special,” she replied with a grin.

*

*

Inuyasha was in serious torture now. “How dare you,” he grumbled.

Kagome shrugged. “Hey, on Thursdays, they have their mascot in here on stage pulling
adults up to dance; you should feel grateful I brought you here today.” She grabbed another slice of pizza and started to eat it.

Inuyasha, arms crossed, sat on the chair next to her. “I don't really want to hear it.”

A pack of kids herded by him. He turned to grab some pizza, only to find it was all gone.

“Wh- - - I wanted to eat some of that!” he bellowed after the rugrats that were now playing on the indoor jungle gym. Sitting back against his chair in a sulk-y fashion, Inuyasha grumbled, “Why the hell did you even come here of all places?”

Kagome took a long slurp of her soda before answering. “There's a reason, you'll just have to wait to find out what it is.”

Inuyasha sighed in frustration. “Everything is a secret with you! Just tell me!”

Kagome opened her mouth to answer, but someone else's voice filled his ears.

“Kagome!”

A second later, a boy around eleven or twelve practically jumped on Kagome.

“Kagome! I was looking for you for a while now!”

She feigned a look of shock. “Oh, no! Whatever shall we do?”

The boy let go of her and crossed his arms in a pout. “Hey. . .” he whined.

Kagome giggled before turning to face Inuyasha. “See, I told you we were waiting for somebody. Now, don't you think you were a little impatient?”

“No.”

Kagome glared at him. “This is my little brother, Souta. Remember I told you about him?”

“. . . No.”

Kagome gave an exaggerated roll of her bright eyes. “Well I did. I remember it.”

“I don't.”

She decided to ignore that particular comment.

Souta looked from the hanyou to his sister and back. “. . . Sis?”

“What?”

“That's your. . . boyfriend, right?”

Both Inuyasha and Kagome choked on air.

`What the hell?' Inuyasha mentally sputtered.

Kagome's face darkened to a pretty pink. “Souta,” she squeaked. “You don't go around asking people that.”

Her brother gave another look from Inuyasha to Kagome - who both had a dark flush. A grin broke out on his face. “Awww, sis, I didn't know you had a crush on- - -” he stopped for a second before looking over at the hanyou. “What's your name?”

“Keh! Like bloody hell a little twerp like you is- - -”

“Inuyasha, don't talk to my brother that way!” Kagome chided.

Souta got what he wanted, though. “Awww, sis,” he said again, “You have a cru-u-u-u-ush on Inuyasha!” He made it even more annoying by telling her that in a sing-song voice.
Kagome blinked several times before turning to face her brother, the blush coming back in full-force. “Souta! I'm never bringing you and your new girlfriend here again!” she squealed.

Souta's face turned from smug to horrified in half a second. He quickly scampered over to the huge indoor jungle gym without a second thought.

“Wow,” Inuyasha remarked, “cute kid.”

Kagome smiled. “Yeah, I kn- - -” she abruptly cut off, blinked, and gave the hanyou a sharp look. “Are you being sarcastic?”

“No,” he drawled.

“Shut-up!” Kagome whined. “He's my brother, and no matter how much I may want to plan his early demise, I still love him!”

“Okay.”

Kagome gave him a stony glare. “You're digging yourself in deeper!”

“Keh!” he huffed. “I'm not digging myself anywhere! I didn't do anything!”

“Then who did?”

“That brother of yours!”

“What did he do?” she defended.

“Called us lovers!” he yelled back.

Kagome's eyes narrowed even more into dangerous slits, a little hurt by that comment. “Oh, that's right, Mr. High-and-Mighty, you can't date girls that are lesser than you! You have to have a perfect slut! Well sorry for not fitting the description!”

Somewhere during the argument, both Inuyasha and Kagome had stood up, and they were standing face-to-face, with only a few centimeters separating them.

“That's not true!”

“Yeah? How are you going to prove it?”

“I don't have to!” Inuyasha replied haughtily.

“Then it's true!”

“It is not!” Inuyasha snapped. “And I will prove it!”

“How?” Kagome challenged.

“Simple! Since you're going on I'm too `high and mighty' to have someone like you be my girlfriend, I'll get a girlfriend!”

“How? You live at the center and you can't come out for dates!”

Inuyasha glared at her. “I know how we can fix this!”

“How?” Kagome demanded, her fury rising.

“Kagome Higurashi, you're going to be my girlfriend!”

“Fine!” Kagome burst, her frustration answering before she could comprehend the question properly.
------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------

(E/N: ~laughs manically~ we are pulling an all nighter because I have a cold and she felt like it. W00T W00T!!! I'm really hyper!!! Sooo review!!! Oh look a pony. ~chases pony off stage~)

Oh . . . sorry about the cliffhanger . . . I couldn't help it . . .

Congrats to my poor beta . . . she's sick, but she's still editing for me, even though her laptop ain't working. She deserves a pat on the back . . . and I'd give one to her, had I not been afraid she'd puke on me if I did so . . .

Ja ne!