InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 24

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Today was to be an awkward day. Kagome had gone to bed knowing it, woke up expecting it.

Today she and Inuyasha were going to practice being a couple.

She had talked to the hanyou the day before. It had been weighing on her mind ever since they set a date for the party, and she knew that she had to broach the subject somehow. It just never seemed like a good moment to say “Hey, Inuyasha, everyone is going to be aware that were barely friends, let alone madly in love. Could we practice couple things for a day so it doesn't feel so forced?”

Gods. She wanted to bury herself from the embarrassment alone.

He had been out for the majority of the day. Kagome really wanted to make the conversation come natural. It was hard enough to do it in person, but Gods. If she had to do it over the phone? Where she couldn't gauge his reactions… ugh. No, it had to be in person.

She wondered if he would be home soon. She could never really tell what to expect from him. Some nights he would stay the entire night, some he wouldn't be home until late the next day.

But recently…

He had been staying in more.

And if she had to be honest, she kind of liked it.

The house was much bigger than her own, which had always been filled with people. Between Souta and mama and Gramps, never mind the patrons, she always had people around.

When Inuyasha was gone, it was just her.

But aside from that, she was beginning to like his company.

He could be blunt and he took a while to warm up to, but once he did… she discovered that he had a sense of humor. Things to say. Opinions and ideas about things other than getting laid.

Who knew?

She had sat down on the couch, curled up with a cup of tea and her book. If she had to wait, this was the way to do it.

~.~

Inuyasha walked through the door as quiet as he could. It had become a habit of his ever since Kagome had camped out in his living room. He had been so used to living alone, not having to give a fuck about other peoples needs, that it had been hard for him at first to get used to being considerate.

But sure enough, he did.

And it stuck with him.

He opened the door and breathed in the sweet scent of home. It smelled like clean laundry, the cleaning supplies that the maid used, and wildflowers.

It dominated everything.

How was it that every inch of this house could smell like her? It was as if her scent traveled to each and every corner, staking its claim.

And of course, it was mixed with his own.

It was husky, a woody smell. It became a mingled collaboration of earth and natural perfume. He stood in the door way taking it all in.

He loved it. Coming home, being overwhelmed by it, leaving the other crap behind him…

He had never had that feeling before.

Sure, he had lived in places far more grand than this. But they had never felt the same; never had the intimacy of this house. He utilized the rooms. There was no dead space. And most of all, Kagome was-

No, best not to think about that. It's a slippery slope.

He found that as the days went on he had to remind himself over and over that he couldn't keep her. She was just here as part of a deal.

That given the opportunity, she would be out of here in a heart beat.

He let out a deep breath, attempting to calm his demon. Her scent… their scent… it appeased the beast inside of him. He wasn't sure what he was going to do when its absence crashed into his life.

The hanyou arched a brow at the woman on the sofa.

Totally engrossed in her book, she hadnt even noticed he walked in.

A sly smile spread across his face. Was it that she was too engrossed in her story, or that she had become used to the sound of him being home?

Was it that she was too engrossed in her story, or that she had become used to the sound of him being home?

Inuyasha leaned over the couch and lifted the book from her hands. Kagome nearly jumped out of her skin, only to make eye contact with his amber orbs.

“Inu… Inuyasha…” She breathed, her chest heaving from the shock.

He couldn't help that his eyes were drawn to them. From this angle, he was ready to pounce on her.

“Always got your nose in a book. What is it this time? Natura healers or Shays anatomy?”

“Greys anatomy.” Kagome corrected. “But for your information, this is a just for me book. Pure fiction.” She smiled.

He could feel the corners of his mouth twitch up, wanting to smile with her. She was contagious like that.

“So what was with the heart attack?” She asked.

“Feh, you've gotta be more aware of whats going on around you. You didn't even notice that I came home.”

“Well, I didn't think I had to be on guard in my own home.”

The hanyou merely shrugged. “You cant take anything for granted.”

“I suppose.” She nodded. “Hey, Inuyasha- Ive been thinking…”

“Feh. Whats new.”

Kagome narrowed her eyes at his jab.

“this party… its to show that we really get along and are a happily married couple… but Im nervous that we wont be able to.”

“Feh, who give a damn what those people think.” He said.

“Well, I do.” Her voice was tender. “Gramps would be so humiliated if my relatives found out the truth.” Kagome nervously bit her lips, preparing herself for the next question. “So, I was thinking…”

“Spit it out already.”

“Maybe we could spend the day together and practice being a couple?”

“Huh?” He nearly had the wind knocked out of him.

What had she said?

“It wouldn't have to be anything crazy, but-“

“I don't do `couple' crap, wench.”

“I don't mean lets go out and buy matching shirts or anything. But, we are going to be expected to hold hands or touch… I was hoping that-“

Hm, hold hands? That had never really appealed to him. His claws had always been an issue.

And aside from that, it had always felt too clingy. He wasn't interested in caressing a womans hands unless they were going to pleasure him in return.

But touching… he could get behind that…

“-We could maybe spend the day together and just work in some physical stuff.”

Keh. She didn't have to ask him twice.

“It woulnt be any different than what we normally do, we just have to work it in.”

Friends with beneifits?

Benefits?

Fuck.

The hanyou knew he was getting ahead of himself. For fucks sakes, she was still a virgin!

“Like what?”

“I- I don't know! Just, typical relationship stuff…”

“Well, I don't do relationships, so youll have to explain better.” He probed.

`Ju-just holding hands. Maybe hugging. I don't know. We don't have to get super lovey dovey. Just enough that we can pull this off.”

Inuyasha was already in before he started giving her a hard time. He just couldn't resist seeing her checks pink from embarrassment.

“Feh. If your that worried about it, fine.” He said, crossing his arms.

“S-seriously?” She let out a breath of relief. “Great. So- tomorrow then.”

“Yep.” He tried not to sound too excited. He didn't want to let her know just how much he was looking forward to it.