InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Agreements and Ten Questions ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: ::Police escorting the club members to the police car::
W–Wait! When I said I was going to take Rumiko out, I meant I was going to give her a white dog she'd be fascinated with so she'd walk it forever giving me a chance to find those papers!
::Police officer:: Yeah, yeah, lady; we hear it all the time.
I'm serious!
::Police:: . . . I'm sure, now get in the car.
No, look, here comes Rumiko with her white dog we got her! Look! Behind you!
::Police:: How dumb do you think I am?
Seriously! Look! Look! *gets shoved in car and voice gets muffled by glass* Look! She's coming! *police get in and car drives away slowly as Rumiko walks by*
::Rumiko:: Cute doggy, you look like a dog version of Inuyasha! *walks away*
::Random member of club:: *starts running like a lunatic towards home* I got the papers! I got the papers! *gets knocked out by telephone pole . . . and papers drift into a sewer vent*
*sees all this through back window* *gasp* No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!
AN: I hear the coffee . . . soon I'll be awake . . .

AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65

A Dark Past
-

-

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Agreement and Ten Questions
-

-

“Fine!” Kagome burst, her frustration answering before she could comprehend the question properly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They both stood there, glowering at each other.

Each of their minds had different thoughts.

`Kiss her senseless!' Inuyasha's youkai told him.

`What?' he roared.

`Just do it, it'll make you feel better.'

`Shut-up.'

Kagome, however, was trying to decide whether to hit him or not.

“I'll do it then!” she yelled at him as he sat down.

“Fine by me. . . but you have to do it for a certain amount of time.”

Kagome eyed him. “How long?”

Inuyasha thought that over. “Until my birthday.”

“When's that?”

Inuyasha counted the days. “About a month.”

“A month! A whole month? How about a week?”

“No, a month.”

“A week.”

“A month.”

“Week!”

“Month!”

Week!”

Month, wench, month!”

Kagome and Inuyasha were, once again, standing in each other's face, their noses almost touching.

“Are you two sure you're not going out?”

They both snapped their gaze in the direction of the voice. “Souta,” Kagome growled dangerously. “I'm giving you to the count of two to disappear before I decide you're never leaving the house again.”

Her brother was unimpressed. “You're not mom, I don't have to listen to you.”

“Oh, you're right,” Kagome sighed. “I guess I'll just have to give mom that picture of you and- - -”

“Fine!” Souta interrupted, growing a little pink. “I won't say it again,” he grumbled.

Kagome nodded before turning to Inuyasha and considering him. After a long pause, she sighed. “Fine, a month. But no more than that!”

Inuyasha nodded. “Good, it starts today. Congratulations, you're officially my girlfriend.”

“Should I feel special?” she asked him sarcastically.

“Geez, no need to be so hostile,” Inuyasha murmured before grinning. “You know you were waiting for this day when you'd become my girl.”

Kagome thought about slapping his arm for a second before she remembered it wouldn't hurt, anyway. “Baka,” she mumbled darkly.

Inuyasha huffed and crossed his arms. “Damn straight!”

Kagome smiled at that. “We should be heading back soon, it's getting late.”

“Oi! I didn't get my pizza!”

Kagome sighed before going to the food bar to order several more slices of pizza. A couple minutes later, she went back to the hanyou and plopped the plate on the table in front of him. “There you go.”

She had barely sat down before Inuyasha was on the seconds piece. “Slow down! You're going to choke! It's not like anyone's going to take it from you.”

Inuyasha was chewing on the pizza like a rabbit did a carrot when he answered, not even bothering to stop eating for a second, “Hoes what `u `ow! `Ose `amn brwats could be back at `ny minwoot.”

She wrinkled her nose. “Don't talk with your mouth full of food, or with anything in your mouth, for that matter. . .”

Inuyasha didn't answer but inhaled another slice of pizza.

“Inuyasha? You're going to choke.” Inuyasha picked up the last slice and downed in less than five seconds. “Ugh, that's gross,” Kagome told him.

“Aw. . . but any girl of mine has to put up with it.”

She gave him a half-hearted glare. “Just shut-up.”

“Make me,” he teased.

Kagome's eyes narrowed at him. “We're leaving.”

“We were just getting to the best part,” Inuyasha remarked.

The nurse ignored him. “Souta, I'm leaving!” she called.

A few seconds later, her brother's head popped out of the bars in the top-most part of the jungle gym. “Later, sis. I'm staying here with Hatori!” he told her as his head disappeared again.

“C'mon, Inuyasha, we have to go.”

The hanyou gave a small pout before following her outside.

*

*

“I take it you don't want dinner, right?”

“No,” Inuyasha drawled.

Kagome rolled her eyes as she pulled into the parking lot and turned off the car. “Fine, you don't need to be so enthusiastic about it.”

“It's what I do best.”

“Of course; otherwise you wouldn't be Inuyasha.”

“Keh, be quiet wench, you're not making sense.”

She rolled her eyes before getting out.

*

*

“Okay, well, basically all that's left of the day is your session with Mr. Dai.”

“. . . Dammit, I was hoping you'd forget.”

Kagome smile at his hopeful expression. “That's one thing I don't do easily.”

“Yeah, yeah. . .” he grumbled as they entered the building.

Kagome frowned as she and her charge walked through the halls. `His personality changes quicker than I can snap,' Kagome told herself. `He was friendly and joking around a few minutes ago. . .' Kagome couldn't help but sigh. `It's like he wears a mask in here. . .'

“Here.” She gestured toward the entrance before turning and starting to leave.

Inuyasha watched her until she turned a corner before grudgingly going through the partly open door.

*

“Okay, so you're saying. . .?”

“I can have you out of here before your birthday if we work together.”

Inuyasha snorted. “If I've been in here the past few months with no one doing anything, what help are you going to be?”

“You just said it,” Mr. Dai told him.

“What?”

“You said no one did anything to help you; I'm going to try and get you out of here, because you don't seem mentally unstable to me. Do you think you're good to go?”

Inuyasha snorted. “I was never supposed to come here.”

“Really?”

“Yeap. I was against this idea from the start.”

The psychiatrist's brow creased. “Tell me, Inuyasha, how did you get here?”

“Uh. . . same way you did - car.”

“No, I mean how did you get to have to come here?”

Inuyasha sighed. He should have known that question was going to get popped soon.
“None of your business,” he said, shutting down his emotions.

“Do you still have contact with your family?”

“None of your business.”

Mr. Dai leaned back against his chair. “Did you have a girlfriend before yo came here?”
Inuyasha's thin patience snapped. “None. Of. Your. Business. Am I clear enough now?” the hanyou's voice dropped an octave as it hardened.

“Of course. I should have known you wouldn't just tell me,” he sighed as he dropped his pen to rub his temples.

“Yep, you should've.”

*

*

“You done here?” Kagome asked as she knocked on the door and opened it, only to see the hanyou and psychiatrist having what seemed to be a staring match.

“I was done the moment I stepped foot in here,” Inuyasha told her in a `duh' tone.

Mr. Dai merely nodded. “Yeap, we finished up a while ago.”

“Okay, Inuyasha, come one, I've got to take you back to your room now.”

Inuyasha gave a long-suffering sigh before standing and following Kagome out of the room and through the hall.

“Did you get anything done?” Kagome asked as they headed back to his room.

“If you call talking about things I'm no-way-in-hell going to answer, then no.”

“Oh, too bad.”

“Too bad? Are you kidding me?”

Kagome shrugged as she unlocked his door. Inuyasha opened it and held it for her.
She smiled her thanks before going in, Inuyasha following. They both sat on the bed - Inuyasha at the head, Kagome at the foot.

Suddenly, Kagome gasped. “Oh! I forgot to ask you my question!”

“What question?”

“The one to go with your dinner of pizza.”

“Oh. . . damn, your memory doesn't fail, does it?”

Kagome stuck out her tongue. “Okay, why do you seem. . .” she drifted off, a thoughtful expression etched across her features.

“What?” Inuyasha demanded.

“Well. . . you seem more at ease when you're not in here. Why?”

Inuyasha actually snorted. “Who wouldn't be more cheerful outside than in this. . . cage?”
Kagome shrugged. “I think there's more to it than that.”

“There's not.” But his tone was clipped and collected. He definitely wasn't telling the whole truth.

“Okay, do you want to play a game?”

Inuyasha quirked an eyebrow. “What game is it?”

“It's new. Instead of Twenty, Questions, we're going to play Ten Questions.”

The hanyou gave her a look. “It's not new, you made it up.”

Kagome shrugged. “So? Do you want to play? We each get five questions. And we have to answer every one.”

“There's nothing you can do that can make me answer a question if I don't want to,” he warned her.

Kagome smiled sweetly. “. . . Oh, we'll see about that.”

“Okay, I go first,” Inuyasha said. “Do you have any secrets?”

Kagome shook her head. “Nope, my life is a boring one. So, did you love that Kikyo person?”

Hell, no. Did you ever love someone?”

“Nope. No one was good enough for me.”

“. . . A bit stuck up, don't ya think?”

Kagome stuck out her tongue. “You're one to talk. . . Who's Rin, exactly?”

Inuyasha sighed. “A poor spirit that wandered away from her family, found Sesshoumaru, fell for the idiot, and now they plan to become mates sometime in the near future.”

“Oh. . .”

“My turn. Do you think Mr. Dai is a good psychiatrist?”

“I don't know. . . he's only been here a little while. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Now it's my turn. Do you hate Rin?”

“No, she's cool. . . not `cool,' but she's a sweet girl. . . the only thing I don't understand is how she feel for someone like Sesshoumaru.”

“How so- - -?”

“Oi, one question at a time.”

Kagome opened her mouth to protest, but ended up closing it, anyway.

“Thank you; now then, did yo always want to be a nurse?”

Kagome wrinkled her nose. “No, I used to think I was going to be famous. But didn't just about all little kids?” she rolled her eyes.

“Huh, no.”

“Wow, what an optimistic child you must've been. . .” Seeing the look she was receiving from Inuyasha, she continued, “Fine, fine. Hey, how come you hate your brother so much?”

He gave her a look that suggested she was stupid. “He's my half-brother; he's full-youkai, as such, he hates me. The feeling just happens to be mutual.”

“That's. . . awful.”

Inuyasha shrugged. “Not really.”

Kagome shrugged in turn, “If you say so. . .” but her tone was dubious. “Any way, it's your turn.”

“I know that, wench! I'm thinking! Do you like to read?”

Kagome was a little surprised. “Uh. . . sure. . . Did you always want to be an actor?”

“No, it just kinda. . . happened.”

“Happened?”

“Yep. So, here's a good question, if you were given the choice, would you want to be my girlfriend?”

Kagome thought about that. “I. . . I don't know.”

Inuyasha nodded. “Same here.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “So glad we're on the same page. Oh!” Kagome looked at her wristwatch. “I need to get Ellen. Guess I'll reserve my one question for when I really want it.”

“Hey, no fair! I want to reserve a question!”

“You used all yours!”

Inuyasha grumbled.

“I'll be back after I take Ellen to her room- - -”

“No.”
“What?”

Inuyas ha repeated himself. “No.”

“Why not?”

“I'm. . . going to go to bed early. In fact, now. Good night.”

Kagome sent him a curious look before relenting. “Okay, I'll see ya.”

She unlocked the door, Inuyasha got up and opened it, and was about to leave.
“Your brother's okay.”

Kagome's brow furrowed at the random comment. She looked over at him to see that his cheeks were a light pink.

`He's. . . He's basically apologizing for calling Souta names. . .' she told herself.
`Thoughtful. . . I would have thought he'd pretend it never happened. . .'

Then again, Inuyasha truly was a work of art.

“Right. Thanks. I'll tell him. Later.”

She left and closed the door.

Inuyasha sighed before walking over to the barred window and looking out over at the sun that had a part already hidden beyond the horizon.

“Here we go,” he murmured. He always hated this so much more than most. . .
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
(E/N: I'm sick, too. T-T It's not fun. Ok well gotta go byez.)

Yay–not so much. Guess what? I'm sick!

And yes, I know the title resembles chapter 17's title. But just smile and nod for me, okay? It was all I could think of.

And wow! 14 reviews? 14 reviews for chapter 28? That's a new record . . . (I know, I sound pathetic . . .)

Ja ne!