InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ a forgotten love and a forgotten child ❯ Kicking at Shadows ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Oh crud, it's been years since I even thought of this story! I'm not sure if there's even a point in going on since I doubt anyone even reads it nor do I remember where I was going with this? But I guess working on it wouldn't hurt.
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha nor any of its characters except Kaida.
Ch 18- Kicking at Shadows
***
How long had it been since she last saw her? More nights then Kagome even wanted to remember. It had been three years since her daughter had slipped out of her hands and her life. She tried endlessly to find her but all her efforts were in vain. The child had vanished. Fading posters with her smiling face began to tear off of walls and posts around Tokyo. They flew to the ground becoming nothing but waste. They were of use to no one.
Kagome ran her hand along the wood of the old Bone Eater's well. It had remained untouched in many years. Kagome sighed, “Inuyasha, if only you were here…” She had come to the terms that life with him would have been much better. Perhaps the night Kaida disappeared she would have been home with him instead of out in the streets. Everything would be different.
Kagome lowered her chocolate brown eyes trying to suppress the anger she felt towards her. The guilt and the desperation had almost eaten her half to death. Her life had been frozen; it had come to a complete stop the day she went away. She softly exhaled, “If only…” She had not been able to cross the well to the other side before. What would change now? When she thought Inuyasha could help find their missing child she thought of going back but the well had closed with no warning or explanation. Her chance had gone. There was no turning back now all she could do was kick at shadows and wish for the impossible.
“Kaida, I'll find you…”
***
She came to a stop. Her apple green eyes alert and unafraid. She was still a child but had grown much in the past years. Perhaps it was the demon in her but the girl was no longer the scrawny mutt that had arrived in to the feudal era years ago. She was thin, almost lanky but she was healthy and strong. She no longer flinched at the mere cracking of a branch nor the cry of a crow. She had become strong like her father taught her to be.
Quickly she found the perfect tree and jumped on it hauling herself up in to its leaves. She backed up against its bark digging her nails in to the wood. They had almost grown to their full potential. Years without being filed, cut or groomed had allowed the girl to grow to her true savage appearance. Yet the human in her was just as bright and alarming. She silenced herself as she heard footsteps approaching.
He sighed half annoyed with her antics. He could just not get here to stay still. But her understood for her wild blood had begun to take over. He had seen it coming. Still, he tried to prepare for it, “Kaida,” His voice rang out trying hard to remain patient, “I won't tell you again, pup.” His amber eyes scanned the area but he did not see her. However, her scent was in the air so close by.
Kaida took her position getting ready to pounce. When she saw her opportunity she let go jumping off the tree and landing on to her father, “Gotcha!”
“Heh, there you are, pup.” Inuyasha smirked playfully at his daughter hanging from his back.
“Did I scare you?” She asked, her green eyes shinning.
Inuyasha gave out a soft chuckle, “As if, kid. Now c'mon let's go home.”
Kaida squirmed off of his back and landed on the grassy floor with a soft thud, “Race you there!” she began to run off when Inuyasha plucked her up over his shoulder's by the back of her kimono. “Keh, where do you think you're going, pup?”
“Awh, papa. Its just a race.” She grumbled looking back in to the forest. Her eyes always scanned the area as if she would once more see the shinning white glow of the woman who had saved her life.
***
A/N: “I was a bit rusty in this chapter and perhaps the next one will be longer.” Well, that was an intolerable lie. Anyway guys, I seriously have no excuse for why I stopped on this fanfic. Perhaps it was the virus that attacked my computer years ago, or maybe it was the never-ending writer's block. Maybe I simply lost interested. I don't know but seeing as the last chapter was updated in 2009 and it is now in fact 2012, well damn I honestly cannot remember where I left off. So I decided to try something new and continue in a newer direction. Not to fear it will have the same story line and I will try to explain the giant ass cliffhanger I left off on. If I could only remember. Anyway, I'll try my best so if you still miraculously read this fic then bare with me and thank you for remaining after my long absence! If you didn't…then I understand.