InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 47

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N:: This is the last chapter!

Inuyasha woke up to find an empty bed. But this was nothing new. He had not had a partner to keep him company in over six months.

He rolled over and sighed. He couldn't smell her scent any more. It had faded from the sheets, it no longer clung to the air. The house was overwhelming cloaked in his masculine scent.

The only room that still had any traces left of her fragrance was her bedroom.

Former bedroom.

There was still a few of her things in there, large furniture she did not need, items she said she would take care of later.

Getting up to greet the day, he made his way to the kitchen. Out of habit, his eyes moved to her place at the table; his ears lowered when he saw it empty.

`Three more days' He told himself. Three more days and she would finally be home.

Kagome and he had been divorced for nine months now, just about. Thanks to Kikyos impromptu speech at his welcoming party, it hadn't taken long at all for Kagomes reputation to take a hit, just as he knew it would.

Even though he knew Kagome knew that they were together for more than the money, he would be damned if other people were going to think that. He wasn't going to let anyone talk badly about his mate.

Keh, his mate.

It still sent a chill down his spine when he said it.

Before they had signed the divorce papers, Inuyasha had completed the mating ritual, much to the shock of- well just about everyone.

While many demons married, only a few mated. It was considered outdated for his generation. For those who had wealth, it was even more rare- there was no going back after mating, everything was joint.

Taking her as a mate had had a side effect too-

He had been driven to mark her by his demon, urged on by his need to utterly possess her; When they had handed Myouga the divorce papers, with Kagomes neck still raw from his mark…

It had satisfied his inheritance.

After all, there was no going back after a demonic mating ritual. More binding than marriage, their souls would be woven together for the rest of eternity, constantly seeking one another out.

Three years was a drop in the bucket.

The hanyou had been granted his inheritance.

He had been prepared to lose it, hell, he thought he had.

He would give it all up a second time for Kagome.

But when the ruling finally came in his favor…

It didn't feel as good as he thought it would. He found that he enjoyed earning his paycheck more than he liked the large sum in his bank account.

The best part was that Kagomes guilt was relieved. She had felt terrible that Inuyasha would have lost his inheritance. When he asked for the divorce, she fiercely asked him to reconsider, that he would regret it.

He didn't care.

As long as he had his her, he didn't give a fuck if he was penniless.

It was strange to be so far from his mate. He thought he had loved her before, missed her presence in the past…

Feh, that was nothing.

He actually ached for her. These last few months had been fucking Hell without her.

But when Kagome had been offered the prestigious offer to study under Dr. Smith in America, a physican she had idolized for years…

Well, there was no way he could tell her no or raise a single objection. Not with the way her eyes lit up at the very thought of it.

At first he had suggested going with her, and she adamantly refused him. He knew she was right, and that he had a job to do.

So he decided that he would fly down every weekend to spend time with her.

That hadn't worked out according to plan either. She had work to do, he had meetings. The time difference and long flights left them exhausted.

So they had settled on one weekend a month. Video chatting every day. Phone calls and texts to keep in contact.

Gods, he missed her.

It wasn't until she was gone that he realized how lonely his life had been until he met her. How terribly void of emotion and unfulfilled. She had given him a purpose.

Three days.

The hanyou also felt a bit anxious.

He had big plans for his woman.

While many of them involved pleasure, he did have something serious he wanted to discuss with her.

Ask her, to be more precise.

Even though they had mated, he was overwhelmed with the desire to be married to her once again.

He wanted to hold a ceremony, throw a party and watch her walk down the aisle.

Gods, he had taken it for granted the first time.

While she had been away, he started on the long, tedious task of finding her ring. The first one had been picked out by Myouga. It was a large diamond- gaudy and totally empty. When he thought back to her reaction to it, he laughed.

She was right. It was made for anyone, and bought with no particular person in mind.

He wouldn't let that happen to her twice.

But the more shops he went to, the more he realized nothing was suitable for her.

Nothing was worthy to go on her delicate hand.

Inuyasha thought back to when they purchased their home together. She wanted it to have a soul. He began to think that her ring needed the same feel.

Eventually, he started looking in antique shops. While he thumbed through the priceless gems worn by others, he still wasn't satisfied.

That was when he found it; It was fashioned on a necklace, a pink shard in a small vial.

The shop keeper told him that the jewel was attached to a local legend- that it was given to a mortal woman, and was once protected by a demon. It had been his most precious possession, and she guarded it with her life.

Inuyasha knew he had to have it.

He had the jewel shard cut and placed into a ring.

All he had to do was wait.

Three days.

Three days and he would have her back again in his arms.

Home.

Inuyasha couldn't wait.

~.~

It had been a long day.

Fucking brutal.

Inuyasha had to work through lunch.

He had to listen to his employees argue about the new design.

He had a surprise visit from Kikyo.

His secretary had rush in, and he immediately knew that something was wrong.

“Mr.Takahashi, I couldn't stop her from-“

Kikyo stood there in the door way, looking prim and proper. She wore a tight, conservative dress. Her hair was pinned back into a high bun.

She looked as powerful and icy as she had when they first met.

“Hello, Inuyasha.” She greeted without a smile.

“Should I call security-?”

“Its fine. Leave the door cracked.”

“Close it.”

“Open.” He commanded. “So that everyone can know this is a platonic visit.”

“Very well.” She conceded.

“What is it you want Kikyo?” He said as he crossed his arms.

“Yes. Well, as you know, since the incident-“

“You mean where you tried to make a fucking fool of me.”

“Where I was not at my best-“ She said sternly, “I have been in intensive therapy.”

“I'd heard.” He said.

“I have made great deal of progress.”

“That's good to hear.”

“Indeed.” He paused for a moment before she finished. “I will be moving next week.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, my therapist believes that I should travel… and that I need to be in a different environment. Im not sure if I will ever come back to Japan.”

“I- I see.”

“Before I go… I wanted to…” She looked fragile in that moment. Unpredictable. She walked up to Inuyasha and-

Bowed low.

“I apologize for my behavior.”

“Eh!” He was taken aback. He would have never believed that the proud Kikyo would bow to him- let alone anyone!

“I-its okay! Its alright. Stop, please.” He begged uncomfortably.

“Please pass my remorse on to her as well.” She asked, still unable to call his mate by her name.

“Ill let Kagome know.” He said.

“Yes. Well… Ill take my leave.” She said, turning away.

“Kikyo-“ He called out.

She turned her head to look at him.

“Good luck. I hope you find happiness.”

The corners of her mouth turned up into a soft smile. For a moment, she looked like the woman he had once cared for.

“Thank you.” She said.

And like that, she was gone.

While the encounter had gone well- hell, better than he thought it would be when they finally did run into each other- it had still been exhausting.

He turned off his car and took a deep breath.

He was glad to be home.

~.~

Inuyasha sat on the couch, a bowl of ramen in his lap. He saw no point in eating at the table when he was alone. And since Kagome was gone, his diet had consisted mostly of premade food.

Sure, he had the money to eat out. Hell, he could hire a live in chef.

But he missed the taste of her food, of the homemade meals she made.

Feh, its not like once the woman came back in three days Ramen was going to disappear from his life.

But as a doctor, she never stopped talking about health and sodium and how his favorite falvor was basically killing him. These were his last guilt free days of Ramen binging.

His ears twitched to the side at the sound of the door knob jiggling. Inuyasha furrowed his brows together as he heard a set of keys clank together and a key turn the lock.

She opened the door as Inuyasha jumped up from his seat.

Kagome.

He could smell her, her scent hitting him like a ton of bricks.

Inuyasha breathed in, filling his lungs with the sweetness.

Wild flowers.

His mate.

Kagome.

“Y-Your-“ He stumbled on his words.

“Im back!” She smiled as dropped her bags and ran into his arms.

“You weren't due back for-“

“Three days!” She finished for him. “Why, should I go back and-“

Inuyasha clutched her closer to him and growled.

“Im never letting you go again, woman. You've been gone too fucking long.”

Kagome stood on her tip toes to kiss him, loving the rumble that he instantly produced.

“I missed you too.” She smiled.

That was all he could take.

He had missed his woman for too long, needed her too long.

“I hope you've prepared yourself, woman.” He growled as he pushed his head into the crook of her neck, running his tongue over her mate mark,.

“Why do you think I caught an earlier flight, dog boy?” She whispered, bringing her hands up to rub the base of his ears.

Inuyasha smiled.

His woman was such a pervert.

~.~

Kagome stood in front of the mirror, smoothing down her dress. She had been here before.

In her childhood bedroom, preparing herself for the ceremony.

It was different this time.

As she sucked in a deep breath, it wasn't out of fear and anxiety. She was not dreading her partner.

She was trying her best not to cry. Her mother had spent so long perfecting her makeup that it would be a shame to leave tear stains down her cheek.

“You look beautiful, dear.” Her mother said as she admired her daughter in the mirror. “Who would have thought we would be doing this a second time?” She joked.

“And who would have imagined with Inuyasha?” Sango chimed in.

Kagome laughed in response.

“Now Sango, you know how fond I am on my son in law!” Mama said, quick to jump to his defense.

“Yes, yes I know.” She laughed. “Kagome told me he comes by to help Gramps with the shrine. I cant even imagine him-“

“Oh you should see how into it he gets Sango. Its not like he particularly likes to clean up the shrine. I think he likes to argue with Gramps and get spoiled by Mama.”

“I can see that.” Sango laughed as she put the finishing touches on Kagomes hair.

“Well, I need to have someone on my side about grandchildren!” Her mother said. “Inuyasha and I keep trying to convince her, Sango-“

“And I keep telling both of you in a few years.” Kagome smiled. “Ill have a pack of dog eared children to satisfy both of you soon enough.” She laughed.

“I am so very happy for you dear.” Her mother smiled.

If it hadn't been for her mother, pushing her along in the beginning, Kagome would not have found this happiness.

In the end, mother knew best.

“Are you all packed for your honeymoon?” She asked.

Kagome nodded, a slight blush coloring her cheeks.

“What about you?” She asked.

“Oh, Ive been packed for weeks!” Her mother answered excitedly.

When they had started to plan their honey moon, Inuyasha had noticed the gleam in her mothers eyes. She had spent her whole life working and caring for others, she had never gotten a chance to explore and see the world.

Inuyasha was sending her, Souta and Gramps on an extravagant trip. He wanted to thank them for taking such good care of Kagome, for bringing her into the world.

For being so kind to him, and having faith in their relationship.

For allowing him to marry her. To mate her.

To spend the rest of their lives together.

“Ready?” Mama asked as the music started to play.

Kagome looked out the window to look at her mate.

He was fiddling with his bow tie. She could tell he was anxious.

As Kagome walked down the path, the aisles filled with friends and family, looking up at her with kind smiles, the only thing she could focus on was Inuyasha.

He worn a large grin, his dangerous fangs on full display.

And his eyes- well, if Kagome had demon vision, she would know just how teary they looked.

She couldn't help but think how lucky she was.

She was marrying her best friend.

She had hated him at first.

She had wanted to back out of their contract.

She had hated his attitude, despised how he treated women.

She had grown to like him as he changed. Came to love him with every fiber of her being.

The first time they had met, she had cursed her ill luck, her lot in life.

As she stood before him, she smiled at her fate.

As long as it gave her Inuyasha, she would gladly make that deal with a demon any day.

A/N:: I cant believe its over! This fic took almost a year to write, its seriously been quite a journey! I want to thank everyone for reading and reviewing, and keeping up with my characters for such a long time! I hope everyone has enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Ill admit, im going to miss coming up with scenarios for this couple! I already have a few one shot spin off ideas for ADWAD, so stay on the lookout ;)