InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 29

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“So, little brother, this is where you decided to live?” A cold voice said with displeasure.

“Obviously.” The hanyou grunted.

“There is something different about this establishment…” Sesshomaru commented.

“Keh, its just smaller than youre used to.”

“Maybe it's the style?” Kagome added.

“No. It must be that I came in here and didn't feel the need to get a penicillin shot after I visit. Tell me, how have you been handling this arrangement?”

Inuyasha felt his skin crawl. He disliked being around his brother at the best of times; he especially didn't like having him in his home- the first place that actually felt like it, and then following up his insults with more shots at his character.

“I-“

“Its going just fine.” Kagome said with a smile, linking her arm through his. He looked down from the corner of his eye at the sudden movement. It was calming. Reassuring.

And unexpected after the rollercoaster of emotions and bullshit that he had just gone through.

He wouldn't have guessed that this would be the outcome.

“A few bumps here and there, but we've worked through it. Right?” She asked Inuyasha, leading the way for him to take over the conversation.

“Feh. Its not any of his business.” He grunted, as he absent mindedly went to cross his arms over his chest, effectively removing her embrace.

The dog demon clicked his tongue in displeasure and left the two to their own devices.

That's when Inuyasha realized it.

Damn. He had been so flustered by his half brother that he had forgotten that he was so close to Kagome.

Touching her.

He instantly missed the warmth of her skin. What a waste.

What disturbing thoughts.

He turned slightly to look at her, not sure what words were hanging on his lips. He just knew he needed to say something. He wanted to keep her close by.

“Kago-“

“Oh Kagome! Tell me, where did you…” The Hanyou zoned out of the conversation. He couldn't be bothered to listen to what the woman had said, wanted or needed. Just that she had taken Kagome away.

“Keh.” He grumbled, turning in the other direction. What he needed was some peace and quiet. He told the wench that he would take part in this damn thing, but how far did he have to go? His head was killing him from all the noise. His senses were swimming from all the scents. It was too much. He wanted these damn people out, the windows open, some ramen and Kago-

“Hey you.” A stern voice called from down below.

Inuyasha cocked an eyebrow at the small kit glaring up at him.

“Keh.” Inuyasha said before turning away.

“H-Hey!” Shippo squawked. “I'm talking to you!”

“Feh.” Inuyasha replied nastily. “Who wants to talk to a runt with a bad attitude?”

“Fine. Ill just go and tell Kagome that you're hurting my feelings. I bet she-“

“What is it pipsqueak?” The hanyou said, cutting him off.

“I don't like you.” He replied, crossing his arms for effect.

“The feelings mutual. You made such a big deal to tell me that?”

“Listen doggy,” The fox kit said, earning him a fierce growl from said dog, “I don't like that youre married to Kagome. I don't like you being so close to her. Everytime I see her she reeks of you.”

“Well, that happens when you live together, runt.” Inuyash said, a sick smile on his face.

So the brat didn't like that Kagome smelled like him?

Well, that made sense. A demon wouldn't like the smell of another demon, espically a male… but too mad for the kid. She was his wife… his mate-

“I know I cant do anything about it, yet.” Shippo said. “But that doesn't mean I have to like it in the meantime. What I came here to tell you is to stay away from Kagome. Shes too good for you.”

“Feh.”

Inuyasha turned on his heels. He wasn't about to be insulted by a little kid.

“Just don't…” He caught the note of sadness… sincerity in his voice. “Just don't hurt her.”

Inuyasha didn't bother turning around to look at Shippo. He could smell the salt of his tears pooling in his eyes.

“Feh. Like I'd go out of my way to hurt her.”

He left the fox kit in his tracks, sniffling, slightly sated.

~.~

“So dear, how are things working out?”

“What made you choose this neighborhood?”

“Have you thought of coming to the company?”

“What does Inuyasha do all day? Ive always wondered…”

“A doctor? My how ambitious. You know, Ive had this rash…”

Kagome brought her hands to her temples and rubbed them. Her mind was racing from all the questions that everyone had asked her. Kept asking her. The same things over and over. The constant barrage of people wanting her attention. The strangers she was supposed to know. The guests that showed up that she didn't invite.

The looks from Inuyashas side…

It was all beginning to be too much.

Kagome didn't come from a very large family. And while her family at times could be chaotic, she enjoyed the intimacy of it. She knew Soutas favorite dishes and his annoying habits. Kagome pictured Mama in the kitchen, her pink apron tied tightly around her. That woman always wore a smile on her face.

And Gramps. She knew that he would start off by complimenting mamas food, and end the meal with a lecture. Kagome couldn't help but smile. She missed those dinners. She missed her home. The smell of it. The feel of it. The simplicity.

Now she was surrounded by people that looked like they wanted to eat her alive.

Many of them were business associates of Sesshomarus, some extended family. Inuyasha had been right- demons kept their circle tight. Everyone from his group knew each other- and well.

As for Kagome, she kept her list simple. Her family, of course, Sango and Kohaku. Shippo… There really wasn't too many people to invite. Apparently, she kept her circle small too.

Aside from the few family members and extremely close friends, everyone else here thought this to be a love match. No one would have guessed that arranged marriages were still taking place. And worse, for financial reasons. It was for all intents and purposes, a contract marriage.

It was shameful.

She knew that people would look down on it. That it offended others idea on the sanctity of the union. She had the feeling that's why the length of the contract was so long- so as not to arouse suspicion.

It was so hard to lie like this. It went against her conscious. When they asked if Inuyasha helped with the chores she had to laugh it off and answer vaguely. “As much as you'd expect.”

Or better yet, how did you meet?

“Mutual friends.” Friends of our elders counts, right?

But the one who had put the icing on the cake… the woman who had caused Kagome to walk away for a moment of peace…

“Thinking about babies yet?”

Kagome had started to chock on her drink when the woman asked her that.

“No, not right now.”

This of course had elicited a strange look from the woman. Not thinking of children yet? They were young and married and didn't want to reproduce?

“But children make a couple a family!”

“Im just… I have to finish school before I think of children, ma'am.” Kagome tried to say politely.

“School. Psh.” The woman countered, giving Kagome a wave of her hand. “You married into a rich family. There is no need for you to work. Your job is to produce-“

“Excuse me. I hear someone calling my name. Ill be right back.”

Kagome had walked away from that. Turned her back, with her jaw slack. She wasn't often a person who resorted to violence, but that lady was driving her insane.

She-

“C'mon.” A rough voice pulled her from her thoughts.

“Huh?” Kagome tilted her head up. “Inuyasha?”

“Lets go get some air.”

“We cant leave-“

The hanyou grabbed her hand.

“Our party. We can.”

Leading her out into the brisk night air, she followed mutely behind him. What was he doing?

He brought her over to the wooden swing and sat her down.

“Inuya-“

“You needed a break, right?”

She smiled at him.

“That obvious?”

“Feh. I just know you by now.”

“Oh, really?”

“Keh. That and I overheard.”

“You-“

Inuyasha tapped an ear.

“I pick up more than you realize, wench.”

“Oh great. That's the last thing I need to think about.”

“You snore, by the way.” He said off handidly.

“I! I do not!”

Inuyasha laughed. She looked so genuinely upset. It was…

Adorable…

Before he could help himself, he snaked a hand around her shoulder. He felt her tense at the sudden movement, but then relax into it…. Even leaning her head against his shoulder. The gentle rocking of the swing, the cool air, the scent of her surrounding him… he felt more content that he had in a long time.

That's why he couldn't suppress the growl that escaped him when he heard the sound of footsteps coming towards them. He gripped her a little closer to him, as if the introducer was going to take her away.

“So that's where you two went off too.” A kind voice said. Inuyasha instantly recognized it as that of her mother. Their scents were similar… she radiated kindness.

“Weve been looking for you two. Im orry to interrupt while you were so cozy.”

“O-Oh!” Kagome shot up and away from the hanyou. “Mama, we were just-“

“No need to explain, dear. Anyway, its getting late. We should really wrap this up, right?”

“Yeah. Thatd be great.” Kagome said with a sigh of relief.

“That was a nightmare.” Inuyasha said as they closed the door behind the last guest.

“Tell me about it. Lets not get pressured into anything like that again.”

Kagome walked over to the couch and flopped down. She felt the shift as the hanyou followed suit.

“Feh. Youre the one that insisted we do it.”

Reaching up to let down her hair, she laughed. “Yeah, but look how happy mama was. That alone is worth it.”

“Feh.”

His eyes followed as she shook her locks and it cascaded around her shoulders.

She was mesmerizing. Intoxicating. He was drooling just looking at her.

“Im gonna get changed… want to watch a movie?”

His mouth felt dry. He dumbly nodded his head.

“Alright. Ill meet you down here in 10.”

Inuyasha felt the vibration of his phone go off. Kikyo. Again.

What was it she wanted? She had become more persistent lately… but this was excessive for her.

He ignored the call and headed upstairs. He was looking forward to spending time with his wife.

If he had only known then just how much that night, that call would weigh on him… influence the coming days… he would have answered in a heart beat.

A/N:

Sorry for the wait! I was rethinking the plot for some of the later chapters… I got inspired! Sorry this was mostly filler. The next one will be up soon!